View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Hi,
    interesting discussion about the dumb tablet.
    I just want to add a few thoughts. I think as a consumer device a full tablet is in most cases the better choice.
    But there maybe a place for a dumb tablet when it comes to productivity. When you can pair a dumb screen/keyboard peripheral with your smartphone, you get a - almost - full laptop. And you can be sure, that all your data/work goes with you, when you disconnect from the peripheral.
    When you only need a browser, communication apps, and office apps to do 99.9 % of your work - maybe a good idea. No need to manage a second device.
    In my case the value resides in the fact that I would like one brain (one hard drive or folder) where all my stuff is, so it would make sense the smartphone becomes the center, and that you connect whatever else you need in terms of peripherals. This way, you always have all you need with you, including files and docs, picture music, etc. One might argue this is what cloud services offer, which is true, but security, bandwidth and other things are still a bit of a deterrent for me. I know I am late to the discussion but wanted to chime in in the end. Would be interesting to have on poll on that and hear what other members are thinking...

Over and out

Sent using my ? Z30
    05-07-14 06:18 AM
    I think the price fell because the real estate deal was seen as a fire sale at $150M or more LESS then what some people had hoped for and it also reinforces the survival mode mentality. I still think it is the right and only option left at this point, but a much lower price and reminding the market you are selling off assets and not buying them isn't good. You can try to argue that owning RE isn't a core funtion of BBRY and that would be true, but growing companies usually expand and buy RE. Either way, BBRY has a chance to recover under this plan so taking its medicine is worth it in the long run.
    Meh. How much did they downsize their workforce?

Why would they need anywhere near to the same level of real estate at the moment?
    05-07-14 06:47 AM
    How about we call it a 'smart tablet' instead of a 'dumb tablet'? Would that make you feel better?

A tablet that can surf the net and watch basic 1080p. but if you want to get into something that requires more processing power, it requires a paired device of some sort.
    05-07-14 06:49 AM
    Screw tablets. Mine is mostly unused. I'd rather use a laptop

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    05-07-14 07:59 AM
    It must suck when your $800 ipad is now considered e-Waste.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140507_082603.png

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    05-07-14 08:04 AM
    Meh. How much did they downsize their workforce?

Why would they need anywhere near to the same level of real estate at the moment?
    I totally understand that and am behind the plan, but reducing employees also is not an obvious sign of growth. My thought was that the stock price fell because of the price and that it reminded Wall St that BBRY is in the shrink to survive mode. It makes total sense to do so under BBRY's circumstances, but BBRY's circumstances are tenuous.

In the end the RE sale, like channels and stickers and a lot of the other stuff is a momentary side show. If they can sell BES10/12 to large corporations and governments then they can survive and maybe even prosper. If not, they are sunk. As always JMHO...........
    05-07-14 08:19 AM
    I'm wondering who the puppet master is concerning all the security leaks all of a sudden? Is it a coincidence they appear when JC comes aboard? Is it a coincidence he did a tour of all the largest banks and the Whitehouse? Hmmm...things that make ya go hmmm.

In any event...I like it!

I say K cuz I can't spell K.
    05-07-14 09:30 AM
    I'm wondering who the puppet master is concerning all the security leaks all of a sudden? Is it a coincidence they appear when JC comes aboard? OS it a coincidence he did a tour of all the largest banks and the Whitehouse? Hmmm...things that make ya go hmmm.

In any event...I like it!

Definitely a conspiracy. Obviously, Illuminati.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    05-07-14 09:38 AM
    With genuine respect to our chart experts, I'm not sure it's possible to predict a darn thing with BB right now. Although I never pay any attention (or little) to TA anyway, I do respect that many people find value in it. I just wonder where the limit of usefulness is when there are this many unpredictable short to medium term factors involved.

ZayDub likes this.
    05-07-14 10:27 AM
    Definitely a conspiracy. Obviously, Illuminati.

Oh please....

bungaboy likes this.
    05-07-14 10:32 AM
    It must suck when your $800 ipad is now considered e-Waste.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140507_082603.png 
Views:	1314 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	268341

Posted via CB10
    If I were a big Blackberry fan I would not be cutting the iPad or maybe you do not remember poor Blackberry's attempt at a tablet! Bashing Apple will not do a thing to help Blackberry. The people here are sold on BB so they need no convincing.
    techvisor and CDM76 like this.
    05-07-14 10:54 AM
    BBM for Android on Google Play supasses 50 million downloads

BBM for Android on Google Play supasses 50 million downloads - BlackBerry Empire

Thanks Billy
    05-07-14 11:01 AM
    BlackBerry introduces new mobility management and security monitoring services for its enterprise platform offering and other mobile device products

http://blog.executivebiz.com/2014/05...eran-comments/

Posted via swift BlackBerry ? Z30!
    05-07-14 11:04 AM
    BlackBerry Ltd Making Progress In Its Turnaround

Investors may learn more about BlackBerry's future plans at RBC Capital Markets Boston CommTech Day

BlackBerry Ltd is making good progress in its turnaround. According to a report from RBC Capital Markets, published on May 5, 2014, things are looking much better at the Canadian firm, �with the restructuring achieved� a quarter earlier, and also hardware profitability now �seeming within reach�. Now, according to analysts Mark Sue, Paul Treiber and Ameet Prabhu, the focus of the company should be to stabilize the enterprise subscriber base.

Catalysts going forward

Many BlackBerry Ltd loyalists are now buying the BB-10, but some are still considering other options. BlackBerry�s EZ Pass allows a user to freely upgrade BES10 from the earlier version, and �competing MDM vendors to stem attrition.� BlackBerry is expected to come out with BES 12 in November, which according to analysts, would be a good catalyst for users to upgrade from the older versions. However, analysts believe that the company�s service revenue, which declined 13%-15% quarter over quarter, may feel the pressure.

BlackBerry Ltd holds over 50% of the auto infotainment OS market, accounting for more $100 million in annual revenue. The strength in the auto sector reflects �positive testament of the stability and reliability of QNX�s real-time micro-kernel architecture,� according to analysts. How much the company can further capitalize on this segment remains to be seen.

BBM service enjoys around 85 million active monthly users, compared to 60 million before launching the app on iOS and Android. According to analysts, BlackBerry Ltd could use its messaging app to differentiate its enterprise service from other vendors, as the Canadian firm is the only MDM vendor that also has a messaging platform. However, in consumer segment, the company is well behind rivals like WhatsApp and iMessage.

Margins to improve for BlackBerry

Even before the official launch on May 13, BlackBerry Z3 �Jakarta� is now available for pre-order. Analysts believe that the device, which is manufactured by Foxconn, may improve the margins for the Canadian company. A second run of the Bold at contract-manufacturer Wistron, could also have positive impact on the handset margins for BlackBerry. Analysts expect handset margins to show improvement in the first quarter of 2015 based on the strong Z3 pre-orders and Bold transition. How the company will sustain the margins long term is still a question.

BlackBerry Ltd�s balance sheet �appears strengthened,� which according to analysts, will give the company more time to effect a turnaround. Improved financials will also help the smart phone maker to achieve its milestones including a cash flow break-even by the end of FY15.

The RBC Capital Markets analysts have a Sector Perform rating on BlackBerry Ltd with a price target of $11.
    05-07-14 11:21 AM
    With genuine respect to our chart experts, I'm not sure it's possible to predict a darn thing with BB right now. Although I never pay any attention (or little) to TA anyway, I do respect that many people find value in it. I just wonder where the limit of usefulness is when there are this many unpredictable short to medium term factors involved.
    The following quote is a case in point.

We will likely be trading within the $ 7.00 to $ 9.00 channel until we get some news to drive us up a tier.
    Let's consider that statement. The stock was around $8 when it was written. That the stock will trade within the $7 to $9 channel is a prediction that the stock price could fluctuate down 12% or up 12% until some material news comes around.

You could make the same prediction for every single stock on NASDAQ and have a 99% success rate in your prediction. You don't need to create a chart or even look at a chart make this statement.
    techvisor and chr1sny like this.
    05-07-14 11:38 AM
    Good Grief, no support today, not sure if I should get back in. I can not believe we are going back to the $6 range again. This can't still be over the real estate sales.
    05-07-14 12:10 PM
    How about we call it a 'smart tablet' instead of a 'dumb tablet'? Would that make you feel better?

A tablet that can surf the net and watch basic 1080p. but if you want to get into something that requires more processing power, it requires a paired device of some sort.
    Don't call it anything tablet, IMHO. Its more likely a touch i/o peripheral, nothing more. And that's what I need for 80% of my daily usage and for the 20% left, no tablet can help.
    05-07-14 12:13 PM
    Well, the price movement today is certainly unnerving...

No idea what's going on, especially since I've seen small improvements, a slight uptick, in BlackBerry's standing in the States lately.

Maybe we'll be lucky and someone is stop hunting, trying to accumulate on the cheap. -_-

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 12:18 PM
    Biggest bloodbath we've had in a little while...

Anyway, I've got a question on another topic: can anyone explain the reasoning behind BlackBerry not having dropped the price of the Q10 and Z30 very much ? Obviously they aren't going to start selling in large numbers and are only getting older...assuming they aren't going to sell out the inventory, is there any good reason for them leaving them piled up in a warehouse ? it's an honest question - I'm guessing there is some kind of answer ?

05-07-14 01:21 PM
    What's the deal with the stock price bloodbath ? A couple days ago tickling $ 9. Today under (well under) $8. Anyone with insight as to what's crushing the berry right now ??
    05-07-14 01:27 PM
    What's the deal with the stock price bloodbath ? A couple days ago tickling $ 9. Today under (well under) $8. Anyone with insight as to what's crushing the berry right now ??
    Well under, it is closing in on under $7 range again. All the recent gains gone and then some. No news alerts to explain.

BUT, I think I am going to get in big time before the day is out, no way this could happen three days in a row!

Is there? (gulp)
    georg4BB and techvisor like this.
    05-07-14 01:38 PM
    God help me, I am in at $7.24 x 10K shares.
    Mr BBRY, q649, techvisor and 1 others like this.
    05-07-14 01:48 PM
    I think the market caught wind of all this dummy tablet talk...

randall2580 and Shanerredflag like this.
    05-07-14 02:04 PM
    Biggest bloodbath we've had in a little while...

Anyway, I've got a question on another topic: can anyone explain the reasoning behind BlackBerry not having dropped the price of the Q10 and Z30 very much ? Obviously they aren't going to start selling in large numbers and are only getting older...assuming they aren't going to sell out the inventory, is there any good reason for them leaving them piled up in a warehouse ? it's an honest question - I'm guessing there is some kind of answer ?

In one of the forums, maybe even this one, it was revealed that the employee store isn't well stocked with those phones indicating 1) that they don't have huge stockpiles of them and 2) they are selling through what they have.

So until they bring the next new phone out dropping the prices on those phones wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    zyben and bungaboy like this.
    05-07-14 02:07 PM
    What's the deal with the stock price bloodbath ? A couple days ago tickling $ 9.
    What's the opposite of a bloodbath? April 28 BBRY had a low of $7.20. Four days later it had a high of $8.22. Now three days later again and we're pretty much back where we started. So if the downside is a bloodbath what would you, using comparable hyperbole, call the upside rise?
    05-07-14 02:25 PM
113,256 ... 25972598259926002601 ...