View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I think the thing some of us are missing is that it isn't simply about what technology can or might be capable of, but also what human beings will find to be of value to them.

A device of any kind that is dependent on another device is inherently weak. Independence is better than dependence, and when the technology is there for both models, the dependent model has no value. Sure we could have tablets tethered to phones, but who cares? Why would that be better than having a tablet that doesn't require something else in order to work? The argument for tethered tablets is an argument for tablets that are LESS useful than the ones we currently have, not an argument that tablets will be obsolete.

With genuine respect, dummy tablets are a complete waste of time. People will prefer the overwhelming burden of having to decide which device with which to make a phone call, or do whatever else.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    05-06-14 01:04 PM
    Agree. And for people like you, there are already many many choices in the market.
    With dummy tablet model, the phone screen doesn't have to be turn on. Therefore the battery life in the phone will be at least couple of days (z30) and dummy tablet will last longer because of less CPU power.
    I currently have very limited use for my ipad.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    05-06-14 01:06 PM
    With dummy tablet model, the phone screen doesn't have to be turn on. Therefore the battery life in the phone will be at least couple of days (z30)
    As long as you aren't browsing all day on your dumb tablet, keeping your smartphone from going into standby. If your smartphone battery dies then you have two nonfunctional devices so keep an eye on that smartphone that you aren't using.
    05-06-14 01:12 PM
    I don't know about you but in my life, something that takes up tablet-sized space better do something a lot more useful than a $100 item. I'm talking about something on my desk, coffee or kitchen table, in my hands or my pocket, in a restaurant, at work or in a classroom. The first time I pick up that dumb tablet and realize that, because my smartphone is upstairs, it's a paperweight, it would go directly in the trash - $100 wasted or not.

I mean, my garage door opener and my thermostat are on wifi, so I don't think I would have any use for a tablet that isn't.
    Why would it matter that the tablet need to be in the same room if they're both connected to the same wifi?

Why couldn't a family have a whole stack of them they could just trade around and pair them personal mobile computing devices, which is where the real processing power will be stored.

An office could have stacks of them replacing entire reams of paperwork while still giving a means for low cost physical devices.

How about a simple epaper device? Stores books and documents locally for reading, but when paired with your phone can be used for signing off without tying the signature into the memory of the peripheral where it becomes vulnerable.

The display, touch controls, et al are all peripheral to core processing functions, which where mobile computing should be heading in the long term.
    05-06-14 01:21 PM
    If the paradigm shifts from desktops to mobile devices, the peripheral paradigm has to shift with it.

It also represents a way to further subdivide the ecosystem without sacrificing variety.

By tying the system to the 'tablet computing' model instead of the simpler mobile computing model, we lose mobility to gain... what exactly?

Would you rather leave your simple peripheral tablet at work, throw only your phone in your pocket and ride the subway back home and just switch the sync over to a personal tablet... or would you rather be stuck carrying that tablet expensive tablet home on the subway because it's intellectual property security is physically tied to the tablet itself, not just your phone.

The business model is flawed from a mobile computing standpoint. It's just begging to be overturned.

Apple likes to stuff its OS into peripherals and call it revolutionary. Ala CarPlay.

QNX's microkernel design allows things to move the other way while BBRY's technology maintains inter-device security.
    05-06-14 01:33 PM
    dummy means. screen. battery and and low power chip to send receive commands to and from phone. more like a blackberry bridge. it is just a display of a phone projected on dummy screen. just like apple's great innovation of ICARPLAY display using the QNX. this display will not have any camera, compass, gyros, Gps, high power chip etc. etc. etc.
    it will not store any info other than than short term touch screen info.
    • No Camera... then no BBM Video or equivalent Video of IP. No taking advantage of using the larger screen to view a picture to see if you need to take another right away.
    • NO... GPS. No gaming using the orintation of the tablet.
    • No.. Compass No VR app, no StarTracker..
    • As for iCARPLAY using QNX... what is QNX running on?

Look at this list of components that go into making of the Nexus 7 Table or Kindle Fire (this was July 2012). At that time it cost $139 to manufacture the Kindle Fire. Can it be done cheaper... of course with today prices and with lower end components you might could shave another $20 or $30 dollars. But this give you an idea of how little dropping the Memory would save you, how little going with a basic processor or no processor (if possible) would affect overall cost.

Attachment 268172

As a minimum you would need

• Display with Touchscreen
    • User Interface Combo Module - WLan/BT/NFC...
    • Power Management
    • Battery
    • Mechanical/Eletro/ Other (Body,Frame, cables...)
    • Box (boxing, charger...)
    • Manufacturing Cost

At best you'll cut $27 off the cost of manufacturing the Kindle Fire. So a $200 Kindle Fire would then only cost you $160... Assuming there aren't other cost considerations or technology requirements to allow this to work. Maybe a $125 cheap tablet today would only cost $100... but it will be a lower resolution tablet with a smaller battery.

I just think that when it comes down to what most people will still expert the device to do, and what the individual components are worth.... a "dumb" tablet is going to be a "dumb" purchase. Saving 20% - 30% is not going to be enough of a cost savings.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    05-06-14 01:42 PM
    As long as you aren't browsing all day on your dumb tablet, keeping your smartphone from going into standby. If your smartphone battery dies then you have two nonfunctional devices so keep an eye on that smartphone that you aren't using.
    agreed. so power management as we all do it right now. but both devices may have longer lasting battery time as a result of new arrangement. one not using high power CPU and the other with screen off.
    05-06-14 01:42 PM
    ok, so with today's cheaper prices, "dummy tablet should be less than $40. LoL
    umm. let me add camera for another $7.
    hey bungaboy, is $50 ok or should i reduce it to $25?

after purchasing z30, now 5s and ipad ratina air looks like a dumb purchases to me now. not sure why i spent money on those products? (i know z30 is too late)
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-06-14 01:44 PM
    I think the market for tablets is saturated, not that it's dying. Look the iPad 2 worked just fine and they sold it until just a few months ago.

Anyone who has a 2 and higher has no real need to upgrade. It's the same for Android tablets that run Jelly Bean and higher. At least phones have subsidies so folks generally upgrade every 2 years because it's not a big pile of money to do so. Tablets are bought for full price and folks are happy to just keep what works till it doesn't.
    sidhuk likes this.
    05-06-14 01:46 PM
    In the '1st World' people won't care about the bloat.

When you start talking m2m ubiquity there are certain logistical requirements that will need to be addressed.

QNX and BBRY are the best positioned to meet these logistical requirements.

What better way than to start than to revolutionize the Indonesian smartphone paradigm, followed by a new line up of connected peripherals they can manufacture and sell in Indonesia at the same plants they're building the phones.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-06-14 01:56 PM
    FWIW, and like most things in my life I am sure I will be in the minority on this.......But I would rather a dummy tablet at marginally less even the same cost than a fully functioning one. I HATE managing multiple devices...hate it. I would go so far as to say I would pay the same for a Dummy tablet as a standalone becaue the value of having to manage one device trumps the cost (+ or -) for me.

The other factor in the cost arguement is that a Dummy tablet has a static cost. You are comparing what the potential base cost of a dummy unit might cost to bottom of the line tablets. There is no upcharges for adding more memory or adding data ability (sim card), its all in the phone device. If you have a ballz out phone with all the memory and processing power you need, the tablet doesn't need any of that .... just enough to properly miricast over. This means I have a ballz out tablet without paying with my ballz......AND I only manage one device. Suddenly that cost delta gets pretty big .... n'est-ce pas ?
    05-06-14 01:57 PM
    Houston,

We had a problem today!
    05-06-14 03:02 PM
    Houston,

We had a problem today!
    Most all the Techs took an azz kicking today.

Look at the bright side .... could be worse, we could all be participating in a thread called "I support TWTR and I buy shares"
    05-06-14 03:05 PM
    05-06-14 03:38 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-md-mdms-160.jpg

It looks like this chart is counting all mobile phones including basic mobile phones. Interestingly, they separate BB10 and BBOS. Added together, they would be 0.3% of total mobile phone sales (1.3M smartphones).
    05-06-14 04:18 PM
    Hey M8!

Would you mind sharing your analysis on recent BBRY news/charts? I see that the 50 is about to touch or cross the 200 MA which of course is a bad sign. I personally don't think this would effect the SP because even with golden cross it didn't do much but i'm hoping it'll hold because its predicting a long term uptrend. Thoughts?

much appreciated!
    05-06-14 05:27 PM
    Hey M8!

Would you mind sharing your analysis on recent BBRY news/charts? I see that the 50 is about to touch or cross the 200 MA which of course is a bad sign. I personally don't think this would effect the SP because even with golden cross it didn't do much but i'm hoping it'll hold because its predicting a long term uptrend. Thoughts?

much appreciated!
    I'll give you a fast chart!!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-chart-may-6-2014.png

There isn't that much going on right now, we developed a double top at $ 10.72/shr/US and from there, we dropped back to support for 2 1/2 months straight with $ 9.00 seeming to hold. That $ 9.00 mark was conceded awhile back and our new range is $ 7.00 to $ 9.00 and this is where we are today. The general market sold off today pulling the stock below it's 3-ema which stalled the rally to $ 9.00/shr, but only for a day or so. We will likely be trading within the $ 7.00 to $ 9.00 channel until we get some news to drive us up a tier. So far, I like what is happening and have always felt that this recovery would take the better part of this year with it ramping in a big way in the Fall. GL
    05-06-14 07:40 PM
    BlackBerry Upgraded by Oppenheimer to ?Market Perform? (BBRY) - American Banking News:

http://www.americanbankingnews.com/2...-perform-bbry/

I say K cuz I can't spell K.
    05-06-14 09:23 PM
    And...we already know this but nice that the word is spreading.

BlackBerry may launch Skype-like VoIP service: official - Emirates 24/7

http://www.emirates247.com/business/...05-05-1.547926

I say K cuz I can't spell K.
    sidhuk, jxnb, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    05-06-14 09:25 PM
    "The first time I pick up that dumb tablet and realize that, because my smartphone is upstairs, it's a paperweight, it would go directly in the trash - $100 wasted or not.

"I mean, my garage door opener and my thermostat are on wifi, so I don't think I would have any use for a tablet that isn't." [/QUOTE]

Exactly.

05-07-14 01:06 AM
    Yesterday's volume was only 7.441.019 shares which is too low. It indicates that although we had a downday, there wasn't enough selling power. The price fell because there wasn't any interest from the investors. It's a good sign when we see a falling price with low volume and a rising price with strong volume.
    05-07-14 03:14 AM
    • No Camera... then no BBM Video or equivalent Video of IP. No taking advantage of using the larger screen to view a picture to see if you need to take another right away.
    • NO... GPS. No gaming using the orintation of the tablet.
    • No.. Compass No VR app, no StarTracker..
    • As for iCARPLAY using QNX... what is QNX running on?

Look at this list of components that go into making of the Nexus 7 Table or Kindle Fire (this was July 2012). At that time it cost $139 to manufacture the Kindle Fire. Can it be done cheaper... of course with today prices and with lower end components you might could shave another $20 or $30 dollars. But this give you an idea of how little dropping the Memory would save you, how little going with a basic processor or no processor (if possible) would affect overall cost.

Attachment 268172

As a minimum you would need

• Display with Touchscreen
    • User Interface Combo Module - WLan/BT/NFC...
    • Power Management
    • Battery
    • Mechanical/Eletro/ Other (Body,Frame, cables...)
    • Box (boxing, charger...)
    • Manufacturing Cost

At best you'll cut $27 off the cost of manufacturing the Kindle Fire. So a $200 Kindle Fire would then only cost you $160... Assuming there aren't other cost considerations or technology requirements to allow this to work. Maybe a $125 cheap tablet today would only cost $100... but it will be a lower resolution tablet with a smaller battery.

I just think that when it comes down to what most people will still expert the device to do, and what the individual components are worth.... a "dumb" tablet is going to be a "dumb" purchase. Saving 20% - 30% is not going to be enough of a cost savings.
    Your demonstration is OK, but I'm not talking ($100 range) about a tablet.
    I'm talking about, basically, a wide touch screen, an accessory, that's not a tablet paradigm, that's a wifi/BT/NFC peripheral. This peripheral can connect to your ... tablet, laptop, desktop, connected TV/multimedia (as a controler ?) and use their functions. All of these devices provide a network connectivity, so that your smartphone being away is not a problem ... unless you want to use it on that screen
    All you need is a browser and a ROM [light] OS (QNX ?) with instant on/off and everlasting battery life.
    It has to be light, solid ... even waterproof
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-07-14 at 03:26 AM.
    05-07-14 03:15 AM
    Hi,
    interesting discussion about the dumb tablet.
    I just want to add a few thoughts. I think as a consumer device a full tablet is in most cases the better choice.
    But there maybe a place for a dumb tablet when it comes to productivity. When you can pair a dumb screen/keyboard peripheral with your smartphone, you get a - almost - full laptop. And you can be sure, that all your data/work goes with you, when you disconnect from the peripheral.
    When you only need a browser, communication apps, and office apps to do 99.9 % of your work - maybe a good idea. No need to manage a second device.
    morganplus8 and Superfly_FR like this.
    05-07-14 03:59 AM
    I'm tapping out of this dummy device debate. I'd never buy one, think it's an utterly pointless idea, and sincerely hope BlackBerry never even think about it, but we all have a right to our hopes and dreams. Give me a tablet that isn't dumb all day long.

05-07-14 04:39 AM
    Yesterday's volume was only 7.441.019 shares which is too low. It indicates that although we had a downday, there wasn't enough selling power. The price fell because there wasn't any interest from the investors. It's a good sign when we see a falling price with low volume and a rising price with strong volume.
    I think the price fell because the real estate deal was seen as a fire sale at $150M or more LESS then what some people had hoped for and it also reinforces the survival mode mentality. I still think it is the right and only option left at this point, but a much lower price and reminding the market you are selling off assets and not buying them isn't good. You can try to argue that owning RE isn't a core funtion of BBRY and that would be true, but growing companies usually expand and buy RE. Either way, BBRY has a chance to recover under this plan so taking its medicine is worth it in the long run.
    bizzarothor likes this.
    05-07-14 05:11 AM
113,256 ... 25962597259825992600 ...