View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    The flip side is the Apple situation in which perception is so astonishingly positive that facts fade into the background and sales money pours in regardless of minor to medium level disasters.
    Something you cannot fight against unless you can spend piles of $ - negative or no margin - for years (as Samy did/does) ...
    georg4BB, Mr BBRY, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    05-06-14 05:03 AM
    Something you cannot fight against unless you can spend piles of $ - negative or no margin - for years (as Samy did/does) ...
    Creating a powerful culture of one's own is the other way to SLOWLY challenge Apple's dominance, but that too takes time and certainly isn't free.

I'm not sure if Apple spent loads of money to create its own brand image (honestly do not know). For BlackBerry, the best thing is probably to focus on its own culture and on dominating areas they can dominate (yes, enterprise) while simply holding the line in other areas. For me, BBM is that potential wonderful wildcard: having that little BlackBerry logo on people's phones of all kinds has tremendous potential and is a hell of a lot cheaper than huge marketing campaigns. Patience is indeed key.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    05-06-14 07:16 AM
    Hard to believe this thread is closing in on 65,000 replies and is just a month or so from 3,000,000 views.
    jxnb, rarsen, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    05-06-14 09:57 AM
    Creating a powerful culture of one's own is the other way to SLOWLY challenge Apple's dominance, but that too takes time and certainly isn't free.
    You guys are overly analyzing this. Apple's dominance can be plained attributed to "first movers advantage". The original iPhone was a radically innovative device. Since its introduction, no other smartphone from any OEM (including newer models from Apple) have offered a fraction of the innovation that the original iPhone introduced. "First movers advantage" is a well documented phenomenon.

Apple's success has little to do with advertising (which is modest vs. Samsung) or some crazy self contrived background story. Most of the story is actually the work of Apple's fans/technophiles rather than the company. Apple doesn't push a bunch of commercials featuring the Apple II or Microsoft bailing out the company or Steve Jobs being expelled and founding NEXT, etc. etc. As a matter of fact, I read an article about how many/most Asians didn't even know who Steve Jobs was when Steve Jobs passed away.

The problem for Blackberry and other OEMs is "first movers advantage" cannot just be replicated by manufacturing another touchscreen slab smartphone with some slightly tweaked OS/software. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Before Blackberry can realize Apple's success, Blackberry must actually invent an equally groundbreaking product. Once that happens, shares will skyrocket and investors can have their $100/share party.
    slipstream89, sidhuk and JLagoon like this.
    05-06-14 09:58 AM
    You guys are overly analyzing this. Apple's dominance can be plained attributed to "first movers advantage". The original iPhone was a radically innovative device. Since its introduction, no other smartphone from any OEM (including newer models from Apple) have offered a fraction of the innovation that the original iPhone introduced. "First movers advantage" is a well documented phenomenon.

Apple's success has little to do with advertising (which is modest vs. Samsung) or some crazy self contrived background story. Most of the story is actually the work of Apple's fans/technophiles rather than the company. Apple doesn't push a bunch of commercials featuring the Apple II or Microsoft bailing out the company or Steve Jobs being expelled and founding NEXT, etc. etc. As a matter of fact, I read an article about how many/most Asians didn't even know who Steve Jobs was when Steve Jobs passed away.

The problem for Blackberry and other OEMs is "first movers advantage" cannot just be replicated by manufacturing another touchscreen slab smartphone with some slightly tweaked OS/software. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Before Blackberry can realize Apple's success, Blackberry must actually invent an equally groundbreaking product. Once that happens, shares will skyrocket and investors can have their $100/share party.
    I think you are overly-simplifying things by attributing it all to first movers advantage. Apple are more than the iPhone.

05-06-14 10:29 AM
    I think you are overly-simplifying things by attributing it all to first movers advantage. Apple are more than the iPhone.

Are they the iPad? Because sales of that are stagnating.

Cue Thorsten Heins prediction from a year ago.

BlackBerrys Thorsten Heins thinks tablets will be dead in five years | The Verge
    05-06-14 10:32 AM
    He should have used his predictive powers to see who Blackberry's CEO would be in less than a year.

As far as iPad sales go, 60 million units a year is not a bad place to stagnate.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    05-06-14 10:42 AM
    He should have used his predictive powers to see who Blackberry's CEO would be in less than a year.

As far as iPad sales go, 60 million units a year is not a bad place to stagnate.
    Looking back, TH's track record makes him look more and more like someone brought in to clean house as an interim CEO than a long-term candidate.

He was COO, so he knew the inner workings of the company. He knew where the cuts had to be made to keep the company afloat while transitioning to BB10. He's responsible for most of the layoffs. And he's also ultimately responsible for the current state of 10.2.1, not Chen.

Chen was brought in to provide a new direction, which he's accomplished with the Z3 Foxconn/Indonesia agreement. Everything that happens with the Z3 and 10.3 on is his baby, but he's still standing on TH's shoulders.
    Superfly_FR and rarsen like this.
    05-06-14 10:57 AM
    Are they the iPad? Because sales of that are stagnating.

BlackBerrys Thorsten Heins thinks tablets will be dead in five years | The Verge
    Come on...are you being serious ?

05-06-14 11:01 AM
    I am being serious. The idea of a premium tablet computing device that sells for between $700 and $1000 is dying slowly.

I full expect industry to adopt a dumb terminal standard to drive down hardware costs on larger screens to sell them more readily.

What's easier to sell? A smart screen that uses a paired device to supply the majority of the processing power via a secured wireless link and maximizes the saved space for a battery, or a full fledged standalone unit that duplicates pretty much everything your phone does anyways?

The tablet paradigm isn't long for this world. The BlackBerry Bridge Paradigm for M2M, demoed with the PlayBook, will end up being the key to what TH was referring to with tablet computing. I've very little doubt he'll be proven correct well within the 5 year window he suggested.
    05-06-14 11:22 AM
    NYT: Preet Bharara is just starting with Moreland Commission

"In other potential area of review, the Times said that federal prosecutors "took possession of the commission’s documents and computers, they also collected the BlackBerry smartphones the commission had provided to its staff, the people said. In the commission’s early days, senior members of its staff were told to communicate with Mr. Cuomo’s aides only via BlackBerry PIN messages, not recorded on government servers."

On that, Wing defended the use of PIN messages as “a common way that many people communicate in 2014.”

Cuomo's office has come under fire for the use of PIN messages, which can't be traced or obtained through Freedom of Information laws."

and thats where eBBM will be must have option IMO. there are many corporate blackberry users who do not allow their systems to use BBM. last i heard was around over 15 millions. (dont ask me for the link cause i wont). giving ebbm option should bring some of the corporate users on ebbm and these paid users should ultimately increase the total bbm users.
    zyben, jxnb, morganplus8 and 6 others like this.
    05-06-14 11:33 AM
    I full expect industry to adopt a dumb terminal standard to drive down hardware costs on larger screens to sell them more readily.
    Cue the dumb terminal debate:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...minals-884743/

What price point are you looking for? An iPad Retina starts at $399.
    05-06-14 11:35 AM
    I am being serious. The idea of a premium tablet computing device that sells for between $700 and $1000 is dying slowly.

What's easier to sell? A smart screen that uses a paired device to supply the majority of the processing power via a secured wireless link and maximizes the saved space for a battery, or a full fledged standalone unit that duplicates pretty much everything your phone does anyways?

The tablet paradigm isn't long for this world. The BlackBerry Bridge Paradigm for M2M, demoed with the PlayBook, will end up being the key to what TH was referring to with tablet computing. I've very little doubt he'll be proven correct well within the 5 year window he suggested.
    I would buy three of those BB10 phone connected dummy screens. two for my cars, permanently mounted. less worry about some one breaking window to steal cause they retail for less than $100 and second hand for $50.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-06-14 11:40 AM
    I would buy three of those BB10 phone connected dummy screens. two for my cars, permanently mounted. less worry about some one breaking window to steal cause they retail for less than $100 and second hand for $50.
    But they won't....

What can you remove from a dummy screen? It will depend on what you want it to do...

Display
    Touchscreen
    Sensors for user interface - compass, gyros, light sensor
    Wireless - usually a combo chip
    Battery
    Power Management
    Camera
    Processor to make all this work
    DRAM

So maybe you can cut 10% of the hardware out of the total package. Less what does BlackBerry or Apple charge for their OS... zero.
    05-06-14 12:06 PM

I doubt it. What happens when you want to go some place with your tablet, but not your phone ? What happens if you have an Apple tablet and a Samsung phone, or a Google tablet and a BlackBerry phone, and the various companies don't want to play nice with each other? What happens if you're on a train or plane and your girlfriend wants to watch Dexter on the tablet for a bit over by where her friends are sitting while you use your phone? Who on earth wants to own a tablet on a leash? I could come up with a list of better problems if I gave it 30 seconds thought, but the whole concept is a mess.

The dummy tablet idea is full of holes mate. It's going to be really hard to sell a big slab of hardware that needs another piece of hardware in order to work - what is the value in it when technology is going to make devices more powerful and dynamic on their own ?

The value in a tablet is its size in relation to the human body (hands, eyes, etc.). Our bodies are not going to change.

Expect more capable and powerful tablets that can replace desktops. Don't expect annoying, half-dead tablets that need to be tethered like breast-fed babies. Awful idea - Heins was wrong - the end.

05-06-14 12:08 PM
    No need for hefty processing power and therefore no need for as many hardware updates as new software requires it.

Look at the wiiu controller. It retails for about 150 right now with pretty much everything we're talking about.

Take away the physical controls, simplify the manufacturing, drive the cost down further until it's ubiquitous.

When I bought my first e-reader in 2009, the newest Sony model ran me 500 with the cover, shipping and import charges. I picked up a better model two weeks ago for 70 bucks.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-14 12:13 PM
    This would be more convincing if it weren't for the 195M tablets sold last year with no dumb tablets that I can think of unless you want to count the Playbook.

Is there some kind of technology that needs to be created in order for dumb tablets to be viable? Or, is it that not one of those tablet companies has TH's vision enough to dumb down their tablets and sell them as a $199 smartphone accessory?
    05-06-14 12:22 PM
    I am thinking the stand alone tablet will be around for a long time. Apples tablet sales have slowed but only because they saturated most of their user base market. Many who had the iPads also purchased the Air and either have two iPads or sold one. They will sell millions in the future when they add more features. My cellular iPad Air is an invaluble tools in the field. There are few pieces of hardware that could replace it.

These kind of problems would be the envy of any hardware maker.
    05-06-14 12:22 PM
    Look at the wiiu controller. It retails for about 150 right now with pretty much everything we're talking about.
    You make the Wii U controller sound like such a bargain, when it isn't. The WiiU controller has a subpar 854x480 6" display. You can buy the original Nexus 7 for around the same price and not only is that much higher resolution and bigger display but it comes with a CPU. Other tablets one may consider are the ASUS MemoPad, Dell Venue 8 (not the pro w/ Windows), etc. etc.
    05-06-14 12:24 PM
    You make the Wii U controller sound like such a bargain, when it isn't. The WiiU controller has a subpar 854x480 6" display. You can buy the original Nexus 7 for around the same price and not only is that much higher resolution and bigger display but it comes with a CPU.
    It isn't a bargain.

But it sets a bar that can only drop, not rise.

Strip everything out that isn't necessary and watch what happens. The screens themselves only cost about $50. Throw in a raspberry pi level of hardware and you've got a $100 dumb terminal with some smart capabilities.
    bungaboy and tre10 like this.
    05-06-14 12:33 PM
    dummy means. screen. battery and and low power chip to send receive commands to and from phone. more like a blackberry bridge. it is just a display of a phone projected on dummy screen. just like apple's great innovation of ICARPLAY display using the QNX. this display will not have any camera, compass, gyros, Gps, high power chip etc. etc. etc.
    it will not store any info other than than short term touch screen info.
    bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    05-06-14 12:33 PM
    I'm not sure if Apple spent loads of money to create its own brand image (honestly do not know).
    $500Mi in 2009, $1Bil in 2012 for advertising alone ... you certainly can extrapolate all the marketing-promotion budget accordingly
    Apple Has Doubled Its Ad Budget To $1 Billion A Year - Business Insider

[1] Apple's dominance can be plained attributed to "first movers advantage". The original iPhone was a radically innovative device. [...]

[2] Apple's success has little to do with advertising (which is modest vs. Samsung) [...]

[3]The problem for Blackberry and other OEMs is "first movers advantage" cannot just be replicated by manufacturing another touchscreen slab smartphone with some slightly tweaked OS/software. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Before Blackberry can realize Apple's success, Blackberry must actually invent an equally groundbreaking product.

[4]Once that happens, shares will skyrocket and investors can have their $100/share party.
    [1] Absolutely
    [2] Apple success won't be if they didn't spend billions in advertising and related promotion/marketing (and it's not that far from samy's $1Billion/year if I refer to the above link)
    [3] In my perception (flawed by nature), BB10.2+Z30 is by far a greater product. It's not enough by itself. And it'll be delisutional to believe they will invent something as different as the first iPhone (which was a shiny unefficient bug collector, with the success we know).

[4] I don't expect the stock to skyrocket. Let's be conservative: give me a solid US$20 within 3 years and I'll be a happy camper !
    jxnb, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    05-06-14 12:49 PM
    Strip everything out that isn't necessary and watch what happens. The screens themselves only cost about $50. Throw in a raspberry pi level of hardware and you've got a $100 dumb terminal with some smart capabilities.
    I don't know about you but in my life, something that takes up tablet-sized space better do something a lot more useful than a $100 item. I'm talking about something constantly on my desk, coffee or kitchen table, in my hands or my pocket, in a restaurant, at work or in a classroom.

This simply is not where I'm looking to save a couple hundred bucks. Perhaps some of you guys should pass on the BBRY shares and splurge on the fully-functional tablet?

The first time I pick up that dumb tablet and realize that, because my smartphone is upstairs, it's a paperweight, it would go directly in the trash - $100 wasted or not.

I mean, my garage door opener and my thermostat are on wifi, so I don't think I would have any use for a tablet that isn't.
    Last edited by early2bed; 05-06-14 at 01:08 PM.
    05-06-14 12:51 PM
    Cue the dumb terminal debate:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...minals-884743/
    What price point are you looking for? An iPad Retina starts at $399.
    IMHO: $100 or below. AfterMarket (not BlackBerry) only with a fee for QNX+mirrorlink or equivalent.
    05-06-14 12:54 PM
    I don't know about you but in my life, something that takes up tablet-sized space better do something a lot more useful than a $100 item. I'm talking about something on my desk, coffee or kitchen table, in my hands or my pocket, in a restaurant, at work or in a classroom/

The first time I pick up that dumb tablet and realize that, because my smartphone is upstairs, it's a paperweight, it would go directly in the trash - $100 wasted or not.

I mean, my garage door opener and my thermostat are on wifi, so I don't think I would have any use for a tablet that isn't.
    Agree. And for people like you, there are already many many choices in the market.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    05-06-14 01:02 PM
113,250 ... 25952596259725982599 ...