View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Us longs . . . . just got longer. LoL
    It can't be longer than forever, can it?

Our favorite holding period is forever.

Warren Buffett
    04-14-14 05:12 PM

It can't be longer than forever, can it?
    How long is a piece of string?
    sidhuk likes this.
    04-14-14 05:34 PM
    I'm not sure people are being unfair on Chen. As soon as he was appointed, I think there was an unreasonable amount of euphoria around the event of his appointment, but since then I think most of us who have been critical have based our comments on his actions. I've always said he seems like a bit of a carpetbagger, but I obviously wish him success, so long as his idea of success is the same as ours. Now that we haven't got much to look forward to until...November ?... I reckon people will remain sceptical. in the meantime, I just hope someone taps him on the shoulder and let's him know that naming a new phone the 'Classic' when 99% of the population call your phones 'relics' is a really terrible idea. Anyway, I'm taking a friend to get her new Z10 (switch from Android) tomorrow. Amazing how we can sell these phones but BlackBerry can't...

PS - the negativity leaked out. Sorry. Hopefully we will have news of full BBMx soon, along with more stuff on BBM Shop. And I'm sure that BlackBerry will be pricing and marketing the Z3 to sell...right ?

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    theRock1975 and techvisor like this.
    04-14-14 05:42 PM
    How long is a piece of string?
    Longer than the rope...bahaha

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    04-14-14 05:45 PM
    It might be different when it's not just your information on the line... when it's real money, they might have a second thought. I'd never load up money to anything that Facebook puts together. Any company that makes it's money profiling me and my habits, can do so, but I draw the line at tracking my purchasing habits as well. That's between my and my bank
    No it's no different - look at PCs and how even after twenty years of online service how naive people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    04-14-14 05:56 PM
    JC keeps saying it will take another year before the business can start growing again and most people here can't seem to give him 2 weeks without panicking or pointing out the obvious. This must be one of those moments when sentiment is at its lowest... and you know what often happens then.

I reckon the people expressing the least interest in buying BBRY are actually anticipating a good entry point.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, Corbu, sidhuk and 9 others like this.
    04-14-14 05:59 PM
    No it's no different - look at PCs and how even after twenty years of online service how naive people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Abuh?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 06:00 PM
    Work around being put into place:

Heartbleed: Open source's worst hour | ZDNet
    BlackBerry to release Heartbleed fixes for BBM Messenger, Secure Work Space | ZDNet
    Heartbleed is likely to be the worst vulnerability ever on the Internet. The majority of BlackBerry services do not use OpenSSL and therefore are impervious to Heartbleed, but Secure Work Space and BBM messaging may be vulnerable if cybercriminals gain access to these apps through Wi-Fi or carrier networks. Security patches are being issued as a cautionary measure, as the risk of this happening is "extremely small," according to the BlackBerry executive.
    Last edited by rarsen; 04-14-14 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Added info on Heartbleed: Open source
    04-14-14 06:13 PM
    As this is a slow evening a OT subject, in part because a meeting of 500 electric cars are due in Montr�al on the coming weekend. Several BB Investors are probably thinking of eventually driving a Tesla car but expecting improved OS technology, using BB comes to mind among the options...

Tesla's Security Shortfalls | CleanTechnica

Electric Car Sales & Registrations Updates For Canada, Switzerland, Denmark | CleanTechnica

Work requires me going to Norway for a week in June, where over 20% of new car purchases are now electric. Tesla is leading the pack there as it seems their government gives sizable subsidies at purchase time... Bringing one back with me on the return to Canada is not possible, Haha.
    04-14-14 06:33 PM
    Money, Money, Money ... can't wait for BBM Money.

This may speed it up a *little* ?
    Facebook targets financial services - FT.com
    to make BBM money work they need large partnership with many store merchant, Banking etc...can BB name bring many large partner ? i dont think so..

their BBM money pilot project in indonesia result are a failure...they cant find big name bank to back them up and there are no store merchat accepting BBM money payment...
    georg4BB likes this.
    04-14-14 07:47 PM
    Is BlackBerry’s network behind CIBC & TELUS mobile payments?
    I remember reading about this some where and some one from blackberry confirming that they do have a secure channel available for this as part of the blackberry secure network. meaning that, blackberry doesnt have to be the face but does have the capability of providing a secure communication for the transaction. if anyone else remember this?
    04-14-14 08:13 PM
    Is BlackBerry�s network behind CIBC & TELUS mobile payments?
    I remember reading about this some where and some one from blackberry confirming that they do have a secure channel available for this as part of the blackberry secure network. meaning that, blackberry doesnt have to be the face but does have the capability of providing a secure communication for the transaction. if anyone else remember this?
    Yes

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2522446

I seem to remember something with RBC too.

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 04-14-14 at 09:05 PM.
    04-14-14 08:21 PM
    It might be different when it's not just your information on the line... when it's real money, they might have a second thought. I'd never load up money to anything that Facebook puts together. Any company that makes it's money profiling me and my habits, can do so, but I draw the line at tracking my purchasing habits as well. That's between my and my bank
    Nope. People fall for the "this is Microsoft calling " scam and the "I'm a long lost relative needing money wired to me please" scams all the time. People (as a whole) are stupid these days. They are used to having their whole lives displayed on line. They won't care about FB money security if it's easy to use. Oh yeah, they are lazy too.

BlackBerry needs to get it out asap. Make it ultra secure AND so simple a dog could use it. Otherwise they WILL fail at this too.

They should partner with interac and visa/mastercard. Then we'd have something to work with.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 09:48 PM
    asus releasing Zenfone 5 today in indonesia specs : intel atom dual core 2ghz, 1 gb ram, 5 inch 720p screen, only for $180

it is cheaper and better specs than rumored Z3 (price and specs) ...very competitive market ahead waiting for BlackBerry Z3, they need to release it faster and lower prices...

ps : rumour from retailer store Z3 price around $200 - $225 (indonesia rupiah strengthen against dollar this past few months)
    georg4BB and JLagoon like this.
    04-15-14 03:21 AM
    asus releasing Zenfone 5 today in indonesia specs : intel atom dual core 2ghz, 1 gb ram, 5 inch 720p screen, only for $180 it is cheaper and better specs than rumored Z3 (price and specs) ...very competitive market ahead waiting for BlackBerry Z3, they need to release it faster and lower prices...
    ps : rumour from retailer store Z3 price around $200 - $225 (indonesia rupiah strengthen against dollar this past few months)
    Garnok, what do you think about the perception of the BB brand in Indonesia. Are the people willing to pay a few bucks more for a BB device? Or is Android already the next cool brand. Do you know some people who will buy the Z3 for sure?
    04-15-14 04:38 AM
    I'm really not sure how BlackBerry have managed to release another 'out-specced' device, if it's true that it will be behind in specs to other devices at its price point.

If it's true that it's going to behind on specs, I hope that they don't make the same mistake five times on a row since BlackBerry 10 and price is too high.

Some have remarked that look price doesn't always mean sales, but the positive results from higher price only come when the thing being sold isn't fighting the negative brand image that BlackBerry is.

I've been looking forward to this launch for a while. I really hope we don't see the same hopeful and hopeless approach regarding marketing and price.

Does anyone know for sure if this launch is going to be any different from the launch of the Z30?

04-15-14 05:32 AM
    My guess is as good as anyone's, but I expect them to put their BlackBerry stores in Indonesia to good use. I also believe they're aiming to sell hundreds of thousands of Z3's rather than millions.. if they're satisfied with the Indonesia launch they can improve specs or adjust prices for more countries..

Posted via CB10
    jxnb, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    04-15-14 05:47 AM
    Garnok, what do you think about the perception of the BB brand in Indonesia. Are the people willing to pay a few bucks more for a BB device? Or is Android already the next cool brand. Do you know some people who will buy the Z3 for sure?
    android is definitely the top choice today for indonesian market...1 to 5 top selling smartphone belong to android phone maker (BB number 6)

BB Brand is not as tarnished as in the US..but it is heading that way...there will be some people willing to buy BlackBerry phone but for most their choice is not BB10, it is BB7 even if they know BB10 phone is newer...lack of apps + BBM cross platform is one of the reason why people abandon their BB. ( Local app developer support BB Legacy more than they support BB10)

in indonesia BBM > BB. people only care BB because BBM, security, physical keyboard, push email is not important for most people in indonesia...after their release BBM cross platform it is not surprising people will drop their BB phone or keep the old BB phone only as secondary phone
    cgk, morganplus8, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    04-15-14 05:50 AM
    Feels like crime to talk anything good about blackberry in this thread but yet it is " i support blackberry" thread. I dont care how clever the bashing is, not going to change my positive/opinion on blackberry.
    Seems like that JC is a marked man now. Before it was blackberry. Stock price $6 to $12 and down to 7 doesnt change company's internal working mechanism.
    Right now JC is in the driving seat and people who have put him in that position are fully behind him. JC is going to execute his plan as he said it earlier and time frame is not 3 to 6 months and it is not based on stock price. It could work or it could go bust.
    If i bet on blackberry's success in 2015 or 2016 then i shouldn't be crying about 2014 stock price.
    JC took over a company which was on sale and no one purchased it or transaction didn't happen. Stock price was $6.
    I feel that blackberry is in better position today than 6 months ago. The current BB10 os is a fantastic operating system, better than anything else i have used.
    I am willing to wait and see.
    As i said it before, i am gonna keep my eyes on numbers of shorts interest. The day those numbers go down, i am gonna invest more in blackberry.
    The day shorts numbers go down, things could change quickly. Including JC and blackberry bashing. Same day JC will be a hero and Blackberry will be The best. Until then, JC is zero and Blackberry dead.
    04-15-14 06:38 AM
    android is definitely the top choice today for indonesian market...1 to 5 top selling smartphone belong to android phone maker (BB number 6)

BB Brand is not as tarnished as in the US..but it is heading that way...there will be some people willing to buy BlackBerry phone but for most their choice is not BB10, it is BB7 even if they know BB10 phone is newer...lack of apps + BBM cross platform is one of the reason why people abandon their BB. ( Local app developer support BB Legacy more than they support BB10)

in indonesia BBM > BB. people only care BB because BBM, security, physical keyboard, push email is not important for most people in indonesia...after their release BBM cross platform it is not surprising people will drop their BB phone or keep the old BB phone only as secondary phone
    Garnok;

I have to ask why you post in this thread. I reviewed the majority of your other posts on this site and they all seem to be negatively biased against BlackBerry.

We are all adults here. We made our own "investment decisions" with our heads up. We will live with the consequences.

I would like to take what you say at face value, but, I am having difficulty based on your total negativity.

Just saying.

Thanks.
    Corbu, sidhuk, zyben and 2 others like this.
    04-15-14 06:56 AM
    I see...Thanks Garnok.

Then specs and pricing are very important.

In the worst case, if it is true that the Z3 has a 540 screen - it will be very difficult to compete now.
    The current 720 apps will look blurry on this screen. In the worst case the Z3-launch will be a fiasco and Foxcon will not give BB10 a second try. Then Chen needs to focus on high-end / classic devices for regulated industries only - his first defeat as a CEO. In the long run a few millions devices are not enough to maintain the ecosystem

In the best case the Z3 has a 720 screen and is very competitve in pricing. Flanked by an extremely good marketing campaign, BB/Foxconn are selling millions, then developers are willing to migrate from OS7 to BB10 and Foxconn is willing to sell this phone in India and other markets as well. A few million more users of BB10 devices will stimulate the BB10 platform as a whole which results in good headlines and better perception in the other markets as well - a good setting for the launch of new devices at the end of the year.

I hope one of both cases will happen and nothing in between. I'm tired of the current Schroedinger's cat situation.
    04-15-14 07:02 AM
    Well, I certainly support BlackBerry, and I also buy shares. I don't think that is the issue. This has been a great place for sharing ideas, but I don't think it helps any of us if we throw the toys out the pram when things become a bit negative.

It's incredibly dangerous to allow prior commitment and emotional wishes to blind us to possible problems. I for one was quite impressed with Chen for a while, but refuse to surrender my common sense long enough to think that he isn't potentially making errors. For me, it was thinking that 'Classic' was a good idea for a new phone. At least the marketing people at BlackBerry seem to have told him it is nuts. I really hope they prevail there.

In general, I think we all should toughen up a bit and use this forum to share thought, both positive and negative. I think there is more value for all of us in that to be honest.

04-15-14 07:04 AM
    Garnok;

I have to ask why you post in this thread. I reviewed the majority of your other posts on this site and they all seem to be negatively biased against BlackBerry.

We are all adults here. We made our own "investment decisions" with our heads up. We will live with the consequences.

I would like to take what you say at face value, but, I am having difficulty based on your total negativity.

Just saying.

Thanks.
    yes....many of my post are mostly negative..

but in all my post i tried to give the actual information, not just a false hope/information some people try to make......sometimes i give incorrect information but people are always welcome to correct me, and i will apologize..

my reason for post in this thread...because investor always need to know information good or bad, and make their own decision...it is not helping if they always hear "it is ok dont worried". BB focus in the future will be business/ corporate and emerging market especially indonesia, i lived in indonesia..i know information about BB in indonesia more than people in here...

if you always want to hear the good side story about BB then good luck for you and your investment..but i know some investors need to know another side even if it is bad
    04-15-14 07:07 AM
    Just saying.
    Thanks.
    Bungaboy, I asked him a question and this was his answer.
    04-15-14 07:10 AM
    BlackBerry takes stake in a digital health startup.

http://recode.net/2014/04/15/blackbe...in-nanthealth/
    04-15-14 07:14 AM
113,250 ... 25662567256825692570 ...