Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Amazon Preparing to Release Smartphone - WSJ.com

Amazon Preparing to Release Smartphone

Retailer Has Plans to Announce Phone in June, Begin Shipping By End of September

Amazon.com Inc. is preparing to release a smartphone in the second half of this year, according to people briefed on the company's plans, part of a broad push into hardware that would pit it against Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co.

The retailer has been demonstrating versions of the handset to developers in San Francisco and its hometown Seattle in recent weeks, these people said. People briefed on the company's plans have been told that Amazon aims to announce the phone by the end of June and begin shipping phones by the end of September, ahead of the holiday shopping season.

The people said Amazon hopes to distinguish its phone in a crowded market with a screen capable of displaying seemingly three-dimensional images without special glasses, these people said. They said the phone would employ retina-tracking technology embedded in four front-facing cameras, or sensors, to make some images appear to be 3-D, similar to a hologram, the people said.

An Amazon spokesman declined to comment.

The phone would thrust Amazon into a competitive market with entrenched players that has nearly felled once high-flying device makers like BlackBerry Ltd. and Motorola. With Apple and Samsung alone commanding 49% of the worldwide smartphone market, according to market researcher IDC, there is little room for upstarts.

News of the phone comes as Amazon moves more deeply into designing and making hardware. Last week, it unveiled its Fire TV set-top box and said it will soon begin distributing a wand customers can use to scan product barcodes at home to re-order groceries and other goods without logging into their computers. It introduced new versions of its Kindle Fire tablets last year.

But Amazon approaches hardware differently than many other companies. Chief Executive Jeff Bezos has said he prefers Amazon to profit from customers buying services through Amazon hardware, rather than profit from the devices themselves.

The design and pricing of the smartphone are unclear and these people cautioned that Amazon may alter its launch plans due to performance or other concerns.
    bungaboy, sidhuk and zyben like this.
    04-11-14 06:21 PM
    A typical example of the high standards of "journalism" that we've been privy to this week. This one gets the prize.

It could almost be funny, if it weren't so sad.

BlackBerry CEO: "I'm Not Leaving BlackBerry"

Remember, folks... Don't just read the headlines!
    04-11-14 06:30 PM
    BlackBerry Experience Announced for More Cities After Successful NYC Event - BerryReview

The new dates and locations announced for BlackBerry Experience events are:

Montreal, Canada – May 6th, 2014 – Register Now
    Toronto, Canada – May 8th, 2014 – Register Now
    Chicago, US – May 14th, 2014 – Registration Coming Soon
    Cologne, Germany – May 14th, 2014 – Register Now
    Washington DC, US – May 21st, 2014 – Registration Coming Soon
    London, UK – June 3rd, 2014 – Registration Coming Soon
    Thanks to BerryReview
    CDM76, rarsen, morganplus8 and 3 others like this.
    04-11-14 06:32 PM
    Thanks for posting this wonderful message. Pleasant surprise in a doom and gloom bombarded day on this thread. Salt rubbing and mocking charts etc.
    Some people will never grow up. Nature never changes.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    You're quite welcome
    bungaboy, sidhuk, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    04-11-14 07:12 PM
    It's weekend kids.
    Have a break

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk likes this.
    04-11-14 07:58 PM
    Hi guys,

Here are my updated BBRY charts. I don't use the 30 minute chart this time, because the daily chart is more relevant.

The chart does not look bullish at the moment. We are still stuck inside the main downtrend parallel channel that started from the high $17 last year (pink lines). And we just broke support that started with a line from August 12, 2013 around $7.36 with a close at $7.28 (blue line).

Is there any positive / bullish projection? Possibly. Check out the fanned lines marked from a - e on the daily chart. If you read the previous charts by me, CJ or Morgan, then you will see the lines a - d. These lines represent the uptrend lines that we thought would be sustainable. Apparently, the SP broke them one by one. It just broke line d last Friday. Line e is the next possible uptrend line, if the SP bounces, and forms a bullish pattern, after reaching $6.7x - $6.8x. If this breaks, then it would be horrible, because the SP might follow to the bottom downtrend parallel line, which has the range of $3. *shivers*

If where the SP is right now considered near bottom, then the next 2 - 3 trading days should be buying opportunity.

My plan is still to hold. And remember, everyone's timeline is different. Expectations are associated with how long you want to hold a stock.

Daily chart:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbd.jpg

For sh1t and giggles, here's a chart from CNBC. I think, this was aired a few weeks ago. The guy showed a head and shoulders pattern. He thinks, the pattern will resolve to $20. I think, there is some validity here. It is important for the SP to start trending up in the next 5 trading days though.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2014-04-11-8.04.58-pm.png
    04-11-14 08:21 PM
    The author of that 'piece' is seriously taken apart in the comments section. Almost every comment is about how misleading the headline is and more importantly how inaccurate the article itself is.

You can't assume that everything published is read without a critical eye. Even if it's 'good' news about BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry is showing once again it doesn't wordsmith its communications. Yesterday they released an advisory for the Heartbleed bug but specifically stated there were NO mitigating factors limiting the vulnerability to the Android and iPhone BBM or Secure Workspaces. Today they list a mitigating factor for all affected software. So it takes them 3 days to put out an advisory and 4 days to figure out mitigating factors?

Then, while many of the bigger websites and BlackBerry's EMM competitors are claiming "not vulnerable" or "fixed" status, BlackBerry is still "working to determine the full impact of the issue and confirm the best approach for protecting customers." If I were an EMM customer, I'd wonder why is it taking BlackBerry so long to figure out how to fix the Secure Workspaces and to a lesser degree, BBM and Link? For a company that prides itself as one of the few companies that actually takes security seriously, why wasn't this kind of threat anticipated and a contingency plan built in? For a company that owns CertiCom and has its own security suites, why were they relying on OpenSSL in the first place? I'm probably mangling how the technology all works but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

I'm inclined to believe that BlackBerry is blunt and honest on purpose while other companies (including EMM competitors) wordsmith and spin. But darn it BlackBerry! Think and SPIN (at least a little.) Quickly patch the problem, THEN make the fix elegant and permanent in a later release! Your cross platform EMM solution (and credibility) is taking hits right now... In fact, your inability or refusal to spin, is probably making you jump and take hits intended for your competitors.
    bungaboy, morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    04-12-14 01:21 AM
    Mr Chen has been on a roll with the dumb comments this week (two thumbs down). For the hundredth time, I really don't think BlackBerry have much PR talent. Great software, phones, and services - I love the brand as much as anyone else - but hopeless PR skills. Boo.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    I'm not sure your frequent repetitions serve "the cause" ...
    04-12-14 04:38 AM
    Well, I'm guessing this dive was a combination of Chen's dumb comments, and the fairly embarrassing and disastrous heartbleed vulnerability ? At least they have the weekend to try and sort this out. An announcement that they have patched it by Monday would be great, along with a clear statement that BlackBerry devices were not vulnerable.

This was a bad, bad week for BlackBerry's PR image. It will linger for a while now. I has three different people last night see my Z10 and comment that BlackBerry was going out of business and that I should get an iPhone. They wouldn't have seen yesterday's news, but it shows how much of the old sentiment is still in the air. Enterprise focus or not, BlackBerry are still failing to address this most damaging problem. The Z3 launch won't do much to change this as it isn't being released yet in the West - at least not yet. That might actually be a good thing considering this week's PR nightmare.

I'll be looking to buy more shares as low as I can, but this will be my last lot of speculation on BlackBerry until/unless they can show that they've greatly improved their PR. This truly has shown that 'amateur hour' isn't over...

cjmartin likes this.
    04-12-14 04:45 AM
    I'm not sure your frequent repetitions serve "the cause" ...
    It's Chen's frequent repetitions that don't serve the cause lol. Obviously, I'm just as big a BlackBerry fan as the rest, but within reason on think that the vibrant disagreement we sometimes get in here is very good for us and the cause.

I suppose I've just been a bit overwhelmed with frustration lately. I bought BlackBerry when it was at its low this year, and will be buying more, but as a 'fan' and shareholder, I'm absolutely tired of watching these train wrecks. I think we all have a right to be honest and negative about BlackBerry when they bloody well deserve it lol.

Anyway - to end on a positive note...we have lots of time till the next ER, and will hopefully have good news on BBM along with some more development there. I think we are also likely to have some good Z3 results. In the meantime, let's just hope BlackBerry HQ can keep the ol' row boat going straight, and quit dropping the oars in the water haha.

techvisor and cjmartin like this.
    04-12-14 04:58 AM
    quick update for indonesian market

nokia already offer Nokia X pre order start now...their official launch on 14 april , only took 2 months after they officialy announced the phone...normal price $135, pre order price $95 off contract + bonus ..and you can try the phone because the working display unit already available 2 weeks before the launch + nokia already put their own sales rep in every large phone store to help you ...

while lenovo offer $50 android phone with 4 inch dual core to $200 quad core processor, 5.25 inch 720p, 8mp camera...

LG also offer lot of low end android phone start from $70 to $150

samsung the market leader in indonesia now still focus chasing mid end market ( > $350) with galaxy grand II and note3 neo but they also have lot of low end android phone from $80 to $200...

BB facing a difficult battle in the low end market...
    Last edited by garnok; 04-12-14 at 05:30 AM.
    jxnb, JLagoon and cjmartin like this.
    04-12-14 05:16 AM
    Thanks Garnok! The only plus I see is the fact they're all 4 inch phones compared to the Z3 which is 5 inches. Not sure if I'm too optimistic in thinking BlackBerry did their homework this time. Anyway, enough talking about it.. start selling the damn phone.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    04-12-14 07:31 AM
    So, when exactly is the official launch of the Z3?

04-12-14 07:59 AM
    In the next 2-3 weeks..

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 08:22 AM
    Thanks Garnok! The only plus I see is the fact they're all 4 inch phones compared to the Z3 which is 5 inches. Not sure if I'm too optimistic in thinking BlackBerry did their homework this time. Anyway, enough talking about it.. start selling the damn phone.

Posted via CB10
    He mentioned a quad core 5.25" 720p Lenovo phone for $200.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    04-12-14 08:30 AM
    He mentioned a quad core 5.25" 720p Lenovo phone for $200.

Is the z3 720p? I thought it was 540 or something similar?
    04-12-14 08:32 AM
    Is the z3 720p? I thought it was 540 or something similar?
    That's the rumor, will the Z3 be a 5 MP camera or 8 MP?

04-12-14 08:34 AM
    Thought I would throw a simple chart up that shows support lines and a probable down-trending channel.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-chart-april-12-2014.png

RSI=25 and we are clearly oversold here. We need to find support at $ 7.50/shr to have any chance of developing a decent chart pattern in the short-term. It would be nice to see the stock back above $ 7.50 on Monday and fail to confirm the drop on Friday to $ 7.00/shr. I drew a line at the December lows too as we are in a funk (general market too) so anything can happen. Back in Sept./2013 we dropped back to oversold and I thought we could find support at similar levels, we'll see.
    chr1sny, zyben, sidhuk and 14 others like this.
    04-12-14 08:38 AM
    More than ever, I believe that the day analysis or the tea leaves analysis of a sentence has no sense.
    We're in a scenario where the tiniest granularity is the quarter, at best.
    Look at the schedule: understanding what/how/when measures will be applied is the only reasonable approach IMHO.

I can understand the frustration and the thirst of an "immediate magical measure" that will turn carbon to diamond and instantly rocket the SP in heaven. This is simply not going to happen. We have to repeat ourselves this again and again; otherwise, we'll end (again) by setting goals that were never considered and fall in a "over-expectations" attitude.

Chen's interview was GREAT, still exactly on line with previous announcements and directions.
    I can understand some want to cover the news nitpicking and ma***rbating with a "in between the lines" reading, pretending they know what's happening behind the scenes. They simply don't. I'm in touch on a regular basis with people at BlackBerry. I observe their statements, feelings and actions above the words and sometimes a smile or an expression worse more than pages of argumentation. Unfortunately, my English skills couldn't write them down appropriately besides this simple statement : "The roadmap is factually clear, side roads are closed and passing points defined".

What happens to the SP is irrelevant to measure BlackBerry performance, it's a consequence of the global financial situation (where political crisis in Easter Europe and fears of the next tech "bubble" are underlying most predictions) where IMHO most investors would target solid investments against Risk/Reward long term bets. BlackBerry R/R ratio is far too difficult to set to qualify it a "safe" target right now.

BlackBerry SP is navigating in a foggy range - +/- 30% of book value (which fluctuates too, depending on date + analysis) - for years now.
    The stock is nothing but a ticker game where current bears will be future bulls (and vice versa), depending of the wind direction.
    Until profitability is back and confirmed as an undisputed metric , there's no factual reason it can escape this day trading yo-yo.
    Just look at some of the contributors here; they are playing a "normal" game, the dips and highs game. No one can blame, that's how it works and can lead to opportunities for both camps.

Let's try to avoid zooming-in too much, unless you have a key to compress time at the same scale.

Have a nice weekend gang !
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-12-14 at 09:51 AM. Reason: "can't" was obviously "can" (no one can blame)
    rarsen, _dimi_, zyben and 8 others like this.
    04-12-14 08:59 AM
    So, when exactly is the official launch of the Z3?

In the next 2-3 weeks..

Posted via CB10
    "Late April"
    04-12-14 09:00 AM
    You can have all the plans and discussions you want but if you want to claim the game is "they will stay in handsets" then you can't escape the market reality that em... they have to sell phones - no amount of words, no amount of nods and winks gets around that.
    techvisor likes this.
    04-12-14 09:04 AM
    cgk.
    I believe 200% they will stay in the handsets.

What I believe also is they will not focus on margins over the handsets. That's a battle they cannot win as of date, when others are selling ~ 50-70 times more devices than they are. It's simple economics scales analysis. Chen's statement IMHO was pretty clear about it when he pointed out single digit (devices) against 70% (services) margin rates. Still absolutely in line with the current cross-platform strategy and "services first" goal. Foxconn will help reduce production costs, but I don't expect them to be able to raise the margins anywhere close apple's or lower prices as low as Samsung's and other mass producers. Being break even in that segment (with the same level of quality devices) would be a superb performance.

You need volume to make profit on hw, they don't have it right now.
    Take the money where it is; in value added services and reserve the very best "end to end" integration to BB devices in order to rebirth the curiosity and positive valuation of the devices' image.
    Where all started.

Sounds good to me.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-12-14 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added lower (prices)
    04-12-14 09:29 AM
    Well, I'm guessing this dive was a combination of Chen's dumb comments, and the fairly embarrassing and disastrous heartbleed vulnerability ? At least they have the weekend to try and sort this out. An announcement that they have patched it by Monday would be great, along with a clear statement that BlackBerry devices were not vulnerable.

This was a bad, bad week for BlackBerry's PR image. It will linger for a while now. I has three different people last night see my Z10 and comment that BlackBerry was going out of business and that I should get an iPhone. They wouldn't have seen yesterday's news, but it shows how much of the old sentiment is still in the air. Enterprise focus or not, BlackBerry are still failing to address this most damaging problem. The Z3 launch won't do much to change this as it isn't being released yet in the West - at least not yet. That might actually be a good thing considering this week's PR nightmare.

I'll be looking to buy more shares as low as I can, but this will be my last lot of speculation on BlackBerry until/unless they can show that they've greatly improved their PR. This truly has shown that 'amateur hour' isn't over...

You have very clever way of bashing blackberry. You are good.

morganplus8, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    04-12-14 09:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    I agree 100%. Even Apple slides show that the consumer market is shifting. People want big phones, and they want them cheap. Z3 with BB10 is a strong contender especially in countries that love everything Blackberry.

At < $200, the battle will be narrowed down to the OS. Ronald McDonald UI, Android Search bar and mess or TAT inspired Blackberry10 with Hub and Peek, screen share, etc...!

And I like that it's not $99 phone like the Nokia WP 520. The Z3 is like a high-end low-end phone. As for the resolution, a 720p vs 1080p is hardly noticeable to *most* people on a huge 60'' TV, I don't believe they'll care about a resolution of 960x540 on a 5'' screen. I'd definitely rather have a lower resolution with a buttery smooth UI then a choppy 1080p one.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-12-14 09:38 AM
    You have very clever way of bashing blackberry. You are good.

I thought he laid out a reasoned critique. Why is that "bashing"?
    techvisor and anon(4086547) like this.
    04-12-14 09:38 AM
113,250 ... 25622563256425652566 ...