View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Partner when it comes to integration, apparently, but undoubtedly a competitor for in-dash services and revenue. CarPlay has it's own maps, messaging, apps, music, connectivity, etc. The apps will run on iOS with revenue for targeted ads ("Exit 213A for Starbucks!") going to Apple. Music and other content is sold through iTunes.

Whatever ecosystem QNX intends to sell to the end user will be in direct competition with CarPlay if the user has an iPhone.
    CarPlay is mirroring the IP with adaptation due to the screen size (i.e : UI). Any app that will be mirrorlink compatible has to be granted by the car manufacturer, not apple, not QNX nor the app maker, as per CCC rules. So, nothing in the demo can be granted as widely adopted yet, only as demoed and concept proof.

P.S: apple is a QNX partner for years, even the early ages of infotainment ...
    03-31-14 05:44 PM
    Not saying QNX is the only option, just that Mach has been abandoned in this space. I can't, and won't, speculate as to why they want him, but I'd bet it's not to get Mach back up and running. Of course I could be wrong, but there were issues with the kernel and was open sourced so I'm not sure one man can fix all the issues it had. Again, I could be very very wrong.

For the Android licenses, I haven't read enough, or dug deep enough, to understand all the nitty gritty details. How Nokia (Microsoft) will be handling it, I have no idea. Can you use Google Maps fully featured? Google+? All/any of the other apps that require Google services? I ask because I just don't know. Is it possible that Microsoft is paying them for it? For the Chinese manufacturers, well, lets not pretend that they all adhere to legal licenses shall we?

Yes, Samsung is using an RTOS for their Tizen project and smart watches. It's called Nucleus. They claim to be on over 3 billion devices world wide. Pretty impressive by that metric. They don't, however, wish to divulge any examples. That, to me anyway, seems a tad deceiving. At least QNX gives real companies and real definable applications that we can associate with. As before, I can't say for sure and could be waaaay off base and am only going off what I'm able to quickly gather off "Googling" it (how ironic lol). As for how "open" Tizen will remain, is yet to be seen. The conglomerate, at some point, will want to profit from their efforts as Google has (even though Google bought Android and just built upon it).
    Nokia X can't access Google services, except the public APIs. All the Google services were replaced by Microsoft services: bing, outlook, onedrive, xbox video, skype, etc.
    Apps that use Google services don't work, developers have to adapt them to the platform. Nokia expose similar services with similar APIs, developers have to use Nokia APIs to replace Google APIs.
    There is no license fee for AOSP, It's totally free and open source, but you don't have access to Google services. To get the Google services OEMs have to enter in the Open Handset Alliance.
    In China It doesn't matter because Google is blocked, in the rest of the world?, well, we'll see. It seems that in India the Nokia X is doing well, but let's see in a couple of months when the hype dies.

Samsung announced three wearables, Gear 2, Gear Neo and Gear Fit. Gear 2 and Gear Neo use Tizen, which is based on Linux, 100% free and open source, and It's not a RTOS.
    According to the CEO of Samsung they want Tizen everywhere, cameras, watches, tv, laptops, tablets, smartphones and cars. By now they have cameras and watches, TVs are coming.
    For the Gear Fit, which is a fitness band they used a simpler OS and RTOS, Nucleus as you said.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    03-31-14 05:54 PM
    Today is the perfect day to purchase BBRY and I did just that. It is the last day of the month and the Quarter and not many Funds will want to buy it on the last day and show it on their books. The same is true with Funds who want out of the position so as not to show a loss in the trade. As long as they complete the transaction they are free of the trade. For me the timing couldn't be better. To each his own I guess. GL
    I forgot you said this yesterday, Morgan. I'm slowly learning this TA thing and what to watch for. $8 was resistance (?) and they pushed it a good amount lower....I think to shake the weak hands who would dump after it breached resistance...then at $7.80 funds stepped in cause it was cheap. Then it rises, and then falls and tests resistance again and pops up. The 'second test'. Combine that with end of day around $8 before the quarter closed and I should have bought more at end of day. I'll pick some up tomorrow. If it doesn't open up 2%, then I'll wait for the 10:30 dip and see how that pans out, then pick it up on the bounce. My purchase at $8.85 on Friday isn't looking too good right now, but after the RE sales hits the wire I see a good 7% pop that day...whenever that will be.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    03-31-14 06:10 PM
    Nokia X can't access Google services, except the public APIs. All the Google services were replaced by Microsoft services: bing, outlook, onedrive, xbox video, skype, etc.
    Apps that use Google services don't work, developers have to adapt them to the platform. Nokia expose similar services with similar APIs, developers have to use Nokia APIs to replace Google APIs.
    There is no license fee for AOSP, It's totally free and open source, but you don't have access to Google services. To get the Google services OEMs have to enter in the Open Handset Alliance.
    In China It doesn't matter because Google is blocked, in the rest of the world?, well, we'll see. It seems that in India the Nokia X is doing well, but let's see in a couple of months when the hype dies.

Samsung announced three wearables, Gear 2, Gear Neo and Gear Fit. Gear 2 and Gear Neo use Tizen, which is based on Linux, 100% free and open source, and It's not a RTOS.
    According to the CEO of Samsung they want Tizen everywhere, cameras, watches, tv, laptops, tablets, smartphones and cars. By now they have cameras and watches, TVs are coming.
    For the Gear Fit, which is a fitness band they used a simpler OS and RTOS, Nucleus as you said.
    Samsung was also announced as a partner for Android Wear. Unless you've bought into the Samsung ecosystem, there's no reason why you should purchase a Tizen device which not compatible with other products, ie, Gear 2 with non-Samsung devices.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    03-31-14 08:34 PM
    Finally had a chance to glance through Friday's Financials.

Looks like we deferred service revs from Argentina now as well. Couldn't collect on 13 million owed, on top of the additional 40 million owed from Venezuelan carriers.

• C00087C61 - Non Traditional Premed
    • C00039A66 - Van City Coffee, finding the best Lattes around our beautiful city
    • C00124663 - Vancouver WhitecapsFC - A supporter and Capo's perspective
    morganplus8 and zyben like this.
    04-01-14 01:02 AM
    Well, guys, stay calm.
    PlayBook OS is dead.
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-pla...lly-ends-april

Posted via CB10
    _dimi_ and bungaboy like this.
    04-01-14 01:50 AM
    Was it ever alive?

I'm surprised they supported it this long.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-01-14 03:10 AM
    Well, guys, stay calm.
    PlayBook OS is dead.
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-pla...lly-ends-april

Posted via CB10
    Well, that should cut some cost!

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 05:01 AM
    Was it ever alive?

I'm surprised they supported it this long.
    Well, that should cut some cost!

Posted via CB10
    You know I'm not the kind of guy to promote bad news.
    So here are the good ones, those that match the "aftermarket periphal screen" I'm beggin' for months.

If you’re in the business of creating physical products that integrate with mobile devices, we’ve got the specs you need to add BlackBerry to your portfolio.
    http://devblog.blackberry.com/2014/0...uct-portfolio/

(edited) One link later ...
    Thinking about creating an app that connects a peripheral to a device running the BlackBerry 10 OS, building an accessory for a BlackBerry 10 smartphone, or displaying content from a BlackBerry 10 smartphone on a larger display?
    Always see the briiiight ... wisle,wisle
    04-01-14 05:12 AM
    Yup. I watched this last night. Just not right no matter how you spin it. And some have the gaul to suggest BlackBerry stock isn't manipulated!!!

"60 Minutes" investigates high-frequency trading - Videos - CBS News
    Maybe they need more Canadians in Wallstreet, no joke.

http://nyti.ms/P2Ojrh

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 05:28 AM
    It is so VERY tempting to get back in this morning
    04-01-14 05:35 AM
    Well, guys, stay calm.
    PlayBook OS is dead.
    BlackBerry PlayBook OS support officially ends this April | CrackBerry.com

Posted via CB10
    Isn't it April's Fool Day today????
    04-01-14 06:30 AM
    Are all the big funds buying back in this morning? Let's hope so!

Sent using my ? Z30
    04-01-14 06:58 AM
    OT, who's read "A random walk down Wall Street?"

I am in the middle of it... Interesting read, but you need to balance it out with other perspectives. Any suggestions?
    No one has read the book? Have I committed some sort of sacrilege by the sheer mention of the book on this thread?
    04-01-14 07:17 AM
    No one has read the book? Have I committed some sort of sacrilege by the sheer mention of the book on this thread?
    It has been discussed a few times on this thread. It is not popular here because it takes a skeptical view of technical analysis.

For example, I quoted from the book in this particular post: http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...ml#post9075379

Click on "search thread" and look for "Malkiel" for other mentions.
    bizzarothor likes this.
    04-01-14 07:29 AM
    Isn't it April's Fool Day today????
    It is, but news if from yesterday and link to BlackBery site is valid and confirms.
    04-01-14 07:57 AM
    It has been discussed a few times on this thread. It is not popular here because it takes a skeptical view of technical analysis.

For example, I quoted from the book in this particular post: http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...ml#post9075379

Ok, I get it, radio silence was more of a way not to engage once more in this debate. That was not my intention anyhow, but what I found really interesting in this thread is that there is a mix of fundamentals vs TA, altogether. I mean, Morgan never comments only on TA when it comes to BBRY, he also touches plenty on Fundamentals. There does not have to be a general agreement on what works best in between the two. It seems to me a combination of the two allows some balance, plain common sense, one would think.

Anyway, sorry to be a **** disturber.
    Last edited by bizzarothor; 04-01-14 at 09:16 AM.
    04-01-14 08:03 AM
    BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) news: Guru Fund Managers Are Heavily Accumulating BlackBerry Shares. Should You? - Seeking Alpha

In our experience, the large 72% increase in guru fund ownership in such a short period of time in Q4'13 and the following two months, is uncommon and significant, conveying in no uncertain terms the bullishness of guru fund managers on BlackBerry shares. Furthermore, looking at the Table, this accumulation by guru fund managers in 4Q'13 followed four quarters of selling during which the collective ownership fell 22%, and this was preceded by heavy buying by guru funds in 3Q/2012, during which they more than doubled their collective ownership of BlackBerry to 102.00 mill. shares.
    We believe there is enough uncertainty given the lack of visibility that shares will most likely move back lower, retracing up to 70% of the recent rise, down to the $7 range, and as an outside case, even going below $6 momentarily. It is unlikely however that prices stay that low given that the break-up value of the company based on cash of $5.13/share, the value of its patents and the value of the services business is in the $8 to $10 range.
    We believe that shares can be safely accumulated here, buying more in one-third increments as it falls below $7 and then $6. However, investors will need to have patience. The turnaround may take place over multiple quarters, maybe stretching even more than a year before we can see conclusive evidence of it. The downside using such a scaling-in strategy of averaging down if the price gets lower is limited, whereas the upside can be very high. Even if one of BlackBerry's many initiatives succeed, its shares could take off as none of this is currently baked into the share price.

WARNING : nothing has to be taken as truth, caution and researches are mandatory. Therefore, I'm just quoting it and let you appreciate if/how/when this may affect your strategy.

P.S : it is affecting mine, $7 is my new trigger for 500 more.
    04-01-14 08:29 AM

Haha I presume you are having a laugh.

I very much enjoyed A Random Walk.

• C00039A66 - Van City Coffee, finding the best Lattes around our beautiful city
    bizzarothor likes this.
    04-01-14 09:02 AM
    No positive news in the pipes this baby is dead for awhile
    04-01-14 09:18 AM
    Monetization of BBM starts today. Should hope that counts as a positive news point.
    morganplus8, jxnb, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    04-01-14 09:51 AM
    Haha I presume you are having a laugh.

I very much enjoyed A Random Walk.

I think anyone who ignores the book, TA, fundamentals, news, momentum or any other way to get information about investing and investments is a fool. There is no guaranteed, single system and I still remember when the Wall St Journal dart thrower would regularly beat the stock pickers.

I use all of these factors in deciding where to put my money. The book was a good read and turning a blind eye to it is foolish IMHO. Just take a look at all the money mangers who can actually outperform the S&P over a 10 year period. Its a short list, less than 1%. Last story I read it was something like 10-15 of 10,000 funds beat the S&P over 10 years and around 25% for any given year.

TA is a helpful tool, I especially like round numbers and don't get caught up in the "to the penny" type analysis, but that's me. For example, if I see a stock that has bounced off $50 a few times int eh last 2 years and goes back towards $50, it peeks my interest.

My point, lost in too many words, it to take ALL the info and use it to make the call. Ignoring or relying on any one view or system is not a risk I take. YMMV........
    04-01-14 09:52 AM
    Monetization of BBM starts today. Should hope that counts as a positive news point.
    We wont see the fruits of that for awhile and the z3 launch success wont be known for awhile. Like i said we are dead in the water nothing to stir the pot in the next month. That is bad news seeing how it looks like there is no volume or resistance left
    04-01-14 10:00 AM
    Ok, I get it, radio silence was more of a way not to engage once more in this debate. That was not my intention anyhow, but what I found really interesting in this thread is that there is a mix of fundamentals vs TA, altogether. I mean, Morgan never comments only on TA when it comes to BBRY, he also touches plenty on Fundamentals. There does not have to be a general agreement on what works best in between the two. It seems to me a combination of the two allows some balance, plain common sense, one would think.

Anyway, sorry to be a **** disturber.
    I just remembered. The following thread was created to discuss Fundamental vs Technical analysis, so you can freely discuss the topics there if you like.

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...entals-843304/
    bizzarothor, jfguay2 and dusdal like this.
    04-01-14 10:24 AM
    Latest has it that z30 sells for 250$ through the EPP, and z10 and q5 are now selling for 99$!

That is for people lucky enough to still know someone working at BBRY!

Sent using my ? Z30
    w4rrior and bungaboy like this.
    04-01-14 10:28 AM
113,256 ... 25412542254325442545 ...