View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    They've got to spend some money on advertising - the ghost release method has cost them billions.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    also-ran HTC is spending in excess of $1 billion this year globally - so I'd put that figure as the sort of entry stakes you need - if you are talking maybe a couple hundred million, don't bother, HTC found that out last year with the HTC one - if you look at the US:

A look at recent marketing data sent to CNET from Kantar Media perfectly underscores HTC's dilemma. In 2013, Samsung spent $363 million in marketing in the US, with $128 million coming in the fourth quarter alone.

Apple was no slouch, spending $350.9 million last year, and more than $100 million during the big holiday season push.

HTC? It spent a paltry $75.8 million -- for the entire year. Its own fourth-quarter push amounted to $1.5 million, according to Kantar. With such a disparity, it's easy to see why the original HTC One got completely overshadowed by its rivals.
    http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/heres-wh...martphone-war/
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-29-14 12:18 PM
    Z30 STA100-5, OS 10.2.1.2141, Flash Player 11.1.121.199 .??

Sent from my awesome Z30
    03-29-14 12:23 PM
    Earlier it didn't work. Tried it now and it worked just fine.
    Very good interview.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    dusdal likes this.
    03-29-14 12:35 PM
    also-ran HTC is spending in excess of $1 billion this year globally - so I'd put that figure as the sort of entry stakes you need - if you are talking maybe a couple hundred million, don't bother, HTC found that out last year with the HTC one - if you look at the US:

That would explain BlackBerry 's radio silence. Hopefully direct sales coupled with a low cost viral campaign will raise overall sales. This Z30 is a great smartphone and should be selling in much larger numbers than it is.

Sent from my awesome Z30
    zyben, bungaboy and CDM76 like this.
    03-29-14 12:45 PM
    Hmmm.... then I'm at a loss as I'm on the same OS and am asked to update my flash player. My flash version is 11.1.121.199
    desktop mode ?
    03-29-14 12:56 PM
    Guys, let's make it clear : as brilliantly as you might imagine marketing, the company can't afford it right now: to be as little as significant, they need more than $500million per year. Can't be done until 1/ the cash flow is positive 2/ devices range get its lifting.
    Patience is key here.
    Corbu, sidhuk, zyben and 5 others like this.
    03-29-14 12:58 PM
    From the news and rumors section, a non-hostile cbc interview with John Chen:

BlackBerry's Chen committed to turnaround - Business - CBC Player
    (all below : approx quote )

"not only we bring the belt back, but we also bring back the old interface, like the copy/paste thing "
    Wow ... someone's reading the forums
    (cont)

(abt the SP) "People are beting on maybe there's a chance of his comeback ... all I ask is they give us the opportunity to execute"
    That's clear and neat.

"people only read the tiny (bad) part of press ... we're commited to tell our story: normally I shouldn't do that, but I believe it's very important the people know we are here and we we want to fight"
    My hero

"Today it's very clear that if we go back to the basics and if we focus on doing well with that base, the company will be stabilized."
    Yes Sir.

"(Mike L : the belt back) I think he would love it" "(anyways) the customers want it, so either Mike or Jim doesn't like it ... customers like it so it's the right thing to do"
    Listen to the market ... indeed.

BBM, M2M, QNX ... as far as we can execute, I feel very comfortable about the future of the company".
    So do we, mister Chen !!!

"I hope to be the leader in Machine to machine"
    That's a stong commitment ...

THAT WAS A PLEASURE TO WATCH. 100%
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-29-14 at 03:54 PM.
    zyben, sidhuk, Corbu and 7 others like this.
    03-29-14 01:00 PM

That's just the game. BlackBerry need to spend money on marketing. It's a common delusion to decide that you can't afford to promote something and then go ahead and release the thing that needs promoting anyway, but it does not work. The Z30 is virtually unknown. Seriously, virtually no one knows it exists. BlackBerry have a far bigger 'brand' than HTC. People recognise BlackBerry. They've got to actually push the OS and the phones regardless of being short of cash. Not doing so cost them a billion dollar write down. It's killing them.

Sadly, I fear that the marketing that does come will be the usual hopeless stuff that tells the audience nothing about why they should care about BlackBerry, and spouts awful, arrogant nonsense about how cool and busy BlackBerry people are. I just don't see it changing, despite wanting desperately to be wrong.

CDM76 likes this.
    03-29-14 01:21 PM
    Oh I forgot to mention that with the new BBM Bar file, I was able to purchase new stickers yesterday.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-29-14 01:28 PM
    Guys, let's make it clear : as brilliantly as you might imagine marketing, the company can't afford it right now: to be as little as significant, they need more than $500million per year. Can't be done until 1/ the cash flow is positive 2/ devices range get its lifting.
    Patience is key here.
    With respect, patience has been very expensive. It's not a situation in which not selling phones means simply losing out on sales. It also brings the crushing media negativity which batters the enterprise side of things as well.

I think they should focus on a few cities and market hard in those areas. This no-marketing strategy has been a complete disaster. Over a year later, the overwhelming majority of people have no idea BlackBerry 10 even exists. That's a non-starter, business-wise. It's hurt sales, but it's also damaged enterprise and everything else. What BlackBerry and many others don't realise is that a successful business in this field is about culture building as well as technology. Apple are the best at understanding this of course. BlackBerry are the worst.

03-29-14 01:31 PM
    OT,
    Journalists, media under attack from hackers: Google researchers
    Journalists, media under attack from hackers: Google researchers | Reuters
    zyben, jxnb and bungaboy like this.
    03-29-14 01:46 PM
    For those who can read financials like poetry, help please.
    I can write UNIX shell scripts but reading those financial statements makes my head hurts..
    It wont stop me from trying though..

My question is related with the termination of employees. So assuming the revenue improve marginally next Q and cost of operations remains the same or improved, and with all metrics staying as it is, would BB be in the black if all the CORE and terminations costs are over or much smaller. Thanks much.

From the financials I see that there is $148 million pre-tax charges.

"
    During the fourth quarter of fiscal 2014, the Company incurred charges related to the CORE program of approximately $148 million pre-tax, or $105 million after tax. Substantially all of the pre-tax charges are related to one-time employee termination benefits, facilities and manufacturing costs. "
    03-29-14 01:58 PM
    Decent z30 review from a previously anti BlackBerry USA Today reporter. Laments lack of apps and "cool factor" :

TECH NOW: Is BlackBerry Z30 worth a look?
    rarsen and tatail like this.
    03-29-14 02:43 PM
    Is the use of 'embattled', 'struggling' smartphone maker, etc. used to ensure articles pop up better on Google searches? I'm just wondering why the formula exists. It's obviously always the same few adjectives. I mean, 'embattled' is not a word used often in everyday speech...

03-29-14 02:53 PM
    Patience is key here.
    in the CBC interview Chen says, they first have to stabilize enterprise business and then later they will worry about competing with the phones...so, maybe come back in a year if you want to see more advertising for the phones...
    03-29-14 03:18 PM
    Also Chen has said they are building up their sales force to go reach for customers and big clients, no need to advertise and wait for the customers to come to them, they are being proactive

in the CBC interview Chen says, they first have to stabilize enterprise business and then later they will worry about competing with the phones...so, maybe come back in a year if you want to see more advertising for the phones...
    bungaboy, sidhuk and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-29-14 03:25 PM
    'Chen says this', 'Chen says that'...guys, that doesn't mean it's right. He isn't a god or something. He's done very well in many areas, but that doesn't mean he's got everything right. Very few people do. If he releases anymore new phones without sufficient advertising, he's a stooge. I'm happy with most of his work. I'm just hoping he isn't a stooge with phone sales.

CDM76 likes this.
    03-29-14 03:57 PM
    With respect, patience has been very expensive. It's not a situation in which not selling phones means simply losing out on sales. It also brings the crushing media negativity which batters the enterprise side of things as well.

I think they should focus on a few cities and market hard in those areas. This no-marketing strategy has been a complete disaster. Over a year later, the overwhelming majority of people have no idea BlackBerry 10 even exists. That's a non-starter, business-wise. It's hurt sales, but it's also damaged enterprise and everything else. What BlackBerry and many others don't realise is that a successful business in this field is about culture building as well as technology. Apple are the best at understanding this of course. BlackBerry are the worst.

Story is IMHO they knew pretty soon it was not worse the money ... and still isn't, YET, but soon will be, with greater $ available.
    It was my perception under the Thorsten/Frank era already, and still is.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 03:58 PM
    Wow. I find it a bit hard to believe that the stock moved up 7% and then down 14%, to net at down 7%. The ER was early in the morning, the conference call also happened before the market opened. The market should have fully digested the news by 10:00 am at the latest. What happened that resulted in such a turn around? I wonder who bought it up in the morning only to have those buyers or others jump ship in the afternoon? The stock seems like it must be attracting a lot of day traders. Maybe because it is so volatile and also because you can see two sides of the story. On one side is the failing business and losses, with decreasing revenue. On the other side you can see the growth in their overall market as more and more people get into mobile computer ownership (i.e., smartphones). Add in the vast sums being spent to acquire tech companies (in particular by Facebook) and I'm left wondering why the BBRY engineers and management are viewed as unable to create value. The stock is still trading at just a small multiple of its cash holdings. Good lord. If I told you only that a tech company had hundreds of patents, hundreds of engineers, billions of dollars, and respected and experienced management and didn't tell you what it produced, you probably would guess its value would be higher than BBRY is valued.

Bizarre response by market is all I can say. I'm still holding my shares and hoping for a turn around. Actually, I'm expecting a turn around. I guess I must be or else I wouldn't hold my shares.
    03-29-14 03:59 PM
    'Chen says this', 'Chen says that'...guys, that doesn't mean it's right. He isn't a god or something. He's done very well in many areas, but that doesn't mean he's got everything right. Very few people do. If he releases anymore new phones without sufficient advertising, he's a stooge. I'm happy with most of his work. I'm just hoping he isn't a stooge with phone sales.

well Chen is running the show, he has the info. and i am sure he would prefer to spend 5 bln on advertising next quarter to peddle his phones. would make his life so much easier....but its not there...
    03-29-14 04:37 PM
    Story is IMHO they knew pretty soon it was not worse the money ... and still isn't, YET, but soon will be, with greater $ available.
    It was my perception under the Thorsten/Frank era already, and still is.

Posted via CB10
    I do agree that the marketing they could afford wouldn't have made a huge dent in the US, but I do think it would have done something to convert current BlackBerry owners in the UK and other countries. It also depends on the type of marketing. If it's not worth the money to market products, then it's not worth making the products. The Z10 flop should never have happened, and cannot simply be put down to specs or whatever else. Most people still don't know BlackBerry 10 exists and that it's much different from BB7, and that has been far more expensive than the advertising would have cost. On top of the on paper costs, not marketing properly has been hugely expensive when you factor in lost revenue due to brand image, etc.

It's now too late to do what they should have done before, but they still need to market the Z3. Being a loser is very, very expensive for a business, and four consecutive still births (Z10, Q5, Q10, Z30) has cost BlackBerry more than the numbers on paper show.

03-29-14 04:46 PM
    Can't play this on my Z30. Says I need Adobe Flash even though my browser has the Adobe Flash on. Any suggestions?

Sent from my awesome Z30
    Turn on Adobe Flash. When in your browser hit the three dots on bottom right hand corner to get into settings then select Display and Actions then turn on Adobe Flash.
    Shanerredflag and sidhuk like this.
    03-29-14 05:32 PM
    OMG...Facebook is down...the horror.

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    cjcampbell and sidhuk like this.
    03-29-14 05:42 PM
    OMG...Facebook is down...the horror.

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    You sure about that? lol
    sidhuk likes this.
    03-29-14 05:53 PM
    You sure about that? lol