View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Makes me uneasy:
    750 cash burn (net new FF $$) is still quite worrying.

Hope to see continued reductions in SGA and R&D as it doesn't appear to fit this revenue level yet.

Also not excited about the bbmx slowdown.

Keen to see:
    Reception of the Z3

Contracts come of the DoD clearance as that should clear other corporates to gain some confidence in BlackBerry as a going concern.

Posted via CB10
    When a tech firm starts slashing R&D you know bad times are ahead. It's all about innovation and differentiation in this game. Outsourcing to cheap outfits slows the cash burn but just delays the inevitable. Just as well they still have a decent pile of other peoples money to play with.
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-28-14 05:30 PM
    When a tech firm starts slashing R&D you know bad times are ahead. It's all about innovation and differentiation in this game. Outsourcing to cheap outfits slows the cash burn but just delays the inevitable. Just as well they still have a decent pile of other peoples money to play with.
    Right, but it's currently greater than 25% of revs?

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 05:40 PM
    I'm waiting to see how they market the Z3 and BlackBerry 10 in general over the next three months. If they are rubbish again, I'll probably sell my holdings entirely until I see what happens with the recovery effort. Phone sales are what the media are interested in, and what gets news and the media have the strongest influence on brand perception at the moment. BlackBerry won't survive a continuous barrage of negativity as handset sales shrink and shrink and shrink - they just won't.

I'm really hoping to see the Z3 here in the UK for a very good price. If the price is right it will sell and if these cheaper Foxconn phones sell, we will see app migration and all will be well in the consumer space in the medium term, which will have a strong knock on effect on the rest of the business.

I'm also excited about the BBM update next week. I think they will make a bit of change from the BBM Shop - more than some people think.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    03-28-14 06:07 PM
    Doom and Gloom Gang is on. This is the company that suppose to be dead two three years ago.
    Blackberry achieved certain things one quarter earlier than chan originally predicted.
    I am long and I am happy for today's results.
    I remember taking hits of 30% after every earnings.
    Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    F**k me, I remember that 30% drop a few quarters ago. That was terrifying to see. Today was nothing.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    03-28-14 07:31 PM
    F**k me, I remember that 30% drop a few quarters ago. That was terrifying to see. Today was nothing.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the bbm file. Works like a charm.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    bungaboy and Bilaal like this.
    03-28-14 07:37 PM
    BlackBerry Wins Court Order Barring Typo Case Sales

BlackBerry Wins Court Order Barring Typo Case Sales - N4BB
    Corbu, rim4ever, tatail and 11 others like this.
    03-28-14 08:33 PM
    BlackBerry Wins Court Order Barring Typo Case Sales

BlackBerry Wins Court Order Barring Typo Case Sales - N4BB
    was just about to post this.
    03-28-14 08:44 PM
    Interesting perspective when you consider that today's stock price is actually lower compared to the immediate aftermath of that disastrous quarter.
    03-28-14 09:10 PM
    03-29-14 03:18 AM
    Hey, I'm glad we have some contributors back in this thread !
    Let the discussion begin !

My point : nothing really new, better financial performance than estimated, weakest devices sales.
    My early morning thought : everything that is not equipped with a physical keyboard will look like an iPhone.

Everybody keep cool, enjoy the weekend and - hopefully - Monday correction back in the mid 9.

Cheers,
    Sf

Posted via CB10
    jxnb, sidhuk, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    03-29-14 03:38 AM
    My two cents.

On the good side, their cash position is good, CORE is doing well.

I was not surprised by the phone sales, but to be honest I don't really care about them. Bb10 will always be a niche OS and so for BlackBerry to rely on phone sales would be stupid. I think at this point the phones will tick along as something they need to offer and they try to break even on.

What I didn't like was the lack of BES10 uptake. BES should be the focus, they need to be replacing lost subs with new subs. I don't like that we have to wait until November. That is a long time for BES12. They need it out now and start converting people over.

BBM I don't really care about. If the turnaround is successful it will be worth something, if not it is not worth considering.

QNX seems to be doing well, they need to find a way to make it more relevant and increase revs.

Honestly if I had not already bought months ago, today would not have made me buy in.

There is definitely a turnaround in progress, hut it may be too slow. BES is the key. If the uptake is big everything else follows, handsets, bbm.

My major concern is what this gap in time is doing both for competitors and their customers.

One year in the tech industry is a long time!

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 03:57 AM
    Good Morning Gang,
    Here is a post from some one posted at SA.

"Gladtitings
    @author. I appreciate your transparency. Here is my take of the Conference call yesterday with John Chen..

WHY I BELIEVE JOHN CHEN WILL SUCCEED IN TURNING AROUND BLACKBERRY

John Chen recognizes the foundational strengths of Blackberry lies predominantly in its unique Mobile Device Management software system. He reiterates at the Q4 Conference call yesterday that Blackberry has over 60% of the MDM market among the large enterprises. This sets the tone of his vision for rebuilding the Blackberry name, bringing it to its roots and strengths. With this perspective in mind, he and his team have drawn an all-encompassing plan to make BB and its software system available through a backward compatibility for existing BES5 customers, expanding this concept to unify further with BES10 in order to stabilize existing customer base. Then Management takes this one more important step further with a new BES12 that will spread their wings to expand the compatibility to include devices like IOS, Androids and Windows on top of existing BB devices both present and future ones. Aiding the process of transition, Management has introduced an EZ Pass Program that will allow fluidity and flexibility to enterprises that allow BYOD in their organizations. This EZPP starts on April 1 2014. Already 1900 registrations are on hand expressing interest in this program. There are already wins in US, Germany, UK, India, Australia and Latin America in the last quarter just ended. The implications of this growth vehicle is huge for Blackberry. I have no doubt that John Chen has set this as his single focus that will bring profitability to the company by 2016 as he has forecast in the Conference call yesterday.

Concomitant with this vision, Management has clearly executed the necessary actions to stabilize the company and strengthen its financial position to achieve their goals. First order of the day had been to pare back excessive manpower costs, dispose off excess inventory channels by a third, sell off all their real estates in Canada and US, maintain a prudent management of cash resources. Second, a �Go-to-market� strategy is in place with focus on direct to enterprise marketing, identifying new routes of sales channels and enhanced carrier supports, and opening e-commerce sales channels to sell devices unlocked. John Chen made it clear that the first order of priority when it comes to the sale of devices was to make money. So this is no fire sale. The man is out to make money for shareholders less we forget that.

The way forward in so far as the rebuilding of the device business is concern seems to be focus on two broad targets � one will be the high-end market which is concentrated on developed economies, and the second, on emerging economies, the basic bread and butter variety that formulates the base for future growth when these economies mature with greater financial ability to purchase higher price devices. So Management has clearly defined its marketing strategy for its devices by geographical regions, thus paving the way for Blackberry to restore its global player status again.
    My confidence in what John Chen and his team has done so far is the fact that within a short 5 months, they have managed to lower operating expenses with use of cash resources 30% lower than in Q3, and they are one quarter ahead of schedule. This is huge. This indicates that there is less financial pressure in the new fiscal year, allowing for resources to be channelled to developing devices, marketing strategies, and developing software.

While all these different aspects of business execution are being put in place, it is heartening to note that BBM represents a promising revenue generator in the foreseeable future. From a number of 200,000 four months ago, there are now 1 million new channels to date and this number according to John Chen is growing fast. With users averaging 11.5 posts per day, this represents potential monetization potential. On top of this is the EBBM project which will engage larger interests in the form of financial firms, governments and other public bodies. Mobile payments that is the wave of the future will form a large part of this sea change.
    I am long BB."
    jxnb, morganplus8, zyben and 8 others like this.
    03-29-14 08:22 AM
    And don't forget

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-wonka-sales-advertising.png

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    03-29-14 08:31 AM
    And don't forget

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wonka-sales-advertising.png 
Views:	1322 
Size:	501.0 KB 
ID:	259310

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    This pretty much sums it up. BlackBerry have spent a year and a half doing everything possible to not sell phones. I'd love an explanation of their sales theories. I don't buy the idea fast the consumer market won't buy BlackBerry. The consumer market doesn't even care enough to be strongly anti-BlackBerry. They just think it's dead and that the phones are slow. They've got to spend some money on advertising - the ghost release method has cost them billions.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-29-14 09:09 AM
    From the news and rumors section, a non-hostile cbc interview with John Chen:

BlackBerry's Chen committed to turnaround - Business - CBC Player
    03-29-14 09:52 AM

Excellent interview. Thanks zyben!

Edit: As far as I am concerned, this interview is a mandatory watch.
    Last edited by Corbu; 03-29-14 at 01:46 PM.
    morganplus8, zyben, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    03-29-14 10:09 AM
    Can't play this on my Z30. Says I need Adobe Flash even though my browser has the Adobe Flash on. Any suggestions?

Sent from my awesome Z30
    03-29-14 10:19 AM

The interview won't play on my Z10...grumble

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    03-29-14 10:35 AM
    03-29-14 11:19 AM
    The interview won't play on my Z10...grumble

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    Just watched it on my Z30

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 11:37 AM
    Just watched it on my Z30

Posted via CB10
    Have you, by chance, upgraded via a recent OS leak? If so, then the new browser has the latest version of Flash. My Z10 wouldn't play the video either.
    03-29-14 11:43 AM
    Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2141

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 11:50 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140329_095239.png

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 11:53 AM
    Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2141

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm.... then I'm at a loss as I'm on the same OS and am asked to update my flash player. My flash version is 11.1.121.199
    03-29-14 11:58 AM
    Hmmm.... then I'm at a loss as I'm on the same OS and am asked to update my flash player. My flash version is 11.1.121.199
    Same on my Z30. Hmmmm.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 12:03 PM
113,256 ... 25332534253525362537 ...