View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    CC was meh. Service Rev decline down 14%? But the earnings are good. Cash is good. Burn is under control. Breakeven by Q4. BES12 in Q4 is a catalyst. Z3 launching. Real Estate sales closing.

Stock should be over $10.
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    03-28-14 08:08 AM
    Afraid that those customers are not waiting..... they have already moved on. Of the five companies that I was aware of, that were totally BlackBerry and had BES and BESX four years ago... all have gone to other platforms, one just dropped mobile management totally. This has not been a process of just the last year, people have been looking for options for several years now as BlackBerry had been in a holding pattern for almost three years waiting on their new platform. The fact that it dropped and no one cared was a wake up call. Thinking a year later that there are still a lot of companies out there just "waiting".....
    I believe he meant : "most consumers that were hesitant to migrate from BES5 to BES10 will wait for BES12".

Please be careful with my quotes, these are just fast notes ... and I can ear/understand wrong when listening and typing at the same time. I'm a half-baked multitask dude lol
    03-28-14 08:09 AM
    BlackBerry reports $423 million Q4 loss, revenue falls to $976 million

It head lines like this that shows the media loves to destroy rather then to prompt. Always reporting the negative and never the positive. This is in general not just to do with BBRY
    03-28-14 08:09 AM
    Didn't like how it is going to take toll the end of the year for BES 12 to be out.
    That is a long time....

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 08:10 AM
    a 500 percent beat in eps isnt good enough ? lol
    bizzarothor likes this.
    03-28-14 08:12 AM
    Didn't like how it is going to take toll the end of the year for BES 12 to be out.
    That is a long time....

Posted via CB10
    November ... yet Chen said "each time I have to give a (BES12) deadline, I actually remove a month" ... can't wait he has to make another statement about it !
    bizzarothor, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    03-28-14 08:13 AM
    They took a $ 438 MM non-cash charge to cash related to that debt offering which I would refer to as a convertable bond issue. Chen said that money comes back in when the stock closes above $ 10.00/shr/ He is saying that FairFax would convert and wipe out the debt which analysts should accept as true. Accounting is getting in the way of some decent results.
    I thought (wrongly I guess) that when the stock was above $10 then were required to account for the excess (premium) that Prem would get.

In any event, it was great to hear Chen do the conf call instead of TH and I am still not a fan of Prem and the deal he cut to "save" his investment and BBRY.
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    03-28-14 08:13 AM
    5 million shares traded in Pre-Market we could easily see a 100 million day
    bizzarothor likes this.
    03-28-14 08:15 AM
    Misek lobbed in a softball. Poor showing. Chen just handled the cash/bond issue very poorly in my book. He shows he doesn't understand, or at least appreciate that if Prem converts his bonds at 10, the stock suffer. Granted it is "non-cash" right now but to disregard the required accounting rules to allow for the conversion as being nonsense is uninspiring.

Only 85M active BBM users is very disturbing to me, growth slowed dramatically.
    I disagree respectively with you. The one (not sure he is an analyst or not) who asked the question is an *****, and insisted that the $400 million (rounded number) debenture fair value up adjustment is a cash burn and the net cash shall follow the equation as
    Total cash in hand - the original 1.25 billion convertible - the $400 million debenture fair value up adjustment. That is completely wrong.

Actually, the key ER is affected by the the $400 million debenture fair value up adjustment, which is non cash and non accrued liability loss. Excluding the $400 million, the company only lost $0.08 in GAAP for this Q, which is a huge beats the street est. at $.57.

Let us look from the other direction, say that in Q1 - 15, the stock SP trades all below $10, then we will see a positive $400 million adjustable to the debenture (the fair value decreased by $400 million), this will produce a positive EP @ $0.72. Do you believe that the company is actually getting $400 million cash or benefit from such purely fictional accounting rule?
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-28-14 08:17 AM
    Nice cash control. Seems like cash burn will be reduced again in the following quarter. If cash flow is neutral by end of year (and I suspect that is a very comfortable target for them), then they will survive. Cash is what keeps you in business.
    Seems like BBRY can control costs by getting out of hardware innovation process. BB10 will run smooth on basically any device you would make in 2014. So no need to not take off the shelf and low grade components and go for the lower end market, while taking off the shelf and high grade components for the business/enterprise market.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-28-14 08:17 AM
    Nobody cares about sign-up, active users is the only metric that matters.
    Sure, if you want to sell all your friends contact information to them and still pay them for the right.

If every person who signs up for Whatsapp has at least 10 friends who's contact information they upload, they're getting access to a global version of 'six degrees of kevin bacon' where you'd be able take a phone number of interest and get less than 6 degrees from any other number you could possibly want. This fits in better with the new laws regarding storing phone records being limited to people connected to 'people of interest'.

And no encryption = no privacy.
    03-28-14 08:19 AM
    a 500 percent beat in eps isnt good enough ? lol

On a GAAP basis they missed by .23. Its called GAAP as they are generally accepted accounting principals. There is often a decent reason to consider non-GAAP factors, but don't expect the street to accept the -.08 number at face value and as gospel.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-28-14 08:19 AM
    CC was meh. Service Rev decline down 14%? But the earnings are good. Cash is good. Burn is under control. Breakeven by Q4. BES12 in Q4 is a catalyst. Z3 launching. Real Estate sales closing.

Stock should be over $10.
    Agreed. I'm not sure who is a seller of this stock at $9.x. I certainly am not.
    sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    03-28-14 08:20 AM
    HOLY computer trading batman , look at the pre-market blocks. Looks like there going from the left pocket to the right pocket
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    Afraid that those customers are not waiting..... they have already moved on. Of the five companies that I was aware of, that were totally BlackBerry and had BES and BESX four years ago... all have gone to other platforms, one just dropped mobile management totally. This has not been a process of just the last year, people have been looking for options for several years now as BlackBerry had been in a holding pattern for almost three years waiting on their new platform. The fact that it dropped and no one cared was a wake up call. Thinking a year later that there are still a lot of companies out there just "waiting".....
    I've seen the same. Including my industry (pharma) all the big guns have gone to activesync and probably some lightweight MDM like Airwatch. But more and more I am hearing "BYOD is not working". Something like BES / BB10 and ability to share screen for tech support is a big thing. But now BES I believe has a price advantage. I think the big thing is corps don't want to run the infrastructure. BES Cloud is needed to stem the leavers and start gaining back customers.
    Sure, if you want to sell all your friends contact information to them and still pay them for the right.

If every person who signs up for Whatsapp has at least 10 friends who's contact information they upload, they're getting access to a global version of 'six degrees of kevin bacon' where you'd be able take a phone number of interest and get less than 6 degrees from any other number you could possibly want. This fits in better with the new laws regarding storing phone records being limited to people connected to 'people of interest'.

That is a great answer... To an entirely different question.

sent from my bright red Nexus 5
    03-28-14 08:22 AM
    My understanding is that BBM does not encrypt? Is that wrong?

I understand that the new eBBM will, but that normal BBM does not?
    03-28-14 08:24 AM
    On a GAAP basis they missed by .23. Its called GAAP as they are generally accepted accounting principals. There is often a decent reason to consider non-GAAP factors, but don't expect the street to accept the -.08 number at face value and as gospel.
    No single analyst who provide the EPS loss has been considered the $382 million loss from the fair value adjustable of the debenture. Therefore, it is 500% beats in both GAAP and non GAAP. Period.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-28-14 08:25 AM

BBM encrypts all non BES users with the same key. It's still encrypted. But those with the key (NSA?) can decrypt. eBBM encrypts with a private key only the corp knows. Good luck with that.
    03-28-14 08:26 AM
    I disagree respectively with you. The one (not sure he is an analyst or not) who asked the question is an *****, and insisted that the $400 million (rounded number) debenture fair value up adjustment is a cash burn and the net cash shall follow the equation as
    Total cash in hand - the original 1.25 billion convertible - the $400 million debenture fair value up adjustment. That is completely wrong.

Actually, the key ER is affected by the the $400 million debenture fair value up adjustment, which is non cash and non accrued liability loss. Excluding the $400 million, the company only lost $0.08 in GAAP for this Q, which is a huge beats the street est. at $.57.

Let us look from the other direction, say that in Q1 - 15, the stock SP trades all below $10, then we will see a positive $400 million adjustable to the debenture (the fair value decreased by $400 million), this will produce a positive EP @ $0.72. Do you believe that the company is actually getting $400 million cash or benefit from such purely fictional accounting rule?
    Understood, but what happens if the stock is at 10.75 and Prem exercises at $10, does that money come from thin air? I agree it's a "what if" but I think the GAAP rule as silly as it may look is there for a reason and though it's certainly inexact and not certain I think it is a relevant consideration. JMHO.........
    03-28-14 08:29 AM
    I read this at BRG which a nice positive story from them. Bbm 115 million registered users and 85 active users. Which one means it is growing even if it is not as fast as some would like and two it has 20% more active users than tango which was evaluated at 1 billion dollars.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 08:30 AM

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2113...urity-concerns

The above article will give you a good background on BlackBerry and security.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 08:31 AM
    That is a great answer... To an entirely different question.

sent from my bright red Nexus 5
    You're asking if you can compare the metrics.

450 million people paying 99 cents a year but giving up all their contact information to get connected versus 85 million regular users who operate in a more protected environment for free.

In the longterm, which of these services has the greater potential to cause harm and be considered malware-like?

Say someone were to hack Whatsapp's user database. You'd get access to how pretty much everyone in the world is interconnected.

Commissioner's Findings - PIPEDA Report of Findings #2013-001: Investigation into the personal information handling practices of WhatsApp Inc.
    Corbu, zyben, jfguay2 and 3 others like this.
    03-28-14 08:32 AM
    BBM encrypts all non BES users with the same key. It's still encrypted. But those with the key (NSA?) can decrypt. eBBM encrypts with a private key only the corp knows. Good luck with that.
    I was under the impression that Bbm Doesnt encrypt but scrambles but the eBBM will be encrypted
    No single analyst who provide the EPS loss has been considered the $382 million loss from the fair value adjustable of the debenture. Therefore, it is 500% beats in both GAAP and non GAAP. Period.
    I guess we will just disagree on this which is fine with me. We will see when the market actually opens if they really believe BBRY just beat by 500%. I hope so, but am not confident they will.
113,256 ... 25282529253025312532 ...