View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    The White House is testing smartphones from Samsung Electronics Corp. and LG Electronics Inc. for internal use, a person familiar with the matter said

The tests are in the early stages, according to the person, and any implementation of Samsung or LG phones is still "months away."

An LG spokesman said the company wasn't aware of such testing.
    White House Tests Samsung, LG Phones - WSJ.com makes up scary headline
    cjcampbell likes this.
    03-20-14 03:14 PM
    Anyone who thinks this stock isnt manipulated on a daily basis then you really need to open your eyes lol. 20-30 cent gaps up and down lol
    Not unusual. Of course there are those who have their clear objective, but 20-30 cent moves can, and have, worked in the favour of this one as well. I'm guessing that the selling was done to ensure the cross of moving averages tomorrow. The 20-ema and 50-dma are even now and tomorrow, thanks to the late day sell, it looks like the 20 will cross under which is usually, but not always, a bearish signal. It's still above the uptrend line so I wouldn't worry all that much right now.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    03-20-14 03:17 PM
    Its unusual to hear a company say "we aren't aware" as opposed to "no comment". I wonder if this one is legit even though "people familiar" have been often right.

I guess, after looking at the time of this news, that it's what caused that big dip right at the end there. Put the hurt on before anyone can react.
    03-20-14 03:18 PM
    Its unusual to hear a company say "we aren't aware" as opposed to "no comment". I wonder if this one is legit even though "people familiar" have been often right.
    My thoughts as well. Usually a company rep will say 'they' are not aware as a way to hedge their response. It is almost never such a blanket statement as 'the company isn't aware'.
    03-20-14 03:28 PM
    BlackBerry Suffers Blow as White House Tests Samsung, LG Phones - WSJ.com

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bn-ca490_bberry_g_20140320155455.jpg
    President Barack Obama works on his Blackberry as he returns to the Oval Office at the White House Jan. 29, 2009. Getty Images
    The White House is testing smartphones from Samsung Electronics Corp. and LG Electronics Inc. for internal use, a person familiar with the matter said, threatening one of the last and most high-profile strongholds of BlackBerry Ltd.

The devices are being tested by the White House's internal technology team and the White House Communications Agency, a military unit in charge of the President Barack Obama's phone use and overall communications, the person said. The tests are in the early stages, according to the person, and any implementation of Samsung or LG phones is still "months away."

"We can confirm that the White House Communications Agency, consistent with the rest of the Department of Defense, is piloting and using a variety of mobile devices," a Defense Department spokesman said. The spokesman declined to comment on the devices in the pilot test or in use at the White House.

A Samsung spokesman declined to comment on whether its phones were being tested at the White House. "We have seen strong interest from the government sector and are working closely with various agencies to deploy pilot programs that allow these agencies to better understand and estimate the resources needed for a full deployment," the spokesman said.

An LG spokesman said the company wasn't aware of such testing.

President Obama uses a modified BlackBerry, long a point of pride for the Waterloo, Ontario, company. Apple Inc. for the last few years has been chipping away at BlackBerry's once-dominant position in the government sector, and Samsung has invested heavily to win more government customers.

BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen has said that winning back government customers is a top priority. Mr. Chen said in an interview this month with Bloomberg Television that he had met with officials from the White House to discuss "some of the stuff they like and some of the stuff they would like us to work on."

"For more than a decade, BlackBerry has been securing the U.S. government's mobile communications and only BlackBerry is designed to meet the high security needs of U.S. and allied government agencies," a BlackBerry spokeswoman said.
    Edit: My own comment... It must make the WSJ feel giddy to be able to publish this...
    03-20-14 03:34 PM
    Boeing was going to make a secure phone, so wasn't BlackBerry on the way out just because of that? Of course then looking at these other phones doesn't make any sense................oh, well...
    bungaboy, sidhuk and zyben like this.
    03-20-14 03:44 PM
    BlackBerry Suffers Blow as White House Tests Samsung, LG Phones - WSJ.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BN-CA490_bberry_G_20140320155455.jpg 
Views:	982 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	256824
    President Barack Obama works on his Blackberry as he returns to the Oval Office at the White House Jan. 29, 2009. Getty Images

Edit: My own comment... It must make the WSJ feel giddy to be able to publish this...
    "a person familiar with the matter said" anyone who has followed bbry the past 2 years should take anything with a gain of salt if the source is " a person familiar with the matter"
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-20-14 03:45 PM
    "a person familiar with the matter said" anyone who has followed bbry the past 2 years should take anything with a gain of salt if the source is " a person familiar with the matter"
    Problem is we take it with a grain of salt, but most don't.
    rarsen, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    03-20-14 03:47 PM
    Remember, we all took that stance a few months ago and it turned out that the people familiar with, more often than not, happened to be right. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, W Hoa, slipstream89 and 4 others like this.
    03-20-14 03:47 PM
    Remember, we all took that stance a few months ago and it turned out that the people familiar with, more often than not, happened to be right. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'

Posted via CB10
    Especially if they were quoted in a WSJ article.
    03-20-14 03:52 PM
    Guys, just remember we are in "Silly Season" a week before the ER and all.
    morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 7 others like this.
    03-20-14 04:27 PM
    Seems the Verge is jumping on this story from the WSJ as well:

President Obama may ditch his BlackBerry for an Android phone
    By Chris Welch on March 20, 2014

President Obama has long complained that his job doesn't permit the luxury of carrying an iPhone. Prior to his election, Obama owned a personal BlackBerry that was replaced with a custom, highly-secure model once he reached office. But it seems Obama may have the chance to switch to Android before his term concludes. According to The Wall Street Journal, the White House is currently testing smartphones from Samsung and LG for internal, official use. The White House Communications Agency — which directly oversees Obama's communications — is taking part in the effort along with an "internal technology team."
    President Obama may ditch his BlackBerry for an Android phone | The Verge
    03-20-14 04:28 PM
    Well, I have been saying for a while now that the enterprise-above-all strategy is way too risky, and that BlackBerry need to focus on producing 'cool', top shelf devices as well. I'm fairly certain that the enterprise first strategy would see BlackBerry shrink and shrink as the other big companies hold the BlackBerry Enterprise market space under heavy siege. Once BlackBerry were to isolate itself like that, all it would take is a few key government security clearance achievements by Apple or Samsung or whoever else, and BlackBerry would be pretty much done. A lot of the big BlackBerry clients are looking around elsewhere, and BlackBerry are not likely to keep as many of them as they would like. I've stopped buying BB shares - i stopped a while ago. I don't have a clue what path they are actually going to go down, and I think the popular 'back to our roots', BlackBerry 'Classic', BES first strategy is sheer lunacy if it isn't coupled with an equal push for consumer sales and popularity. I'm waiting and watching the Z3 launch closely and will make buying or selling decisions partly on how they handle this.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    laketrout73 likes this.
    03-20-14 04:42 PM
    M8 do you mind sharing your opinion in regards to HALO? its weird 2 days straight it has basically been flat, havn't really seen this happen with this stock, what does it usually mean?
    03-20-14 05:07 PM
    Wow, the Verge has turned one chat by Obama with some schoolchildren, where he mentioned his daughters' iphones, into "long complained" that he can't use an iPhone? Talk about exaggeration.
    03-20-14 05:18 PM
    Like I said . . . . Silly Season. The games have begun. And the secret code has been sent to the sleeper cells.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-skyisfalling.jpg
    cjcampbell, rarsen, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    03-20-14 05:24 PM
    Yet another baseless article which will be proven false. Governments and enterprises don't have many options unless they want China and others to teach the west a lesson they will never forget. The US is already on its way out and a switch to anything but BlackBerry will cement it's fate as another empire who's time has come to an end. I think BlackBerry needs to focus on a winner Asia and leave NA to pay their paper games of QE and bs media fiction stories.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 06:05 PM
    I'm not sure we should worry about this rumor. First it claims a "months away" testing phase. Then, if ever it would be successful, I question what would be the middleware ... well I don't in fact: BES10 Or BES12. remember, in this area BlackBerry is still the main (only) player for U.S DOD and equivalents.

So, there might be some non BlackBerry devices, we all know this can/could/will happen. Point is each CAL is services and licence fees for BlackBerry.
    It is part of the strategy, we shouldn't be afraid nor surprised by this if ever it is proven true.

Now, if you ask me, Chinese stuff into white house... mhh, I'm doubting.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 06:12 PM
    M8 do you mind sharing your opinion in regards to HALO? its weird 2 days straight it has basically been flat, havn't really seen this happen with this stock, what does it usually mean?
    I know Morgan is preoccupied so I'll do what I can to hopefully be right, and answer the question.

HALO seems to be in a period of consolidation. It has, for the time being baring news, stopped the rise to new highs. That stupid financing screwed things here. From what I can see, it's setting higher lows and lower highs. It, in theory, should continue this trend for the next number of weeks unless news or rumour arises. Currently, it needs to clear the 20-ema and try to shrug off the sector bullsnuff. If it does drop outside of the consolidation wedge, it could test the previous lows and then, if that fails, test that low uptrend line, but I think it should stay in this pattern until news, good or bad, comes out.

Now, if one wants to get all conspiracy theory, they could have wanted to look more attractive to suitors and therefore dropped the price and ended the run on purpose by using the set financing price as they did. Who knows for sure, but, as others have said, their new CEO seems to be well versed in creating an acquisition target.

Here is the chart of what I see.....

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2014-03-20-8.15.35-pm.png
    Last edited by cjcampbell; 03-20-14 at 07:43 PM.
    03-20-14 07:16 PM
    News should be coming next week the latest. It's basically waiting for that.
    03-20-14 07:30 PM
    News should be coming next week the latest. It's basically waiting for that.
    I'm not in it so don't know when any real news is pending. Thanks Leafs!
    03-20-14 07:44 PM
    Finally getting 10.2 to come out in the US. The OS is really settling down and getting to a good spot. I'm finding it a nice upgrade on my Q10 and I haven't seen any battery issues.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 08:57 PM
    Much thanks cj! Yah there should be pending news coming before end of month, my march calls are all but worthless now but I bought april ones now also. Just a TA question how would you determine and map a strong resistant level?

Thanks again CJ

I know Morgan is preoccupied so I'll do what I can to hopefully be right, and answer the question.

HALO seems to be in a period of consolidation. It has, for the time being baring news, stopped the rise to new highs. That stupid financing screwed things here. From what I can see, it's setting higher lows and lower highs. It, in theory, should continue this trend for the next number of weeks unless news or rumour arises. Currently, it needs to clear the 20-ema and try to shrug off the sector bullsnuff. If it does drop outside of the consolidation wedge, it could test the previous lows and then, if that fails, test that low uptrend line, but I think it should stay in this pattern until news, good or bad, comes out.

Now, if one wants to get all conspiracy theory, they could have wanted to look more attractive to suitors and therefore dropped the price and ended the run on purpose by using the set financing price as they did. Who knows for sure, but, as others have said, their new CEO seems to be well versed in creating an acquisition target.

Here is the chart of what I see.....

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 8.15.35 PM.png 
Views:	1267 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	256892
    03-20-14 09:41 PM
    Much thanks cj! Yah there should be pending news coming before end of month, my march calls are all but worthless now but I bought april ones now also. Just a TA question how would you determine and map a strong resistant level?

Thanks again CJ
    Ok... first.. THIS IS OT BUT EDUCATIONAL FOR BOTH MYSELF, AND OTHERS.... I hope. PLEASE... IF ANYONE CAN CORRECT ME, PLEASE DO....

With that out of the way, I'm going to put forth a few charts so this is going to take op some space.... will continue after the charts....

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2014-03-20-10.54.59-pm.png

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2014-03-20-10.58.38-pm.png

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2014-03-20-11.10.22-pm.png

Now, what I do is look at the highs and lows. It could be a gap up or down, doesn't matter. Those levels act as support and resistance. It could go back a long time, it could be fairly recent. Doesn't matter. Secondary, I look at the uptrend line. Now that changes easier from what I've noticed. It's not as strong. And thirdly, I look at moving averages (which I didn't display due to being lazy. Just left my default 20-ema and 50-dma as those have shown to be the most consistent, across the board, influential ones yet I don't know why....)

Now, apply this to intraday trading on the one minute chart, and with the proper bankroll, holy **** man. i've been following some intently and I've been right at least 65% of the time (pretty sure it's more but want to account for confirmation bias).
    Last edited by cjcampbell; 03-20-14 at 10:22 PM.
    zyben, Superfly_FR, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    03-20-14 10:10 PM
    Ok... first.. THIS IS OT BUT EDUCATIONAL FOR BOTH MYSELF, AND OTHERS.... I hope. PLEASE... IF ANYONE CAN CORRECT ME, PLEASE DO....

With that out of the way, I'm going to put forth a few charts so this is going to take op some space.... will continue after the charts....

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 10.54.59 PM.png 
Views:	1198 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	256942

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 10.58.38 PM.png 
Views:	1196 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	256943

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 11.10.22 PM.png 
Views:	1197 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	256944

Now, what I do is look at the highs and lows. It could be a gap up or down, doesn't matter. Those levels act as support and resistance. It could go back a long time, it could be fairly recent. Doesn't matter. Secondary, I look at the uptrend line. Now that changes easier from what I've noticed. It's not as strong. And thirdly, I look at moving averages (which I didn't display due to being lazy. Just left my default 20-ema and 50-dma as those have shown to be the most consistent, across the board, influential ones yet I don't know why....)

Now, apply this to intraday trading on the one minute chart, and with the proper bankroll, holy **** man. i've been following some intently and I've been right at least 65% of the time (pretty sure it's more but want to account for confirmation bias).
    You're getting versed at this TA...well done.

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    03-20-14 10:33 PM
113,256 ... 25092510251125122513 ...