View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Next landing spot for the 3G Z3, after Indonesia?
    The Z3 could benefit from BlackBerry’s African dominance | memeburn
    Same problem all the markets have where they still have that presence - legacy users aren't converting (in significant numbers) - I can't think of a single market where having decent numbers of BB7 users has resulted in a high conversation rate to BB10.
    03-13-14 10:41 AM
    Same problem all the markets have where they still have that presence - legacy users aren't converting (in significant numbers) - I can't think of a single market where having decent numbers of BB7 users has resulted in a high conversation rate to BB10.
    I think it had alot to do with price now with the z3 i think that could change things. I would also like them to release a even cheaper model
    03-13-14 10:51 AM
    We can all talk about BES 10/12 etc., but I suspect it's likely to be dying consumer sales market share that is going to tear BB a new #$$hole , and potentially bring on another wave of crippling media/cultural negativity once again, which will in turn damage BES uptake.

I really hope I'm wrong about this. On the other side of things, I've definitely seen an increase in BlackBerry 10 phones here in the UK, so hopefully things aren't so bad.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    well i dont think we can do any worse then last qtr so lol
    03-13-14 10:51 AM
    True...

03-13-14 10:58 AM
    True...

And even saying that Chen managed to smooth talk the stock to the green. I think Chen is going to talk more about the future then the actual qtr itself.
    03-13-14 11:03 AM
    OT, but have the specs of the BBRY Classic been made public? If not, what are they expected to be? I read in the BBRY release that it was going to be their new flagship device...
    03-13-14 11:12 AM
    I've actually become far more neutral in my expectations for BB in the past couple of months. Some great changes have been made, but I just have no faith that BlackBerry won't continue to have the worst marketing/PR in the world.

They come from a base that didn't need them to be good at marketing, and they still seem dangerously ineffective and out of touch. I haven't got any confidence that we will see very effective marketing of BlackBerry 10 this year, as wrong as I would love to be about this.

BlackBerry make things so hard on themselves by not prioritising brand image, and I can see this preventing BES 10/12 conversion and phone sales while cash gets shorter. Chen is a corporate guy, and a great one, but almost no one in the general public knows what or who SAP are - he comes from a background that isn't about PR. I know some might say that SAP is huge, etc., but that's only in the business world. We need a team at BlackBerry who understand the average person on the street as well, and I hope Chen is working on acquiring such people.

laketrout73 likes this.
    03-13-14 11:13 AM
    OT, but have the specs of the BBRY Classic been made public? If not, what are they expected to be? I read in the BBRY release that it was going to be their new flagship device...
    TBH, I think there are no specs because they don't know yet - if you look at the timings, the guy responsible for BB10 UI resigned a few days before they publically announced that the Buttons and trackpad were coming back - which suggests it is relatively new - I would think they are busy working out how a system not designed to work with that hardware will work and then we will see specs...
    03-13-14 11:15 AM
    Security issues with several older Samsung phones:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03...file_backdoor/
    03-13-14 11:20 AM
    I've actually become far more neutral in my expectations for BB in the past couple of months. Some great changes have been made, but I just have no faith that BlackBerry won't continue to have the worst marketing/PR in the world.

They come from a base that didn't need them to be good at marketing, and they still seem dangerously ineffective and out of touch. I haven't got any confidence that we will see very effective marketing of BlackBerry 10 this year, as wrong as I would love to be about this.

BlackBerry make things so hard on themselves by not prioritising brand image, and I can see this preventing BES 10/12 conversion and phone sales while cash gets shorter. Chen is a corporate guy, and a great one, but almost no one in the general public knows what or who SAP are - he comes from a background that isn't about PR. I know some might say that SAP is huge, etc., but that's only in the business world. We need a team at BlackBerry who understand the average person on the street as well, and I hope Chen is working on acquiring such people.

TBH i would like to see BB exit the american consumer market in my mind its a waste of marketing. Not only that it has been a point of attack for news and media. Says how bad there market share is and sales blah blah blah. If you exit the market place no one can say ****. I think we need to pick the low bearing fruit and sell and market in countries and markets where people are willing to listen and buy a blackberry. That is the consumer side of thing now the enterprise is where i think BB should spend there money to really push and gain ground in the enterprise. Also i would like to point out that changing the company name to Blackberry was shooting are self in the head , we are trying to get away from the idea of that we are solely a handset maker and what do we do we change are name to the name of our failing handsets. Seems pretty stupid to me if anything we should of changed the name to QNX Lol bc everything we seem to do now is based of QNX
    03-13-14 11:26 AM
    @BBUK14. I would not waste a dime on marketing to Joe Public. The limited cash that BlackBerry has can be spent in far better ways with much higher returns on investment. Business is the cash cow not consumer for BlackBerry!

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    bungaboy, sidhuk, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    03-13-14 11:30 AM
    well i dont think we can do any worse then last qtr so lol
    Please do not think that as it CAN get worst! I try not to tempt fate. I have made good money on BBRY the last few days but would never be caught again holding this stock prior to the QR again. Hopefully CHen will have some good news for BBRY!
    03-13-14 11:32 AM
    I think it had alot to do with price now with the z3 i think that could change things. I would also like them to release a even cheaper model
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru.../#post10108004
    sidhuk, zyben, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    03-13-14 11:33 AM
    03-13-14 11:33 AM
    At the time they did it, RIM was a weakend name and they believed that they had value stored in 80 million strong BlackBerry users. Their expectation was a great many of them would run to the new OS mostly because RIM hadn't produced a new handset in some time many of the faithful should be ready and willing to move over to the new OS. A successful launch of BB10 would have given them that momentum and BBRY would have been a good choice.

What happened then is the poor showing of BB10 brought the tarnish from RIM over to BBRY, not sure many didn't ever know the company wasn't named BlackBerry to start with.

They would almost be better off, IMHO using QNX or something other than anything associated with RIM or BBRY in a move towards "this is not your father's BlackBerry". If they had a marketing dept, that would be job #1.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-13-14 11:51 AM
    A little bit OT: But related.

The multi-function display craze | The Chronicle Herald
    rarsen and zyben like this.
    03-13-14 11:56 AM
    They're looking at a historical tendency for the stock to tank around the ER.
    As a BBRY realist but with no shorts positions, here is what I'm thinking.

BBRY's stock's rightful price is 6 - 7 USD based on current fundamentals. It is highly speculative that BBRY would be priced higher than when after BBRY had courted buyers and fail to find a legitimate investor. (If no actual industry insider like Microsoft, IBM, etc. thinks BBRY is worth 8 USD, why should we?)

BBRY's run up has been completely unreasonable; but, not without historical precedence. Every time a struggling company has a drastic change in leadership, the stock usually rallies. It is NOT because John Chen is a great speaker or is smarter than Heins or people approve of his plans. The stock would have rallied even if BBRY's next CEO were a Thanksgiving turkey.

How do shorts take advantage of this knowledge that BBRY's share price will pop? It's similar to how longs react when they perceive a "bear raid" coming. Longs would sell their shares and buy back later. Well, the shorts reaction would be short cover now and then short back later.

The stock price had reached a rough equilibrium for a couple weeks around 10 USD. The new CEO honeymoon/rally is over. So now is a great time to get back in to their short positions. The reason BBRY will be gaining shorts en masse is NOT because some fund manager is manipulating the stock or because there is any fundamental negative change to BBRY. It's merely the response of a 'buyback at lower price' strategy that every reasonable investor follows.

So expect BBRY stock to move back to 7 USD territory unless there is fundamental positive news coming up. That's my 2 cents about what we're seeing. Again, I don't have any short position in BBRY so take my words with a grain of salt; but, if I did, that is what I would be doing right now. Right now is an opportune time to short Blackberry.
    03-13-14 11:57 AM
    At the time they did it, RIM was a weakend name and they believed that they had value stored in 80 million strong BlackBerry users. Their expectation was a great many of them would run to the new OS mostly because RIM hadn't produced a new handset in some time many of the faithful should be ready and willing to move over to the new OS. A successful launch of BB10 would have given them that momentum and BBRY would have been a good choice.

What happened then is the poor showing of BB10 brought the tarnish from RIM over to BBRY, not sure many didn't ever know the company wasn't named BlackBerry to start with.

They would almost be better off, IMHO using QNX or something other than anything associated with RIM or BBRY in a move towards "this is not your father's BlackBerry". If they had a marketing dept, that would be job #1.
    May very well be. But, it is now history and none of us can change that and hindcasts don't seem to fit. We can only hope, that going forward, things will be better. Let's give the new Team a bit of time to execute their plan.
    Corbu, randall2580, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    03-13-14 12:11 PM
    As a BBRY realist but with no shorts positions, here is what I'm thinking.

BBRY's stock's rightful price is 6 - 7 USD based on current fundamentals. It is highly speculative that BBRY would be priced higher than when after BBRY had courted buyers and fail to find a legitimate investor. (If no actual industry insider like Microsoft, IBM, etc. thinks BBRY is worth 8 USD, why should we?)

Right now is an opportune time to short Blackberry.
    I have been watching for more than 2 years not and completely agree with this analysis. The reason it moved up because few longs got in and 70 millions shorts covered. This SP will double when all shorts cover but WHEN ? I have been hearing that for long time and my guess is that they will not cover until fundamentals change. Until then expect volatility, manipulation, bashing, pumping sucking up real investors blood to death. When bull news come out few shorts cover and then short again at top. On no new they keep shorting slowly. The short interest should be even higher before ER but I also expect some covering before ER so $9 might the magic number for now.
    bungaboy, sidhuk, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    03-13-14 12:15 PM
    @BBUK14. I would not waste a dime on marketing to Joe Public. The limited cash that BlackBerry has can be spent in far better ways with much higher returns on investment. Business is the cash cow not consumer for BlackBerry!

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    With respect, I think that you share the view of BlackBerry HQ, and that is my major concern. In short, I think this 'Enterprise Saves All' thinking is a pipe dream.

techvisor likes this.
    03-13-14 12:16 PM
    Good news for our TMO friends.

http://forums.crackberry.com/crackbe.../#post10114365
    zyben and sidhuk like this.
    03-13-14 12:24 PM
    With respect, I think that you share the view of BlackBerry HQ, and that is my major concern. In short, I think this 'Enterprise Saves All' thinking is a pipe dream.

Correction: that is not exactly the view of BlackBerry HQ, because they are releasing the Z3 and plan other phones. I think they realise that phone sales would fix everything, including brand image, and enterprise conversion difficulties. The problem is that the aren't spending enough on Joe Public and repairing public image.

Had the priced the Z10 35% lower to begin with to account for the brand negativity, and done some straightforward, informative marketing of the new OS, things would look a lot better right now in my view.

Now they are stuck with little cash and the same problem of poor brand image, and the question is what to do. I wouldn't bother with the US consumer market, but I would push hard with marketing in the UK this year, as well as in other markers where BlackBerry aren't so invisible.

Anyway, I've typed this all many times before. We will see how things go, but I think it's a huge mistake to think that enterprise can solve everything. My advice remains: sell the damn phones. That fixes brand image and takes huge pressure off of enterprise and everything else.

03-13-14 12:24 PM
    May very well be. But, it is now history and none of us can change that and hindcasts don't seem to fit. We can only hope, that going forward, things will be better. Let's give the new Team a bit of time to execute their plan.
    I am only trying to respond to some of the posts and threads I have seen since Chen made the comment in the interview the other day that he (and it seems many others) liked RIM better. There was a post above mine that said RIM should never have changed their name.

BlackBerry was trying to embrace a new chapter and a new OS when they did it and it made some sense at the time. In the same sense it could make sense again at a future date to move away from BlackBerry as well.
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    03-13-14 12:28 PM
    Tell me it didn't make you laugh when it turns out that Tmob will be first with the update :-).
    bungaboy and zachgeo like this.
    03-13-14 12:29 PM
    The "Core" business for BlackBerry is Enterprise $$$, always has and always will be. The consumer market will ebb and flow.
    03-13-14 12:37 PM
113,256 ... 24942495249624972498 ...