View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I am not sure the mighty Chen or even the golden cross can overcome China and Ukraine worries this week. I just hope the traders remember how bad Chen said it was going to be and don't hammer the stock at the ER. I can't imagine the sales numbers are great. Looking for BBM active users to be over 100M and for enterprise sales/contracts to be growing, maybe some nice words about QNX and the auto industry but the rest of the operating numbers could be ugly.

We know that, he told us how bad it would be, but the traders have short and forgetful memories........
    03-12-14 09:03 AM

We know that, he told us how bad it would be, but the traders have short and forgetful memories........
    Emphasis on short

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    bungaboy, lcjr, OMGitworks and 4 others like this.
    03-12-14 09:13 AM
    Good morning gang! Just checking in to see what's up in the BBRY world. Hope everyone has a great day!
    03-12-14 09:36 AM
    I am not sure the mighty Chen or even the golden cross can overcome China and Ukraine worries this week. I just hope the traders remember how bad Chen said it was going to be and don't hammer the stock at the ER. I can't imagine the sales numbers are great. Looking for BBM active users to be over 100M and for enterprise sales/contracts to be growing, maybe some nice words about QNX and the auto industry but the rest of the operating numbers could be ugly.

I'm looking forward to seeing diminished losses since they've pushed production off to Foxconn, as well as the first signs of BES10 revenue, which haven't been reported at all as of yet. (AFAIK)
    03-12-14 09:38 AM
    I'm looking forward to seeing diminished losses since they've pushed production off to Foxconn, as well as the first signs of BES10 revenue, which haven't been reported at all as of yet. (AFAIK)
    Yep BES10 revenue is key here, it's the future of BBRY. Need to know about the conversion rate and what's in the pipeline.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-12-14 09:43 AM
    Where is that "Golden Cross"
    03-12-14 09:45 AM
    A little bit OT, but, what OS would you prefer in your driverless vehicle?

California to regulate driverless cars by the end of 2014 - The Globe and Mail
    rarsen, zyben and sidhuk like this.
    03-12-14 09:45 AM
    Where is that "Golden Cross"
    Patience is a virtue, I hear.
    03-12-14 10:00 AM
    Patience is a virtue, I hear.
    OK, that sounds like a plan
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 03-12-14 at 11:29 AM.
    Superfly_FR and W Hoa like this.
    03-12-14 10:06 AM
    Yep BES10 revenue is key here, it's the future of BBRY. Need to know about the conversion rate and what's in the pipeline.
    Be careful with BES figures.
    Because with BES12 on its way, there's a bunch of enterprises (the big ones) that will probably choose it over BES10.
    This means we might have a growing number of trials yet not converted in fees ...
    That's my fear right now, as no trader will go that deep in research ...

My expectations are focused on the operating costs reduction added to the real estate operations (show me the cash !). We might see a nice operating cost lowering, one big indicator, if you ask me.
    Then I'd look to the inventory and device building costs ... but not sure we'll know much about it. Interesting to see if they finally "value" the former write-downs, as we still don't know how they calculated the $1Billion. Waiting to see how they dispached it into "losses" and "incentives/marketing/promotional offers" (sry, not sure it makes sense, hope you'll understand what I mean).

Moreover, I claim for guidance; we need to stop the street diktat about expectations. Set affordable next Q targets and chase for them; don't let "analysts" set the bar.
    W Hoa, zyben, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    03-12-14 10:14 AM
    Be careful with BES figures.
    Because with BES12 on its way, there's a bunch of enterprises (the big ones) that will probably choose it over BES10.
    This means we might have a growing number of trials yet not converted in fees ...
    That's my fear right now, as no trader will go that deep in research ...

My expectations are focused on the operating costs reduction added to the real estate operations (show me the cash !). We might see a nice operating cost lowering, one big indicator, if you ask me.
    Then I'd look to the inventory and device building costs ... but not sure we'll know much about it. Interesting to see if they finally "value" the former write-downs, as we still don't know how they calculated the $1Billion. Waiting to see how they dispached it into "losses" and "incentives/marketing/promotional offers" (sry, not sure it makes sense, hope you'll understand what I mean).

Moreover, I claim for guidance; we need to stop the street diktat about expectations. Set affordable next Q targets and chase for them; don't let "analysts" set the bar.
    What are the main differences between BES10 and BES12?

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 10:21 AM
    What are the main differences between BES10 and BES12?

Posted via CB10
    Windows Phone and integrated BES 5 (BBOS). I think the customers waiting for BES12 will probably join the early preview program when it becomes available.
    03-12-14 10:30 AM
    The real estate stuff and sales/lease backs are one-time items not likely to effect much. I's one of the first things analysts will toss out. I hope Chen gives some guidance on BES conversions whether 10 or 12, telling the street they have to wait isn't going to fly.

In the FWIW category, the kind of discussions and information shared here is exactly what real analysts use to do before the Internet made everyone an expert. Few dig this deep anymore to understand the REAL issues and REAL implications. Much deeper than the talking points the talking heads regurgitate. Its good stuff here, great mix of market, tech and "other" people to drill down on what really matters. Now to make some money off of all this info somehow........
    bungaboy, jxnb, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    03-12-14 10:49 AM
    The real estate stuff and sales/lease backs are one-time items not likely to effect much. I's one of the first things analysts will toss out. I hope Chen gives some guidance on BES conversions whether 10 or 12, telling the street they have to wait isn't going to fly.

In the FWIW category, the kind of discussions and information shared here is exactly what real analysts use to do before the Internet made everyone an expert. Few dig this deep anymore to understand the REAL issues and REAL implications. Much deeper than the talking points the talking heads regurgitate. Its good stuff here, great mix of market, tech and "other" people to drill down on what really matters. Now to make some money off of all this info somehow........
    I don't have enough money invested to make serious bucks off a rally.

I just like supporting what I consider to be superior technology.

Some days the BBRY bashing sounds like people crowing over how awesome their 8-tracks are while CDs are on the horizon.
    La Emperor, zyben, Corbu and 7 others like this.
    03-12-14 10:52 AM
    I have sold out of all of my position for now. I will probably pick up more shares post earnings. I am not encouraged by the latest BES10 announcements as they look like BlackBerry is just trying to keep a little positive news out there so the sentiment is not too negative. Trade in programs, like the one T-Mobile ran, are not good for subscriber fees and I agree that the revenue from BES10 is going to be ugly. Once BES 12, BBM video, and the BlackBerry Classic are ready to go then I will probably buy back in. I believe that there is a going to be a better entry point in the next few months compared to right now.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 10:56 AM

Good stuff!

Can I be . . . None of the above? LoL
    Corbu, sidhuk, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    03-12-14 11:01 AM
    Prem Watsa Comments on BlackBerry - Mar 11, 2014
    No sooner had the ink dried (almost!) after I wrote to you in last year's Annual Report about BlackBerry (BBRY), than BlackBerry became a daily headline. The Board of Directors of BlackBerry decided to form a Special Committee to look at all options for the company. As we were the biggest shareholder in the company (almost 10%) and were potentially conflicted by my being on the Board, I decided to resign as a director so we could review all our options. On September 23, 2013, Fairfax made an offer to take BlackBerry private at $9 per share, subject to a six-week due diligence period. To do our due diligence, we hired a very experienced team led by Sanjay Jha, who ran Motorola, Sandeep Chennakeshu, who was President of Ericsson Mobile Platforms, and John Bucher, who was Chief Strategy Officer at Motorola Mobility. Briefly stated, their conclusions were simply: 1) the company had excellent assets, 2) the management teams had made many mistakes along the way, and 3) the company could not afford high cost LBO debt. For the first time in our history, our due diligence resulted in our not being able to complete an announced deal. After discussions with the Special Committee, led by its Chair Tim Dattels, instead of continuing with a go-private transaction, we proposed to raise $1.25 billion for BlackBerry in the form of 6% seven-year convertible debentures (convertible at $10 per share into BlackBerry stock) and proposed that John Chen be concurrently appointed as Executive Chairman of BlackBerry.

John Chen has an extraordinary background. After immigrating to the U.S. from Hong Kong at the age of 16, John gained a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Brown and a Master's from Caltech. He then trained at Burroughs (Unisys), turned around Pyramid Technology Corp., and then very successfully resurrected Sybase and ran it profitably for about 15 years. When John took over Sybase in 1998, it had lost money for four years, its stock price

was down 90% (ring a bell?) and most analysts were predicting bankruptcy within six months. Within a year, Sybase was profitable and in 2010, 12 years later, SAP came knocking to buy it at $65 per share, more than ten times the $5 – $6 per share it sold at when John took it over! John has also been on the Board of Wells Fargo for eight years and Disney for ten years.

Since his appointment as Executive Chairman at BlackBerry in November 2013, John has bolstered the management team (mainly with people he has worked with), done a joint venture with FoxConn to manufacture low cost phones for emerging markets, brought back the ''BB Classic'' phone (the Q20) and publicly said that BlackBerry would break even by the fourth quarter of fiscal 2015 (i.e., the quarter ending January 2015). John is on his way – and all BlackBerry shareholders are fortunate that he decided to take the job of saving Canada's iconic technology company. I must also say, BlackBerry would not have survived if not for the extraordinary leadership of Tim Dattels as Chair of the Special Committee. You may understand why I say this if you read the recent book on Nortel's bankruptcy ''100 Days: The rush to judgment that killed Nortel'', by James Bagnall.

We purchased $500 million of the BlackBerry convertible debentures and have said that we would sell some of our common shares over time to rebalance our position (we have sold 5 million shares at about $10 per share as of this writing). The rest of the convertible debentures were purchased by six contrarian long term investors, of whom four were Canadian.

Interestingly, Twitter went public, just after BlackBerry announced its convertible debt issue, at $26 per share, giving it a market value of $18 billion. It had revenues of $665 million and losses of $645 million, and most investors could not get a single share unless they were very good clients of the major houses underwriting the issue. On that day, BlackBerry traded in excess of 100 million shares at $6 per share, giving it a market value of $3 billion. BlackBerry had revenues of approximately $8 billion with cash of $2.6 billion and no debt other than the new convertible debt to be issued. If you thought that Twitter was grossly overvalued at $26 per share, it promptly doubled and currently is selling at $55 per share, with a market value of $39 billion.
    03-12-14 11:52 AM
    Thanks crackerdoodle !
    For those of you on social feeds, here's a link : Mar 11, 2014 - Prem Watsa Comments on BlackBerry - GuruFocus.com
    rarsen, bungaboy and JLagoon like this.
    03-12-14 12:44 PM

IMHO, our biggest opponent here is time and unscheduled (bad) "surprises". I'd believe that the bigger the cash pile, the best Chen is to navigate with as few compromise as possible and push services in enterprises with strong incentives/packages.

About sharings here ... well, you're one of these value adding contributors
    jxnb, bungaboy, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    03-12-14 01:08 PM
    Good stuff!

Can I be . . . None of the above? LoL
    Ahhh not to worry. After I do enough deals with certain groups they come to realize that I am not really there for legal or financial advice but for comic relief. MUCH, MUCH more valuable than anything else to those who get it and have an ounce of perspective.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-12-14 01:14 PM
    Just to chime in. For those of us that are long and looking long term, remember ignore the noise.

You should, in my opinion be asking yourself two questions, these are AND, ie both answers have to be Yes in order to look at the investment.

1) do you believe that John Chen's plan for BlackBerry is viable?
    2) do you believe that the plan can be executed upon?

So for me I think that they have the right plan and so far I can see them executing on it. Everything we were discussing before Xmas is coming to light.

Do I think the earnings will be bad for the stock.

Truth is I don't know and I don't care. If i didn't believe they could turn it around I would not have invested anyway.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 01:33 PM
    Goldman Sachs Increases BlackBerry Price Target to $9.50 (RIMM) - Mideast Time

Investment analysts at Goldman Sachs increased their target price on shares of BlackBerry (NASDAQ:RIMM) from $7.80 to $9.50 in a note issued to investors on Wednesday, Analyst RN reports. The firm currently has a “neutral” rating on the stock. Goldman Sachs’ price target would suggest a potential downside of 27.06% from the company’s current price.
    03-12-14 01:45 PM
    Citrix Xenmobile 8.7 now meets high-security requirements of Enterprise Mobility - Application Delivery, MDM, VDI, Cloud and Virtualization News | Ervik.as

Citrix has announced that a new version of XenMobile is coming with new security and feature enhancements. The new release empowers organizations in highly regulated industries, such as government agencies, to embrace device choice, improve productivity with quick access to more apps, and provide support for Microsoft Lync online meetings and other communication environments, without sacrificing security, control and most importantly, user experience. Citrix also enables enterprises and government agencies that are planning to phase out BlackBerry devices to transition smoothly, knowing their data and existing apps are secure, integrated and supported.
    03-12-14 01:55 PM
    Exelis settles GPS patent infringement claim against Blackberry | Virtual-Strategy Magazine

Exelis (NYSE: XLS) has reached a license agreement with Blackberry regarding patent infringement claims related to Exelis assisted Global Positioning System (GPS) technology. The license agreement resolves all issues regarding the company’s claim that the mobile devices and components sold or supported by Blackberry, incorporating assisted GPS technology, infringed Exelis patent rights. Specific details of the license agreement will remain confidential.
    03-12-14 03:20 PM
    Guys. Which country never paid BlackBerry last or prior ER? Argentina or Venezuela?

The reason I ask is I just got an alert "APA: Apache gets paid by YPF in Argentina oil deal".
    sidhuk likes this.
    03-12-14 03:20 PM
113,256 ... 24912492249324942495 ...