View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Every day I'm more and more impressed with the potential of what BBM could become.

However, if BlackBerry wants to encourage people to post.. maybe they should start by updating their 'the BBM channel' or 'verified channels' more often. Right now their BBM channel has more followers than the BBM Twitter page. Use it wisely! Also, I mostly add verified channels because they're generally more interesting / trustworthy but right now the dedicated channel for verified channels is only showing a few. And I'm sure there are plenty of others. Either update the channel or get rid of it.

On a different note: I'm glad they're doing small updates to the BlackBerry homepage. I found myself browsing through their website a few months back wondering if they could've made it any more confusing / outdated. I personally like their biz blog, which should have a more central role in the future I hope.

I know, way off topic. But how could you possibly run a business nowadays with a website that only confuses clients

Posted via CB10
    My biggest wish for BB Channels is to Blacklist the GD Spammers. It is unbelievable!
    zyben, Bacon Munchers and _dimi_ like this.
    03-10-14 01:09 PM
    There are the public reasons and then the private ones.

Unless you think the Libor scandal was just a couple of people joking around with arbitrary numbers that meant nothing to trillions of dollars of global value.
    I don't need any conspiracy theories to explain greed. I enjoy your posts and have enough hassles at work so just let's agree to disagree and move on and wish BBRY well moving forward.
    03-10-14 01:17 PM
    The irony...

Haha! Couldn't resist Bunga

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, _dimi_ and rarsen like this.
    03-10-14 01:17 PM
    My point was the same as Snowden's #3, if they want it, they will get it.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-10-14 01:21 PM
    Only with the agreement of the Canadian government, which opens up a whole new can of worms.

You can't initiate a random hostile takeover in Canada by a foreign power. Especially since the company in question is deeply involved in national security.

Anyone who thinks Apple or Microsoft could have just waltzed in an bought BBRY for a song is living in a dream world that doesn't reflect the reality of the situation at all. The Canadian financial regulatory system staved off the worst effects of the Great Depression, the Market Crash of 2008 and a number of other failures of the American financial system by having tighter regulations that prevent companies from doing the kinds of things you seem to believe they're capable of doing.
    It's publically traded company. If Apple or MS had offered $20 a share how would the Board have rejected that? Would the Canadian gov't blocked a sale to Apple or MS? I have a hard time seeing that happen. Lenovo absolutely, but blocking a sale from a large Canadian company to a large US company might have had serious trade and political implications. Same for selling a US corp to a Canadian corp. There is a big difference, especially in political terms between agreeing with something v actually opposing and blocking something. They probably wouldn't have been happy about it, but blocking a sale of a faultering BBRY to Apple or MS is almost unthinkable.

JMHO..... interesting hypothetical though.
    03-10-14 01:30 PM
    Hey M-8

At this rate are we even going to have a golden cross
    03-10-14 01:35 PM
    Looking for re-entry between here and 9.5 for a bounce play....
    03-10-14 01:35 PM
    My point was the same as Snowden's #3, if they want it, they will get it.
    Sorry if it was unclear but it's my words/interpretation of Snowden's and webcast animators' explanations; he didn't specifically named BBM nor BlackBerry.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    03-10-14 01:42 PM
    From another CB thread:

Pretty well done. BBRY needs all the exposure it can get.
    zyben, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    03-10-14 01:44 PM
    Good advice also for BlackBerry investors?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLSV...&v=3mtMVV54hJI
    03-10-14 01:51 PM
    Somewhat OT but this map gives the relative importance of Internet penetration and probable total smartphone use around the globe, originating from an Oxford Internet Institute study. The attached French article quoting the source, giving interesting comments when comparing the use between certain countries. Noting population deforming the relative size of each country...

Les surprises de la carte du monde selon les connexions � Internet - Le nouvel Observateur

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-internet-population-penetration-823641.jpg
    Corbu, jxnb, morganplus8 and 2 others like this.
    03-10-14 02:03 PM
    I don't believe this.

Yes, BlackBerry's crash coincided the 2008 market crash, but it also coincided with the passing of new amendments to the FISA act, which directly related to foreign communications entering and leaving America.

Ten years from now they'll probably attributing large portions of the crash to American companies freaking out that their tax evading actions would suddenly come under scrutiny by the government who was recording all their conversations with foreign institutions they were using to hide their revenue.
    Blackberry crashed when companies in 2008 stopped updating their phones every year. They also started to listen to their employees who told them they wanted nicer, more up to date hardware that Blackberry was just plain not providing.
    03-10-14 02:10 PM
    Americans are not Allowed to Use BlackBerry. Do you not get it? Working class slaves will not enjoy the privilege of security or privacy. Only the elite will be able to use BlackBerry made phones. Why else would the rich and powerful only use BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    I am neither rich nor powerful. I am as American - in the way we in the United States use the term as our own even thought it is not - as anyone who posts here semi regularly. 2 weeks ago I went into a Verizon store and ordered a Z30 which arrived at my house the next day. No one argued with me - they just took my money and set up the account, they seemed very happy to do that.

I know it's very hard to understand how BlackBerry has just lost completely the minds of the American consumer as a whole but that is where BlackBerry's problem lies here. Those who want them can get them very easily - I have had a BlackBerry phone on Nextel, AT&T and now Verizon since 2004 (the venerable 7520). No one I know goes to the store with BlackBerry on their minds and most likely does not consider BlackBerry at all competitive with iOS and Android flagships. BlackBerry has done absolutely nothing here to change that meme and so it continues to this day. The last thing of any consequence BlackBerry themselves did here in the USA was that Super Bowl commerical. Very little else that would be noticed by "Joe the Plumber".

Sorry this is on BlackBerry at this point. Chen has the way back right it starts with Enterprise and works it way back out again - that's how it happened the first time. The folks in the regulated industries still have some mind about what a BlackBerry is and what it means for them and so they "get it" literally and figuratively. Everyone else, not so much.
    03-10-14 02:20 PM
    OT: golden cross occurring for THLD... *grabs a beer*
    take99 and Shanerredflag like this.
    03-10-14 02:27 PM
    Good Grief! We are having another "buying opportunity"!
    03-10-14 02:36 PM
    OT - got filled for $13.50 with HALO

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 02:45 PM
    Looks like bio stocks all rebounding today, HALO bounced off bottom BB, should be a rally in the coming days

Regards to bbry, volume is dead!!! Don't expect much movement until earnings

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    03-10-14 02:51 PM
    Small position at $9.66
    03-10-14 02:59 PM
    It's publically traded company. If Apple or MS had offered $20 a share how would the Board have rejected that? Would the Canadian gov't blocked a sale to Apple or MS? I have a hard time seeing that happen. Lenovo absolutely, but blocking a sale from a large Canadian company to a large US company might have had serious trade and political implications. Same for selling a US corp to a Canadian corp. There is a big difference, especially in political terms between agreeing with something v actually opposing and blocking something. They probably wouldn't have been happy about it, but blocking a sale of a faultering BBRY to Apple or MS is almost unthinkable.

JMHO..... interesting hypothetical though.
    The Canadian government has already demonstrated it will block sales of Canadian companies to foreign interests if there isn't a net benefit to Canadians. It's not that our corporations are less greedy, we've just got more oversight, plain and simple. Talk all you want about how the board would have viewed selling their company for a 7th of its market cap from 5 years ago, it never would have happened. And if there was an offer on the table that was rejected by the government, yes, it would have sent the market into turmoil. Mainly because you'd be wondering why Apple and MS think the company is worth so much if the market is expecting it to crash and burn.

Federal government blocks sale of MDA space division - Business - CBC News
    WebCite query result
    MTS Allstream | Government of Canada Rejects MTS Sale of Allstream to Accelero Capital Holdings
    Open for business? Ottawa’s ability to block foreign sales complicates BlackBerry and telecom deal making | Financial Post

Of course, you could just keep believing that your money can buy whatever it wants. But you're still living in a dream world.

Blackberry crashed when companies in 2008 stopped updating their phones every year. They also started to listen to their employees who told them they wanted nicer, more up to date hardware that Blackberry was just plain not providing.
    BlackBerry continued to grow their subscriber base and continued to show record profits during the period in 2008 when it had it's largest fall.

But hey, what do actual historical quarterly earnings mean in the face of your opinions of what happened?
    03-10-14 03:11 PM
    Small position at $9.66
    Good luck. I'm really curious as to how it opens tomorrow. Both the patterns I was watching broke to the downside but the horizontal support held.... barely. Could definitely use something positive before open.
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    03-10-14 03:29 PM
    Yeah, not certain of direction, that's why only a small position. Will add if it cycles down, will sell half on pop.

Good luck. I'm really curious as to how it opens tomorrow. Both the patterns I was watching broke to the downside but the horizontal support held.... barely. Could definitely use something positive before open.
    cjcampbell and morganplus8 like this.
    03-10-14 03:37 PM
    Balls of steel.
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-10-14 03:56 PM
    I picked up some more BB today and some BLRX to complete my TFSA purchases.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-10-14 04:04 PM
    The Canadian government has already demonstrated it will block sales of Canadian companies to foreign interests if there isn't a net benefit to Canadians. It's not that our corporations are less greedy, we've just got more oversight, plain and simple. Talk all you want about how the board would have viewed selling their company for a 7th of its market cap from 5 years ago, it never would have happened. And if there was an offer on the table that was rejected by the government, yes, it would have sent the market into turmoil. Mainly because you'd be wondering why Apple and MS think the company is worth so much if the market is expecting it to crash and burn.

Federal government blocks sale of MDA space division - Business - CBC News
    WebCite query result
    MTS Allstream | Government of Canada Rejects MTS Sale of Allstream to Accelero Capital Holdings
    Open for business? Ottawa’s ability to block foreign sales complicates BlackBerry and telecom deal making | Financial Post

Of course, you could just keep believing that your money can buy whatever it wants. But you're still living in a dream world.

BlackBerry continued to grow their subscriber base and continued to show record profits during the period in 2008 when it had it's largest fall.

But hey, what do actual historical quarterly earnings mean in the face of your opinions of what happened?
    I think it would be fair to say the Canadian government rarely blocks anything as it should be. 4-5 times over 25 years is not a great track record of interfering with capital markets and deals. We can debate the hypotheticals forever. I never said money can buy it all, all I said was Apple or MS money could have bought struggling BBRY for the right price. Combination of timing, price, the companies and technology involved and politics. My opinion is that there is no way they would have blocked it, you think I am naive, and am living in a "dream world" so be it. I think you don't appreciate how finance and corporate and US-Canada relations and politics work. Snubbing Apple or MS would be a serious breach of the great relationship and trust our countries have and I don''t think your government would have spent the political capital necessary block it. We will never know.
    03-10-14 04:05 PM
    We already do know. BBRY didn't participate after FISA passed. It would have been contrary to national interests to participate that deeply with an American company.

BBRY's aims are global. Why try to shore up a relationship with a country that's busy digging it's own economic grave at the expense of a much larger global marketplace?
    03-10-14 04:16 PM
113,250 ... 24862487248824892490 ...