View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Hey guys. Quick question. A friend wants a Z10 from Kijiji and found a factory unlocked one she wants to pick up. Which variant is for use on Virgin Mobile. I want to make sure she gets the right one. I'd search it out but finding things on this site can be painful at times.

Posted via CB10
    Hi CJ,

According to the link below, Virgin uses Bell's network. And the variant that runs on Bell's network is STL-100-3:

BlackBerry Z10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your friend should double check with her carrier just in case.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    03-06-14 12:12 PM
    Attachment 253221

What a stupid ad. The cookie jar makes sense, but what on earth are these BlackBerry marketing people doing with their time? What does a rap concert have to do with anything? Besides possibly offending people, but is this ads use? Great, so the Z30 offers more security for your data than a rap concert...and according to the ad a rap concert is halfway between the security of a cookie jar and a mobile phone? These BlackBerry marketing people are a bunch of 'fauxtrepreneurs' lol...what a joke...

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    Wtf? Chen needs to fire who ever made that and oked it

Posted via CB10
    kfh227 likes this.
    03-06-14 12:25 PM
    Wtf? Chen needs to fire who ever made that and oked it

Posted via CB10
    The add, I feel, was trying to relate security to what "the average person " could relate to. The cookie jar representing no security. The rap concert, security all over the place but still easy to get things past them. At the top BlackBerry, secure.

My 2 cents.

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-06-14 12:40 PM
    Why is it "rap concerts"? Some weird racial undertones with that ad.

However having said that... check out this effort from LG:

They should flood their marketing department and hope that nobody survives.
    That commercial was painful

bungaboy likes this.
    03-06-14 12:44 PM
    Anybody knows what's up with halo today? Down nearly 8%...
    03-06-14 01:00 PM
    Attachment 253221

What a stupid ad. The cookie jar makes sense, but what on earth are these BlackBerry marketing people doing with their time? What does a rap concert have to do with anything? Besides possibly offending people, but is this ads use? Great, so the Z30 offers more security for your data than a rap concert...and according to the ad a rap concert is halfway between the security of a cookie jar and a mobile phone? These BlackBerry marketing people are a bunch of 'fauxtrepreneurs' lol...what a joke...

I read it as:

Cookie Jar = Android

Rap Concert = iTunes = iOS

Top Level Security = BlackBerry
    dusdal and Andy_bb_king like this.
    03-06-14 01:06 PM
    Thanks for the heads up, bought a small position at $14.
    jmehta22, snejpa, bondary and 2 others like this.
    03-06-14 01:06 PM
    Not sure it has been linked yet. #1 slot on Nasdaq related articles for BBRY
    Should You Buy BlackBerry? (BBRY)
    Interesting approach ...
    bungaboy, rarsen and jxnb like this.
    03-06-14 01:08 PM
    I read it as:

Cookie Jar = Android

That actually makes sense. But it is transparent as a can of paint.

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB likes this.
    03-06-14 01:08 PM
    I read it as:

Cookie Jar = Android

I read it as:

BlackBerry are out of touch with their audience and couldn't market space heaters in the Arctic.

Don't believe me? Check out this gem from a while back...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-1394132792483_805401.jpeg

Bloody 'fauxtrepreneur'...jesus christ...

zachgeo and kfh227 like this.
    03-06-14 01:12 PM
    ^ I quite like that one.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-06-14 01:15 PM
    It is never easy to tell but it might have something to do with XOMA margin calls. The volume is light but it is one of those basket of stocks.

Nice to see BBRY staying above $ 10.00 today.
    03-06-14 01:16 PM
    To be honest, I've really liked the majority of these white writing on black background stuff they've been doing. It really resonates with me.

I know a lot of fauxtrepreneurs.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, Korepab and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-06-14 01:16 PM
    You know, the more I look at that ad the dumber it gets. Shouldn't the idea be to show how secure BB is comparison to other things that claim to be secure?

A cookie jar doesn't even have a lock on it lol...all the ad is saying is that the Z30 is more secure than a couple things that are aren't secure at all...? AWFUL.

It's easy to steal from a Cookie Jar "Caught with your hand in the cookie jar" (ANDROID)

It's a bit harder to sneak into a Rap Concert (iOS)

BlackBerry Security is top level! Top Drawer! Top of the Ladder. The Ladder of success!

it's better than a LG handjob!
    lcjr likes this.
    03-06-14 01:19 PM
    ^ I quite like that one.

Posted via CB10
    Say it ain't so, dusdal!

dusdal likes this.
    03-06-14 01:22 PM
    I can't find the thread but this came up when QNX was first bought and from what I remember we worked out that due to volume licensing, that it is cents rather than dollars they get from each install - I'll try and find the thread.
    I thought people had said that prior to CAR2, each automaker had to build their own GUI. Once CAR2 came out, QNX provided provided the GUI framework and that would help speed time to market for the automakers. So, more value add tot the automakers. Therefore hopefully the CAR2 platform has a different, and much more profitable licensing structure.

Let's also hope the QNX engineers built in more BB10 integration links (like the 999-555-1234 link) that automakers can't disable in favor of CarPlay or Android.
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-06-14 01:22 PM
    The add, I feel, was trying to relate security to what "the average person " could relate to. The cookie jar representing no security. The rap concert, security all over the place but still easy to get things past them. At the top BlackBerry, secure.

My 2 cents.

I agree. But maybe it's too simple to be effective.
    03-06-14 01:23 PM
    Worth buying more halo then? I'm about to shoot an order

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 01:23 PM
    To be honest, I've really liked the majority of these white writing on black background stuff they've been doing. It really resonates with me.

Posted via CB10
    I know a lot of people like that exist, but the fauxtrepreneur thing...it makes me cringe...i do agree that SOME of those ads aren't bad though...

03-06-14 01:24 PM
    That commercial was painful

I think it was aimed at the UK audience.
    sidhuk likes this.
    03-06-14 01:25 PM
    Worth buying more halo then? I'm about to shoot an order

Posted via CB10
    At $ 14.15 you are only a little over a buck higher than the 8.8 MM shares that were issued and paid for with $ 120 MM bucks. You might be safe here. I do think it is part of the ACAD drop and the XOMA margin calls, it is day two of the XOMA sell-off and you usually wait until day three to buy those drops as they always include margin problems on day two. ACAD is below the issue price now and that would indicate money is being raised to take-up the issue.
    jxnb, Corbu and Mr BBRY like this.
    03-06-14 01:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    LoL Just visit the Armchair CEO Forum here at CB!
    dusdal likes this.
    03-06-14 01:30 PM
    You guys wanna know why I'm nervous about the upcoming ER?

Look familiar? I don't plan to hold much, if anything going into earnings. If it gaps up, oh well. But if it dumps, well, you know what happens.
    morganplus8, rarsen, lcjr and 3 others like this.
    03-06-14 01:33 PM
    That car play video actually made me laugh.

Posted via CB10
    Same here. I thought the pony-tail-with-expensive-suit thing went out of style some time around 2004...
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-06-14 01:38 PM
    QNX isn't making the car, just the software.

As systems like these become ubiquitous, the hardware margins eventually vanish, as Samsung has discovered and Apple will soon find out.

Software margins on factors like security and reliability can be small, but they represent almost 100% per profit once the r&d costs have been covered. Those kind of margins are what the Internet of Things will be all about for QNX and BBRY. Hundreds of millions of per implementation licenses based on providing secure and reliable devices and communications between devices. This kind of market is what Microsoft dreamed of but could never aspire towards due to being tied to a bloated and inefficient codebase.
    I get and agree with some of that, but I think I'd want to know the margins and volumes to see which entity I'd rather be and then project something. I think for $$ purposes, I'd still rather be Apple. Perhaps it will commoditized, but not anytime soon. There are only 15M cars sold in the US each year and about 80 M worldwide. Apple sold 150M iPhones and 71M i pads with massive $$ per unit profit being realized. Apple would have to have a dramatic fall off in sales and QNX would have to have massive market share, dominate almost every type of market, create and enter new markets and increase there profit margins 10-20 fold to catch up.

I am not wishing for or against an Apple Failure. I do hope QNX succeeds. However, "long term viability", APPL v BBRY/QNX I'd definitely go with the former.

As for MS, I think they were guilty of the same thing BBRY did as well as many other companies. Hubris. They both were innovators and leaders and then got complacent and failed to maintain and grow the huge lead they built. MS and BBRY guessed wrong on almost every major initiative. We shall see how each does over the next 5 years.

EDIT: All I really want to see is some details on the financials for QNX to see what markets they are in and what kind of revenue and margin they have. Only then can we really have any intelligent conversation about QNX. A don't have any idea if this is a real potential for serious grow or just small piece of the pie
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 03-06-14 at 01:52 PM.
    03-06-14 01:41 PM
113,256 ... 24762477247824792480 ...