View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    This is going to be huge competition. Also apple maps and traffic prediction are going to get a lot better with the data this will provide them.
    QNX advantage is stability and predictable performance. Apple might not come out of the gate fully stable. And customers want full stability in their cars.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure what the difference is between this and Google Maps with Traffic that is already used in Audi / BMW....on top of QNX.
    03-03-14 08:43 AM
    Lots of stocks are red in PM because of uncertainty from the Ukraine situation.
    Still looks like a head fake.

The Ukraine situation itself is a head fake.
    OMGitworks, Mr BBRY and La Emperor like this.
    03-03-14 08:58 AM
    Not sure what the difference is between this and Google Maps with Traffic that is already used in Audi / BMW....on top of QNX.
    I suspect nothing, BUT, this will do what Apple always does and cash in on the large installed iOS user base and likely offer the same/similar mediocre but stable/familiar experience you get on your iPhone. It won't be as good as the QNX product, but it will be seamless and familiar and that will be a huge selling point to manufacturers and customers. Acura/Honda has started to do the same thing with iOS integration in their new larger 7" touchscreens. Its basically a mirror of your phone on the touchscreen (pinch/zoom features too) with the "unsafe" apps disabled. Its far from the best or ideal, but its there now and there are people ready for it. Of course there are apps for it already............
    03-03-14 09:04 AM
    The other issue is that the QNX systems will have to support iOS and Andriod or they will be DOA. I am not sure the reverse is true and that BB10 support needs to be part of other systems for manufacturers to accept them. I always see that they support iOS and Android and BB is not mentioned. I don't know if that is because BB isn't supported or if they just aren't mentioning it. Does anyone know this answer?
    03-03-14 09:10 AM
    Doing my taxes right now and wondering if I could force a capital loss without completely selling my shares. (I'm thinking ahead for tax year 2014)

From what I understand if you sell a stock and buy it back in 30 days, you have a superficial loss.
    But what if you purchased additional shares and then immediately sold them. You would get at least a capital loss of the difference between the adjusted cost base and the selling cost.

E.g.
    May 2013) Buy 100 shares at $20 (ACB = $2000 | Avg$/Share = $20 )
    Jan 2014) Buy 100 shares at $10 (ACB = $3000 | Avg$/Share = $15 )
    Jan 2014) Sell 100 shares at $10 <--Since my previous Avg$/Share = $15, I am selling at a loss of $5/Share, so I can claim a capital loss of $500?

Is this correct?
    (Note: These are for Canadian tax purposes)
    Without reading your example, you are talking about wash sale laws.

You also have to declare which lot your selling. If you don't, it's first in first out. In your example you are selling at a $ 100 share loss.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 09:15 AM
    In South Africa . . .

New research released last week showed that 98 out of 100 students own a smartphone. Most students own BlackBerrys, with Samsung a close second. Given the choice of retaining only one function on their phone, students cited WhatsApp, followed by BBM, Twitter and Instagram.
    Alcohol, tobacco, smartphones, top of pops for students
    sidhuk, zyben, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    03-03-14 09:34 AM
    Oh my. Where is the 10:30 dip today?
    sidhuk, Superfly_FR and jxnb like this.
    03-03-14 09:39 AM
    This morning,I sent out a limit buy order faithfully set at 9.60 for my second block buyback. It touched at 8.66 so didn't get filled. But I am still happy because my fist buybackblock at $9 looks very good at the moment.
    03-03-14 09:39 AM
    Oh, anyone knows how to get rid of the annoy DELL STRIPS on my screen?
    03-03-14 09:40 AM
    Without reading your example, you are talking about wash sale laws.

You also have to declare which lot your selling. If you don't, it's first in first out. In your example you are selling at a $ 100 share loss.

Posted via CB10
    CANADIAN Tax law........

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 09:45 AM
    You have a number of part-time jobs and a fulltime job at TSYS. How do you juggle it all?

Coordination is the key. Planning my schedule days and weeks in advance helps. I still have a BlackBerry because it's the best at keeping everything together communication-wise.
    Five Questions with Dana Barker: Learning to make the tough calls | 5 Questions | Columbus Ledger Enquirer
    sidhuk likes this.
    03-03-14 09:56 AM
    Just looked at the stock chart.
    WTF?
    LoL

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    03-03-14 10:03 AM
    03-03-14 10:15 AM
    This is Apple's CarPlay.

03-03-14 10:25 AM
    Wow! Didn't see this one coming:

------------------

Meet Panasonic's new Windows smartphone

3rd Mar 2014 | 11:20

Toughpad 5 = a phablet in denial?

Panasonic exited the smartphone market back in 2012, a move that was followed a year later by that of the closure of its plasma TV division.

So it was with quite some excitement and surprise that we heard the company was launching a smartphone based on Windows.

The Toughpad 5 is available both on Android (4.2) and on Windows Embedded 8 Handheld OS Windows, built on Windows Phone 8.

Both work on ARM but WE8 is geared towards the enterprise and business, focusing on so-called line-of-business handheld devices

Talking points

The biggest differences are native support for Active Directory, a 10-year support program plus guaranteed product availability for 15 years and increased input options as well as bundled security capabilities (like in Panasonic's case, a security chip courtesy of Marvell).

The fact that the Toughpad 5 looks like a brick means that it will unlikely to an attractive option for BYOD aficionado (and therefore not likely to be taken down the pub).

The take-home features include a tile-based interface, dual-SIM support, rear and front cameras and voice call capabilities.

The obvious question here is whether Microsoft will allow its OEMs to launch smartphones with Windows Embedded 8 Handheld OS, based on more traditional designs.

Focusing on business

Stephen Yeo, Marketing Director for Panasonic System Communications EMEA, told TechRadar Pro that the company will be focusing on the business market, working on products that can "speak between themselves" thanks to open standards.

He also underlined the benefits of tapping the "collective intelligence of interconnected devices" which includes collecting, analysing and distributing the data as part of the current shift to M2M and IoT.

-------------------
    The reason why I drag this into our mix is because Panasonic tough books are ubiquitous in the police and military, so one may see this as a future contender for BlackBerry...(?)
    03-03-14 10:27 AM
    About 1 week ago, Microsoft announced 9 new WP partners including Foxconn. Expect to see more soon.
    03-03-14 10:30 AM
    Hello gang !
    Will be on my way to a new BlackBerry French Fans meetup (with CBK) in a few minutes and under heavy work load ... so just a friendly pop and ... a nice chart to begin the week with a smile !

P.S: I will soon also deliver some elements about BlackBerry and the enterprise (BES in the cloud included), stay tuned !
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    03-03-14 10:34 AM
    Great price action this morning. Nice rally!

Posted via CB10
    MelCali82 likes this.
    03-03-14 10:37 AM
    Speaking of my last post. Want to see the most blatant copy of a BlackBerry ever?:

Man! I thought the first HTC one looked suspicious. This one takes the cake.
    Well, if imitation is the best from of flattery....
    bungaboy, sidhuk, zyben and 1 others like this.
    03-03-14 10:39 AM
    Chef Tyler Florence is promoting BB/Channels on Instagram:

I just started my BBM Channel. Play around with it. It's like Instagram, Twitter and tumblr but with no limits. You can load 16 bits of data. Longer videos, lots of pics, plus you can call and video chat with friends right from the app. Very interesting. Works with iOS and Android.

no one is paying me. I like tech and I follow business trends. Fascinating story. They're getting their act together. I won't bore you with why I think it's BB's year. It's not the same company it was a few years ago. Don't count them out.

Instagram
    03-03-14 10:42 AM
    * WARNING *

The Associated Press ‏@AP 13 min BREAKING: Dow Jones industrial average drops 200 points as tensions rise over standoff in Ukraine.

Be very careful.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-03-14 at 11:22 AM.
    bungaboy, Ribes Nigrum and rarsen like this.
    03-03-14 11:05 AM
    * WARNING *

The Associated Press ‏@AP 13 min BREAKING: Dow Jones industrial average drops 200 points as tensions rise over standoff in Ukraine.

Be very careful.
    Market is down but BBRY is up.

Surprised? Not really.
    bungaboy, rarsen and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-03-14 11:24 AM
    sold out of my losing F position and now waiting for nice bargain opportunity
    03-03-14 11:33 AM
    Great to be up in a down market. Great show of strength.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 11:57 AM
    03-03-14 01:31 PM
113,256 ... 24672468246924702471 ...