02-26-14 06:46 AM
    I think his answer was more a joke than anything else

Posted via CB10
    I do think you are probably right.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    02-26-14 06:47 AM
    So, what will happen today.

I am thinking it will not be as good as yesterday and BBRY could even pull back a bit so some of us feel good about getting back in!

I do think that BBRY has broken though it's "funk" and that Chen might actually know what it is doing.

Still so much to do in this recovery but they are heading in the right direction!

Good Luck to all
    dusdal likes this.
    02-26-14 07:19 AM
    Tizen gets pulled for another year?

If they launched right now, the struggles with deploying a new platform would make BBRY 's journey look like a walk in the park.

Vapourware.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-26-14 07:31 AM
    An actual decent CNET article on BlackBerry. Who would have thunk it. Pay particular attention to the last line. Shows some more of Chen's wit and personality.

http://m.cnet.com/news/blackberry-ce...omers/57619525

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, sidhuk, bungaboy and 8 others like this.
    02-26-14 07:37 AM
    Sorry guys, fairly long but I thought it was worth a read.

A WhathsApp That Makes Money
    ttp://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304834704579405232330645204

South Korea’s Kakao Pushes Boundaries of Social Media
    Far From Keeping Things Simple, Ventures Include basic messaging, Gaming and Celebrity “Friending”

BARCELONA— Jan Koum, WhatsApp Inc.'s chief executive, vowed this week to keep his messaging service simple, despite a $19 billion deal to be swallowed up by Facebook Inc.

Sirgoo Lee, co-chief executive of South Korea's Kakao Corp., is making no such promises. With 133 million registered users, Mr. Lee is rolling out dozens of services—from basic messaging, mobile gaming, Instagram-style photo sharing, and online shopping—all on a user interface that is bursting with bright colors.

Amid a frenzy among messaging platforms that have either agreed to sell themselves or are seeking investor cash in public offerings, Kakao stands out as a laboratory of experimentation in the nascent medium.

"We're trying all kinds of different things and services," Mr. Lee said in a recent interview. "You can call it our survival instinct."

Earlier this month, Cyprus-based messaging app Viber Media Inc., which has 300 million registered users, but doesn't yet make money, sold itself to Japan's Rakuten Inc. for $900 million. Days later, WhatsApp said it had agreed to be acquired by Facebook.

Line Corp., Japan's dominant messaging platform, has been exploring a public offering. Kakao itself is close to signing bankers to lead its own planned IPO, which could value the company at more than $2.5 billion, according to people familiar with the matter.

Outside investors in the company, whose service runs on 93% of South Korea's smartphones, include China's Tencent Holdings Ltd., maker of its own widely popular messaging service, WeChat.

Mr. Lee said he's actively experimenting with seven or eight new projects, in search of fresh streams of revenue. He said not all of the company's initiatives have yet translated into moneymakers, but Kakao has found at least three businesses so far that are generating steady sales.

Its biggest moneymaking hit, he says, is Kakao's gaming platform, which has become the mobile gatekeeper for South Korea's gaming industry. South Korea is one of the most gaming-crazed countries in the world. Kakao parlays its access to users' list of phone contacts to pit friends against one another on an array of diversions, from Sunday Toz Corp.'s "Anipang" to "Candy Crush Saga," developed by London- and Stockholm-based King Digital Entertainment PLC.

Anipang shares revenue from things like in-game virtual goods and other features with games developers. The popularity of Anipang, which users play through Kakao's messaging platform, helped Kakao notch up about $6.5 million in profit, on $42 million of sales, in 2012, through in-service purchases of virtual goods. The privately held company hasn't released any financial data for 2013.

All but three of the top 25 revenue-generating apps on Google Inc.'s mobile Play Store in Korea are games running on Kakao's platform, according to Google.

Another big success for Kakao: a service called "Plus Friend," which allows users to become virtual friends with retail brands, media outlets and celebrities, such as McDonald's Corp. and "Gangnam Style" singer Psy. Through Plus Friend, participating brands and stars send a set number of monthly messages, coupons and real-time information to their followers—for a fee. Since Plus Friend launched two years ago, it has become Kakao's second-biggest moneymaker, according to Mr. Lee.

And Kakao's third big sales engine is virtual and real-life goods, allowing users to buy cartoon images to send to their friends, or to pay for real-world gifts, ranging from cups of Starbucks Corp. coffee to Swarovski AG diamond necklaces, with the click of a thumb.
    During the Christmas-shopping season, Kakao sold 400,000 cakes through Paris Baguette, a ubiquitous chain of French-style bakeries in South Korea. For Valentine's Day, Mr. Lee said, it sold a large number of $600 diamond necklaces, though he didn't disclose the exact number. In each case, Kakao took a cut of the sales.

Mr. Lee says that the company's freewheeling approach is driven by the frontier-like frenzy surrounding mobile messaging.

Kakao has to tap markets other than South Korea, with a population of 50 million, to keep growing.

The service is also all but barred from two markets that would seem a perfect fit, geographically: Japan and China. Both countries have their own entrenched messaging champions.

Kakao is now making a play for Southeast Asian markets, including Malaysia, the Philippines and Indonesia.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-wsj.jpg
    sidhuk and rarsen like this.
    02-26-14 07:47 AM
    I think his answer was more a joke than anything else

Posted via CB10
    I like his sense of humor and the fact that he has a personality, and a great one at that. He doesn't waffle straight to the point and always comes off as being very frank and honest.

This is a huge part of the PR side of things. If BlackBerry can have a leader that people like and identify with they will associate the brand with the personality.

A big part of apple's success was down to Jobs, both technically and the way he presented himself and talked.

I have to say I think chen s personality is more suited to enterprise, as consumers generally need a little more waffle. Chen is direct.

As for why he said what he did, I think he is trying to show two things.1) in his opinion Facebook shareholders got shafted as they paid way too much. This is great for potential investors looking at bbry with a similar thought about the deal. They will be thinking,this guy has got his head screwed on.

2) he is trying to show he is not an *****. If an offer came along he would entertain it. This is just good business. You should always entertain offers. There are always idiots out there willing to pay too much and besides until you sign on the dotted line it is a long process.

He is a smart guy, I like him.

If I was a fund Manger watching that it would have ticked all the right boxes.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, sidhuk, Mr BBRY and 4 others like this.
    02-26-14 07:49 AM
    An actual decent CNET article on BlackBerry. Who would have thunk it. Pay particular attention to the last line. Shows some more of Chen's wit and personality.

Posted via CB10
    Wow.
    Hard to get respect from reporters. No wonder there is a change in media sentiments all of a sudden. That alone is priceless. Chances are that press will give blackberry a chance now.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    02-26-14 07:54 AM
    Just sold a percentage of my shares and will hope for a little drop before i enter that money back in the form of options
    02-26-14 08:49 AM
    A WhathsApp That Makes Money
    The main point from the article for me is this:

Its biggest moneymaking hit, he says, is Kakao's gaming platform, which has become the mobile gatekeeper for South Korea's gaming industry.
    The key seems to be the gatekeeper role. This idea appears here as well:

Today, Apple (AAPL) and Google (GOOG) play a major gatekeeper role for apps with the App Store and Google Play store. Facebook seems to have been partly motivated to buy WhatsApp because it feared being pushed off to the side from "controlling" the mobile experience thanks to the gate-keeping positions those companies have. (Facebook Phone didn't get the company where it wanted.)

The silo app structure of mobile today also serves the incumbents. If HTML5 truly takes off in the way that Tencent and Kik want, the gate-keeping role will pass to them from Apple and Google (or in China, one of the big gate-keepers is 91Wireless owned by Baidu (BIDU)).

It's these new gatekeepers that really become your mobile browser in the new non-siloed world. They get a piece of payments, e-commerce, ad networks and search instead of PayPal, Amazon (AMZN) or Google.

The differentiation will come from getting the starting place app that everyone wants and then building lots of hooks into your other daily habit apps so you actually never have to leave your main app.
    Phone-Based Message Apps vs. Identity-Based Message Apps - TheStreet
    rarsen, cjcampbell, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    02-26-14 08:56 AM
    Does anyone here know what is the RTOS behind Samsung's new Gear 2? http://m.cnet.com/news/samsungs-gear...tizen/57619476

Posted via swift BlackBerry Z30!
    02-26-14 08:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    Chen and Legere haven't met yet. Chen isn't too worried.

"I guess after he and I connect on MySpace we'll be fine," he said.

Haha! How could anyone not like this guy?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 09:17 AM
    Time to Enter that money back into some options
    02-26-14 09:30 AM
    Hoping someone at BB is compiling this type of information, to hit the nail on the head where they have significant advantages: This of course includes both Enterprises and individuals.

Lack of consumer trust over data spells problems for the modern business - SmartPlanet
    02-26-14 09:41 AM
    Hoping someone at BB is compiling this type of information, to hit the nail on the head where they have significant advantages:

Lack of consumer trust over data spells problems for the modern business - SmartPlanet
    Issue is that it is difficult to monetise from consumer market as most people will still opt for the free product despite knowing it is lacking.

This is why I think chen has the right idea with enterprise. Enterprise cam attach a value on security and privacy and thereforep are willing to pay for it, as long as the cost is a fraction of the potential loss.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 09:45 AM
    Looks like we have some really strong money in BBRY now. Great support
    02-26-14 09:47 AM
    Not so fast.
    This POS is back at usual BS reporting about BlackBerry. No where Chen quotes names of Iphone and android but BGR makes it up.
    http://bgr.com/2014/02/26/blackberry...Genius+Report)

02-26-14 09:49 AM
    Looks like we have some really strong money in BBRY now. Great support
    Agreed, and got myself back in at 10:29 on NASDAQ

Posted via swift BlackBerry Z30!
    02-26-14 09:51 AM
    Not so fast.
    This POS is back at usual BS reporting about BlackBerry. No where Chen quotes names of Iphone and android but BGR makes it up.
    BlackBerry Vs Android, iPhone: CEO says upcoming flagship phone wins | BGR

Looks like some shorts are still stuck in lol and are stuck in a losing apple position
    bungaboy and La Emperor like this.
    02-26-14 09:53 AM
    Not so fast.
    BlackBerry Vs Android, iPhone: CEO says upcoming flagship phone wins | BGR

Yup, they are really good at getting their iPhone and Android user base riled up (Comments as usual are the circus and litmus test). They are masters at bait clicks. I have NO respect for BGR...less than zero
    02-26-14 09:57 AM
    Since blackberry is coming back with track pad, I would love to use physical buttons and track pad as mouse to use desktop monitor using wireless miracast.
    Cause I didn't have to look at the physical blackberry keyboard. That will be true desktop experience without carrying the physical keyboard and a mouse.

02-26-14 10:18 AM
    This is why I think chen has the right idea with enterprise. Enterprise cam attach a value on security and privacy and thereforep are willing to pay for it, as long as the cost is a fraction of the potential loss.
    And don't forget a minority in the consumer market who really cares about privacy. The current issue of the german magazine "Der Spiegel" has a big story about the lost dignity of the consumer who sell their private data to get cheap hardware. The discussion about privacy and dignity has just begun and some people begin to think twice, if Google / Whatsapp / Microsoft / Apple are the right choice.
    Enterprise security or consumer privacy - it's somehow technically the same, therefore I have chosen BB.
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    02-26-14 10:41 AM
    02-26-14 11:16 AM
    This is not good:
    http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/26/boe...usaolp00000591
    Would have been nice if Boeing had worked with BlackBerry instead.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen and laketrout73 like this.
    02-26-14 11:27 AM
    Android based device and secure?
    really eh?
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-26-14 11:34 AM
113,256 ... 24562457245824592460 ...