View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    You are so right, there are 3 camps when it comes to BBM, there are people like us who own BlachBerry phones and love them, we understand how great BBM really is. Then there are all the others who are trying BBM when it first came out, they own other brands of phones and they just want to communicate amongst their friends. They tried BBM when it first came out and there was that attrition rate that followed. How do you get them back? The third group are Enterprise users who are made up of all of the brands of phones with some holding BB's too. They see their limitations as something that is akin to a "gap" which will close in time to that of their follow BlackBerry phone users and they love what's coming next.

BlackBerry needs to address this group first, those who have endorsed the BBM-X product for their companies and need all of the features today because they love Groups already and have seen Channels and want that too. We say, they have almost everything now, it's not true, the features were just made available and it takes time to understand channels and voice for everyone. Delays, delays delays. These people have money, they wil pay for BBM features that retail consumers don't even want. The goal here should be to serve Enterprise first, give them what they want in security, services, communication and a way to advertise their businesses to the rest of the world. This occurs at a level that retails could care less about. I need to see Chen address this issue and focus on what Enterprise wants.

The retail side of BBM can be more about social, shopping, communication and full featured BBM at that level. Chen needs to stay focused on the money, it's in Enterprise and their formula for success. If he can build out a Corporate BBM every business in the free world will have to adopt it as their primary means of communication. You have to be on LinkedIn these days, not because you want to but because someone who wants to hire you also wants to see your profile. You are really using the social media as your means of finding a job these days. BBM could be just as important in getting your personal message out there. But business comes first for BlackBerry and Chen needs to feed the fire under Enterprise when it comes to voice, video, channels, groups and security.
    I agree in general with what you have said here, but still do think that it's hard to draw a line between enterprise success and general consumer success. The last few years have illustrated what I'm talking about there, but looking forward, I think BBM does need to be a bridge between the two (maybe not the best metaphor).

Non-enterprise success with BBM is huge as a healer of brand image as well as any possible source of direct income, and a healed brand image takes huge pressure off of the consumer sales issue, as BlackBerry devices - brand toxicity and negative sales staff = big consumer sales.

These things going on on the consumer side then have a knock on effect on enterprise because companies don't feel as hesitant to invest in a healthy BlackBerry or spend loads on phones their staff really want, not because they have to have them but because they are also pretty damn cool phones.

It's absolutely true that enterprise is the most important thing for BlackBerry, but in my view that doesn't mean it's the thing that needs the most attention. Great enterprise contracts do nothing to sell consumer phones, or get teens to use BBM. On the other hand, huge BBM user numbers, and huge consumer sales have the potential to make signing enterprise contracts a hell of a lot easier.

It's a tricky one and one that needs a balanced approach, but I definitely agree that enterprise is A huge priority, even if it shouldn't be seen as THE huge priority alone.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    02-25-14 01:05 PM
    With the Crackberry app, how can you jump to the last page? Scroll trough 3000 replies?

Posted via CB10
    There are golden nuggets hidden within those pages.
    sidhuk, W Hoa and Shanerredflag like this.
    02-25-14 01:05 PM
    My Honeywell thermostat runs on QNX and I can view/control it using my Z10 from anywhere in the world - it's kinda cool.
    Is that the one in your Nuke Power Generator?
    sidhuk and plasmid_boy like this.
    02-25-14 01:08 PM
    Hi Morgan. With all the articles on a possible BBM sale.. you reckon JC was testing the waters for a possible BBM stand-alone entity?

(post edited)

Posted via CB10
    Hi _dimi_ !!

Love your posts! I don't care if they sell a part of BBM, take it public so to speak, as long as the business model makes sense. Say they see a cash cow in going public and have a five year plan to issue more shares and fill the coffers for other ventures. I'm okay with a structure that feeds growth in hardware, software and M2M projects etc.. I would be happy if they considered spinning off QNX, only if it makes sense though. I'm okay with them selling most of their real estate, how much do they really need at this time and how much of that downtown Waterloo land and buildings translates into BlackBerry must have real estate? You could go one step further and say that their patent portfolio is something that could be managed far more effectively via a spin-off that enforces patent law.I don't care what they take to market here as long as they have a sound plan for controlling the asset and growing the value of that asset. Wouldn't it be ironic if the media still hated BlackBerry hardware while their spin-offs are making the company billions? You might say, "who would ever own a BlackBerry phone when you can hack any iPhone or Android today ... and get everything for free". Meanwhile, BBM is making a killing, their patents are pulling in royalties and their real estate sales made them $ 2 B bucks. It has been mentioned on this board so I won't take the credit here, that BlackBerry is one phone product/handset away from been the biggest baddest supplier of mobile communications. I paraphrased that of course but it is true, they only need to polish off their OS and stick it in a phone shell that is a killer device for M2M and all others things in life. We need to be patient here and make sure that those precious few assets that we do have are marketed right. This holds true with BBM, take it public only if it makes sense to separate it from BB. Do this only if we [B]need [/B ]to do this now and do it in a way that we never give it up entirely. Chen has so much on his plate the possibilities are endless. I hate it when we keep hearing that BB will never amount to anything more than a niche operation, that is so far from the truth. They could regain the number one spot in the world in 5 - 10 years. They are number 2 in Canada and not that far behind Apple today.
    Corbu, jxnb, bungaboy and 13 others like this.
    02-25-14 01:09 PM
    Ahh that makes sense. Lol maybe a new thread should be made

? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    02-25-14 01:09 PM
    [QUOTE=morganplus8;10052127]You are so right, there are 3 camps when it comes to BBM, there are people like us who own BlachBerry phones and love them, we understand how great BBM really is. Then there are all the others who are trying BBM when it first came out, they own other brands of phones and they just want to communicate amongst their friends. They tried BBM when it first came out and there was that attrition rate that followed. How do you get them back? The third group are Enterprise users who are made up of all of the brands of phones with some holding BB's too. They see their limitations as something that is akin to a "gap" which will close in time to that of their follow BlackBerry phone users and they love what's coming next.

I think BB is missing the point on the consumer side on how to add people easily and ease of us. The reason WhatsApp did well is that it just worked and added all contacts on your list. That is how it exploded to 450 mil users. I know some of us say that BBM is private and stuff but why not leave that choice to consumers on BBM. Add that option to BBM if anyone wants to scan the contacts and add all contacts in BBM let them do that. YOu rather give people choice then dictate what you think is right.
    I Know lots of people tried BBM when it came out iOS devices but they gave up after few days as it was hard to use, hard to share and had to beg friends to add them.
    02-25-14 01:10 PM
    Those of us who have been with BlackBerry a long time can remember the time line with voice then video on the original BBOS phones. It feels like BBM-X is following a similar marching order. Initiate voice. Make it stellar. Then send out the video also rock solid. I think BlackBerry believes if they can get this out to now the other 3 platforms, and it's stellar, they will have the home run they need.

Interesting comments from Chen today regarding Heins and his capitulation to the carriers about BIS and not having the renue to make up for it. (from a BGR article "New CEO Chen lists all the ways his predecessors screwed up BlackBerry") "When it comes to more specific criticisms, Chen slammed Heins’ decision to cave in on carriers’ demands to slash service-access fees without having a credible plan to replace the revenue they generated. The result of this decision was that BlackBerry’s carrier revenue streams completely cratered at the same time its smartphone sales were falling apart at the seams, a massive double whammy that left the company with earnings that failed to meet already-low consensus estimates." This guy pulls no punches - you have to respect that and you wonder if they had gone to him instead of Heins where the company would be today (not second guessing - I said on CrackBerry at the time I thought promoting Heins from within the company was a mistake and they needed to look outside).

Finally saw an interesting segment on Bloomberg West today regarding Messaging on mobile and they were comparing What's App to Voxer. Chris U must have been happy to see that. I agree with him a PTT feature on BBM would be killer.
    02-25-14 01:12 PM
    jake simmons3[/B];10052008]Hey M-8,

What do you think the next catalyst will be here. Next earnings is the only thing i see in the near future.
    There is no doubt in my mind that earnings are going to be a huge play for BB in the near future. It is Q4, the end of the Fiscal year, and a quarter where he has played a whole term role. He will be ready to make the speach that lasts for all of fiscal 2015. We know that the market discounts a company's future prospects by 6-months, so if Chen can tell us that we are cashflow positive in 2015, EPS breakeven during the latter 6 months too, the stock is at $ 14.00/shr. No one expects the sales numbers to be good, the media will jump all over that. But no one expects Enterprise numbers to flatten out either, and for cash to stop the burn. I see us having an explosive rally at some point this year. We just need to stop the bleeding and tell an interesting story about how Enterprise wants us back again. I also think that he has a couple of phones in mind that will win back followers. A big screen Q and a loaded Z with a lot of PC inter-connectivity comes to mind and he can't be that far off PC desktop integration here. I can't wait to hear what he has to say this time around. For me, I will be buying more shares if they announce a decent closing date for CORE.
    02-25-14 01:18 PM
    [QUOTE=BBNation;10052226]
    You are so right, there are 3 camps when it comes to BBM, there are people like us who own BlachBerry phones and love them, we understand how great BBM really is. Then there are all the others who are trying BBM when it first came out, they own other brands of phones and they just want to communicate amongst their friends. They tried BBM when it first came out and there was that attrition rate that followed. How do you get them back? The third group are Enterprise users who are made up of all of the brands of phones with some holding BB's too. They see their limitations as something that is akin to a "gap" which will close in time to that of their follow BlackBerry phone users and they love what's coming next.

I think BB is missing the point on the consumer side on how to add people easily and ease of us. The reason WhatsApp did well is that it just worked and added all contacts on your list. That is how it exploded to 450 mil users. I know some of us say that BBM is private and stuff but why not leave that choice to consumers on BBM. Add that option to BBM if anyone wants to scan the contacts and add all contacts in BBM let them do that. YOu rather give people choice then dictate what you think is right.
    I Know lots of people tried BBM when it came out iOS devices but they gave up after few days as it was hard to use, hard to share and had to beg friends to add them.
    Imo because that betrays the secure philosophy of the organization.

Great companies: know what their values are, communicate these concisely and clearly, and everything they do is done with them in mind.

BlackBerry is becoming much more focused and striving to become a great organization.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 01:19 PM
    [QUOTE=dusdal;10052261]

Imo because that betrays the secure philosophy of the organization.

Great companies: know what their values are, communicate these concisely and clearly, and everything they do is done with them in mind.

BlackBerry is becoming much more focused and striving to become a great organization.

Posted via CB10
    Agree but BB can not expect to come close to WhatsApp, have millions of BBM users and attempt to make it in top 3 messaging platform if the values are no longer attracting anyone. That is what happened to hardware. It is still the best hardware, best OS and phone but most people just do not care but to go with cheap, less secure, easy of use and the cool factor.
    My point is BB wasted 3 years in trying to be something which it was not and could not compete. DO not do that with messaging service. Make it more consumer friendly for consumers and bundle value added services for enterprises.
    02-25-14 01:35 PM
    [QUOTE=BBNation;10052338]

Agree but BB can not expect to come close to WhatsApp, have millions of BBM users and attempt to make it in top 3 messaging platform if the values are no longer attracting anyone. That is what happened to hardware. It is still the best hardware, best OS and phone but most people just do not care but to go with cheap, less secure, easy of use and the cool factor.
    My point is BB wasted 3 years in trying to be something which it was not and could not compete. DO not do that with messaging service. Make it more consumer friendly for consumers and bundle value added services for enterprises.
    Is it really still about that? I think the focus on BBM for consumers is going to fade and really the main competition for BBM going forward is going to be Lync and em.. that IBM thing. It would be weird otherwise for Chen to saying they are refocusing on enterprise, move BBM into Enterprise group and then spend lots of time on Consumer.

As for the actual "I'd sell BBM", I was talking with a friend earlier who was that and he said that has been taken out of context and it was a half-joking line about "sure I'd sell it for $19 billion!!!"
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-25-14 01:39 PM
    [QUOTE=cgk;10052353]

Is it really still about that? I think the focus on BBM for consumers is going to fade and really the main competition for BBM going forward is going to be Lync and em.. that IBM thing. It would be weird otherwise for Chen to saying they are refocusing on enterprise, move BBM into Enterprise group and then spend lots of time on Consumer.

As for the actual "I'd sell BBM", I was talking with a friend earlier who was that and he said that has been taken out of context and it was a half-joking line about "sure I'd sell it for $19 billion!!!"
    I know he was joking but the media took it as Chen is open to sell BBM for billions. Common sense, any CEO would sell for 4 times larger than the entire company. Hope the SP did not move on that alone today. I think it's mostly short covering. Shorts will short within few days.
    sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    02-25-14 01:55 PM
    [QUOTE=cgk;10052353]

I would even add that I don't even like the BBM experience anymore. With the added features BBM now seems very cluttered. There is value to having an app/software be as simple as possible. Look at how Whatsapp was able to reach 450M by having less features than all their competitors.

Facebook understands this. That's why they bought Whatsapp & Instagram. If you think about it both Instagram & Whatsapp had features that Facebook could have and even did replicate. But they didn't catch on because they were hidden inside menus and we're meant for another type of experience.

BBM is just trying to be everything for everyone. Channels/Messaging/Enterprise/Groups/Stickers, etc. In this day and age its easy to add features but it's harder to decide what to leave out.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    02-25-14 01:56 PM
    [QUOTE=koolrosh;10052450]

I would even add that I don't even like the BBM experience anymore. With the added features BBM now seems very cluttered. There is value to having an app/software be as simple as possible. Look at how Whatsapp was able to reach 450M by having less features than all their competitors.

Facebook understands this. That's why they bought Whatsapp & Instagram. If you think about it both Instagram & Whatsapp had features that Facebook could have and even did replicate. But they didn't catch on because they were hidden inside menus and we're meant for another type of experience.

BBM is just trying to be everything for everyone. Channels/Messaging/Enterprise/Groups/Stickers, etc. In this day and age its easy to add features but it's harder to decide what to leave out.

I love additional features. Sure, they can work and improve the UI to make it less cluttered.

One thing that BlackBerry doesn't seem to realize is that “SPEED” is a feature. BBM App is laggy on iPhone 4s and lot of Android devices. I am guessing this is because BlackBerry created a completely UI (to give it same look and feel as native BBM). This means, they are not utilizing UI elements that are ALREADY loaded in the memory of host OS. Custom UI means having to load more UI elements in the memory. This contributes to consumption of more resources and makes the the app overall laggy.

Also, I really want them to FIX to big issues (most of my friends CONTINUE to use WhatsApp because of these two issues, and are not 100% on BBM yet).
    - 1. BBM on iOS and Android often has DELAYED message deliveries. It’s not instant. Sure, there are probably technical challenges but BB needs to figure it out and fix it.

-2. BBM Group Chats/Multi-person chats do NOT allow sharing of photos, videos from within the chat window. You’ve to first EXIT group chat, go to GROUP PHOTO ALBUM, and upload PICTURE there. Then Go back to GROUP-CHAT and tell your friends “hey, just uploaded a picture, check it out”. Whereas in WHATSAPP, you can upload picture right from chat window and even a small thumbnail appears in chat window inline. So convenient!
    (when you make a feature as complicated as photo sharing BBM Group Chats, it’s as good as not having this feature).

These are top 2 things that have prevented my friends from using BBM as their primary messaging app. They use BBM (I usually respond on BBM even if when someone messages me on WhatsApp or text-message) but they are not willing to ditch WhatsApp or use BBM as their primary messaging app because it's just too cumbersome to share media with groups from within chat window. Delayed message delivery is another big irksome but delayed message delivery is not something that happens everyday, but it happens routinely enough.
    Last edited by chrysaurora; 02-25-14 at 03:00 PM.
    Korepab and sailpgd like this.
    02-25-14 02:09 PM
    [QUOTE=koolrosh;10052450]

Great point - there was a good article about WhatsApp that had a picture in their main office which said "NO ADS NO GAMES" - the focus was on core experience.
    02-25-14 02:11 PM
    02-25-14 02:26 PM
    Morgan, thank you for the reply.

Regarding to BBM-X voice and video, I think the company is in the Catch 22 situation. They already has the video feature in the available to the enterprise version of BBM, it is not much difficult to make it available in the BBM-X version. However, they are just wondering whether such move will be good for the company's bottom line. Chen is trying figure out a way to monetize the BBM-X but has no solution yet.
    They have BBM video in iOS/Android running through BES? Just asking for confirmation. Thanks!
    02-25-14 02:30 PM
    [QUOTE=BBNation;10052338]

I don't think the auto-adding of contacts fits anywhere in the BlackBerry philosophy.

Though I understand your concern about viral growth. Recently they have enabled recommendations on bbm from the invite tab. They also added easy pin sharing to social networks.

These are all attempts to make it easier without betraying the right of the Bbm user to choose who they are connected to.

I deleted Whatsapp when people that I didn't want to be connected to started messaging me. I think this is a common value of the targeted BlackBerry users. Allow us to decide with our information and communications.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 02:53 PM
    Morgan, I love that you hold the view that BlackBerry CAN be on top again in years to come. I have never understood why people assume that it's Apple and Android FOREVER.

On a side note, the Galaxy S5 looks boring as hell - thank goodness!!

02-25-14 03:08 PM
    My Honeywell thermostat runs on QNX and I can view/control it using my Z10 from anywhere in the world - it's kinda cool.
    Yes, I too have Honeywell programmable tstats ....but no one seems to make net connected types for baseboard electric heating systems...just furnace and ac type systems.

Flicked out via Zed10
    02-25-14 03:16 PM
    Morgan, I love that you hold the view that BlackBerry CAN be on top again in years to come. I have never understood why people assume that it's Apple and Android FOREVER.

On a side note, the Galaxy S5 looks boring as hell - thank goodness!!

It looks like BlackBerry has started listening to end-users (they still have way to go, but they have started), instead of dictating to end-users.

They are also working on credibility-gap (roll out of 10.2.1 was far smoother, roll out of BBM 2.0 was far smoother than original BBM X that failed and had to be relaunched).

They are also no longer taking abuses and are actually responding (eg: John Chen responded to T-Mobile).

They also have top notch (engineering) talent (I used to work for RIM/BB R&D at Waterloo 6 years ago and I was amazed by the sheer number of talented/leet people I had as peers).

So, if they continue this path, no reason they can't be on top. They WILL be on top as soon as they make significant progress on these areas. Progress has started, and more needs to be made.
    02-25-14 03:17 PM
    Of course not, at some stage they will be replaced, I just don't see it being an existing also-ran (notice I'm only talking about BBRY's mobile hardware and consumer markets - I've have other views on enterprise which are different) based on the fact that nobody in mobile has managed to come back once they go down and given the reality of a zero share or near zero share of their new OS a year after launch.
    02-25-14 03:27 PM
    Of course not, at some stage they will be replaced, I just don't see it being an existing also-ran (notice I'm only talking about BBRY's mobile hardware and consumer markets - I've have other views on enterprise which are different) based on the fact that nobody in mobile has managed to come back once they go down and given the reality of a zero share or near zero share of their new OS a year after launch.
    Just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it can't be done. This is such a young industry, there's still lots of time for many firsts.
    bungaboy, sidhuk and morganplus8 like this.
    02-25-14 03:50 PM
    Just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it can't be done. This is such a young industry, there's still lots of time for many firsts.
    That's debatable, we are already seeing the sort of commodification we see in mature markets - even then, the structure of the market is (to me) now more important than the players, and it's a structure that requires the sort of financial resources that BBRY don't have.
    02-25-14 03:54 PM
    Whoah

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 03:55 PM
113,250 ... 24542455245624572458 ...