Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Now Osx too.
    http://m.techradar.com/news/computin...c=rss&attr=all

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    Sorry to be OT:
    Actually I was convinced that OSX was robust enough to... never mind #mind blown let's buy windows 8.1. But the big question is will this affect Mac sales?

WhatsApp is down at the moment. And Telegram (the Russian version of WhatsApp) gets a 100 new users per second. At least that's what is in the Dutch media. That's a missed opportunity for BBM.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 03:27 PM
    Here you go guys. I haven't got a Twitter account, but go ahead and spread this one around while it's fresh.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-whatsapp-down-spy-update.jpg

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    02-22-14 04:02 PM
    That's big news
    It's also nice to read a sentence where BlackBerry and 'struggling' appear but it is not used to describe BlackBerry

Ford Motor Co. (F), struggling with in-car technology glitches, will base the next-generation Sync system on BlackBerry Ltd. (BBRY)�s QNX and no longer use Microsoft (MSFT) Corp.�s Windows, according to people briefed on the matter.
    02-22-14 04:23 PM
    Now if GM gets their heads out of their azzes and used QNX, all three domestic name plates would be BlackBerry
    Well, from here, QNX website, comes this:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-gm.jpg
    bungaboy, rarsen, dusdal and 4 others like this.
    02-22-14 04:35 PM
    WhatsApp's mega-money signals rush toward a subscriber economy

Though there are many good explanations of the importance of the gigantic WhatsApp deal � from the shift toward mobile to the importance of the phone as the home of messaging � I would argue its emphasis on the subscription model is actually the signal for where tech and mobile are heading.
    WhatsApp's mega-money signals rush toward a subscriber economy - The Globe and Mail
    bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    02-22-14 05:14 PM
    A nice win for BB.

Ford Said to Swap BlackBerry�s QNX for Microsoft in Sync System

Ford Motor Co. (F), struggling with in-car technology glitches, will base the next-generation Sync system on BlackBerry Ltd. (BBRY)�s QNX and no longer use Microsoft (MSFT) Corp.�s Windows, according to people briefed on the matter.

Using QNX will be less expensive than licensing Microsoft technology and will improve the flexibility and speed of the next Sync system, said the people, who declined to be identified because the decision hasn�t been made public. Ford has more than 7 million vehicles on the road with Sync using Microsoft voice-activated software to make mobile phone calls and play music.......

Ford Said to Swap BlackBerry’s QNX for Microsoft in Sync System - Bloomberg
    Looks like more bad news for to little too late Microsoft who is late to both car and smartphone party. It's hard for some employees here to handle but it is the truth. I have yet to see one single WP user

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 05:51 PM
    02-22-14 06:02 PM
    What's crap is a joke. They have to many issues which is why I dropped them a long time ago. Now that Facebook owns them is even more reason to ditch what's crap.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 06:12 PM
    Yup, OnStar has used QNX forever...Windows OS absolutely sucks as we discovered last year in a rental while on holiday in California.
    Time will show this move was the best thing for Ford and us

Z30 - Das Phone.
    02-22-14 06:57 PM
    This is really great news. Not from a revenue perspective of course, but from a credibility perspective.

Bbm is gradually gaining credibility and, as silly as it seems, bbm storefront with stickers is helping with a tangible path to bbm producing revenues and the store itself allowing us to consider what else can fit in there?

QNX automotive is looking to increase position against its strongest competitor in the space.

BES10 remains a bit of a question mark for me at this point. We don't really know how well its doing at this point. We saw some announcements but really are left with relative speculation. Though technically it sounds to be the superior solution for high security applications?

The end game for this has to be connecting all of these things onto the NOC. Being the medium that connects these things makes the NOC itself "the Internet of things" and QNX embedded means BlackBerry might even be a few of those "things" as well. Which is just gravy.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 07:12 PM
    I'm hopeful QNX becomes a turbo charged Java in the "Internet of things"...goodness knows Java is so slow, plus drags your computer into a sluggish mess. What's Oracle worth again???

Z30 - Das Phone.
    bungaboy, rarsen, W Hoa and 1 others like this.
    02-22-14 08:12 PM
    OT but...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-facebook-20140222-195202.png

Z30 - Das Phone.
    Corbu, W Hoa, ibpluto and 3 others like this.
    02-22-14 08:53 PM
    How is this not good for revs, is ford getting to use qnx for free?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 09:33 PM
    Here you go guys. I haven't got a Twitter account, but go ahead and spread this one around while it's fresh.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp is down for spy update.jpg 
Views:	988 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	250188

a lot of users jumped ship to Telegram which crashed as well...time for BB to get a message to Whatsapp users....
    02-22-14 10:18 PM
    How is this not good for revs, is ford getting to use qnx for free?

Posted via CB10
    By that I mean the revs, in the scheme of things, are quite insignificant.

Though maybe I'm wrong on that. I hope I am.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 10:43 PM
    Everybody up early in the AM. Canadian boys make us proud again like last time!

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    02-22-14 11:47 PM
    Well im not sure how qnx structures there licensing fees. It could be royalties for every car ford sells or just a one time fee or year or what. I do think it should be pretty significant to the qnx revs maybe not BlackBerry in total revs

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-23-14 12:03 AM
    Okay, so these folks from ABI research forecast 34.2 million infotainment units will be shipped by 2018.

http://www.ratchetandwrench.com/Ratc...ipped-by-2018/

According to this article with QNX in 2011 they shipped 9 million units which represented over 60% of all units that year.

If they can maintain 60% share then, ceteris paribus, they could ship 20.5 million units.

This is where it breaks down though. Does anyone have a benchmark for QNX revenue for vehicle infotainment systems that we can work off?

This suggests that Ford holds ~ 15 % share http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/pag...autosales.html so that 'could' mean 3.4 million additional units.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 02:03 AM
    *sigh* when's hockey start?

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-23-14 02:04 AM
    should we buy you think cuz of qnx?
    02-23-14 02:46 AM
    I'm hopeful QNX becomes a turbo charged Java in the "Internet of things"...goodness knows Java is so slow, plus drags your computer into a sluggish mess. What's Oracle worth again???
    QNX is an operating system. Java is a programming language. The two are not comparable. You can run Java on an operating system, like Linux or QNX.

The reason Java is inefficient is due to its cross platform capability. You could write one program in Java and it will function on both a Mac or a Windows machine. Hence, why Java is in everything. If you write a C program for QNX, however, it likely won't be able to be used anywhere else.

Also, Oracle's primary product happens to be Oracle database. I'm not completely clear how Oracle makes money off of Java.
    02-23-14 02:55 AM
    I'll be posting a few more today and/or tomorrow in our bootleg marketing channel, but here's one we can also spread around for all the WhatsCrap folks worried about Facebook.

Here's to a Canadian victory on the ice today, and another Canadian victory in 2014...

GO BB, and GO TEAM CANADA!!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-privacy-matters-blue.jpg

02-23-14 03:44 AM

Gotta wonder where it went wrong..

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 05:02 AM
    Interesting nugget about the competition - the next version of the Samsung Gear watches use Tizen rather than android.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-23-14 05:12 AM

Gotta wonder where it went wrong..

Posted via CB10
    Classic innovator's dilemma - they had a really successful business model that perfectly meet customer's needs - that tied to a creeping paralysis in the internal organisational structures and process and the rest is history...

The killer bit in that video is about 3:06 - the question and response.
    02-23-14 05:14 AM
113,256 ... 24422443244424452446 ...