View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Knowing what we know now.. how could the Air Force justify this decision to migrate to iPhones?! Wouldn't there be a security hole in an MDM environment too?

JC, grab the opportunity and do another write-up on BlackBerry's biz blog. It would create momentum before next week's MWC.

Posted via CB10
    I think we have to keep in mind that the US military isn't worried as much about the NSA spying as foreign governments are. Still, this is sure to be a decent bit of sales weaponry for the BlackBerry salespeople trying to renew or gain new contracts.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    rarsen, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    02-22-14 04:56 AM
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I think MWC will demonstrate the new BBRY direction.

BBRY rhetoric in the media has reached a critical mass and those who've been calling for its burial need bigger and bigger failures to keep beating that dead horse.

The pricing of the Z3 will play an important role in how this plays out. Their new partnership with Foxconn allows for lower pricing and lower risk on larger production volumes of phones. So while it seems like they're pulling an Apple by partnering with Foxconn, they're setting themselves up to be more like Samsung. The low cost phone isn't just about selling into developing nations, it's about the commoditization of the BB10 platform.

BBRY is uniquely positioned out of all the major tech vendors to take advantage of every aspect of the modern platform. And the Z3 will be their weapon of choice.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 06:18 AM
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-...012356698.html

Apple security flaw could allow hackers to beat encryption

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    02-22-14 07:10 AM
    I guess I'm late to the party

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 07:12 AM
    FYI :
    Upcoming Samsung Knox MAM updates to challenge BlackBerry

While Samsung declined to comment on its plans, mobile experts say the time is right for updates to Knox as Samsung attempts to wrestle enterprise market share away from competitors -- particularly, BlackBerry.
    Samsung must first prove Knox is a worthwhile investment for enterprises that worry about security on Google Inc.'s Android-based devices, according to Jack Gold, principal and founder of J. Gold Associates in Northborough, Mass.

The cost for Knox ($3.60 per month per device) and the need to connect it to an existing MDM provider are among the problems Gold sees. That's contrasted against BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES), which is much simpler to implement, he said.

"You buy BES, you set it up, you have your black box and you're done," Gold said. "I give [Samsung] high marks for what they want to do, but low marks for deployment and simplicity."
    Another issue is that Knox is only supported on a limited number of devices, Gold said. Support for more devices, beyond just Samsung, could be one avenue for the company, like BlackBerry does with BES.
    http://searchconsumerization.techtar...nge-BlackBerry

Not yet... but let's keep a wide open eye on this beast...
    Cheers from Saint Jean de Luz...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140222_142204.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-22-14 at 11:31 AM.
    rarsen, morganplus8, Corbu and 7 others like this.
    02-22-14 07:22 AM

The pricing of the Z3 will play an important role in how this plays out. Their new partnership with Foxconn allows for lower pricing and lower risk on larger production volumes of phones. So while it seems like they're pulling an Apple by partnering with Foxconn, they're setting themselves up to be more like Samsung. The low cost phone isn't just about selling into developing nations, it's about the commoditization of the BB10 platform.
    Not really - Samsung own the means of product and operate on an entirely different scale - the samsung model partly works simply because of the economics of scale and the massive advantage given by the GDP type numbers they throw at M&A.

BBRY is uniquely positioned out of all the major tech vendors to take advantage of every aspect of the modern platform. And the Z3 will be their weapon of choice.

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand what this actually says? Could you clarify what you mean?
    02-22-14 07:45 AM
    Not to beat a dead horse but this WA deal still irks me... for BBRY letting itself be pushed aside without giving up much of a fight!

Icing on the cake and mother of all contradictions...

This is why Koum and Acton have wanted WhatsApp on all mobile platforms, including BlackBerry. According to the New York Times report, Koum and Acton are still BlackBerry users, for which “they both still use for texting.”

Privacy and security has also been a staple-point for the WhatsApp founders, another possible reason for still liking BlackBerry smartphones.

“For us, everything is built around us knowing as little as possible about the user and what they do on our network,” Koum said at the Munich conference.

“I grew up in a country [former Soviet Union] where I remember my parents not being able to have a conversation on the phone,” Koum explained. “The walls had ears and you couldn’t speak freely.”
    BlackBerry Smartphones Still Used by WhatsApp Founders | N4BB
    02-22-14 09:17 AM
    Now Osx too.
    http://m.techradar.com/news/computin...c=rss&attr=all

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    02-22-14 09:46 AM
    I guess I'm late to the party

Posted via CB10
    It's never too late to party!
    sidhuk, plasmid_boy, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    02-22-14 10:02 AM
    I still don't understand why the air force made that move.

Generally what I have found in life is, when things don't make sense, it is political.

Hopefully they get burnt really badly and end up having to drop it. That would be just about the best possible outcome for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    It could turn into this . . .

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-25air-farce-book-biography-royal-canadian-air-farce-comedy-team_7183054.jpg
    sidhuk, plasmid_boy, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    02-22-14 10:05 AM
    Not really - Samsung own the means of product and operate on an entirely different scale - the samsung model partly works simply because of the economics of scale and the massive advantage given by the GDP type numbers they throw at M&A.

I don't understand what this actually says? Could you clarify what you mean?
    By leveraging Foxconn's economy of scale without Samsung's clouded business model of making pretty much everything, and by remaining lean, BBRY should be able to sidestep the recent trend Samsung has developed in declining profits, despite the insane number of phones they sell.

As for the leveraging of the modern platform, Samsung does not own their own fully realized platform. Tizen is still largely vapourware and may never be possible to fully commoditize without billions of dollars being invested in a platform that has seen no early adopters.

Apple doesn't understand security and their business model is 100% against the commoditization of their platform. They want their product to be ubiquitous among the elite and always sold at a premium.

BBRY has a platform they intend to commoditize. They have the cross platform communications and mobile device management capabilities companies like Apple and Samsung are currently lacking. They have a number of important patents in mobile device design that rely on advancements in antenna technology instead of rounded corners and rubber band effects.

They're also Canadian, which goes a long way in dealing with a global audience that no longer trusts American technology.

The iPhone may have popularized the smartphone, but BB10 as a platform will make it ubiquitous. Android made an early attempt at this, but due to security failings it will never live up to the hype. BB10 is the only platform with a clear shot at developing that level of consumer trust in the technology. Everything else is just hype.
    02-22-14 10:24 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=908327

Idea of selling discounted BlackBerry 10 from BlackBerry directly, please post a comment in there if you like the idea and support.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    02-22-14 10:53 AM
    A nice win for BB.

Ford Said to Swap BlackBerry’s QNX for Microsoft in Sync System

Ford Motor Co. (F), struggling with in-car technology glitches, will base the next-generation Sync system on BlackBerry Ltd. (BBRY)’s QNX and no longer use Microsoft (MSFT) Corp.’s Windows, according to people briefed on the matter.

Using QNX will be less expensive than licensing Microsoft technology and will improve the flexibility and speed of the next Sync system, said the people, who declined to be identified because the decision hasn’t been made public. Ford has more than 7 million vehicles on the road with Sync using Microsoft voice-activated software to make mobile phone calls and play music.......

Ford Said to Swap BlackBerry’s QNX for Microsoft in Sync System - Bloomberg
    02-22-14 11:42 AM
    That's big news

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    02-22-14 12:05 PM
    Big news. But they should fix the title of the article.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, Korepab, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    02-22-14 12:13 PM
    I know it's misleading. Hopefully the author will realize it soon enough.
    02-22-14 12:18 PM
    My mom had to buy a new laptop the other day. Macbooks (which I prefer) are on the expensive side and she really only needs it for e-mail, Internet, Word & Excel.

It seems none of the laptops at Mediamarkt (big European retailer) were running Windows 2007. They all had the latest and "greatest" Windows 8. Or Windows 8.1, I can't remember..

So to come to my point.. it's complete sh*t. Maybe the laptop specs just aren't what they should be to handle the OS.

But even then. It's still a half-baked product.. It's slow (probably the laptop), full of noise (junk like adds,...) and not intuitive at all. I wonder what they were thinking.

So I dediced to download Ubuntu today. I've used it before and it does the job like Windows once did. If only BlackBerry could proof themselves to be a serious candidate.. I don't think it would require that much persuasion to regain the 3rd spot in the next mobile landscape.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    02-22-14 12:38 PM
    Exactly, I tried 8.1 in the store, it is completely annoying to use. I wish a desktop laptop powered by BlackBerry 10 OS.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, Shanerredflag and rarsen like this.
    02-22-14 01:26 PM
    From Detroit News re: Ford going to use QNX.

Ford seen ditching Microsoft for Blackberry in future cars

Ford Motor Co. plans to ditch Microsoft Corp. for Blackberry Ltd. for future upgrades to its Sync voice-activated system, according to a source with knowledge of the plans.

The Dearborn automaker has been plagued with software problems on Sync and its MyFord Touch infotainment system that have stained the company’s vehicle quality ratings and could make the switch from Microsoft to Blackberry and its QNX operating system this year or next. QNX, acquired by Blackberry in 2010, has quickly begun replacing the Windows operating system as a popular choice for automobiles.

Ford has built more than 10 million vehicles worldwide that are equipped with Sync. The automaker could easily update the software of those vehicles already equipped with Sync to the Blackberry software, said the person......

From The Detroit News: Ford seen ditching Microsoft for Blackberry in future cars | The Detroit News
    02-22-14 01:40 PM
    Very good news if true - what does it work out in revenue terms?
    02-22-14 01:42 PM
    My mom had to buy a new laptop the other day. Macbooks (which I prefer) are on the expensive side and she really only needs it for e-mail, Internet, Word & Excel.

It seems none of the laptops at Mediamarkt (big European retailer) were running Windows 2007. They all had the latest and "greatest" Windows 8. Or Windows 8.1, I can't remember..

So to come to my point.. it's complete sh*t. Maybe the laptop specs just aren't what they should be to handle the OS.

But even then. It's still a half-baked product.. It's slow (probably the laptop), full of noise (junk like adds,...) and not intuitive at all. I wonder what they were thinking.

So I dediced to download Ubuntu today. I've used it before and it does the job like Windows once did. If only BlackBerry could proof themselves to be a serious candidate.. I don't think it would require that much persuasion to regain the 3rd spot in the next mobile landscape.

Posted via CB10
    I have 8.1 on a desktop I built, with a SSD harddrive it's very fast and smooth, metro apps are worthless but since i boot directly to desktop and stay there it doesn't bother me.
    _dimi_ likes this.
    02-22-14 01:47 PM
    Big news. But they should fix the title of the article.

Posted via CB10
    I like CB's title better.

Future Ford Sync units to be powered by BlackBerry's QNX, not Microsoft | CrackBerry.com
    sidhuk, Superfly_FR and rarsen like this.
    02-22-14 02:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree. At the very least I dual boot into Win 7 on my PCs and MacBook Pro. And on the Windows 8 I run a "Classic Shell" that makes it look and feel like Windows 7.
    02-22-14 02:23 PM
    Now if GM gets their heads out of their azzes and used QNX, all three domestic name plates would be BlackBerry

CB10'n it via da Z
    02-22-14 02:55 PM
    Now if GM gets their heads out of their azzes and used QNX, all three domestic name plates would be BlackBerry

CB10'n it via da Z
    During my recent travel, I rented a Ford (2014 model). Couldn't pair my phone because sync was dead. The touchscreen didn't display properly and didn't response to touch. I was thinking 'they should have gone with QNX'. LOL

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, sidhuk and rarsen like this.
    02-22-14 03:07 PM
113,256 ... 24412442244324442445 ...