View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I believe that both real-estate and workforce won't make that much of a difference. I was expecting their marketing costs to go down last quarter.. not sure if it did though.

Posted via CB10
    I thought the same thing, while marketing costs dropped it wasn't be nearly enough. In fact they could have financed CORE with the reductions in marketing costs for that quarter alone ($ 750 MM down to half that). There is still plenty of time to save some money but they are too slow for me. Thanks
    rarsen, bungaboy and _dimi_ like this.
    02-19-14 11:06 AM
    http://http://seekingalpha.com/artic...r-to-john-chen

I'm curious to know what everyone here thinks of this. I've always been a fan of Kurt's articles, but mainly because I agree with his sentiment. He should join this forum.
    3_M4N likes this.
    02-19-14 11:25 AM
    02-19-14 11:26 AM
    02-19-14 11:36 AM
    Really this is pretty common.

I do not subscribe to a conspiracy. Yesterday was the aberration, today it is making a correction for that.
    I'm not putting my penny on either side of that question, but I would say that I think it's equally fallacious to believe that the markets, or any aspect of life that involves people, are transparent and without cheating or corruption. I think both sides of the conspiracy theory question usually go to far.

In my view, based on life experience, if there is opportunity and incentive, and a reasonable chance of getting away with it, people will be cheating, no matter the field, no matter the discipline, no matter what. We can't expect a financial system without cheating and manipulation (or conspiracies) any more than we can expect an Olympics or Tour de France without drugs, or an office without gossip. It's a part of life.

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB likes this.
    02-19-14 11:49 AM
    A great letter. Was just about to post it as well.

Thanks.
    02-19-14 11:59 AM
    A lot of buzz yesterday and today. I bought some shares this morning (should have bought yesterday), and for once my broker did not second guess me. Just got a link to this from seekingalpha.com:

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) news: An Open Letter To John Chen - Seeking Alpha
    Randeman likes this.
    02-19-14 12:17 PM
    I believe this letter spoke for most of us.
    rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    02-19-14 12:42 PM
    Canada advanced to the gold medal game against the US (hockey)... sorry for the OT.

Z30 - Das Phone.
    02-19-14 01:32 PM
    Canada advanced to the gold medal game against the US (hockey)... sorry for the OT.

Z30 - Das Phone.
    Canada advanced to the semi finals against the US, the winner plays in the gold medal game against the winner of Sweden and Finland.
    Kid Vibe likes this.
    02-19-14 01:48 PM
    I don't know the terms of that deal, but with the risk being pushed to Foxcomm, I have to think BBRY isn't going to see a lot of revenue from this deal. It does a lot of good things for them on the expense and risk sides, but revenue isn't going to be significant. I think the jakarta hand sets and BBM users it may generate are going to be almost impossible to monetize in any significant way, unless its 10's of millions. Even then, I don't see this a BBRy's future. It's why I scoff at trying to value BBM like a whatsapp or twitter or whatever. Those users have buying power and can be upsold. Jakarta users, at least to me, aren't BBRY's target audience going forward. Great BBRY could stay in that segment for "free" with Foxcomm. Software, enterprise, corporate handsets yes, low margin low revenue users not so much. YMMV and of course JMHO.......
    I think, you make a good point. I wonder what the revenue share arrangement is with Foxconn. I am guessing in the 25% - 30% range to Blackberry. Chen said that in any scenario, Blackberry will not lose money on every device sold with this deal. So, profit is profit. I hope that Jakarta would be received well with the targeted crowd in Indonesia, because BBM is still popular there.

I am thinking, why try to grow consumer base from top to bottom only. This Foxconn deal allows Blackberry to grow its consumer base at the bottom, while selling the higher end models at the top part. It is so important to make the BB10 experience accessible for everyone on this planet first, so Blackberry is not perceived as an expensive businessman or prosumer device only. And considering that there are more Android phones out there for the more affordable phone market, I hope, the Z3 will convert these Android users into Blackberry users. It is not like Blackberry remove some key OS features for the Z3.

I am going into a bit of a rant mode here. I don't mean to dismiss anyone's preference for mobile phones. My experience of having the Z30, iPhone, and Nexus 7 shows that I am more productive with the Z30. I find myself having shorter usage session with my Z30, because I can do things faster, and better. The question is: can the mass appreciate a faster and more productive mobile phone? And can Blackberry market itself to help the mass answer this question?
    jxnb, OMGitworks, Corbu and 7 others like this.
    02-19-14 02:03 PM
    Canada advanced to the semi finals against the US, the winner plays in the gold medal game against the winner of Sweden and Finland.
    Yes...sorry bout the inaccuracy

Z30 - Das Phone.
    02-19-14 02:08 PM
    I'm not putting my penny on either side of that question, but I would say that I think it's equally fallacious to believe that the markets, or any aspect of life that involves people, are transparent and without cheating or corruption. I think both sides of the conspiracy theory question usually go to far.

In my view, based on life experience, if there is opportunity and incentive, and a reasonable chance of getting away with it, people will be cheating, no matter the field, no matter the discipline, no matter what. We can't expect a financial system without cheating and manipulation (or conspiracies) any more than we can expect an Olympics or Tour de France without drugs, or an office without gossip. It's a part of life.

Posted via CB10
    I think we agree? Anywhere there is money is greed and dishonest seeking the advantage.

We have given most yesterday's gains back and heading back to the $8 range.
    02-19-14 02:09 PM
    I am very sad the Russians won't be around for the semis this time.

It is too bad it won't be a US v Canada gold medal game. It could have been epic.
    Kid Vibe likes this.
    02-19-14 02:28 PM

It is too bad it won't be a US v Canada gold medal game. It could have been epic.
    I agree, hopefully it will be a CAN - SWE final
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    02-19-14 02:34 PM
    �T-Mobile takes on Blackberry and loses - CNNMoney.com(Wed 1:04PM EST)

More of the same but big fan of the link header.

T-Mobile takes on Blackberry and loses - Feb. 19, 2014
    morganplus8, zyben, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    02-19-14 02:37 PM

Like it was 4 years ago? Hehe...
    I am a bit conflicted. For all purposes, I am very much an American, but somehow when it comes to hockey, my money was on the looney under that ice. Oh yeah, and on BlackBerry too.
    02-19-14 03:09 PM
    I hope Lenny isn't looking at TSLA right now lol

Posted via CB10
    Randeman likes this.
    02-19-14 03:10 PM
    •T-Mobile takes on Blackberry and loses - CNNMoney.com(Wed 1:04PM EST)

So that is the way T-Mobile does the apology, giving free shipping for the BB phone ordered online.
    02-19-14 03:24 PM
    So that is the way T-Mobile does the apology, giving free shipping for the BB phone ordered online.
    Clearly T-Mobile has a bunch of Iphones they need to unload lol. Kinda sad that Apple controls the carriers with under handed agreements.
    02-19-14 03:32 PM
    As to BlackBerry this time not much to add. Thought Mogan hit a home run with his comments above though I continue to disagree when he mentions the handsets as "free". While I am certain they are as cheaply valued as GAAP would allow, they are not valueless and therefore should not be valued at $0.

One voice has to stand up for the USA in the hockey and imagine for a moment a Ranger fan who know that even though North America will be well represented no matter who moves forward in the next round (naturally I want that to be the US) King Henrik might be standing in front of the gold medal. I love this Tournament. May the best team win.
    Last edited by randall2580; 02-20-14 at 10:49 AM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-19-14 03:49 PM
    •T-Mobile takes on Blackberry and loses - CNNMoney.com(Wed 1:04PM EST)

Not sure the CEO of T-Mobile is seeing it that...

Was going to engage John Chen on Twitter, but turns out he’s not here. I'll check MySpace. Don’t worry @BlackBerry Something in the works!
    Maybe something in the works isn't what BBRY have in mind...
    02-19-14 04:06 PM
    Facebook to buy whatsapp for about $16b cash and stock
    02-19-14 04:07 PM
    No link yet but Facebook is buying Whatsapp...
    02-19-14 04:07 PM
    Definitely bad news for BBM, Facebook has the users and money to make WhatsApp even bigger.

Link:
    http://investor.fb.com/secfiling.cfm...10&CIK=1326801
    02-19-14 04:12 PM
113,250 ... 24312432243324342435 ...