View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Yes I agree , desktop BBM is a must to compete with Skype, etcetera.
    Web BBM would be a great in-between ... as it will provide a (side) WP support too.
    How's that feasible without compromizing security/privacy is another story though ...
    02-14-14 12:04 PM
    Web BBM would be a great in-between ... as it will provide a (side) WP support too.
    How's that feasible without compromizing security/privacy is another story though ...
    You're quite right about that. But Web BBM could be something like logging in to your bank account through the browser? So reasonable safe I guess.
    02-14-14 12:12 PM
    Here�s an odd question: If BlackBerry Ltd. were a car company, which one would it be?

Well, it seems the smartphone firm�s own chief executive, John Chen, already has an answer: Porsche.

Is BlackBerry Ltd. the Porsche of the smartphone world? CEO John Chen seems to think so | Financial Post
    The writer of this article took this out of context. The interview this stems from had asked if Chen really thinks they can survive as a small niche player. He used Porsche as an example of a small, quality supplier in a large market but making money.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, morganplus8, W Hoa and 4 others like this.
    02-14-14 12:14 PM
    Things 'SeekingAlpha' should be approached cautiously but this article out today speaks directly to the BBM issue and is an interesting read. One issue I take with the author is that he attaches a value of $50 per BBM user which I feel is too steep at this stage of the game.

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) news: BlackBerry - Is BBM Really Worth Nothing? - Seeking Alpha
    Major caution. I hope he is right but he needs to take a statistics course and see what he is doing to get to his conclusion that BBM is going toe to toe with WhatsApp. I wish he were right, but my #'s background and gut tell me he is way off here. Hopefully Mr Chen lets us know how great BBMx is doing with hard numbers all the SA article is doing is making a flawed argument and raising expectations. We don't need that right now.
    cjcampbell and anon(4086547) like this.
    02-14-14 01:06 PM
    The writer of this article took this out of context. The interview this stems from had asked if Chen really thinks they can survive as a small niche player. He used Porsche as an example of a small, quality supplier in a large market but making money.

Posted via CB10
    Shocking that a "journalist" would do such a thing!
    02-14-14 01:08 PM
    If BBMx can get Video and Screen Share across as soon as possible, and get some more big names into BBM Channels, and perhaps add a cool feature or two, WhatsApp and Viber won't stand a chance over the long term. It's quality that matters now. The numbers will come eventually once that is in place. I do think that even though money is tight BlackBerry should do at least a bit of BBM advertising to help get some users. London Tube ads and ads in select cities in the US and elsewhere would be great. In the meantime, we need to see the undervaluation of BBM as a good thing and not a bad thing. As investors, would we really want to have to pay for BBM instead of getting it for free?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    02-14-14 01:12 PM
    Hey guys a little OT: Live Inc. share was split forward 3-1 Tues and its up to $10 I'm buying more. They are similar to Groupon but the merchant can set the deals live without having to send it to the company for them to post. The deal then goes live on the apps, they just launched in NY , mainly for food, and have been in San Fran/L.A for a month.

M+8 do you have a channel for talking about stocks? I recall you mentioning that you maybe making one, and now with BBM 2.0 I get channels. Thanks.
    02-14-14 01:30 PM
    For after hours general reading:
    Cisco CEO: Internet of Things poised to be $19 trillion market | ZDNet

And I came across this line saying �Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did�, where several entrepreneurs and BB people will recognize themselves. Enjoy the weekend, I have some heavy snow shoveling to do later today.
    morganplus8, Bilaal, zyben and 4 others like this.
    02-14-14 01:36 PM
    Not sure why BB is holding the desktop version. It will be true enterprise collaboration tool. They already have it built, shown few months ago. Just matter of releasing it. Enteprise will have BB high end for executives, foxconn for avg users, BBM for personal/biz chat/collbration tool, BES to manage all devices,
    rarsen likes this.
    02-14-14 01:36 PM
    I agree, I had few friends used BBM when it was released, now they gone back to Whatsup. They announced it last spring, supposed to release all by this time. Get few Indians to do low level coding and get the full product out before experiencing same thing as hardware. Only 60 mil users left now
    02-14-14 01:38 PM
    Not sure why BB is holding the desktop version. It will be true enterprise collaboration tool. They already have it built, shown few months ago. Just matter of releasing it. Enteprise will have BB high end for executives, foxconn for avg users, BBM for personal/biz chat/collbration tool, BES to manage all devices,
    They may have a build, but who knows how stable and reliable it is. Desktop software has always been their weakest link.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen and jxnb like this.
    02-14-14 01:41 PM
    I read it like most of you in this forum. From what I can see, here, it is respected when it is pro BBRY and not so much when they have something negative to say.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    02-14-14 01:41 PM
    Wow, Time Magazine and Rolling Stone Official Channels just launched

Some big names jumping on.

Posted via CB10
    Bilaal, rarsen, bungaboy and 6 others like this.
    02-14-14 01:42 PM
    Wow, Time Magazine and Rolling Stone Official Channels just launched

Some big names jumping on.

Posted via CB10
    Helps that they finally got channels on BBMX.
    dusdal, bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    02-14-14 01:49 PM
    Looking at the stats in appannie.com, It seems that BBM 2.0 didn't move the needle.

BBM - Daily Ranks | App Annie
    BBM - Daily Ranks | App Annie
    theRock1975 likes this.
    02-14-14 02:05 PM
    I must say it: 6% lost in two days... I must be missing something but I don't get it.

Seems to me we deserve better than this. Cheers!
    rarsen, bungaboy and plasmid_boy like this.
    02-14-14 02:39 PM
    Prem should be buying now and not at $10. Well how about he buys now and at $10
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-14-14 02:42 PM
    02-14-14 02:51 PM
    For after hours general reading:
    Cisco CEO: Internet of Things poised to be $19 trillion market | ZDNet

And I came across this line saying “Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did”, where several entrepreneurs and BB people will recognize themselves. Enjoy the weekend, I have some heavy snow shoveling to do later today.
    Thanks for the post.

Pace yourself on the snow shovelling.

Here's a tip. If you leave it long enough . . . it will melt! LoL
    02-14-14 03:10 PM
    I may agree with you about delayed shoveling for IMHO more beneficial opportunities. But I will have assured resistance from the spouse, and Valentine's Day is not the best choice to initiate disagreements, hi-hi. How's snow down in the Maritimes, do you get some of the recent large offerings coming from the Eastern US?

Almost time for liquid refreshments to get the weekend spirit.
    02-14-14 03:32 PM
    Primecap increases stake in BBRY by 20% or 5.655 Million shares, and fidelity doubled there stake to about 5 Million shares.
    But the big one is Third Point discloses a 10 Million share stake

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 03:42 PM
    Yes!

Loeb buys into BlackBerry, shares +2% AH • 4:44 PM

• In its Q4 13F, Dan Loeb's Third Point Capital discloses it had a 10M-share BlackBerry (BBRY) position at the end of 2013. The position has a current value of $92M, and is good for nearly a 2% stake in the company.
    • Loeb's disclosure comes with BlackBerry shares having rallied sharply from their autumn lows due to investor optimism regarding new CEO John Chen's turnaround efforts.

cjcampbell, Corbu, rarsen and 10 others like this.
    02-14-14 03:51 PM
    Nice revesal after hours. I'm glad I picked up some more shares. What an opportunity!

Posted via swift BlackBerry Z30!
    02-14-14 03:56 PM
    I may agree with you about delayed shoveling for IMHO more beneficial opportunities. But I will have assured resistance from the spouse, and Valentine's Day is not the best choice to initiate disagreements, hi-hi. How's snow down in the Maritimes, do you get some of the recent large offerings coming from the Eastern US?

Almost time for liquid refreshments to get the weekend spirit.
    We had rain and +8C today. Took a lot of snow away.
    02-14-14 03:57 PM
    They aren't necessarily holding the desktop version of BBM.
    1) They did not show a desktop version of BBM, they showed a mirrored screen of the phone's BBM. Similar to how BlackBerry Bridge can pull in your BlackBerry's emails and BBMs, etc
    2) As we recently recieved a further BlackBerry Bridge update, the full functionalities are likely just not there. You do not want to release a product that is half baked and slowly upgrade and add features. That didn't work out very well with the BlackBerry Playbook.
    3) They're likely evaluating how that all fits in their company's business model. You don't want to release products that are not beneficial to your company.
    Superfly_FR, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    02-14-14 03:58 PM
113,256 ... 24232424242524262427 ...