View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I think they lost a lot of momentum. I know I'm my personal group everyone is still using whatsapp.

I'm not a great barometer though coz I really don't have any friends!

I should add that I think this is why Chen keeps harping on about enterprise this is the space they plan to build momentum again for all products BBM included

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB likes this.
    02-14-14 03:00 AM
    The momentum can be regained. We can't afford many eff ups, and we need video and screen share to be added as soon as possible, but I think BBMx is now ready to go. Until now, there wasn't really enough there to tempt outsiders to switch.

The conversion will take time and BlackBerry and all if us need to be patient. There is going to be a period, even if BBM is successful (and I think it will be) when most people have both BBM and WhatsCrap on their phones.

WhatsApp is obviously inferior but it will take time for people to realise this and switch...say within another six months or so? Until then, we just need to keep pushing it, and spreading the word. None of this is going to affect the SP for a long while, but that is just proof that the market does not know everything. It's made up of human beings, and that is where we can make our profit, provided Chen and his crew do their job.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 04:21 AM
    I am sure some BlackBerry haters will hate that bbm 2.0 is ******* amazing. Even with out video I love it.

Posted via CB10
    At only .5% in the US, I doubt many will notice.<sad>
    02-14-14 06:27 AM
    Did anyone get into any gold plays? Gold has been motoring along like a beast.
    morganplus8 and anon(4086547) like this.
    02-14-14 06:52 AM
    BB, be my Valentine...lets do the 5% green dance baby.

Z30 - Das Phone.
    02-14-14 07:08 AM
    BlackBerry PT Raised to $11.00 (BBRY)

Posted by Wayne Rhoads on Feb 14th, 2014
    BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) had its price objective raised by RBC Capital from $10.00 to $11.00 in a research report released on Thursday morning, StockRatingsNetwork.com reports.
    02-14-14 07:25 AM
    At only .5% in the US, I doubt many will notice.
    Is that the % of BlackBerry or BBM users?

One of my colleagues is going to ditch his iPhone 5s for a Z30. He updated BBM on his iPhone and asked me "so, when I travel over seas, I can call my kids for free?"
    I said "welcome to BlackBerry, that's what I do when I travel. In fact, BBM Video is even better, I can see my kids and they can me. "
    He played with my phone for a while. Handed it back to me and said "this is a better phone, I am getting it. "
    Then he Googled the Z30 and was just blown away. He closed the browser and said "f#@$ I should have listened to you long ago! "
    I said "it's not too late now, welcome to the 21st century, buddy!"

Posted via CB10
    jxnb, georg4BB, bungaboy and 13 others like this.
    02-14-14 07:39 AM
    Rakuten to Buy App Maker Viber

Japan's biggest online retailer says it is paying $900 million for Cyprus-based maker of messaging and calling applications, as it looks to double its world-wide reach and become a truly global Internet-services player

What Makes Viber Attractive for Rakuten? - Digits - WSJ

With its proposed deal to buy Viber Media, Japanese e-commerce company Rakuten is stepping into a war zone.

The world of smartphone communications apps is fiercely competitive with many powerful players, and Viber’s success isn’t guaranteed. So why is Rakuten paying $900 million to get into this market?

For Rakuten or any other company that offers online services, messaging and communication apps are attractive assets because people use those apps many times a day to chat with friends. The apps’ high level of engagement and ability to occupy smartphone users’ time and attention could be a key factor in building a strong platform for all kinds of mobile services, says Tim Shepherd, an analyst at Canalys who covers mobile apps.

The market for communication apps is “challenging but also rewarding,” Shepherd says.

Rakuten is surely not the only one interested in messaging apps. Facebook last year offered to buy Snapchat, a fast-growing messaging service from Silicon Valley, for about $3 billion, even though Snapchat declined the offer. Chinese Internet company Tencent HoldingsTCEHY +1.49%, which runs the popular messaging app WeChat, has also expressed an interest in Snapchat. In China, local e-commerce giant Alibaba Group has been trying to promote its own messaging app called Laiwang as part of its efforts to attract smartphone users to its shopping sites and other services.

According to Rakuten, Viber has 300 million registered users, including more than 100 million monthly active users. That certainly makes it a big player among communication apps that offer free voice calls, text messaging and other social networking featrures.

But Viber also faces powerful competitors with overlapping services. As a free voice call service, Viber competes against Skype, which has been popular since the pre-smartphone era. As a mobile instant-messaging tool, Silicon Valley’s WhatsApp is a dominant player. The company, founded by former Yahoo engineers, said last year that it had more than 300 million monthly active users globally, almost three times Viber’s user base.

Unlike Viber, WhatsApp doesn’t offer voice calls.

The market for communication apps is particularly vibrant in Asia, where homegrown apps are rapidly expanding. Tencent’s WeChat is ubiquitous among the country’s hundreds of millions of smartphone users. Last year, Tencent spent up to $200 million to promote WeChat overseas, in Asian emerging markets as well as Spain, South Africa and other countries. The app, which offers text and voice messaging as well as various social networking features, now has 272 million monthly active users in China and abroad, according to the company.

Another giant from Asia is Line, which offers voice calls, messaging and many other social features. Line, operated by the Japanese subsidiary of Korean Internet firm Naver, says it has more than 300 million registered users.
    rarsen, zyben and JLagoon like this.
    02-14-14 07:41 AM
    Soooo, will you be changing your handle then? Perhaps after the next update?
    I believe his handle was to mock one of our former pet trolls. LoL
    02-14-14 07:42 AM
    Not sure if this was posted earlier.

BlackBerry Releases Guidelines to Deter Privacy-Infringing Apps
    https://threatpost.com/blackberry-re...ng-apps/104242
    02-14-14 09:02 AM
    Not sure if this was posted earlier.

https://threatpost.com/blackberry-re...ng-apps/104242
    The article is dated today but reading it, it seems like the content is from last year

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Ribes Nigrum like this.
    02-14-14 09:07 AM
    The feature you are describing is only available in "Groups." I like Groups (use it with coworkers) but I only use it for a specific event or purpose. It is too involved to have to invite everyone then wait for their acceptance in order to correspond with them. I use multi-person chats a lot more frequently and unfortunately, I am going to have to keep using SMS group texting because we (my friends and I) need the ability to share pictures.
    Not 100% sure, but I guess you can use the new Dropbox integration for that.
    02-14-14 09:15 AM
    The article is dated today but reading it, it seems like the content is from last year

Posted via CB10
    Oh well. Maybe it was posted last year. LoL
    02-14-14 09:41 AM
    BB, be my Valentine...lets do the 5% green dance baby.

Z30 - Das Phone.
    Not happening today, maybe Monday!
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-14-14 10:15 AM
    No NSW news never made to Yahoo, Google or american media. BBM guy leaves and 4 places post. BBM2.0 released within 48 hours after his departure no biggie..Unfair world and media. May be Andrew supposed to release it video but he screwed up.
    Not to be too negative but an update to a 4th or 5th most popular messaging app is hardly newsworthy. C or high level changes at publically traded companies always hit the wire. I do wish Chen would fill us in on his plan for replacing or consolidating or restructuring these positions.
    02-14-14 10:25 AM
    Somebody please tell me that the whole market is on period and not just BBRY. All I see is red. But BBRY seems to be the leader bleeder..

A lot of positive news around time to get green..

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 10:36 AM
    Re-entering here, small position.
    02-14-14 10:49 AM
    @ CEO BlackBerry Mr Chen, how about stopping this free fall of the SP?
    02-14-14 10:54 AM

One of my colleagues is going to ditch his iPhone 5s for a Z30. He updated BBM on his iPhone and asked me "so, when I travel over seas, I can call my kids for free?"
    I said "welcome to BlackBerry, that's what I do when I travel. In fact, BBM Video is even better, I can see my kids and they can me. "
    He played with my phone for a while. Handed it back to me and said "this is a better phone, I am getting it. "
    Then he Googled the Z30 and was just blown away. He closed the browser and said "f#@$ I should have listened to you long ago! "

Posted via CB10
    You are likely right as with so few Blackberry phones being used BBM for sure exceeds these. It just does not seem to be doing anything for BBRY as we are moving into the $8 range again, soon.
    02-14-14 10:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    I've had the same experience. Colleagues are often impressed with the capabilities of my Z10. Except everyone thinks BlackBerry is "still" dead. No media and marketing attention is bad thing. Less bias here against BlackBerry here in Europe. Picked up a Z30, it's so good. No carrier has it officially. Only Q5/10 and Z10. I hope the launch of the Foxconn BlackBerry shakes things up. We need a big bang here to get attention. Chen talked about BlackBerry being the Porsche of smartphones. Get that image up for BlackBerry in marketing.
    02-14-14 11:12 AM
    You are likely right as with so few Blackberry phones being used BBM for sure exceeds these. It just does not seem to be doing anything for BBRY as we are moving into the $8 range again, soon.
    Things 'SeekingAlpha' should be approached cautiously but this article out today speaks directly to the BBM issue and is an interesting read. One issue I take with the author is that he attaches a value of $50 per BBM user which I feel is too steep at this stage of the game.

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) news: BlackBerry - Is BBM Really Worth Nothing? - Seeking Alpha
    02-14-14 11:31 AM
    Things 'SeekingAlpha' should be approached cautiously but this article out today speaks directly to the BBM issue and is an interesting read. One issue I take with the author is that he attaches a value of $50 per BBM user which I feel is too steep at this stage of the game.

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) news: BlackBerry - Is BBM Really Worth Nothing? - Seeking Alpha
    BBM is worth something alright. That figure depends on how bad everybody wants it. Quality of BBM is good, just get video for everybody out ASAP. I have it on 10.3, it's great. Much much better than Skype. So please let's get this marketing show on the road. Big time!
    morganplus8, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    02-14-14 11:46 AM
    In order to really compete, they NEED BBM desktop (or web). This would instantly attract GTalk, Skype and Facebook chat users.

BBM is worth something alright. That figure depends on how bad everybody wants it. Quality of BBM is good, just get video for everybody out ASAP. I have it on 10.3, it's great. Much much better than Skype. So please let's get this marketing show on the road. Big time!
    02-14-14 11:51 AM
    In order to really compete, they NEED BBM desktop (or web). This would instantly attract GTalk, Skype and Facebook chat users.
    Yes I agree , desktop BBM is a must to compete with Skype, etcetera.
    02-14-14 11:55 AM
    Here�s an odd question: If BlackBerry Ltd. were a car company, which one would it be?

Well, it seems the smartphone firm�s own chief executive, John Chen, already has an answer: Porsche.

Is BlackBerry Ltd. the Porsche of the smartphone world? CEO John Chen seems to think so | Financial Post
    02-14-14 12:03 PM
113,252 ... 24222423242424252426 ...