I know its been a while since the last buyout rumor has been spread on here at least from what i can see, But has anyone else heard of the possible buyout with Lenovo? I saw that come across my stock ticker today (which was up 1.84$!!!) from Reuters.

Any thoughts?

My Source.
    03-11-13 10:26 PM
    I think that the Lenovo thing is not the most likely reason why the stock went up. I think the stock went up because of AT&T announcing + T-Mobile business customers getting their Z10, everyone seeing that the US launch is happening.
    03-11-13 10:59 PM
    I agree that the stock price is directly reflecting that the market has to deal with the evidence that its been a successful launch now that its come to the US launch. I just dont want to see BBRY get sold out. Thats always the first step in loosing everything that we love about a company
    03-11-13 11:08 PM
    Probably a little of both. The share price for BB will likely swing wildly until they announce Q4 earnings on March 28th. At which point it may become even MORE volatile.
    03-11-13 11:19 PM
    Probably a little of both. The share price for BB will likely swing wildly until they announce Q4 earnings on March 28th. At which point it may become even MORE volatile.
    Everything Ive seen so far in independent research and their financial statements indicates that they are still a bargain at this price. The only thing that would worry me is if they got bought out. Companies Hardly ever maintain their identities afterwards and their products are never as good
    03-11-13 11:27 PM
    no buyout, licensing most likely. Chinese company will never take hold of a Canadian company, especially the large exposure of security risk if the chinese got hold of it.
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-12-13 12:10 AM
    I hope that Lenovo not going to buy BB.
    I'm worried about the Chinese take over.
    03-12-13 12:19 AM
    I agree with you @slipstream89. With as much info piracy that already happens to think that they would sell out to a Chinese controlled company is unfathomable. I really dont want to see anyone buy them out personally.
    03-12-13 12:26 AM
    Who anounces a deal, then says no my words are taken out of context!, 2 months later says a very similar thing. Followed by no are words were taken out of context again?
    Looks to me like there may be a licensing deal on the horizon. Lenovo likes BlackBerry and what they can do for their business. + it looks like they are enjoying giving all the shorts a real pain in the azz! Lenovo CEO is LHAO!! Good on him!
    Consider Lenovo has a market cap of 9 billion and BlackBerry is 7 Billion. Not good odds for getting a deal done + BlackBerry is most likely on the verge of a stock mega rally! it gets no easier from here!!
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-12-13 12:37 AM
    Sleep soundly at night my friend, Canadian Government has the authority to block any merger if it is not in the best interest of Canada. They have done it in the past.

I agree with you @slipstream89. With as much info piracy that already happens to think that they would sell out to a Chinese controlled company is unfathomable. I really dont want to see anyone buy them out personally.
    03-12-13 12:48 AM
    BB isn't going to get bought out, and it has little to do with the Canadian Government.

Most of the major shareholders in BB are in a losing position right now, and nobody is going to pay enough to put them back in the black. I think they're also confident in the product and technology that they own. And I don't blame them.

Lenovo won't buy BB, because BB will lose much of its perceived value in Lenovo's hands (in the past, BB has actively avoided using Chinese manufacturers over intellectual property fears). A licensing agreement could be very interesting, though, especially since BB10 makes a very tempting corporate platform because it comes with its own MDM solution. No other phone offers that.

I sold all my BB shares today; I expect them to swing down a bit again over the next couple of weeks and I'll buy back in once they dip a little.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    03-12-13 12:58 AM
    This story is absurd. If the market was rising on this, this is exhibit A in the argument against market efficiency.

There is no way this firm would be sold to Lenovo, there are just too may barriers. First, the major institutional shareholders for RIM are in this for the long haul, these aren't hedge funds looking to flip this thing for 10%. Just FairFax (Prem Watsa) has something like 10% of the company. Second, can we really imagine the Canadian government okaying the sale of Canada's largest technology company to a CHINESE firm? THINK of the political ramifications!!! We already have huge swath's of the country that blame the Chinese for the collapse of manufacturing, and the government is going to walk right into that minefield by saying "go ahead Lenovo, take out RIM!". Third, as much as Lenovo is not a Chinese SOC, you better believe that all outbound FDI into Western countries of this size go through the Chinese government. There is no way they are going to okay this without behind the scenes talks first with the Canadian government, as they likely don't want either side to lose "face" in a messy takeover battle between a Chinese MNC and a Canadian firm. And you better believe behind the scenes, Canadian government officials would pour cold water all over this idea.

Seriously, think it through, this is ridiculous.

If I had to guess, I think the extreme upwards movement is just due to the unbelievable short interest in BBRY. Any potential good news, no matter how absurd, get's the shorts scared, and we have the makings of a classic squeeze. There likely was panic today as these guys bought back some of their shares, and nothing more. I suspect we'll see more of these types of events, especially if US sales do as well as the international sales did.
    03-12-13 01:47 AM
    The move Monday was brought on by short term traders jumping over a rumor regarding Lenovo. This breed of trader isn't interested in whether a bid actually happens, just as long as they can resell the shares at a higher price. They will be long gone well before any actually news hits the tape. These people are well aware of the short position and use any excuse to try and move the shares higher. Their only motive is profit. They have no loyalty to a particular side of any given trade. In addition to these short term scalpers, the market has also seen the emergence of a very large contingent of High Frequency Trading computer algorithms (HFT). In some of the very liquid names, I would suspect that upwards of 80% of the shares traded on any given day can be attributed to these computer programs. They will buy and sell several times over in a matter of minutes. Given its volatility and its liquidity, BBRY is a dream stock for these programs. Unlike many on on this thread, I don't believe we have seen even the beginnings of a short squeeze. It wouldn't even surprise me that that short position actually increased today but there is no way to track that metric. The shorts have been steadily increasing their position even as the shares marched higher over the last 6 months, and in particular since December. I suspect if we ever do get a short squeeze, you will know about it as the volume could well top the ENTIRE float. Remember, that as soon as they start to cover in size, HFT programs will be buying too and you could see an explosive move to the upside. And I'm not talking about a one or two dollar move.
    03-12-13 03:56 AM
    If they do buy Blackberry....I will be the first one to drop the nuke
    03-12-13 05:55 AM
    If Lenovo/China purchased BB it would be the end of BB as we know it. No one trusts China when it comes to security.

It is just not going to happen and if it did, it would be time to move on to another device/OS.
    03-12-13 11:39 AM
    Sleep soundly at night my friend, Canadian Government has the authority to block any merger if it is not in the best interest of Canada. They have done it in the past.

glad to hear it. we need to keep it pure
    03-12-13 01:44 PM