apparently everything that BBRY makes will kill off the competition and will be ultra successful....
    05-16-13 10:21 AM
    Why would it kill Twitter? Bbm is instant messaging twitter isn't.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure why BBM would kill twitter either. As for Skype, I sure prefect BBM to Skype.
    Craig Abernethy and 454vette like this.
    05-16-13 10:26 AM
    Not sure why BBM would kill twitter either. As for Skype, I sure prefect BBM to Skype.
    BBM Channels Announced at BlackBerry Live 2013 �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

BlackBerry takes on Twitter with BBM Channels | Mobile - CNET News

Considering that Tweeter has 140 characters limitation ....
    05-16-13 10:49 AM
    Advertising
    Selling analytics
    2 major billion dollar industries just for starters.
    You need to remember that cross BBM is being done, to push out BBM channels to the masses.

Posted via CB10
    Yea, thank you! The timing here isn't a coincidence. Channels is useless if it doesn't have a massive audience. For brands and celebs to start using it. They need to be able to reach ALL thier fans. Not just the ones who have blackberries.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 11:52 AM
    Why is that one always want a new comer to kill competition ?
    BBM will succeed, expand, enrich and glorify BlackBerry ( shiny enough ?); I have no doubt about it.

It will generate direct revenues (channels being the biggest part - while we don't know yet if there could be some extra-services like multimedia things, at least on Android) and indirect revenues (Brand promotion has a cost and there's no better way to expose BlackBerry skills to the mass than with BBM, IMHO). It will also prevent some to quit the BB environment because of a missing fully functional or "today's hype" IM client.
    All of this IS money, some being revenues, some you don't have to spend elsewhere.

Now, will it kill Twitter ? Skype ? FaceBook ? Google x ? Yahoo y ? WhatsApp ?
    Why that ? All these offers have specific goods and bads depending on who and where you are, what platform (incl. desks) you are using, what services you need or simply what service is sexiest for you and your friends.
    Sure, some will die/be bought in the near future. But BBM is just another player and believing it'll be the only one is disproportionated.

Read me well: I do believe BBM will be the best IM/Social platform by the end of the year.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-17-13 at 03:25 AM.
    Dapper37 and Knightcrawler like this.
    05-17-13 03:15 AM
    Advertising
    Selling analytics
    2 major billion dollar industries just for starters.
    You need to remember that cross BBM is being done, to push out BBM channels to the masses.

Posted via CB10
    Nothing should slime out of the Channels. This is quite a promise made several times by the emphasized "EXPLICIT opt-in". I do hope this will be real and we won't be flooded with content-related or ads nor unsolicited promotion. In fact, I'm sure we won't. That's one major marketing distinction from FB,Goog and others. And that's part of the "bottom-up" security/privacy rule - aka BlackBerry DNA - IMHO.

So let's gently tick-out the advertising
    Dapper37 likes this.
    05-17-13 03:21 AM
    nobody will be K.I.L.L.ed and nobody will be doomed - all these platforms will exist side by side and have their users. (I wonder that nobody claims, that BBMcp is not also the end of facebook... ;-)
    05-17-13 04:55 AM
    MS paid US$8.5 BILLION for Skype.
    There are already more than US$600 million invested in Tweeter.

And BBM is literally of no cost to BBRY so a successful BBM-X will definitely be of very positive value, esp if it takes down Tweeter and Skype along the way .....
    Why is that one always want a new comer to kill competition ?
    BBM will succeed, expand, enrich and glorify BlackBerry ( shiny enough ?); I have no doubt about it.

It will generate direct revenues (channels being the biggest part - while we don't know yet if there could be some extra-services like multimedia things, at least on Android) and indirect revenues (Brand promotion has a cost and there's no better way to expose BlackBerry skills to the mass than with BBM, IMHO). It will also prevent some to quit the BB environment because of a missing fully functional or "today's hype" IM client.
    All of this IS money, some being revenues, some you don't have to spend elsewhere.

Now, will it kill Twitter ? Skype ? FaceBook ? Google x ? Yahoo y ? WhatsApp ?
    Why that ? All these offers have specific goods and bads depending on who and where you are, what platform (incl. desks) you are using, what services you need or simply what service is sexiest for you and your friends.
    Sure, some will die/be bought in the near future. But BBM is just another player and believing it'll be the only one is disproportionated.

Read me well: I do believe BBM will be the best IM/Social platform by the end of the year.
    The problem with competition is that some will survive. And some will / may not. Remember the days of search engines called Lycos, Alta Vista, etc? It cost money to maintain these entities. Tweeter already costs venture capitalists $600M. And Skype costs MS $8.5B.

Someone needs to pay the bill.
    05-17-13 06:59 AM
    People on this board had claimed that BB10 will kill both Android and iOS and BBRY stock price will climb to $30 by June this year. We all know how that turned out.
    05-17-13 01:30 PM
    People on this board had claimed that BB10 will kill both Android and iOS and BBRY stock price will climb to $30 by June this year. We all know how that turned out.
    Lol, either you omitted to mention a very long timeframe or you can count them on a single hand fingers

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 05:20 PM
    i think you need to readjust your time horizon. Check back in 2 years and let's see what the tech/social media landscape looks like.
    05-18-13 12:53 PM
    Nothing should slime out of the Channels. This is quite a promise made several times by the emphasized "EXPLICIT opt-in". I do hope this will be real and we won't be flooded with content-related or ads nor unsolicited promotion. In fact, I'm sure we won't. That's one major marketing distinction from FB,Goog and others. And that's part of the "bottom-up" security/privacy rule - aka BlackBerry DNA - IMHO.

So let's gently tick-out the advertising
    I fully agree with you, with one additional possibility. The value added advertising that consumers demand. Rich entertaining content free giveaways and so on. Millions of consumers love the option. Cannels provides consumer brands a unique way to engage their customers, it's up to them to provide the content to will drive adoption!
    In turn making people want to opt in to their advertising.
    I guess we should add Groupon into the mix of posible social media that could be affected by Channels.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and Superfly_FR like this.
    05-18-13 07:41 PM
    I fully agree with you, with one additional possibility. The value added advertising that consumers demand. Rich entertaining content free giveaways and so on. Millions of consumers love the option. Cannels provides consumer brands a unique way to engage their customers, it's up to them to provide the content to will drive adoption!
    In turn making people want to opt in to their advertising.
    I guess we should add Groupon into the mix of posible social media that could be affected by Channels.

Posted via CB10
    Exactley...coded NFC coupons are the ticket here, I said so in the Beta Poll and I'll say it again here ...whoever perfects coded NFC coupons, that enables automated data completion will rule the world.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-18-13 07:59 PM
    Exactley...coded NFC coupons are the ticket here, I said so in the Beta Poll and I'll say it again here ...whoever perfects coded NFC coupons, that enables automated data completion will rule the world.

Posted via CB10
    I don't even keep NFC turned on on my phone. Most people I know either have it turned off or don't even know it's there period, and I tend to turn it off for them (saves a little battery).
    05-18-13 11:56 PM
    Just a joke?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    05-19-13 03:03 AM
    I think, in hindsight, they shouldn't have killed BBM Music. That might have been a nice addon to the new BBM.
    05-19-13 03:09 AM
    I don't even keep NFC turned on on my phone. Most people I know either have it turned off or don't even know it's there period, and I tend to turn it off for them (saves a little battery).
    So you'll just scan a tag ... as many do for FB pages, for instance.
    05-19-13 04:55 AM
    It's not like it has to be on all the time, say you go shopping at Walmart. You turn on NFC and use it a few times, leave the store And turn it of. Not everything had to be trivial.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 05:44 AM
    What and NFC coded coupon / ticket would allow, that no one does at this time is:

Instant data updates to the vendor.

Instant paper less tickets for anything...imagine Madison Square Garden doing all their tickets for every event through Channels...no more need to pay Ticket Master a service fee for every seat sold.

Portability for the user.

Etc etc etc.

Way better than Groupon because the vendor only knows how many were sold and then must keep track themselves on the redemption side...

The vendors would act as the distributors of the BBM app too...want this neat way to participate in our discount and ticket program...download here tab.

Posted via CB10
    Dapper37 likes this.
    05-19-13 03:31 PM
    Have you tried BBM voice? I was driving my car at 120 kmh and using BBM voice over LTE. My friend was at home connected through wifi and the clarity was crystal clear.

Posted via CB10
    Slow down man. !!

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 06:26 PM
    BBM is much lesser known than whatsapp, Skype and Twitter, so there is no way BBM kills anything.
    Excuse me, you are so wrong. BBM killed txt msgs years ago.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 06:27 PM
    Skype's core market is VoIP, which BBM voice doesn't fully address therefore it isn't a stand-in for Skype. BBM is also mobile-only. Sorry, don't want to VoIP through a smartphone when I'm sitting at a laptop with a headset and can get it done better, easier, and more efficiently multi-task there...

BBM Channels won't even began to kill twitter. 140 characters is part of what makes Twitter appealing to a lot of people. There's a reason why many people refer to Facebook Timelines as "Facebook blogs," jokingly...

BBM *could* have been a killer, if they had released it back when the first round of rumors were circulating. They're like 2 years late with this. No one really cares, except BB users who want to be able to BBM their iPhone/Android friends who abandoned the platform.
    05-19-13 10:53 PM
    What and NFC coded coupon / ticket would allow, that no one does at this time is:

Instant data updates to the vendor.

Instant paper less tickets for anything...imagine Madison Square Garden doing all their tickets for every event through Channels...no more need to pay Ticket Master a service fee for every seat sold.

Portability for the user.

Etc etc etc.

Way better than Groupon because the vendor only knows how many were sold and then must keep track themselves on the redemption side...

The vendors would act as the distributors of the BBM app too...want this neat way to participate in our discount and ticket program...download here tab.

Posted via CB10
    Much of that (probably almost all of it) can be done with a decent smartphone app (something similar to Passbook) and QR or Bar Codes. Any phone with NFC has a decent enough camera to make this viable.

I checked into my flights with my smartphone via a QR code on my smartphone screen. NFC wasn't needed for that.

There are instances where NFC actually solves a real world issue itself (and isn't a more expensive to implement solution compared to something that already exists, like QR scanners and the like), but those are very, very niche. For example, you can embed an NFC chip in a business card... Or you can just print a QR code on it and have the other person scan that...
    05-19-13 10:55 PM
    Channels is a pretty good start. I can see using this for updates over twitter for sure and the chat functionality is infinitely better than twitter direct messages is...
    05-19-13 11:13 PM
    But if Channels merely mimics Twitter, why wouldn't one just use Twitter? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea but I'm not entirely convinced it's compelling enough to convince someone to switch from Twitter to Channels
    05-20-13 08:40 AM
62 123