Some of you are spot on, but BB may sell less phones at a higher price point. This of course looks very good to the investor. But lets not forget one thing. In the end volume is king. Ask Apple, they sell a fine product at a high price (over priced if you ask me) high profit per unit. But if sales dip just a little the stock and the company gets pushed down. Now if BB had the same problem as Apple we would not be having this discussion. In the end, they need to push product. Yes they have a strong position in the business world as well as government. But other companies are starting to look at that area as the last growth sector for them as well. BB needs to figure out what it wants to be I.E> consumer or secure business/government. I say sell sell sell, some slick commercials.........get the word out........Android in a semi-secure environment..........big selling point in today's world. One last thought, their is no reason why they can't have it both, super secure pro hand set/ secure consumer hand set. Push both and advertise both........sell sell sell. GO------BB------GO
    12-20-15 07:30 AM
    Well the BB fiscal reports are out and it does not look good Priv/OS 10. Hand set sales are down year over year. The number is 65% off from last year. This includes all handsets, since BB does not break out individual results. HEY BB you need to advertise.......you know like Google with its catchy marshmallow song, for its Nexus hand sets. Or like LG and Samsung with great deals. You get one shot at the biggest sales event of the season and they do nothing? You can't make money or sell a product if you don't push your product.
    Are you joking? BlackBerry has done more advertising for the Priv than they have for all their BlackBerry 10 devices combined. Now I know someone might mention the superbowl ad they did but that was so bad that it doesn't count, lol
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    12-20-15 09:25 AM
    not one TV ad, none.
    12-20-15 09:32 AM
    Revenue results this quarter do not agree with that statement, even if software grew over 180% and hardware dropped 65% compared to the same quarter last year.
    Hardware is still larger than software, despite the dramatic drop in phone sales and BlackBerry phone users. The priv did not help stem that decline.
    As has been stated numerous times now, Blackberry is becoming a software company first. Chen has said that's where the company's future lies, that's where he's directing the ship. Hardware does whatever hardware does; if it breaks even, he'll keep it - otherwise, he'll shutter it. And yes - software makes the big bucks, because margins are typically higher on software.

Also as noted, the Priv was out for twenty-two (22) days of the quarter ... and a chunk of that saw orders sitting waiting for inventory to arrive. Kind of difficult to get an accurate read on just how successful the Priv is/will be, but clearly enough to show that the full impact of the Priv was not reflected in this quarter.

And to comments about BB not releasing "full details" on phone sales: I've pointed this out several times - virtually every company reports device sales the same way BB does. No one breaks them out by type, as some have demanded (and continue to demand) Blackberry should do. The only real difference is that BB no longer counts a device shipped as a device sold; the device actually has to be sold and put into a customer's hand before the company will recognize it as revenue. (See: massive writedown of BB10 devices circa 2013 that accompanied the revenue recognition change.) Some of the companies still stuff channels with phones and then make the carriers eat the cost of unsold devices.
    12-20-15 09:40 AM
    Im just reading the article.. I dont remember them talking about numbers during the earnings call so I dont know how WSJ got them

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    revenue from handset sales divided by average selling price maybe?
    12-20-15 10:45 AM
    I don't think anyone understands that lower volume by about 12% but an increase of 40% ASP is a huge positive . Especially when the priv has been selling in a very limited market and also Blackberry only counts sales team once a consumer purchases the phone. So there is no possibility of channel stuffing. The priv will now have world wide distribution with very positive reviews all the bugs eliminated and continous upgrades making the BB\android OS a unique OS in itself . Watch out for next quarter . I predict sales exceding 1billion in sales with BlackBerry shares exceeding 15 dollars. Doubling down of the shorts will cause most of this rise but Blackberry is just beginning to flourish . Target price end of 2016 will be 25 dollars

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    bigjman and Plazmic Flame like this.
    12-20-15 10:47 AM
    I don't think some people here get it. Decline in volume with an increase in revenue is very very good. This means if BlackBerry comes back it will come back stronger than ever. Nothing certain but the upside is looking quite good...
    "Some people" aren't concerned about whether or not BlackBerry is successful as a company, they just want new BB10 hardware and continued BB10 OS development.
    12-20-15 12:31 PM
    HEY BB you need to advertise.......you know like Google with its catchy marshmallow song, for its Nexus hand sets. Or like LG and Samsung with great deals. You get one shot at the biggest sales event of the season and they do nothing? You can't make money or sell a product if you don't push your product.
    BlackBerry is advertising. The BlackBerry Priv was the sponsor of last night's Democratic presidential debate in New Hampshire, seen by millions.
    12-20-15 01:53 PM
    BlackBerry is advertising. The BlackBerry Priv was the sponsor of last night's Democratic presidential debate in New Hampshire, seen by millions.
    Isn't that considered the super bowl of presidential debates?

Posted via CB10
    12-20-15 02:43 PM
    revenue from handset sales divided by average selling price maybe?
    Yes, extrapolating the numbers seems to be what all the financial articles are doing, which is their jobs I guess

I guess at the end of the day, hardware is making more money which is a win win for us users meaning we might just get some more blackberry handsets in the future

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-20-15 02:58 PM
    You don't have to thank the Priv for the increase of the ASP because it's been sold for only few days.

You have to thank the old BlackBerry legacy OS because finally nobody buys them anymore.

So in the end the increased ASP comes from BlackBerry10 devices...
    12-20-15 04:35 PM
    You don't have to thank the Priv for the increase of the ASP because it's been sold for only few days.

You have to thank the old BlackBerry legacy OS because finally nobody buys them anymore.

So in the end the increased ASP comes from BlackBerry10 devices...
    I can't prove it but I also suspect the increased ASP is at least partially attributable to BlackBerry 10 devices. Last quarter I believe it was said that the channel was finally cleared of BBOS devices.
    I also think the low cost BB10 devices would be less compelling to consumers for this reporting period.

I ran some numbers and assuming the Priv has an ASP of $800.00 and the overall ASP is $315.00 on 700,000 units the following table shows the legacy ASP for different numbers of Privs sold.

Priv Units legacy Units legacy ASP
    200,000 500,000 $121.00
    150,000 550,000 $182.70
    100,000 600,000 $234.00
    50,000 650,000 $277.69
    10,000 690,000 $307.97

I don't think its unreasonable that the legacy ASP could be ~$275.00 which would put the number of Privs sold at just over 50,000. This is not a bad thing, they only sold for 22 of the 90 days and only on one carrier in the states with a very conservative pipeline. Nothing horrible happened at launch and they have gotten their first update out. Now they need to get Marshmallow out the door and put the hammer down.
    12-20-15 04:53 PM
    I can't prove it but I also suspect the increased ASP is at least partially attributable to BlackBerry 10 devices. Last quarter I believe it was said that the channel was finally cleared of BBOS devices.
    I also think the low cost BB10 devices would be less compelling to consumers for this reporting period.

I ran some numbers and assuming the Priv has an ASP of $800.00 and the overall ASP is $315.00 on 700,000 units the following table shows the legacy ASP for different numbers of Privs sold.

Priv Units legacy Units legacy ASP
    200,000 500,000 $121.00
    150,000 550,000 $182.70
    100,000 600,000 $234.00
    50,000 650,000 $277.69
    10,000 690,000 $307.97

I don't think its unreasonable that the legacy ASP could be ~$275.00 which would put the number of Privs sold at just over 50,000. This is not a bad thing, they only sold for 22 of the 90 days and only on one carrier in the states with a very conservative pipeline. Nothing horrible happened at launch and they have gotten their first update out. Now they need to get Marshmallow out the door and put the hammer down.
    The math has already been done by seekingalpha.com and other members of CB have checked it. John Chen even mentioned how to do the calculations in the bnn interview. The results based on the data are between 125,000 and 150,000 privs sold in 22 days.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-15 05:34 PM
    The math has already been done by seeking alpha and other members of CB. John Chen even mentioned how to do the calculations in the bnn interview. The results based on the data are between 125,000 and 150,000 privs sold in 22 days.

Posted via CB10
    What, you don't like my math?
    meltbox360 likes this.
    12-20-15 05:42 PM
    What, you don't like my math?
    I applaud the attempt. Just pointing out that this has been calculated. Here is the link...there is also a thread on CB where the math was checked.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3764...inue-into-2016

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-20-15 at 06:04 PM.
    12-20-15 05:48 PM
    Here is the link...there is also a thread on CB where the math was checked.

Posted via CB10
    Forgot the link?
    12-20-15 05:53 PM
    That guy USA. Just wondering what business school you graduated from?

12-20-15 05:55 PM
    Forgot the link?
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/3764...inue-into-2016

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-20-15 05:56 PM
    12-21-15 09:45 AM
    Took me short moment to decide whether this thread was about BBRY (the stock) or simply another armchair CEO talk. Will fav the BBRY option and leave a placeholder in the original forum choice, for a while.
    I believe that's the place where we'll find most people who "leaned to read a SEC filling"
    12-21-15 09:51 AM
    BB has an unfortunate history of being secretive in unit volumes
    Everyone does. Unless you can find me a spot in an annual report where Apple breaks apart the iPhone 6, 6S and 6S plus; or Samsung breaks apart the units of the Galaxy line by individual models.

I'm as curious as anyone, but it's not really a case of BlackBerry hiding something as much as companies tend to report on business lines.
    12-21-15 10:53 AM
    not one TV ad, none.
    They also sponsored Good Morning America as well.
    12-21-15 11:40 AM
    The Priv came out at the end of the quarter, software is where BB makes the big bucks anyways.

I agree with you on that one
    12-21-15 01:38 PM
    BlackBerry needs to price every phone at 2000.00 and not a penny less. And don't spend one dime on advertising, customer support, or anything else that Apple does.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2876 / T-Mobile USA
    12-21-15 01:41 PM
    On Sat.12.19.15 the democratic debate was sponsored by "Blackberry Priv." Don't recall any mention about the capabilities of the device. A missed chance at public exposure?
    12-21-15 04:07 PM
54 123