Well the BB fiscal reports are out and it does not look good Priv/OS 10. Hand set sales are down year over year. The number is 65% off from last year. This includes all handsets, since BB does not break out individual results. HEY BB you need to advertise.......you know like Google with its catchy marshmallow song, for its Nexus hand sets. Or like LG and Samsung with great deals. You get one shot at the biggest sales event of the season and they do nothing? You can't make money or sell a product if you don't push your product.
    12-19-15 04:31 PM
    Ok

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 04:34 PM
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/blackber...ons-1450443088

This article is one day old talking about the earnings call, only thing it says about numbers is 700,000 this quarter vs 800,000+ last quarter but average selling price is up to 315$ instead of 240$ previous

So less phones but was higher average selling price because of PRIV

Where are you getting your info?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-19-15 05:47 PM
    The sales of the Priv will have an impact to their results only in the next quarter.
    12-19-15 05:57 PM
    The Priv came out at the end of the quarter, software is where BB makes the big bucks anyways.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-19-15 05:59 PM
    The sales of the Priv will have an impact to their results only in the next quarter.
    Im just reading the article.. I dont remember them talking about numbers during the earnings call so I dont know how WSJ got them

12-19-15 06:02 PM
    Blackberry stock is up. So not everyone agrees with you....

David Tyler likes this.
    12-19-15 06:18 PM
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/blackber...ons-1450443088

This article is one day old talking about the earnings call, only thing it says about numbers is 700,000 this quarter vs 800,000+ last quarter but average selling price is up to 315$ instead of 240$ previous

Where are you getting your info?

That is a LOT of assumption that the higher Aug selling price is specific to the Priv.

Passport itself carries a very high asp as well especially the Passport Silver Edition which is direct and retail only no subsidies to manage and reduce their revenue per device.

Personally I think BlackBerry should entirely exit out the low range BlackBerry device area. They cannot compete with a VERY crowded Android OEM space especially now the Taiwanese and soon Philippines manufacturers are going very strong!

Furthermore are the Privs actually factored in to the last earnings report, Fridays?

I say give us the Passport, Priv and Classic with some serious exotic materials like the very expensive Leather and even Carbon for the F1 editions... sell at $1000 CAN and get the upper niche of users and stars to flaunt them off.

BlackBerry it's time to create that thought of importance cause you're carrying a BlackBerry : remember early 2006?!

Anyone remember the Vertu lineup?!
    Bad news out today in the Wall Street Journal-images-3-.jpg

BlackBerry has already foreseen this with their Porsche partnership but it's been taking longer than previous (prior to BB10) lineups to debut.

Chen has already mentioned right now especially in terms of the Priv that he's focused on margins not volume. I think BlackBerry should continue with innovative designs in their hardware products and match pricing with features and specs to the high-mid to high range accordingly!

вιaсĸвεггч� Z10 via CB10 (Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2639) on BES12
    gfondeur and mister2d like this.
    12-19-15 07:03 PM
    The Priv came out at the end of the quarter, software is where BB makes the big bucks anyways.

Wrong. The majority of BlackBerry�s revenue still comes from hardware first!

12-19-15 07:04 PM
    Sell the news.
    12-19-15 07:15 PM
    Wrong. The majority of BlackBerry�s revenue still comes from hardware first!

If you are looking back at the failed BlackBerry then you are correct, if you look at the new BlackBerry or even jump back to the "prime days" of BlackBerry their $ has ALWAYS been in high profit margin software and subscription monies- essentially once MS ActiveSync and Exchange came into play no one had a reason to have a BlackBerry server or consumers had no reason to pay extra per month for the service they get for free on any other smart phone.

The extra fee was for a long time tied to any BlackBerry hardware so people left it, even if they wanted the hardware why pay extra for, what to the consumer sees as "push email" when it's free on everything else.

BlackBerry then attempted to move all their lost high margin money into hardware sales and BlackBerry 10- a poor choice as hardware margins are historically very low- and well...you should know the rest.

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    12-19-15 07:19 PM
    BlackBerry's earnings are up, device ASP is up, stock is up. We should be partying here. There's nothing, but good news. It defies logic to find anything negative with what BBRY is doing these days.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Priv
    12-19-15 07:28 PM
    You're kidding, right? Or do you get your news from a printed newspaper?

12-19-15 07:50 PM
    What it comes down to is margins... as mentioned.. the priv only sold in the last 3 weeks of the quarter... hardly an indicator of volume... BB has an unfortunate history of being secretive in unit volumes..... so no one really knows... as Chen has dropped the bar from 10 million a year to 5 million units.... if BB cannot sell that many to at least break even they should not be in the hardware business.... personally... I think if the Priv does not do well in the consumer market you will see BB drop Android completely and focus on niche BB10 devices for Enterprise customers.... they have too much invested in the hardware for high end customers who need rigid security standards....
    gfondeur, DarkJoker33 and acovey like this.
    12-19-15 08:09 PM
    read the WSJ page B 12.....news is news

I think you are spot on, the sad part of these forums is people confuse (wants and desires) with cold hard facts. I am a big BB user and fan. But the news in the WSJ was not good today, no matter how you sugar coat it. No advertising=crap sales plain and simple. You need to spend to get and they are not spending.

You really need to deal in the real world, the article in the WSJ B 12 is just the facts. BB has a bad habit of not coming clean on sales, then poof......the rubber meets the road. Also you need to look at the real numbers, the stock is up not because of handsets but the software side. People need to compare apples to apples or learn how to read a SEC filings.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 12-21-15 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Merging 4 in a row ... please avoid multiple for the sake of it, thanks !
    12-19-15 09:15 PM
    Blackberry and most would view the Priv as a relatively niche phone. Marketing with mass-market TV ads and stuff doesn't really fit a niche product marketing strategy so I don't think it's realistic for them to be considering TV ads on popular channels or billboards in crowded public areas.

They couldn't definitely market a bit harder, and with more quality (talking about some of those Internet ads here!) more, though...

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 09:27 PM
    You really need to deal in the real world, the article in the WSJ B 12 is just the facts. BB has a bad habit of not coming clean on sales, then poof......the rubber meets the road. Also you need to look at the real numbers, the stock is up not because of handsets but the software side. People need to compare apples to apples or learn how to read a SEC filings.
    This is the only place I know where people can find fault with a 20-25% increase in stock price in a quarter. Doesn't matter honestly if it's hardware or software TBH. The fact is that the majority of what blackberry is throwing at the wall is sticking and bodes well for the company's future.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Priv
    gfondeur, lactose and David Tyler like this.
    12-19-15 09:38 PM
    yes it does, but not as a hand set seller. That's my only point.
    -------------
    I still think even as a niche player, you need to get out with a slick ad. Think about the possibilities, with all that is going on in the world. Protect yourself and family.........get a BB.
    ------------
    not not really, most of their cash is coming in from software that they are marketing. Also from the 2 companies (security) they just finished with a takeover. One other point, this is not about feeling or wants, this is just market facts. BB has a reputation of releasing one bit of info but in the SEC filings another bit.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 12-21-15 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Merging 3 more posts : please use the quote button if you want to reply to a specific point.
    12-19-15 09:48 PM
    People need to compare apples to apples or learn how to read a SEC filings.
    Yes, we need to learn from a guy who gets his "news" from newspapers and can't properly respond to posts in crackberry. Use the "reply with quote" or name the person you're responding to.

"News is news"
    The WSJ bit is an article. The data was news when it came out at 7am yesterday. By the time you read it that night or the next day, it's too late to react.

The software results have their share of question marks. In my opinion, the stock reaction was due to the hardware biz still maintaining a heartbeat. Analysts are still valuing hardware at zero, so any positives on that part of the biz - sends the bears running.

And you should be happy - there are BlackBerry ads during the democratic debate tonight.

gfondeur, 21stNow and ce71 like this.
    12-19-15 10:06 PM

Revenue results this quarter do not agree with that statement, even if software grew over 180% and hardware dropped 65% compared to the same quarter last year.
    Hardware is still larger than software, despite the dramatic drop in phone sales and BlackBerry phone users. The priv did not help stem that decline.

Software revenues: 158M (up)
    Hardware revenue: 222M (down from a year ago 65%, up slightly from last quarter less than 7%).
    Only 700000 phones sold last quarter, down from 800000 the previous quarter.
    The priv sales were accounted according to Chen.
    There are other threads here that provide number estimates and a method to guesstimate them which Chen also validated in one of his interviews.
    Last edited by sorinv; 12-20-15 at 12:28 AM.
    Hedley9 likes this.
    12-20-15 12:14 AM
    We will have to wait until March for the Q4 earnings call but in the mean time less phones are still less phones. I mean, let's see if profits continue to rise if indicated in the Q4 call; but if total number of units sold dropped to 600K--that's not good. If you are not getting my drift, here it is: more revenue, yes, but also a shrinking market share even worse than when they were "BB10".

But hey, money is everything, right?
    12-20-15 01:57 AM
    I don't think some people here get it. Decline in volume with an increase in revenue is very very good. This means if BlackBerry comes back it will come back stronger than ever. Nothing certain but the upside is looking quite good...

Posted via CB10
    12-20-15 02:08 AM
    We will have to wait until March for the Q4 earnings call but in the mean time less phones are still less phones. I mean, let's see if profits continue to rise if indicated in the Q4 call; but if total number of units sold dropped to 600K--that's not good. If you are not getting my drift, here it is: more revenue, yes, but also a shrinking market share even worse than when they were "BB10".

But hey, money is everything, right?
    I see what your saying about market share, but let's face it.. right now for BlackBerry that should not be a factor as they currently have less than 1%..
    And besides market share is relative.. what do you define as the market? They are serving a niche right now, right? so in their particular target market they own a large percentage of share, which at the end of the day is just numbers that you can define any which way you want correct?

Now from a strictly business stand point.. (which is the topic of the thread I believe?)
    More money is more money plain and simple, if they sold ONE phone for a billion dollars it would put them in a better position, from a business stand point, than selling a billion phones for $0.05 which would give them leading market share

Its all relative my friend

DolemiteDONS likes this.
    12-20-15 03:24 AM
    Well the BB fiscal reports are out and it does not look good Priv/OS 10. Hand set sales are down year over year. The number is 65% off from last year. This includes all handsets, since BB does not break out individual results. HEY BB you need to advertise.......you know like Google with its catchy marshmallow song, for its Nexus hand sets. Or like LG and Samsung with great deals. You get one shot at the biggest sales event of the season and they do nothing? You can't make money or sell a product if you don't push your product.
    So what do you mean?

12-20-15 03:47 AM
    I think you are spot on, the sad part of these forums is people confuse (wants and desires) with cold hard facts. I am a big BB user and fan. But the news in the WSJ was not good today, no matter how you sugar coat it. No advertising=crap sales plain and simple. You need to spend to get and they are not spending.
    Financial articles of any kind are basically the tabloids of the business world. The wsj is probably just trying to save face after wrongly forecasting the q3 report.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/BT-CO-20151217-708443

BlackBerry sold around 150,000 privs in only 22 days according to some calculations causing ASP to increase to $315 from $240. This after only being released in 4 countries and on 1 major US carrier. They reported only a 3 cent loss per share when the consensus expected 14 or 15...even your precious wsj. They increased revenue by over 60 million from last quarter and Chen believes they could break even on handsets by next quarter. The street responded and the stock soured after the release of the report. Perhaps you should actually read the report yourself instead of relying on financial columns who consistently spin the facts to support their headlines.

BlackBerry's (BBRY) CEO John Chen on Q3 2016 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-20-15 at 06:31 AM.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-20-15 05:48 AM
54 123