It appears the American media will do everything in its power to take the wind out of BlackBerry's sales. The amount of false, negative media on this stock is incredible.

March is shaping up to be a scary month for BlackBerry BB.T +0.89%.

After finally launching a new BlackBery phone in January, RIM will face its first big test against its unseen new competition. The next Galaxy S smartphone from Samsung, thought to be called the Galaxy S IV, is expected next month on March 14.

Here’s why: After years of dominating the enterprise, a new wave “bring your own device” mentality has opened the door for the iPhone and Android to sweep market share right out from under BlackBerry.

RIM used to depend on lucrative deals with corporations and government agencies for the bulk of its business—in early 2007, ahead of Apple iPhone launch, corporate clients made up 71% of its subscriber base, according to an earlier report in The WSJ. But that percentage has shrunk to as little as 20% to 25%, according to analysts cited in that report.

Samsung has a couple advantages, the largest of which being that its most recent smartphone — the Galaxy S III — was considered by many to be a legitimate contender with the iPhone as one of the top consumer-oriented phones.

And being a top consumer-oriented phone has its advantages, especially when employees start bringing those phones to work and demanding to use them in lieu of corporate-issued phones, which has traditionally been BlackBerry’s strongest position.

The release date of the new BlackBerry 10 devices in the U.S. also still remains unclear. Several carriers have said they plan to introduce the Z10 model but not set a firm U.S. release date– so it’s possible the S IV will beat the new BlackBerry to the U.S. market.

Samsung also unleashed a marketing blitz to promote its devices as “safe” for work. All you have to do is look at the commercials it’s aired in recent days, which pretty openly trash BlackBerry:

The new Z10 phone is essentially make or break with BlackBerry, and it’s already missing some mission-critical apps that would put it in the same conversation as an iPhone or Samsung device — at least, when it comes to consumer smartphones.

And now it has Samsung coming straight for it. Not an enviable position, to be sure, given that Samsung has given Apple — one of the largest and most competent technology companies in the world — a serious run for its money.

We reached out to Research In Motion for comment, but haven’t heard back yet.
    Official link:
    March Madness: BlackBerry's Nightmare Is Starting to Emerge - Digits - WSJ
    02-25-13 02:26 PM
    They haven't heard back yet because they saw through the hatchet, half-a$$ed job the "journalist" was doing and couldn't be bothered to reply to such a numpty.

One, it's not Research In Motion anymore: journalist needs to learn their facts.

Two, it's easy enough saying they're "safe" but the fact is, you can't make a ship water-tight with gaffer tape.

Three, it's easy enough to go after Apple in the consumer market, but it's a whole different story when it comes to corporate customers who demand and need real security.

Four, .... actually I can't be bothered pulling this thing apart anymore. So, as the journalist of this piece did, I'm going to do a half-a$$ed job.

Thanks to the OP for the link

Si.
    02-25-13 02:44 PM
    For the record, they changed the stock symbol to BBRY and announced that they want to change the company name, but AFAIK Research in Motion is still the official corporate name, at least until a change of name is voted on by the shareholders.
    nquyen likes this.
    02-25-13 02:51 PM
    Hard to take an article seriously when the author cannot even get the company's name correct.... Yu-**..... the names's been changed to Blackbery.... as far as the article goes unsure what the issue is..... Sammy is a formitable competitor and is lauching the latest smarphone in theri arsenal......which is the gist of the of the peice.....
    02-25-13 02:51 PM
    Thanks for the link. Yeah, the American media is generally biased against Blackberry because it's not an "American" phone like the iPhone, assembled by Foxconn in China, or Samsung the uh, oh wait... I dunno, the press just don't like Blackberry in the U.S. overall. It's too bad as it will cost them sales, but after two weeks of using this phone I'm simply not worried about their future. I'm quite calm about it. I think it's gonna have a slow start (and will build) largely because of negative perceptions fostered by media. But once people actually use it, it's a different story. Not to mention the Z10 is NOT the only model of Blackberry phone that will be released! The Q10 is next, followed by a third (rumoured to be a larger screen on a par with Samsung's GIANT phones (which I personally dislike, I'd rather have a phone and a tablet but anyway), so Blackberry will "match the specs" of the newer Samsung and iPhones. NOW that BB10 is released, these new phones will be able to go into testing at carriers earlier so no more delays like the Z10 and Q10 me thinks in the future.

A lot of people "short sold" BB stock. IE they bet big that the company was going to fail. They can't be happy that it's still around and enjoying solid sales. They stand to lose money, so they're trying to kill it before it takes off (aka PLAYBOOK, the sequel). They will fail, but their efforts have likely hurt Blackberry sales short term. The best revenge will be the survival of the company and slow, steady growth on the back of the most advanced mobile operating system on the planet. And Samsung and Apple can't be happy about the new BB10 OS built on QNX, a micro kernel OS. Just because they're being quiet about it doesn't mean they haven't noticed. Heck, Samsung is working with Intel on its own new OS in favour of Android (or complimentary to it). So BB is definitely on the right track and ahead of everyone else in the game, which is a nice switch from the last few years...

Have faith!
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    02-25-13 02:58 PM
    I'm tired of these stupid articles.
    There is a very expressive spanish proverb to describe this : "No cabe un tonto m�s" (translation: "Full of idiots").

Keep calm and drink beer

PS (fedakd, your avatar is very cool )
    fedakd and jesse_h like this.
    02-25-13 03:00 PM
    I'm tired of these stupid articles.
    There is a very expressive spanish proverb to describe this : "No cabe un tonto m�s" (translation: "Full of idiots").

Keep calm and drink beer
    Nice. How about: Keep calm, drink beer and Carry a Blackberry? =) I actually made this poster as a joke and sent it to a few friends just before the launch of the new phone.
    Attached Thumbnails -img_0753.png  
    02-25-13 03:03 PM
    Nice. How about: Keep calm, drink beer and Carry a Blackberry? =)
    That does not fit in the poster ! It's a very long sentence
    02-25-13 03:11 PM
    your typical lazy journalism, they refer to sources that have it wrong, take it as gospel and then they come to the wrong conclusion,
    not the first time i see that happen, one day the reality will dawn on them, but in the meantime this separate universe journalism is taking the stock down with it....
    BlackQtCoder likes this.
    02-25-13 03:17 PM
    your typical lazy journalism, they refer to sources that have it wrong, take it as gospel and then they come to the wrong conclusion,
    not the first time i see that happen, one day the reality will dawn on them, but in the meantime this separate universe journalism is taking the stock down with it....
    That's true of most journalism these days I find... We live in a cut and paste society... To be fair, and I can't believe I'm saying this, the article wasn't nearly as bad as some others I've read. Forbes, for example... Ay yi yi, they must have short sold on the stock, or Apple secretly owns them, or Samsung. It's so over the top with a few of their "reporters", it's laughable. The bias is extreme, to the point that several have suggested they should be investigated by the SEC for attempting to manipulate the stock price. I agree, but am not holding my breath on that...
    02-25-13 03:32 PM
    That does not fit in the poster ! It's a very long sentence
    I know, I just came across the make your own "keep calm" site, and made it and sent it to a few of my friends as a joke. Still makes me smile though, especially in light of all the media hysteria that continues around Blackberry...
    02-25-13 03:33 PM
    I see the Sony Z is launching globally on 1st March and that phone is getting a lot of heat. Leaving that aside, if you really think that Samsung launching their flagship phone at the same time as the Z10 in the US is not causing a few sleepness nights at BBRY.. well... it's simply not realistic to think this would not a concern to any sensible organisation.
    02-25-13 03:39 PM
    I can't see how the Galaxy S4 will undermine BB10 / Z10 sales any more than the announcement of the HTC One or the existence of the Galaxy SIII or the iPhone 5.

I think the author of this article should be told that the Galaxy SIII exists, and that the iPhone 5 exists, and both are incredibly powerful, excellent devices! Until Android is revved to version 5 with a complete architecture redo and performance / multitasking is improved 10 fold, I'm not sure if there exists a single person who is saying to themselves "I'm a US citizen who is not satisfied with the Galaxy SIII or iPhone 5 and I am considering the BlackBerry 10 platform... but hold on, there's going to be an S4??? Nevermind BB10, I'll wait for that S4 which will be exactly like the SIII only... "harder, and more often"!

In video below, jump ahead to 7:21

swaxolez likes this.
    02-25-13 03:39 PM
    It appears the American media will do everything in its power to take the wind out of BlackBerry's sales. The amount of false, negative media on this stock is incredible.

Official link:
    March Madness: BlackBerry's Nightmare Is Starting to Emerge - Digits - WSJ

The United States is one of the most protectionist societies these days. In two more decades (if it takes that long) the US will be on a steep downward spiral to ruin.
    melb_me likes this.
    02-25-13 03:43 PM
    Thanks for the link. Yeah, the American media is generally biased against Blackberry because it's not an "American" phone like the iPhone, assembled by Foxconn in China, or Samsung the uh, oh wait... I dunno, the press just don't like Blackberry in the U.S. overall. It's too bad as it will cost them sales, but after two weeks of using this phone I'm simply not worried about their future. I'm quite calm about it. I think it's gonna have a slow start (and will build) largely because of negative perceptions fostered by media. But once people actually use it, it's a different story. Not to mention the Z10 is NOT the only model of Blackberry phone that will be released! The Q10 is next, followed by a third (rumoured to be a larger screen on a par with Samsung's GIANT phones (which I personally dislike, I'd rather have a phone and a tablet but anyway), so Blackberry will "match the specs" of the newer Samsung and iPhones. NOW that BB10 is released, these new phones will be able to go into testing at carriers earlier so no more delays like the Z10 and Q10 me thinks in the future.

A lot of people "short sold" BB stock. IE they bet big that the company was going to fail. They can't be happy that it's still around and enjoying solid sales. They stand to lose money, so they're trying to kill it before it takes off (aka PLAYBOOK, the sequel). They will fail, but their efforts have likely hurt Blackberry sales short term. The best revenge will be the survival of the company and slow, steady growth on the back of the most advanced mobile operating system on the planet. And Samsung and Apple can't be happy about the new BB10 OS built on QNX, a micro kernel OS. Just because they're being quiet about it doesn't mean they haven't noticed. Heck, Samsung is working with Intel on its own new OS in favour of Android (or complimentary to it). So BB is definitely on the right track and ahead of everyone else in the game, which is a nice switch from the last few years...

Have faith!

Does Obama still have a BlackBerry?
    02-25-13 03:47 PM
    The United States is one of the most protectionist societies these days. In two more decades (if it takes that long) the US will be on a steep downward spiral to ruin.
    Yep that is why they stopped Samsung getting a foothold... oh wait...
    02-25-13 04:13 PM
    Here's a more reliable article on the subject. . .Why Samsung Won't Beat Blackberry in the Mobile Enterprise

Why Samsung Won't Beat Blackberry in the Mobile Enterprise
    Samsung Safe aims to make Android phones better for the enterprise,
    but using the least secure mobile OS out there and ignoring the IT-ready BlackBerry might not be a good move.

By Rob Enderle
    Fri, February 22, 2013 inShare.
    CIO — Earlier this week I was asked to review the Samsung Safe offering, which is being rolled out to make Samsung's Android phones more acceptable to the enterprise. Safe reminds me a lot of what vendors from Netscape to Sony did to address what they thought were enterprise needs and often showcased without actually speaking to their own IT organizations.
    The issue comes down to the general tendency for technology companies to be run by engineers with no IT experience and therefore no real clue about what a business IT organization—including their own—actually does.
    IT, when done right, is largely transparent. As a result, it's often taken for granted. This makes it hard to build products for IT without engaging IT and hiring people with significant IT experience to work on the effort.

BlackBerry: Keeping IT in Mind From the Beginning
    BlackBerry started with businesses as its primary customers. Then known as Research in Motion, the company initially brought the two-way pager into the mainstream—and, unlike today's typical smartphones and tablets, these actually entered the market as executive tools, not consumer products. From the very start, the company had to learn what IT needed and how to protect top executives. These were lessons hard learned.

Look at BlackBerry security efforts, then, and you see that they start and end with targeted IT needs. BlackBerry ties its systems into IT policy, assuring that IT can easily get the devices to conform. This is critical; IT doesn't have the time to manage everything that's currently on the table, and BlackBerry is designed to assure compliance without significantly increasing IT overhead.

One of the most talked-about problems since the introduction of the smartphone is separating personal and corporate information. This is because IT doesn't want to deal with personal apps and files, and users don't want IT seeing their personal stuff.
    BlackBerry separates the environments on its devices, giving the user his own space and letting IT manage and secure the business information under its control. This is unique in the market—and it was driven by IT demands for this feature.

When developing its unique tablet, the BlackBerry PlayBook, the company tied it to its overall security framework and sandboxed the apps so they can't do hostile things. Looking at the overall nature of email and application attacks, BlackBerry created permissions and monitoring components that directly address the damage these attacks can cause, even though BlackBerry platform is generally less likely to be attacked than one of the consumer platforms.

Samsung: Start With an Insecure Platform, Bolt on Security
    Samsung, in contrast, created Safe. The company started with Android, the only platform actively being blocked by IT organizations due to security concerns. I was at an event last year where McAfee showcased that an Android phone can be remotely attacked, put into a loop, overheat and catastrophically fail.

Meanwhile, Kaspersky recently discovered spy software that turns on the microphone of the Android devices, recording what's being said in the room. Finally, SophosLabs documented five classes of hostile Android apps. Some, once installed, automatically install additional apps, send identity information to the attacker, or hijack social network accounts.
    So Samsung started with a platform that, by any reasonable measure, provides inadequate security for personal use, let alone business use. Ideally, to fix the problem, the company should have done what Amazon did with the Kindle and forked the code, creating a unique and more secure version of Android that wouldn't be as vulnerable.

Instead, Samsung went with mobile device management (MDM)—which, in the case of a vulnerable platform, only makes IT more responsible for adverse results but doesn't address the core security problems. The company implemented encryption, which can protect the files unless a user's identity is stolen, which unfortunately is the purpose of much Android malware. Samsung also installed a VPN, which actually makes a compromised device more dangerous, because VPNs tunnel through the perimeter security of a business, potentially granting even greater access to the attacker. Finally, the company made email connectivity improvements, which also giving an attacker greater access via a compromised phone.
    All in all, this showcases that Samsung, a broad-based manufacturing company, doesn't understand IT needs nor the actual vulnerabilities that IT needs to address. For a period last year, Samsung phones were less secure than other Android phones.

One of These Things Is Not Like the Other
    Generally, when a company is new to IT, it takes an existing product and patches it to look IT-like. Then, upon learning that that approach sucks, it goes back and creates a product from scratch that's designed specifically to meet its compliance and security needs.

Android, as it is, is too insecure to patch this way. Samsung may eventually realize that Blackberry and even Apple are closer to the mark; both companies control their own platform in order to provide an acceptable business solution. In the end, when you compare BlackBerry to Samsung, you can see that BlackBerry is an enterprise vendor. Samsung, not so much.

Rob Enderle is president and principal analyst of the Enderle Group. Previously, he was the Senior Research Fellow for Forrester Research and the Giga Information Group. Prior to that he worked for IBM and held positions in Internal Audit, Competitive Analysis, Marketing, Finance and Security. Currently, Enderle writes on emerging technology, security and Linux for a variety of publications and appears on national news TV shows that include CNBC, FOX, Bloomberg and NPR.
    Follow everything from CIO.com on Twitter @CIOonline, Facebook, Google + and LinkedIn.
    02-25-13 04:16 PM
    ^good article above.

as for the Galaxy S4, it will likely sell for over $700 and cannibalize S3 sales. Hopefully buys will compare it side-by-side with the Z10 and informed decisions will win the day
    02-25-13 05:12 PM
    Perhaps you could point out what is false about this story?

March is shaping up to be a scary month for BlackBerry BB.T +0.89%.
    Nothing false here, March will be a scary month for RIM (currently Doing Business As BlackBerry).

After finally launching a new BlackBery phone in January, RIM will face its first big test against its unseen new competition. The next Galaxy S smartphone from Samsung, thought to be called the Galaxy S IV, is expected next month on March 14.
    Absolutely true. The release of Samsung's new Galaxy S will be a test for the Z10.

Here’s why: After years of dominating the enterprise, a new wave “bring your own device” mentality has opened the door for the iPhone and Android to sweep market share right out from under BlackBerry.
    Don't see anything false here. BYOD is becoming increasingly popular, and with every non-BB device, marketshare is being eroded.

RIM used to depend on lucrative deals with corporations and government agencies for the bulk of its business—in early 2007, ahead of Apple iPhone launch, corporate clients made up 71% of its subscriber base, according to an earlier report in The WSJ. But that percentage has shrunk to as little as 20% to 25%, according to analysts cited in that report.
    This statement is correct. Here's the link. Now perhaps the WSJ was incorrect, but this article is not.

Samsung has a couple advantages, the largest of which being that its most recent smartphone — the Galaxy S III — was considered by many to be a legitimate contender with the iPhone as one of the top consumer-oriented phones.
    Another statement that I don't see as being false. Judging by sales the S III is a legitimate contender with the iPhone?

And being a top consumer-oriented phone has its advantages, especially when employees start bringing those phones to work and demanding to use them in lieu of corporate-issued phones, which has traditionally been BlackBerry’s strongest position.
    I would consider the demand to use top consumer devices as BYOD to be an advantage.

Samsung also unleashed a marketing blitz to promote its devices as “safe” for work. All you have to do is look at the commercials it’s aired in recent days, which pretty openly trash BlackBerry:
    This statement is true, Samsung's SAFE are trying to promote its devices as safe, and it's commercial does openly trash BlackBerry.

The new Z10 phone is essentially make or break with BlackBerry, and it’s already missing some mission-critical apps that would put it in the same conversation as an iPhone or Samsung device — at least, when it comes to consumer smartphones.
    I wouldn't disagree with the Z10 being make or break and high demand apps such as Skype (announced but not here yet), Netflix, Instagram, Google Maps are missing.

And now it has Samsung coming straight for it. Not an enviable position, to be sure, given that Samsung has given Apple — one of the largest and most competent technology companies in the world — a serious run for its money.
    Don't see anything false about this statement.

Maybe this is false, I don't know, I'm guessing the author asked RIM (DBA BlackBerry) for comment but hasn't heard anything yet.

Is this report positive for BlackBerry? No. But, I'm just not seeing the false statements.
    02-25-13 05:14 PM
    Damn, that's just dandy. BB will have some intense competition coming right up!
    02-25-13 05:27 PM
    Hard to take an article seriously when the author cannot even get the company's name correct.... Yu-**..... the names's been changed to Blackbery.... as far as the article goes unsure what the issue is..... Sammy is a formitable competitor and is lauching the latest smarphone in theri arsenal......which is the gist of the of the peice.....
    People claiming RIM's name is Blackberry are starting to annoy me. The name isn't finalized yet!!! Calling RIM "Blackberry" at this moment would be bad journalism. Calling it RIM is the only correct name.
    02-25-13 05:54 PM
    Samsung IV, Note 2 or 3 or whatever, HTC One or Two or whatever. Basically all running Android Jellybean with the same interface and same capabilities. The design might look nicer or the screen a little larger but I agree with an earlier remark - cannibalization. There is nothing really new or refreshing with the Android OS. It still relies on the pop in, pop out mentality to check messages. I don't consider them a threat at all. And SAFE is still an absolute joke. Any smartphone where the operator has the potential to root/jailbreak the phone immediately has the effect of compromising any security. Corporations that buy into this BS seriously need to think about the missing E and either stick with BES or get BES. Enough BS!
    02-25-13 06:02 PM
    Ive never owned a Galaxy phone and im already getting Galaxy fatigue.
    02-25-13 06:03 PM
    02-25-13 07:28 PM
    The ace in the hole for BB here is the fact the BB launch in the US will approximate the quaRterly report.... if BB quarterlies goes better than the US analysts expect there will be tons of free PR for BB... and a lot of red faces... could be worth all the negativity......
    02-25-13 07:34 PM
38 12