The Buy-Apple Inc, Sell-BlackBerry Ltd trade has flipped | Financial Post

Found this article today on the financial post, great to see some positive headlines for a change! Go BlackBerry!

Via The BlackBerry Z10 Experience.
    rai187 likes this.
    02-25-14 04:17 PM
    Hopefully the tide hasn't only turned when it comes to stocks. Maybe we'll also see a change in the media...

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    rai187 likes this.
    02-25-14 04:29 PM
    I would hope so, BB10 OS, browser, and keyboard are all the best on the market , yet the media portrays them as old and behind by writing articles on BB10 but showing a BB 7 device! Or writing reviews that say "they are okay" after using it for 10 minutes.

This isn't your grandfather's BlackBerry anymore! This is BB 10!

CarGuy1368 likes this.
    02-25-14 04:44 PM
    Lol. Hopefully people don't look to the writer for real financial analysis. Try comparing the last year or 2 or 3.

Sent from my  using Tapatalk
    02-25-14 05:31 PM
    I would hope so, BB10 OS, browser, and keyboard are all the best on the market , yet the media portrays them as old and behind by writing articles on BB10 but showing a BB 7 device! Or writing reviews that say "they are okay" after using it for 10 minutes.

This isn't your grandfather's BlackBerry anymore! This is BB 10!

Im sure the new device with the badly outdated trackpad and tool belt will help this cause. Ive speant so much time trying to get people I know to realize that isnt how the "new" blackberrys are. Smh

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 06:40 PM
    Im sure the new device with the badly outdated trackpad and tool belt will help this cause. Ive speant so much time trying to get people I know to realize that isnt how the "new" blackberrys are. Smh

Posted via CB10
    Yes, and so have many others, we all have tried to show others the new BB way! However, keeping your options open isn't always a bad thing if you aren't blowing cash to do it.
    Why can't we have a 3.5 inch qwerty with a trackpad if it's done right? Of course this only works if they stick to creating a high end 5+ inch full touchscreen device with mind blowing speed and top of the line specs to go with it! (within its limits) I don't care for specs as much as many, but it still has to be ahead of it's competitors! Looking forward to the next 6-18 months, definitely not there yet.

02-26-14 12:59 AM
    What goes up must come down. Hope apple has new OS to pull out the apple hat. Wonder what they going to steal and repackage in the new iPhone's to keep the iSheep from escaping. Would love to see this on BGR and the Verge.
    02-26-14 05:18 AM
    Lol. Hopefully people don't look to the writer for real financial analysis. Try comparing the last year or 2 or 3.

Don't be sour now. Actually apples stock has been in decline for awhile. Remember Warren Buffets words.
    02-26-14 05:22 AM
    Don't be sour now. Actually apples stock has been in decline for awhile. Remember Warren Buffets words.
    I have no reason to be sour, I don't own apple/blackberry stock.

02-26-14 05:23 AM
    I have no reason to be sour, I don't own apple/blackberry stock.

Sure.
    02-26-14 05:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    Thats why they named them BB Classic! So people will differientiate with the no trackpad versions

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-26-14 05:39 AM
    I've learned that the amount of bashing AAPL will take will be directly proportional to the amount of short positions taken and by whom......

CB10'n it via da Z
    zyben likes this.
    02-26-14 06:03 AM
    I've learned that the amount of bashing AAPL will take will be directly proportional to the amount of short positions taken and by whom......

CB10'n it via da Z
    LOL

Apple such a closed system. The way they tie you in feels like you renting it. Maybe BB was a year behind but Apple is two years behind now.
    Breezygirl8 likes this.
    02-26-14 06:24 AM
    LOL

Apple such a closed system. The way they tie you in feels like you renting it. Maybe BB was a year behind but Apple is two years behind now.
    Yes but to be fair, so was BlackBerry.

02-26-14 02:16 PM
    Relax. Apple isn't going anywhere but up. But BlackBerry was priced like a company going out of business. Now that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think both companies are going to have great years. For apple it's biggest competitor, samsung has announced its next flagship and it doesn't seem so great. And apple probably has some new device to announce in the next few months.

BlackBerry is announcing new phones and still rolling out its os. We are still waiting for 10.2 here in the US. While BBM continues to be improved and gain exceptance; with the WhatsApp pricing casting a spotlight on the whole space.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 07:47 PM
    Thats why they named them BB Classic! So people will differientiate with the no trackpad versions

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    They didn't name it BB Classic. That is John's personal preference for calling it, but he acknowledged everyone around him did not like that.
    02-26-14 09:07 PM
    Relax. Apple isn't going anywhere but up. But BlackBerry was priced like a company going out of business. Now that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think both companies are going to have great years. For apple it's biggest competitor, samsung has announced its next flagship and it doesn't seem so great. And apple probably has some new device to announce in the next few months.

BlackBerry is announcing new phones and still rolling out its os. We are still waiting for 10.2 here in the US. While BBM continues to be improved and gain exceptance; with the WhatsApp pricing casting a spotlight on the whole space.

Posted via CB10
    Why would you think that? Do you think that margins and quantity can continue to increase? Salaries in Asia are going up all the time. Competition for higher spec devices for lower cost will eat into Apple profits. Apple and other silicon valley companies can no longer rely on their illegal agreement not to poach talent from other companies, and so the cycle of losing quality developers and having to pay higher to get quality engineers will increase their costs. I've read a few blogs from current and former Microsoft employees who talk about genius' being hired away from Microsoft, leaving them in the lurch on various projects over the years because the heavy hitters up and leave for more $$$. You'll see a lot more of that between the Twitters, FB's, Apple's, google's, etc.

No one is going to get Jony Ive away from Apple, but he doesn't write code anyways. But a lot of success can be attributed to certain talented people, and they may not have Apple juice running through their body to resist truckloads of money from the competition.
    02-26-14 09:15 PM
    Why would you think that? Do you think that margins and quantity can continue to increase? Salaries in Asia are going up all the time. Competition for higher spec devices for lower cost will eat into Apple profits.
    Apple is a premium brand that does not make commodity products. Only Apple makes iOS, Macs, OSX, iPads and iPhones. There is no other premium brand that commands at least 20% market share of every product category they are in.

Apple's margins have been consistent for twenty years. This is not going to change in the foreseeable future.

And for the record, Apple has always added more features, and added more power while keeping their prices the same or lower. This is a result of their buying power. Apple pre-pays suppliers so they get huge discounts, and with their volumes, no one can match the costs and service they get from their suppliers.

So Apple gets their parts cheaper, and sells them at the same price (or close to) than before and therefore margins are actually RAISED. Granted some products are more aggressively priced (iPads), but overall, margins are maintained.
    03-07-14 09:54 AM
    Apple is a premium brand that does not make commodity products. Only Apple makes iOS, Macs, OSX, iPads and iPhones. There is no other premium brand that commands at least 20% market share of every product category they are in.

Apple's margins have been consistent for twenty years. This is not going to change in the foreseeable future.

And for the record, Apple has always added more features, and added more power while keeping their prices the same or lower. This is a result of their buying power. Apple pre-pays suppliers so they get huge discounts, and with their volumes, no one can match the costs and service they get from their suppliers.

So Apple gets their parts cheaper, and sells them at the same price (or close to) than before and therefore margins are actually RAISED. Granted some products are more aggressively priced (iPads), but overall, margins are maintained.
    1. Mac market share has never cracked 10% (AFAIK).
    2. Apple's margins have not been consistent for 20 years. They never sold iphones and ipads for 20 years. They don't even have consistent margins across all product lines. The iphones have unprecedented margins in the 50% range, which is partially because of carrier subsidization. ipads only have about a 25% margin, and sell far less, because they are not subsidized. 50% margin on phones is NOT sustainable forever. With phones being upgraded sooner than in previous years, carriers will not subsidize as much in the future. There is also significant competition from low end and low margin products and reduction in price for other flag ship phones. The average cost of a phone is coming down. Some Apple investors want to sacrifice margins in order to get into the emerging market, lower margin gains for long term platform protection. Apple products are manufactured in China, which has a growing economy and middle class, increasing wages and costs. Apple is behind in the hardware front (USB, NFC, SD, RAM, etc). They'll need to catch up at some point, increasing cost and royalty payments.

It is because they have exceptionally high margins, that they will reduce in the future, causing a stock tumble (it even went down on news of highest sales ever because it still never lived up to certain expectations...). If profit margin was lower, there is a better chance of sustaining it. But not at the current levels, not for 1-2 years more.

Apple heavily relies on their image and the public's need to keep up with the Jones. They are popular because of their brand. A change in brand perception can have a heavy impact on future sales. iOS is getting old and kludgy, and they'll need to do another OS makeover in the next year or two to bring proper multitasking and other features.
    Breezygirl8 likes this.
    03-07-14 02:48 PM