A vote on taking Dell private is just around the corner. Carl Ichan aside, Michael Dell wants to restructure Dell in an "IT Services" company. What kind of IT services? Software based only, or software and hardware? Without having any detail, could BB could be an early target for the new Dell if Michael Dell succeeds in taking his company private?

Update: Today Silver Lake was reported to have talked to Blackberry. Interestingly, a query to the head of Canada Pension Plan was answered in that participation in taking Blackberry private would be seriously looked at. Silver Lake had CPC as a partner taking Skype private before selling to Microsoft for a 300% profit. Silver Lake is behind taking Dell private and that will likely happen early September. If Blackberry management is considering going private, it is because Silver Lake approached Blackberry. Blackberry would be a good fit for Dell. Taking Blackberry private could happen soon after Dell goes private so both companies can be merged. Also, Silver Lake could easily take Blackberry private as the deal size would be small for them at say $7-$10 billion. Merging Blackberry with Dell would put Dell in the lead for IT services to enterprise, they could make and sell BES10 servers, OS10 phones and in vehicle tablet size screens for the auto sector and military, provide software and MDM, security services and be well positioned for M2M for both enterprise and consumers.
    Last edited by robin11; 08-09-13 at 05:48 PM.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    07-17-13 04:43 PM
    What would Dell gain by buying BB?
    07-17-13 06:31 PM
    A world wide secure network that no one else has....just for starters.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 06:37 PM
    DELL believes in non-proprietary open platforms like Windows, Android, Linux, etc. they don't believe in closed proprietary platforms like BB.
    07-17-13 06:38 PM
    DELL believes in non-proprietary open platforms like Windows, Android, Linux, etc. they don't believe in closed proprietary platforms like BB.
    Is that because they don't own one (yet)?

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 07:05 PM
    Dell is such a mess right now, I couldn't see them acquiring anything.
    07-17-13 07:38 PM
    A world wide secure network that no one else has....just for starters.
    And this would be what? BIS? BES5? BES10?

How would any of these make significant money for Dell?
    07-18-13 12:08 AM
    And this would be what? BIS? BES5? BES10?

How would any of these make significant money for Dell?
    Would be none of them...would be a world wide secure OTA network to push their software...as per the OP.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 12:14 AM
    Is that because they don't own one (yet)?

Posted via CB10
    no. that's just their philosophy.
    07-18-13 06:19 AM
    Your comment mentioning Windows makes absolutely no sense
    peter9477 likes this.
    07-18-13 06:28 AM
    I can certainly see Dell and BlackBerry enter into a partnership. An acquisition is probably unlikely. Though I am not sure if that would be be helpful to BB. An IBM partnership or acquisition might be more attractive.
    07-18-13 06:30 AM
    the Windows "platform" is open and non-proprietary in the sense that the OS is available to multiple (any) hardware vendors who wish to license it. this is different than Apple and BB models which are closed and proprietary in the sense that they are limited to the one manufacturer - the same manufacturer of both the OS and the hardware. this is not DELL's model and has never been. DELL believes in open, non-proprietary, industry standard solutions.
    07-18-13 06:44 AM
    the Windows "platform" is open and non-proprietary in the sense that the OS is available to multiple (any) hardware vendors who wish to license it. this is different than Apple and BB models which are closed and proprietary in the sense that they are limited to the one manufacturer - the same manufacturer of both the OS and the hardware. this is not DELL's model and has never been. DELL believes in open, non-proprietary, industry standard solutions.
    Well..Delll share holders believe in making money. That's not happening.
    07-18-13 06:50 AM
    Then why do they not sell a single UNIX system? And why can you only buy laptops running windows (no os not an option)

Dell doesn't give a darn, look how bad they have been with alien ware.

Posted via CB from my LE
    07-18-13 06:51 AM
    it's not their model. it's not happening. give up the pipe dream.
    07-18-13 07:03 AM
    I can certainly see Dell and BlackBerry enter into a partnership. An acquisition is probably unlikely. Though I am not sure if that would be be helpful to BB. An IBM partnership or acquisition might be more attractive.
    Why? IBM got out of hardware.
    07-18-13 07:50 AM
    Dell already offers IT Consulting services, and have been for many years. They are looking to replicate the IBM model. I can see them buying BB, but only for the MDM business, which is worth probably a lot less than a billion right now. I think IDC said that the global MDM market, including BB, Good Technology and others, has sales of 370 million or so right now, growing to maybe $5 billion in a few years time.
    07-18-13 10:13 AM
    Merging two struggling companies is usually a bad idea. Mergers are tough and for one to be successful, one or both companies should be strong and growing. Generally, a merger is to complement a growing business, not to save two failing ones.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-18-13 03:13 PM
    the Windows "platform" is open and non-proprietary in the sense that the OS is available to multiple (any) hardware vendors who wish to license it.
    This may be called open, but it's certainly also proprietary. Microsoft owns the platform outright, and it's as proprietary an OS as BB10 is. I think you're the first person I've ever heard refer to a Microsoft OS as non-proprietary.
    07-18-13 05:00 PM