With blackberry being bought for a bargain; it would make sense for Amazon to pay a little premium and just acquire BlackBerry.

They the only major player, ecosystem wise, to compete with top 3 dogs. They could easily reclaim the 3rd place if they act fast enough. MSFT is slow as heck but there is currently no threat from BlackBerry, or any other company, so they are taking their time.

I truly believe that Amazon has a chance here to revive and momentize BB10 which is a wonderful OS. It's really making me sad to see die they way it's dying.

What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 07:44 PM
    I would love that idea if Amazon got their entire Android catalog ported to BB10 and PlayBook.
    10-01-13 08:15 PM
    I can see how it would help BlackBerry. The more important question, though, is how would it help Amazon?
    10-01-13 08:18 PM
    I don't see how Amazon would benefit... nor would I see the point in BB devices running Fire OS (Android fork).
    10-01-13 08:25 PM
    It sure would. Amazon is trying to penetrate the tablets market and I think it's market is limited to certain countries. They obviously don't have the capacity to expand worldwide and are not planning to stay as a marketplace forever.

Acquiring BlackBerry would be the first, and most important, step to really push BB10 as an OS, ecosystem, and hardware worldwide. They have the brand recognition and cash to back it up. And BlackBerry is their only shot to compete in such a tough market.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 08:27 PM
    I don't see how Amazon would benefit... nor would I see the point in BB devices running Fire OS (Android fork).
    They would drop android and use BB10, of course.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 08:28 PM
    They would drop android and use BB10, of course.

Posted via CB10
    then again who would develop app for them? same problem as blackberry.

But amazon stock is overvalued, to say if they just value bbry in stock for $12 a share, it still does not harm AMZN, yet I do not see how can bb help amzn.
    10-01-13 08:45 PM
    I think it is a perfect fit.
    The current fireos apps would like run on the android player.
    They would have phones which they don't currently have. They could migrate fireos apps to bb10 over time.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:00 PM
    I don't see what Amazon gets out of this unless they have some secret desire to enter the phone market, which would be pretty insane but who knows? One thing I've wonder though is if BlackBerry could make a deal with them to give BB10 devices access to the Amazon App Marketplace, so that users could browse, purchase, and directly download android apps without having to convert and sideload them. BB10 will never meet the requirements for the Google Play Store but perhaps Amazon would be a little more receptive. I guess it also probably depends on the agreements they have with the devs whose stuff they distribute as to what sort of devices they are willing to support, etc.
    10-01-13 09:06 PM
    It sure would. Amazon is trying to penetrate the tablets market and I think it's market is limited to certain countries. They obviously don't have the capacity to expand worldwide and are not planning to stay as a marketplace forever.

Acquiring BlackBerry would be the first, and most important, step to really push BB10 as an OS, ecosystem, and hardware worldwide. They have the brand recognition and cash to back it up. And BlackBerry is their only shot to compete in such a tough market.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry has failed on the market, why would Amazon want to disrupt there current product, which runs on the most popular platform, that costs them nothing, to run on a platform that no one wants, which they'll have to buy, and which they will have to develop?

Your looking through Blackberry lenses, it does nothing for Amazon
    10-01-13 09:19 PM
    Amazon wants content delivery systems. With BlackBerry they get mobile and with an they get the automotive...i'm sure they could also leverage the bb10 os for a connected set top box without too much trouble.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:22 PM
    Blackberry has failed on the market, why would Amazon want to disrupt there current product, which runs on the most popular platform, that costs them nothing, to run on a platform that no one wants, which they'll have to buy, and which they will have to develop?

Your looking through Blackberry lenses, it does nothing for Amazon
    The real question is; why did BlackBerry fail?

- Management
    - Management
    - Management
    - Very conservative spending on marketing
    - No enough cash to back up BB10

OTOH, Amazon would resolve all of the above; and no, it's not too late.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 03:47 AM
    then again who would develop app for them? same problem as blackberry.

But amazon stock is overvalued, to say if they just value bbry in stock for $12 a share, it still does not harm AMZN, yet I do not see how can bb help amzn.
    Look at WP8 app store; it's now miles ahead of BBW, in no time. Who would've thought that they would surpass BB? They paid real money and backed up their OS. It's all about marketing.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 03:50 AM
    Makes no sense for Amazon, they don't need a phone OS especially one with the baggage that BB10
    caries, they have already forked Android i.e they are independent from Google & they have already built up an app store of their own.

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_995 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-02-13 04:31 AM
    Once again, Google is your friend. Amazon says they aren't interested. Still.
    10-02-13 07:42 AM
    Sorry, nice fantasy, but it doesn't make sense and it won't happen.

Tablets are primarily a consumption device, and Amazon sells those with their own OS to sell stuff, which is their main business. They have little to gain from making their own cellphone, and nothing to gain at all from buying BBRY.

(Besides, if they would make a cellphone, it would make a lot more sense for them to use their own Fire OS, rather than spend the money and the effort to acquire a failed OS from Blackberry)

Sorry, but BB10 in itself isn't enough to buy BBRY. Nobody is interested, otherwise surely we'd see somebody license it, after BBRY has tried to license it out for a year.
    10-02-13 07:49 AM
    With blackberry being bought for a bargain; it would make sense for Amazon to pay a little premium and just acquire BlackBerry.

They the only major player, ecosystem wise, to compete with top 3 dogs. They could easily reclaim the 3rd place if they act fast enough. MSFT is slow as heck but there is currently no threat from BlackBerry, or any other company, so they are taking their time.

I truly believe that Amazon has a chance here to revive and momentize BB10 which is a wonderful OS. It's really making me sad to see die they way it's dying.

What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    what eco system? if ppl want app can amazon supply it? or do you means book music and video only?
    10-02-13 09:43 AM
    There will be no White Knight buyers to come in and save BBRY and BB10. Not Amazon and not anyone else.

The only reason to buy BBRY now is because you think BB10 can be saved. But who wants to sink money into an OS that has been soundly rejected by the market? What would BB10 give Amazon that they don't already have in Android? BBRY is a sinking ship and BB10 is an anchor. Any buyout of BBRY will mean the death of BB10.

If a buyer wants BBM, they don't need to waste money on BB10.
    If a buyer wants BES, the service is declining and BB10 just fragments that service.
    If a buyer wants patents, BB10 doesn't help.
    If a buyer wants engineers, they're already for hire because of layoffs.
    If a buyer wants BB7 sales, they're declining and users have no upgrade path to BB10.

If a buyer wants an OS for their handset business, they have a mature open source OS in Android with a mature app ecosystem and low engineering costs. Or, they could spend a lot of money to buy and support BB10, with few apps, low adoption rate, and a lot of engineering costs necessary to bring it up to feature parity with Android.

Why would Amazon throw away all the work they've done to take a step backward with BB10?
    10-02-13 09:44 AM
    Makes no sense for Amazon, as they use their devices as a means to sell content (media and products). This is very similar to the way Google operates in using devices to sell services and advertising.

They are not in the hardware business whatsoever and educating its millions of customers on BB10 (what it is, how to use it, and why they have switched) is entirely unnecessary, costly and honestly impossible to accomplish.
    10-02-13 10:29 AM