What is going on?
    No one is buying into the hoopla.....?
    10-09-14 03:43 PM
    If your basing your thoughts on movements within a one or two week period your not an investor your a trader or more commonly known as a gambler. Do yourselves a favor if you are in for the short term move take the money go to Vegas and put it all on the line at some craps table your more likely to have success. If your an investor then you look at the short term sell off as a buying opportunity. It kills me when people base their opinion on short term selling. This is also tax loss selling season and usually one of the worst months of the year for investors. Buying starts up again between nov- Feb which are the best months historically for stocks. Be aware be informed and be in for the long term otherwise don't cry when you lose your shirt.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-12-14 09:55 PM
    If your basing your thoughts on movements within a one or two week period your not an investor your a trader or more commonly known as a gambler. Do yourselves a favor if you are in for the short term move take the money go to Vegas and put it all on the line at some craps table your more likely to have success. If your an investor then you look at the short term sell off as a buying opportunity. It kills me when people base their opinion on short term selling. This is also tax loss selling season and usually one of the worst months of the year for investors. Buying starts up again between nov- Feb which are the best months historically for stocks. Be aware be informed and be in for the long term otherwise don't cry when you lose your shirt.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I wouldn't say BlackBerry has performed all that well long term either. I first started watching BBRY back as it was around $40 a share a few years ago.... There have been a few ups and downs since it's fall a few years ago, but it has been in ht $8 - $9 range for a long time. And I sure wouldn't call it anything but a gamble right now.

BBRY is for TRADERS. If you want an Investment for a few years from now, you need to look else where until BlackBerry has proven itself.
    10-14-14 07:28 AM
    I wouldn't rule it out as an investment at this time, it's simply a risky one, and the market has expressed that by keeping the price in the $8-10 range. There is substantial risk for BlackBerry and it isn't in the mobile sector that we are all so fond of, investors are more interested in the long term potential in Enterprise and IoT, with IoT being a major wildcard at this time for all companies involved.

This price drop is an excellent opportunity to build up your stake in BlackBerry at a good price, but it should be a long position, as that is where BlackBerry has the best potential. Sure, you can buy now for $9 and sell at $11 which is likely to be seen again before the end of calendar 2014 (if Passport keeps it's steam and Classic is well received + revenue growth and strengthening cash position), but the true investment will be to buy it now with the hope of it going into the $12- 20 range next year when the fruits of the labour of the new management truly begin to show. BBRY is a volatile stock and should be viewed as risky, as the future in enterprise could still be compromised, handset marketshare could remain stale and many IoT investments could become worthless if a better solution is brought forward by competitors and gains traction.

It seems that Chen is playing with the books and limiting his risks, he wants to show that the company is getting things in line and we should see better results further in the future, he is more interested in showing stability right now, this focus will shift to growth in next couple quarters.

BB for Life
    doctor gonzo likes this.
    10-14-14 06:36 PM
    I wouldn't rule it out as an investment at this time, it's simply a risky one, and the market has expressed that by keeping the price in the $8-10 range. There is substantial risk for BlackBerry and it isn't in the mobile sector that we are all so fond of, investors are more interested in the long term potential in Enterprise and IoT, with IoT being a major wildcard at this time for all companies involved.

This price drop is an excellent opportunity to build up your stake in BlackBerry at a good price, but it should be a long position, as that is where BlackBerry has the best potential. Sure, you can buy now for $9 and sell at $11 which is likely to be seen again before the end of calendar 2014 (if Passport keeps it's steam and Classic is well received + revenue growth and strengthening cash position), but the true investment will be to buy it now with the hope of it going into the $12- 20 range next year when the fruits of the labour of the new management truly begin to show. BBRY is a volatile stock and should be viewed as risky, as the future in enterprise could still be compromised, handset marketshare could remain stale and many IoT investments could become worthless if a better solution is brought forward by competitors and gains traction.

It seems that Chen is playing with the books and limiting his risks, he wants to show that the company is getting things in line and we should see better results further in the future, he is more interested in showing stability right now, this focus will shift to growth in next couple quarters.

BB for Life
    Problem is their competitors already have products on the market while BlackBerry is still on the drawing board. I don't know who all the Players are, but Verizon Wireless has a whole M2M division that is already offering services.

http://www.verizonenterprise.com/res...134378-m2m.xml

Maybe what BlackBerry is working on could be utilized to better secure the communications between these devices... or maybe they will just be too late to the party to make a difference.
    10-15-14 07:36 AM
    Well, news is that BlackBerry did a run of about 300-350 K. About 2/3 of that was sold through Amazon and Shop BlackBerry. The rest has been sold to carriers minus a wee bit of product BlackBerry was able to reallocate to the two websites this week.

Unfortunately, BlackBerry doesn't have the cash for big product runs. From what I can discern, the next product shipment is this week.

I guess the good news is if you do a back of the napkin calculation, BlackBerry has pushed about 200 million of passport sales in the last week or so. Not bad at all.

As to BlackBerry future, I would say that they are already operating in a cash flow positive environment. Innovative product is selling and service revenues (BES) will start kicking in this quarter as those free EZ passes turn into revenue. They also did a few things that surprised me at the earnings call. First, there hiring, a sign that revenue is going in the right direction. Second, they took the full financing charge (190 million) in this quarter which they don't have to do. This along with the fact that they haven't used their full R&D tax credit makes me think they want to keep, expectations lows. I suspect that we will see positive news in the next quarterly report. If cashflow is positive and revenue rises then this stock will take off. All the arrows are pointing in the right direction. Time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    200 k, not 200 mil...the financing charge is related to the stock price and market value of the convertible. the R&D is a recurring receivable, but is usually booked as a one-time item once per year when they get the credit from Revenue Canada.

Posted via CB10
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    10-15-14 08:08 AM
    Problem is their competitors already have products on the market while BlackBerry is still on the drawing board. I don't know who all the Players are, but Verizon Wireless has a whole M2M division that is already offering services.

[video]http://www.verizonenterprise.com/resources/media/large-134378-m2m.xml[/url]

Maybe what BlackBerry is working on could be utilized to better secure the communications between these devices... or maybe they will just be too late to the party to make a difference.
    Interesting that Verizon is getting into the mix, this is going to be a huge growth area, but in my mind it will all come down to HOW it's done, companies and households are not going to want to upgrade all appliances, to be "smart" we need more solutions like Nest which are a small addition to your existing assets that will allow communication and control.
    I won't even fork out the extra 30% for a smart tv, good luck convincing companies to replace hundreds or thousands of assets with "smart" ones when the premium paid (without considering early replacement losses) will take years of efficiency to repay

BB for Life
    10-15-14 03:01 PM
    Interesting that Verizon is getting into the mix, this is going to be a huge growth area, but in my mind it will all come down to HOW it's done, companies and households are not going to want to upgrade all appliances, to be "smart" we need more solutions like Nest which are a small addition to your existing assets that will allow communication and control.
    I won't even fork out the extra 30% for a smart tv, good luck convincing companies to replace hundreds or thousands of assets with "smart" ones when the premium paid (without considering early replacement losses) will take years of efficiency to repay
    BB for Life
    They aren't "getting into the mix", they are THERE.

I agree most consumers aren't going to buy a bunch of "smart" appliance overnight. But a lot of us already have smart Power and Water meters that one way or another we paid for. As the technology becomes cheaper, easier to use and more useful... it will be a big growth sector.

But most of what Verizon showed us was more for commercial applications.... and many of those could pay for themselves in lower insurance premiums, greater productivity - even fewer employees in some case, less down time, reduced equipment cost due to better maintenance.... And most of this they already have products available. But I think what Verizon is doing is "partnering" with suppliers that will provide "things", and Verizon provide the "Internet of" connection. There was lot's of talk about security and the equipment and the data was all secure... but no mention of how or what OS was used...
    10-15-14 03:29 PM
    Well, news is that BlackBerry did a run of about 300-350 K. About 2/3 of that was sold through Amazon and Shop BlackBerry.
    Have a source? Is it an estimate?

Unfortunately, BlackBerry doesn't have the cash for big product runs. From what I can discern, the next product shipment is this week.
    Not sure the issue is cash, but rather being conservative with it. They have the same amount of "cash" (even more) than when they launched the Z10 or PlayBook.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    10-15-14 03:39 PM
    Have a source? Is it an estimate?

Not sure the issue is cash, but rather being conservative with it. They have the same amount of "cash" (even more) than when they launched the Z10 or PlayBook.
    Thinks it's being conservative and scale. They are limited on production capacity as they have only the Mexico Plant still in operation (from what I understand). And they do have other products... Classic should be under production now if it is going to be released in Nov.

Big thing is components.... you don't just call up the maker of that square screen and get an extra 100K sent to you over night. If that is a custom screen it might take them weeks to produce those, and then ship them to you.
    10-15-14 03:55 PM
    I believe it is a correction in the market. Anyway I hope as I've got several shares. Here is a article that I found interesting. Not saying I necessarily believe it a 100% however I do believe we haven't seen anything yet.
    The #BlackBerryPassport is now in the top 5 popular phones on @phonedog. Read more, and see the video: https://t.co/JgnE06Ea9X

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 07:45 PM
    We've entered a purely ios and android market. There will be room for blackberry as the second phone for some. Fair enough and I think the market is big enough to that wokrout. But that is where we are going.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 02:15 AM
    We've entered a purely ios and android market. There will be room for blackberry as the second phone for some. Fair enough and I think the market is big enough to that wokrout. But that is where we are going.

Posted via CB10
    There is room for BlackBerry to build a few million devices and sell those at a profit and stay in the smartphone business in the short term.

Long term is the real issue, with developer moving away from native BB10 and Google moving to close their ecosystem, that will leave BlackBerry, Amazon, Sailfish and others out in the cold with no ecosystem. Really doesn't matter how good the hardware is or how great the OS will become, without an ecosystem.... it's just a phone with email and a browsers.

But they have time to improve BES and try to make it the "only" mobile device management platform, they can try to break into the IoT market, and improve their portion of the Car Platform market. BlackBerry is more than a smartphone company - which is why Research in Motion was really a better name.
    10-22-14 01:17 PM
    It feels like it, but very few markets remain stable with less than 3 major players. I think that's a shortsighted view of the tech space. Don't underestimate where the next big idea will come from.
    Computer OS business remained pretty stable for the last 30 years with only one major player.

But yes things change and in 10 years we may all be using products made by Miracle Ear to communicate with one another.
    10-31-14 01:43 PM
    The reason the stock is down is it surged on Lenovo buyout rumors.

It is now getting back to normal. That guy who posted that false rumor should be thrown in jail.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 04:55 PM
    Really? Microsoft, Macintosh, Linux.....
    Yeah, and Linux was always a very small percentage of the market, and Mac has gained most of its ground in the last ten years, was second place for a loong time don't get me wrong, but only now is it growing to be an actual competitor in this space.

The reason the stock is down is it surged on Lenovo buyout rumors.

It is now getting back to normal. That guy who posted that false rumor should be thrown in jail.

Posted via CB10
    People who believed and bought based on that rumor deserve to lose money, do some research first. Fact is the Government of Canada will not allow that sale, period, and this was made clear a long time ago.

BB for Life
    10-31-14 07:38 PM
    Really? Microsoft, Macintosh, Linux.....
    You forgot IBM, Sun and a few others.

But Microsoft owned the computer business for the last 20 years... everyone else combined couldn't touch MS marketshare - doesn't mean that some of them didn't make money in their "niche".

Yes Apple is doing pretty good these days, largely due to the popularity of iOS. Once they too merge the desktop and mobile experience.... they may even surpass Windows, as MS seems to be having a lot of difficulty gaining any real traction.

BOT: Passport hasn't really done much for BBRY either way... true investors are going to want evidence of it's success. As BlackBerry has a history of not clearly seeing what happens during a launch.... and other than the CEO being happy, we don't have the channel checks or other info that normally follows a major launch. So we really have no idea of how the Passport is doing or how it will affect BBRY shares. For me the story is really all about BES12, that is what we need to know about.
    11-05-14 10:33 AM
    But we're concerned because it hasn't been one day. It's been the entire week. Down from over $12 to almost $10.50. That is a 12.5% drop! That can't be blamed on the market being down. The market is no where near down that much. And it is down 12.5% on no news? Something isn't right here.

Posted via CB10
    It was artificially inflated for several weeks on speculation of a Lenovo takeover, so BlackBerry stocks actually outpaced the market. It's true that tech stocks, and the whole market, is down, but BB has dropped more, I believe, because there has been a correction from the speculation.

I have stock, so I am watching it with one eye, but the longer term health of BlackBerry is what interests me.

Q10 ? The Other Crackberry Pirate ? Z30 | via CB10
    11-05-14 10:53 AM
    No one is buying into the hoopla.....?
    No one is buying the Passport...c'mon people 200-300k units are nothing in the Smartphone market. Getting excited over lame numbers is ridiculous.
    11-05-14 11:06 AM
    It was artificially inflated for several weeks on speculation of a Lenovo takeover, so BlackBerry stocks actually outpaced the market. It's true that tech stocks, and the whole market, is down, but BB has dropped more, I believe, because there has been a correction from the speculation.

I have stock, so I am watching it with one eye, but the longer term health of BlackBerry is what interests me.

Q10 ? The Other Crackberry Pirate ? Z30 | via CB10
    You were literally watching with one eye.

Posted via CB10
    HighFlight88 likes this.
    11-05-14 11:07 AM
    I think this quarters revenue will match analysts estimate. There is definitely uptick in BB10 phone sales apart from the contribution from Passport.

That should help BlackBerry eek out a small profit may be.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 01:03 PM
46 12