Now, I said it before and will say it now - the good comparable case would be Nokia transition to WP.
    This is a bad comparison, in general. Windows Phone had already been around for a while when Nokia jumped on board. Other OEMs such as HTC and Samsung sold a sizable percentage of Windows Phones back then. This is not a fresh OS launch but a competitive environment.

In addition to all that, Nokia was pushing multiple alternative smartphone OSes at the time. The Symbian^3 powered Pureview 808 was launched much after the Lumia 800. The Meego powered Nokia N9 was launched shortly before. Nokia was balancing multiple, modern flagship devices and they would all continue to remain relevant for some time. BBRY is all in BB10.

Nokia certainly did not hype or devote resources for Lumia to take off with a bang like BBRY did BB10 and why would it? As far as consumers were concerned, this was just the launch of another product line of the then 4th place OS. For this reason, Lumia expectations were lower. At the same time, Lumia had the benefit of launching with an established OS. Ultimately, the drastically different circumstances make the comparison not meaningful.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 07-07-13 at 02:33 PM.
    07-07-13 02:17 PM
    Tomi Ahonen is full of crap. You cant believe a word he says. Here is Nokia's official numbers.
    q4 11....1
    q1 12....2
    q2 12....4
    q3 12..2.9
    q4 12..4.4
    Q1 13..5.6
    There is a whole website dedicated to correcting his idiocy.
    The Tomi Ahonen corrective encyclopedia | Dominies Communicate
    Thanks for giving better data, regardless, numbers are not so far apart for the sake of my argument.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    07-07-13 02:44 PM
    The adoption rate which is pathetic. Lets face it the majority of people who went bb10 are already BlackBerry user's and the small number of people who switched was insignificant. As evidenced by the poor sales.
    Theres a reason you rarely see a BlackBerry Z or Q in the wild now we know why.

Now if your looking for something to generate buzz than yes im sure something could be made up using an obscure metric like os launches.
    But if were going to go with that them BlackBerry did a **** poor job of executing. I mean by there own actions they dissuaded current legacy users from upgrading because many basic features were omitted as you can read in the threads here on CB. When you fail to convert sufficient numbers of your faithful to your new platform theres no giod spin, metric, or speel you can put on it.

Posted via CB10
    Hi Alternator,

Thanks for weighing in. Nothing you said is counter to the thread topic except saying that the adoption rate is pathetic.

Do you have any data or sources in regards to this?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 04:07 PM
    No, those are just Lumia numbers.
    You edited your post - it is different to when I responded to it (just to make that clear to other readers).
    07-07-13 04:18 PM
    You edited your post - it is different to when I responded to it (just to make that clear to other readers).
    Yes, I added the dots to make it clearer.
    07-07-13 05:32 PM
    Hi Alternator,

Thanks for weighing in. Nothing you said is counter to the thread topic except saying that the adoption rate is pathetic.

Do you have any data or sources in regards to this?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    I thought my answer was pretty self explanatory.
    After a full quarter of release 2.7 million shipped worldwide. Im not trying to counter the thread topic just replying to your question as to what a good measure of success would be.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 05:36 PM
    I thought my answer was pretty self explanatory.
    After a full quarter of release 2.7 million shipped worldwide. Im not trying to counter the thread topic just replying to your question as to what a good measure of success would be.

Posted via CB10
    Oh I see.

My question about the data or sources was about:

"Lets face it the majority of people who went bb10 are already BlackBerry user's and the small number of people who switched was insignificant. As evidenced by the poor sales."

Were you suggesting that a good measure of success would be how many of BB10 purchasers are coming from different platforms?
    07-07-13 06:36 PM
    Oh I see.

My question about the data or sources was about:

"Lets face it the majority of people who went bb10 are already BlackBerry user's and the small number of people who switched was insignificant. As evidenced by the poor sales."

Were you suggesting that a good measure of success would be how many of BB10 purchasers are coming from different platforms?
    No im thinking more along the lines of adoption of bb10 regardless of where they come from android or ios or even existing BlackBerry subscribers. Piont is the market and devs are looking at one thing in particular. How many people are on bb10. And shipping 2.7mil while sounding like a lot means thats what went to carriers not device sales to customers hence activations. That coupled with a subscriber loss of 4 million negates any potential success. Now if they had converted even half of those 4 million or even a quarter that would have been something.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 08:06 PM
    It doesnt matter what iOS did 6 years ago or android did 4 years ago. Smartphone sales are not the same as they are now and right now is what matters for BB
    Yeah, we are running at break-neck speeds in cell phone tech today, this is why I'd prefer that BlackBerry focus on corporate enterprise first through software and services.
    I doubt BlackBerry will ever be a key player if they keep trying to catch some of the leaders in hardware, like Samsung. Who can compete hardware-wise with a company that puts out a new phone every couple of weeks!?
    BlackBerry should hand that off to Sony or Nokia, and focus on sitting atop of every device server through the QNX software.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 08:34 PM
    [QUOTE=alternator77;8780079]The adoption rate which is pathetic. Lets face it the majority of people who went bb10 are already BlackBerry user's and the small number of people who switched was insignificant. As evidenced by the poor sales.

Now if your looking for something to generate buzz than yes im sure something could be made up using an obscure metric like os launches.
    But if were going to go with that them BlackBerry did a **** poor job of executing.

+++++++++++++++++++

Agreed, if you are only looking at the angle from a standard user. In large corporations, (where most of the sales went), have their own IT people who do the training if required.

I do agree though, that if BlackBerry is serious about getting the bb10 experience out to the average consumer, they need to properly train the consumer-level sales staff first! I can't tell you how many times I have been to local stores even in Vancouver, where the sales staff were totally ignorant to how bb10 worked; that is, if you even saw a real working phone to begin with!

FIX THIS BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 07-07-13 at 08:52 PM.
    07-07-13 08:42 PM
    The adoption rate which is pathetic. Lets face it the majority of people who went bb10 are already BlackBerry user's and the small number of people who switched was insignificant. As evidenced by the poor sales.
    Myself and most of the people I kow who have a BB10 device came from an iPhone, I'd say from my own experience fewer existing legacy users are actually upgrading to it than you may think, which shows the lower sales numbers.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 12:08 AM
    Myself and most of the people I kow who have a BB10 device came from an iPhone, I'd say from my own experience fewer existing legacy users are actually upgrading to it than you may think, which shows the lower sales numbers.

Posted via CB10
    Truth is you and i are just providing anecdotal evidence.
    Bottom line and i think we both can agree is they need a little bit of both legacy users to upgrade and people from other platforms to switch. In sufficient numbers to make a difference.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 04:56 PM
    hmmm. I see what you are saying.

The trouble is that you are comparing platforms that have had a head start of up to six years in some cases against one that has had 4 months. That is one variable that this graph overcomes.
    Nope. BlackBerry had almost 80 million people to convert. And didnt. And nownwe are where we are... Almosy dead.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using CB Forums mobile app
    07-08-13 05:10 PM
    This is a bad comparison, in general. Windows Phone had already been around for a while when Nokia jumped on board. Other OEMs such as HTC and Samsung sold a sizable percentage of Windows Phones back then. This is not a fresh OS launch but a competitive environment.

In addition to all that, Nokia was pushing multiple alternative smartphone OSes at the time. The Symbian^3 powered Pureview 808 was launched much after the Lumia 800. The Meego powered Nokia N9 was launched shortly before. Nokia was balancing multiple, modern flagship devices and they would all continue to remain relevant for some time. BBRY is all in BB10.

Nokia certainly did not hype or devote resources for Lumia to take off with a bang like BBRY did BB10 and why would it? As far as consumers were concerned, this was just the launch of another product line of the then 4th place OS. For this reason, Lumia expectations were lower. At the same time, Lumia had the benefit of launching with an established OS. Ultimately, the drastically different circumstances make the comparison not meaningful.
    We seem to live in some alternate universes. In the one I live, Nokia did all they can to push lumia as much as they could. Symbian was put on back burner and Pureview was released only when Lumia sales were in the ditch and they need to show something exciting.
    MeeGo was relegated to obscure markets to die quickly.
    Samsung and HTC sold sizable % of WP but total numbers were abysmall. This is the reason why Nokia now accounts for the 80% of WP sales.

As per others complaning about conversion rates, look how Nokia Symbian to WP conversion rates look like, comparing to that BlackBerry looks wildly successfull.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 03:54 AM
    This is my first time post and I would just like to inform the Crackberry community that my company is now allowing upgrades for their slew of BB's to either the new Z10 or Q10. This is a large company of 130K+. There is no BYOD here, although, some employees are permitted to order an iPhone under special circumstances. I believe that the corporate adoption for BB's will be there, it just takes time for the IT departments to deploy BES, test the new BB's and then replace the aging company BB's. As a note, I couldn't replace my BB until it was used for at least 2 years.
    Last edited by Chris H; 07-10-13 at 09:29 PM.
    dusdal, Korepab, peter9477 and 2 others like this.
    07-10-13 02:55 PM
    This is my first time post and I would just like to inform the Crackberry community that my company (know for their 'thermostats') is now allowing upgrades for their slew of BB's to either the new Z10 or Q10. This is a large company of 130K+. There is no BYOD here, although, some employees are permitted to order an iPhone under special circumstances. I believe that the corporate adoption for BB's will be there, it just takes time for the IT departments to deploy BES, test the new BB's and then replace the aging company BB's. As a note, I couldn't replace my BB until it was used for at least 2 years.
    Are you certain your company is deploying BES10 and not some other MDM platform? Just curious.
    07-10-13 06:47 PM
    This may have been covered already in this thread, so if it has, sorry.

Didn't RIMM enter the smartphone market with the Storm? Storm 2?
    07-10-13 07:28 PM
    This may have been covered already in this thread, so if it has, sorry.

Didn't RIMM enter the smartphone market with the Storm? Storm 2?
    If you mean touchscreen smartphone market, yes, but their first smartphone predates the Storm phone by a number of years.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    07-11-13 02:04 PM
    Hi Chris, Thanks for the update, and welcome!

Question: Is your company Canadian or USA(ian)?

This is my first time post and I would just like to inform the Crackberry community that my company is now allowing upgrades for their slew of BB's to either the new Z10 or Q10. This is a large company of 130K+. There is no BYOD here, although, some employees are permitted to order an iPhone under special circumstances. I believe that the corporate adoption for BB's will be there, it just takes time for the IT departments to deploy BES, test the new BB's and then replace the aging company BB's. As a note, I couldn't replace my BB until it was used for at least 2 years.
    07-11-13 09:01 PM
144 ... 456