Let's put 2.7 million shipments in perspective. In fact, let's be extra generous and count all BBRY device shipments, not just BB10 shipments. To put the numbers into context, please see below.

Attachment 178109

If 2.7 million is not a bad number, then I'm not sure what you'd consider bad. And let's remember, it is 2.7 million shipments. Since BBRY refuses to say how many of the 2.7 M are not sitting in warehouses, the educated estimate is that 2.3 million BB10 devices were sold. Since so few Z10s actually exist in the wild, 2.3 million may be a tad optimistic.
    Maybe but an older gentleman I work with showed up with one last week...I was waiting to be seated in a restaurant tonight so I pulled out my Z to kill time....guy waiting beside me asks how I like it and proceeds to tell me everything he likes about his....awesome I thought.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 10:36 PM
    Equivalent quarters for each of those after launch would be more suitable.
    Would be great. but impossible. After launch numbers for Android and iOS OEMs would be meaningless as the market was completely different at that time.

For MS, the numbers are available though.
    07-01-13 10:39 PM
    You think iPhone took off right off the bat? Go look at the numbers and see that BlackBerry didn't do so bad as the haters want people to believe.
    Since you insisted. Here are the numbers.

In 2007, the iPhone disrupted the entire mobile industry. Apple SOLD, not shipped, 270,000 iPhones in the first 30 hours at $500/$600 each. The first full quarter sold 1.4 million at $400 ea.

Six years later, BlackBerry sold 2.7 million BB10 devices after a full quarter at ~$200 each, while Apple is selling over 30 million iPhones at $300/$400 each.

Granted the BB10 is a new OS and needs to grow, it can't grow without developer support and it won't get developer support without big sales numbers.

If a product is truly disruptive consumer and developer support grow together.
    07-01-13 11:33 PM
    2.7 M is not a bad number considering everything-0b80bf3cdc3194f8e35dfa67baa0d80a.png
    Since you insisted. Here are the numbers.

In 2007, the iPhone disrupted the entire mobile industry. Apple SOLD, not shipped, 270,000 iPhones in the first 30 hours at $500/$600 each. The first full quarter sold 1.4 million at $400 ea.

Six years later, BlackBerry sold 2.7 million BB10 devices after a full quarter at ~$200 each, while Apple is selling over 30 million iPhones at $300/$400 each.

Granted the BB10 is a new OS and needs to grow, it can't grow without developer support and it won't get developer support without big sales numbers.

If a product is truly disruptive consumer and developer support grow together.
    nquyen likes this.
    07-02-13 12:22 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0b80bf3cdc3194f8e35dfa67baa0d80a.png 
Views:	610 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	178149
    Great chart...that basically proves the point..it took Iphone 5 quarters to get traction in spite of being a disruptive product. So 2.7 ain't that bad.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal and robin11 like this.
    07-02-13 08:04 AM
    Must be a paid BlackBerry troll to bash MS
    No, actually since he's doing it in CrackBerry there's no reason to think he's paid for it. Now if he were to go out to Microsoft forums and keep bashing MSFT the same way, then he would justifiably be labelled a troll.

See how this works?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-02-13 08:10 AM
    It's true. Look at the launch quarters of any other new platform: Windows, Android, iOS. All started off slowly, not with a pop. Most also had a backpedal quarter in the first year.
    None of those (Windows, Android, iOS) launched their phone platform into a market where they already had 70+ million customers. The "start from scratch" comparison only holds if in fact a company is actually starting from scratch.
    jaymars and Drew808 like this.
    07-02-13 08:11 AM
    No, actually since he's doing it in CrackBerry there's no reason to think he's paid for it. Now if he were to go out to Microsoft forums and keep bashing MSFT the same way, then he would justifiably be labelled a troll.

See how this works?
    Yes I do. Hence the rotfl. But seriously that dude spouts off in every thread or did.

I haven't seen one not one.............
    07-02-13 08:15 AM
    Great chart...that basically proves the point..it took Iphone 5 quarters to get traction in spite of being a disruptive product. So 2.7 ain't that bad.

Posted via CB10
    raysgrumpy likes this.
    07-02-13 08:18 AM

"Initially priced at US $599 and US $499 for the 8GB and 4GB models, the iPhone went on sale on June 29, 2007." (from History of the iPhone on Wikipedia).

Also, does anyone know if that was the price unlocked, or locked to a carrier? If it was unlocked, then you're comparing apples and oranges with your $200 pricing for the Z10, since that phone was $550 unlocked (on AT&T, at launch) from what I can tell.
    07-02-13 08:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    The iPhone sold as an unsubsidized handset for its first year, and cost a minimum of $399. The 6th quarter described above (Q4 2008, July through September) was actually the first quarter in which the iPhone 3G was available (launched July 11, 2008). The significance of the 3G was that the previous iPhone did not benefit from carrier subsidies, which lowered the acquisition cost to as little as $200. So, if we compare the Z10 to the very first subsidized iPhone (the Z10 is also subsidized, after all), the first roughly full quarter of sales sees a 4.2 million unit advantage for iPhone sales (6.89 vs 2.7 million).

(Also, remember that the original iPhone launched just 2 days before the end of a quarter, so the 270K in 1st quarter sales represent sales for a 2 day period. The next four quarters were all original iPhone sales until the 3G launched 2 weeks into Q4 2008.)

In other words, this is not a comparison that supports your argument.
    Saiga likes this.
    07-02-13 08:23 AM
    Even BBRY thinks 2.7M is a bad number..... why you disagree?
    JeepBB and h20work like this.
    07-02-13 08:25 AM
    Remember that there are also free-on-contract (FOC) and both $100 and $200 iPhones as well. iPhone sales include all of these models, and they don't report how many of the iPhone 5s specifically have been sold. So, the comparison isn't terribly good there either, since it wouldn't be fair to compare the sales of FOC iPhones or sub-$200 models with the Z10.
    07-02-13 08:31 AM
    Apple over 5x the number of shipments

Samsung over 10x the number of shipments

Beaten out by ZTE and Huawei and LG. HTC is not there but I bet they beat BB out too.

Sad thing is while everyone is selling newer devices, BB is still mostly selling their old school BB7 devices from c2009.

Even if people wanted to see the new BB, they are probably going to actually see the old school devices at the store and just assume that BB hasn't moved on to the modern world yet. Not a good state of affairs.
    07-02-13 08:36 AM
    How many times does it need to be said that BBOS10 is coming into a mature market.

When iPhone first released, how many smartphones were there?
    What was the cost compared to other phones at the time?
    kbz1960, h20work and anon(5828343) like this.
    07-02-13 08:40 AM
    Hilarious how some people feel losing millions is "not bad"
    07-02-13 08:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. It's hilarious how many trolls/haters spending hours on a fan site of a company they don't like or say will fail all the while twisting facts to suit their agenda.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 08:59 AM
    How many times does it need to be said that BBOS10 is coming into a mature market.

When iPhone first released, how many smartphones were there?
    What was the cost compared to other phones at the time?
    Quoted so maybe they see it.
    07-02-13 09:06 AM
    Exactly. It's hilarious how many trolls/haters spending hours on a fan site of a company they don't like or say will fail all the while twisting facts to suit their agenda.

Posted via CB10
    Everyone is a troll to you. How old are you?
    mikeo007 and JeepBB like this.
    07-02-13 09:06 AM
    Let's put 2.7 million shipments in perspective. In fact, let's be extra generous and count all BBRY device shipments, not just BB10 shipments. To put the numbers into context, please see below.

Attachment 178109

If 2.7 million is not a bad number, then I'm not sure what you'd consider bad. And let's remember, it is 2.7 million shipments. Since BBRY refuses to say how many of the 2.7 M are not sitting in warehouses, the educated estimate is that 2.3 million BB10 devices were sold. Since so few Z10s actually exist in the wild, 2.3 million may be a tad optimistic.
    Actually, this graph just proves the opposite to me ..... namely, Blackberry is still doing Ok compared to most competitors!

I hope that I can explain this properly. The thoughts are clear in my head, but not so clear when typed out.

First of all, let's take off Samsung and Apple. They are the clear leaders and there is no way that BB is catching them anytime soon. As a matter of fact, no one is catching them anytime soon.

Among the other manufacturers, BB actually beats Nokia! And the third place position has 10.3 million units, which is not *that* far ahead of Blackberry. So Blackberry actually doesn't look too bad compared to most hardware manufacturers.

In fairness, if you look at the actual OSes, BB10 and BB7 combined will have a much, much smaller market share. As well, with the presentation and guidance from the last Earnings Report they really shot themselves in the foot. Hopefully they haven't done too much damage, but it will take some time to tell.

My take away is that the numbers are not a complete disaster, but they need to get their whole base onto BB10 (the Q5 will be important here). And they need to maintain their market share. Hopefully this will give them time to figure out a better strategy for the future.
    07-02-13 09:27 AM
    Even BBRY thinks 2.7M is a bad number..... why you disagree?
    I have listened the call twice and they never said it was a bad number...like I said if you consider all things in my OP it was not...compare to market expectations yes it was bad but expectations just went crazy high.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 09:28 AM
    One thing to keep in mind, Samsung and Apple also sold less smart phones than they expected. Perhaps there is some market saturation that is affecting everyone, including Blackberry?

Market share is key here. Blackberry is strong in enterprise, but they really might have over-played their hand and no businesses are looking elsewhere.
    07-02-13 09:30 AM
    The only bad part from this is that they got lot of bad press which is not good....had Thor and his team guided the expectations down instead of pumping it they could have avoided this fiasco.
    Huge learning for them and substantial paper losses for shareholders

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    07-02-13 09:31 AM
    One thing to keep in mind, Samsung and Apple also sold less smart phones than they expected. Perhaps there is some market saturation that is affecting everyone, including Blackberry?
    I'm not sure who the "they" in this passage refers to, since neither Apple nor Samsung releases estimates on how many devices they expect to sell. If by "they" you mean "wall street analysts," then you're right, they both sold fewer than analysts expected them to sell. But this isn't really about meeting expectations as much as it is making sure you sell enough units to keep your platform growing. Neither Apple nor Samsung has any problems there, but BB10 is brand-new, and 1 million units a month isn't enough to build the momentum necessary to achieve BBRY's own stated goals.
    07-02-13 09:42 AM
    I'm not sure who the "they" in this passage refers to, since neither Apple nor Samsung releases estimates on how many devices they expect to sell. If by "they" you mean "wall street analysts," then you're right, they both sold fewer than analysts expected them to sell. But this isn't really about meeting expectations as much as it is making sure you sell enough units to keep your platform growing. Neither Apple nor Samsung has any problems there, but BB10 is brand-new, and 1 million units a month isn't enough to build the momentum necessary to achieve BBRY's own stated goals.
    Well they have launched 1 out of 6 products after 2 years...what part do you not get "They are just Starting"

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 likes this.
    07-02-13 09:54 AM
157 1234 ...