Oh man,,, this is terrible news. L.A. Times reports BB share has plummeted to 1/2 of 1%....

BlackBerry accounts for less than 0.5% of smartphone sales, report says - latimes.com

I guess at some point it had to happen.
    01-31-14 05:30 PM
    Ouch
    Let's see what becomes of this quarter with 10.2.1 out of the gate. It can't technically get worse than this

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 05:32 PM
    Ouch
    Let's see what becomes of this quarter with 10.2.1 out of the gate. It can't technically get worse than this

Posted via CB10
    Technically it can because the company rounded it down to zero.
    01-31-14 06:03 PM
    That's the result when the "for sale sign" goes up. My employer, which is huge, bailed. I still have a Torch, but going Android through attrition.

On the other hand, any uptick will give Chen Superstar status, it can only go up, right?
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-31-14 11:41 PM
    That's only sales of new devices. That doesn't take into account what is being used in the market. It's no surprise there that in the US-Gay it dipped that low. Why would people buy it when the last R ***** wanted to sell the company. Honestly the for sale was probably to take the company private more then anything else. Heins and the board couldn't be that stupid to not see the assets that BlackBerry and the financial backing to be the end of the company.

There's a reason Fairfax invested $1.25 billion into the company and its not because there is no value in it.
    02-01-14 12:11 AM
    BlackBerry mistake was thinking that NSA and those with NSA interests and ties would allow the masses to use secure BlackBerry phones. I believe that the masses are not allowed and should not be allowed to use BlackBerry. If we came out and told the masses they are not allowed to use BlackBerry then naturally people want what they can't have. Only enterprise and those in power will be allowed security and Chen understands this and is trusted to oversee this transition. I think the masses are now perfectly brainwash to not like BlackBerry and the average person like a parrot will repeat the lies they were told to think. BlackBerry made phones will be for enterprise and governments / elites and Foxconn made phones will be made for the masses. The masses are so easy to brainwash.

Posted via CB10
    Frosty_Power likes this.
    02-01-14 11:29 AM
    You guys do realize that Apple sold more iPhones in one week than BlackBerry sold all year..... so why the surprise that marektshare has continued to fall? And this isn't just a US phenomenon, Globally BlackBerry is losing marketshare just about EVERYWHERE other than a handful of relatively speaking minor markets.

Sales from this point on are pretty much going to be word of mouth, those same handful of minor markets and hopefully some bigger Enterprise customers. The question is has Chen stabilized the company enough to make the investment into BES10 and BB10 a less dangerous one for a CFO to approve? Or is the "we are for Sale" fiasco still to fresh in their minds? Or maybe the fact that they needed a "bail out" to bolster their operating fund isn't common knowledge? Not sure what a CFO looks at when approving a MAJOR technology purchase these days. But most CFO are also consumers.....
    02-03-14 09:46 AM
    It's shockingly sad to see how far BBerry has fallen.

I truly believe in the strategy of BB10 and it's technical underpinnings, but the business execution was amazingly defective. I really can't see how they could have done it any more badly. Any of the current senior management that get's shown to door seems completely justifiable. Unfortunately the rank-and-file will/is taking the bulk of the pain.....as always.

John Chen seems to be off to a good start, but we all thought TH was a fresh new start and we now can see the resulting metrics of his failed execution. Of course, 22 million for putting the company in the ditch goes along way to help with any emotional pain he might experience. Skiing every day in the Alps will do that.

I can only feel shock and resignation as BBerry bounces along the bottom.....
    02-03-14 11:36 AM
    N4BB has a story about BlackBerry losing 0.4% US market share but still in 3rd overall ahead of MS.

http://n4bb.com/blackberrys-u-s-mark...ding-comscore/

Could it be the earlier reports mixed up. Small decrease in market share as the actual market share?

Flicked out via Zed10
    02-04-14 09:01 PM
    N4BB has a story about BlackBerry losing 0.4% US market share but still in 3rd overall ahead of MS.

BlackBerry's U.S. Market Share Keeps Sliding - Somehow Still in 3rd Place, According to comScore - N4BB

Could it be the earlier reports mixed up. Small decrease in market share as the actual market share?

Flicked out via Zed10
    comscore report subscribers...not new sales, with subscribers you can count 5years old BB phone, but with new sales you count sales / shipped number in 2013 last quarter
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-04-14 09:49 PM
    comscore report subscribers...not new sales, with subscribers you can count 5years old BB phone, but with new sales you count sales / shipped number in 2013 last quarter
    Sure...it comes down to what is meant by market share. %of new sales over a quarter is not what market share means to me. That's sales!

Flicked out via Zed10
    02-04-14 10:05 PM
    Sure...it comes down to what is meant by market share. %of new sales over a quarter is not what market share means to me. That's sales!

Flicked out via Zed10
    marketshares
    the portion of a market controlled by a particular company or product.

subscribers, and total sales both are valid argument to count marketshare, but as a company their main business by selling phone total sales are more apropriate, it shows profit, and growth
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-04-14 10:25 PM

Flicked out via Zed10
    No that's market share, you are talking about user base.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-05-14 02:17 AM
    BlackBerry mistake was thinking that NSA and those with NSA interests and ties would allow the masses to use secure BlackBerry phones. I believe that the masses are not allowed and should not be allowed to use BlackBerry. If we came out and told the masses they are not allowed to use BlackBerry then naturally people want what they can't have. Only enterprise and those in power will be allowed security and Chen understands this and is trusted to oversee this transition. I think the masses are now perfectly brainwash to not like BlackBerry and the average person like a parrot will repeat the lies they were told to think. BlackBerry made phones will be for enterprise and governments / elites and Foxconn made phones will be made for the masses. The masses are so easy to brainwash.

Posted via CB10
    Agree

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 03:02 AM
    On the other hand, any uptick will give Chen Superstar status, it can only go up, right?
    I'm reminded of a (remembered, so maybe not verbatim) quote from an exec a few years back: "This time last year, we were staring into the abyss... I'm glad to report that we've since taken a giant leap forward!"

milo53 likes this.
    02-05-14 01:09 PM
    Sales are what drives/funds a company. MS gets lots of loverlee money for every new phone sold, and the last quarterly figures show a huge percentage increase (admittedly from a low starting market share)... so, their cash intake is good... and their growing percentage means that next quarter's take will likely be better still.

BB's (largely legacy and shrinking) userbase by contrast brings in a BIS subscriber fee.

WinPhone is looking at a bright future with steadily increasing sales and marketshare... unfortunately, BB isn't.

And, it keeps being forgotten, that BB10 sales (the future revenue stream?) amount to a quarter of BB's total sales. So, your headline should read... "1/4 of 1/2 of 1% market share? Can't be!!!"

BB10's marketshare/sales are statistically zero right now.
    02-05-14 01:22 PM
    Sales are what drives/funds a company. MS gets lots of loverlee money for every new phone sold, and the last quarterly figures show a huge percentage increase (admittedly from a low starting market share)... so, their cash intake is good... and their growing percentage means that next quarter's take will likely be better still.

BB's (largely legacy and shrinking) userbase by contrast brings in a BIS subscriber fee.

WinPhone is looking at a bright future with steadily increasing sales and marketshare... unfortunately, BB isn't.

And, it keeps being forgotten, that BB10 sales (the future revenue stream?) amount to a quarter of BB's total sales. So, your headline should read... "1/4 of 1/2 of 1% market share? Can't be!!!"

BB10's marketshare/sales are statistically zero right now.
    And this will be heavily reflected in the next quarterly financial results.
    02-13-14 03:52 PM
    And this will be heavily reflected in the next quarterly financial results.
    And the following quarter, and the one after that, and...

Sorry to be Job's comforter, but there's no prospect of sunshine and rainbows anytime soon.

Jakarta is planned for the Summer isn't it? Even if its a success, that won't feed into the results until late this year.

And while I can't recall his quote off the top of my head, didn't Chen mention no upturn until 2016?
    02-13-14 04:07 PM
    This is my annoyance with a lot of journalists and tech fans who pull the "marketshare" card. They often don't know what "Marketshare" is actually being measured. Just the other day, I saw a journalist cite this number (new BlackBerrys sold in the US during a specific time period) and claim it was the number of BlackBerrys still in use globally.
    02-13-14 04:28 PM