01-21-10 12:41 PM
42 12
tools
    I'm on it!
    I don't know the exact story, but goes something like this. During Desert Storm I, US rotarty wing aircraft (helicopters) were going through blades at an astronomical rate. The fine sand that was kicked up by the aircraft themselves or dust storms from the desert were "sanding" the fine edges off of the blades. During maintenance records checks the brass discovered a heavily used helicopter that hadn't had the blades replaced. Upon closer inspection it was found that the helicopter's crew chief, a private, had been putting duct tape on the blades leading edges prior to every mission. The private was promoted, but promptly separated after the war to start a company that supplied... Don't know if it's true, but actually heard this story long before we had shiny, fancy things that we needed protected. I think I had a StarTac back then.
    09-02-09 01:53 AM
    The fine sand that was kicked up by the aircraft themselves or dust storms from the desert were "sanding" the fine edges off of the blades.
    How does putting a coat of plastic on the blades keep them sharp? Wouldn't the application of the plastic make them thicker and less likely to cut the air as efficiently?

And how exactly does the military make this film stick when Zagg tells us it's the same stuff and the film they sell us for our phones usually winds up peeling after a couple of months of use? I gotta figure helicopter blades whirling around a ka-zillion times a minute are going to be much tougher on that plastic film than anything anyone could match doing with their cell phone.
    09-02-09 12:55 PM
    If any of you want a chance to get one of these for free, check out my Twitter contest in my signature, I'm giving away 2 $25 ZAGG Gift Cards. Check it out!
    09-02-09 01:56 PM
    I don't know the exact story, but goes something like this. During Desert Storm I, US rotarty wing aircraft (helicopters) were going through blades at an astronomical rate. The fine sand that was kicked up by the aircraft themselves or dust storms from the desert were "sanding" the fine edges off of the blades. During maintenance records checks the brass discovered a heavily used helicopter that hadn't had the blades replaced. Upon closer inspection it was found that the helicopter's crew chief, a private, had been putting duct tape on the blades leading edges prior to every mission. The private was promoted, but promptly separated after the war to start a company that supplied... Don't know if it's true, but actually heard this story long before we had shiny, fancy things that we needed protected. I think I had a StarTac back then.
    I think my joke may have been a bit misinterpreted...
    09-04-09 02:52 PM
    How does putting a coat of plastic on the blades keep them sharp? Wouldn't the application of the plastic make them thicker and less likely to cut the air as efficiently?

And how exactly does the military make this film stick when Zagg tells us it's the same stuff and the film they sell us for our phones usually winds up peeling after a couple of months of use? I gotta figure helicopter blades whirling around a ka-zillion times a minute are going to be much tougher on that plastic film than anything anyone could match doing with their cell phone.
    Its about the durability.

The blades whip through the air so fast and hard, that even dust particulate grinds them down eventually. Not a prop for invisibleshield, I think their BS in telling everyone that their product is NOT 3m scotchguard protection film.
    09-04-09 05:15 PM
    You guys are lucky you're getting spray bottles. -_-' My Storm I.S. came with this useless sponge you smear all over your phone / I.S. Long story short, MOST of the shield went on alright (I found out now, two weeks later, that the pieces I thought were nice and straight aren't straight at all) and I have little bits of BLACK sponge between my screen / shield.

Awesome. Definitely worth the $35 I paid for it, piece of sh*t.
    09-08-09 03:11 PM
    Phantomskinz is by for the best skin. I had invisable sheild on my phones, every single time they would peal up from lint and dirt. Invisable sheild also has a bad rubbery feel to it and horrable orange peal.

Phantonskinz is stronger and does not peal up from lint and dirt, lint and dirt actually dont even get stuck to the sides of the skin. Also Phantonskinz clear coats there skins so it has a very smooth feel to it unlike invisable sheild which is very rubbery
    09-08-09 06:04 PM
    Phantomskinz is by for the best skin. I had invisable sheild on my phones, every single time they would peal up from lint and dirt. Invisable sheild also has a bad rubbery feel to it and horrable orange peal.

Phantonskinz is stronger and does not peal up from lint and dirt, lint and dirt actually dont even get stuck to the sides of the skin. Also Phantonskinz clear coats there skins so it has a very smooth feel to it unlike invisable sheild which is very rubbery
    As I think I mentioned in this thread, I had the Best Skins Ever on my 8900 and removed them to compare the InvisibleShield. By in large I think all this film is pretty much the same stuff but there is a rubbery feel to the InvisibleShield that is noticable so I see your point.

I appreciate your post and your recommendations about Phantomskinz. I'm particularly interested in your comment about the not peeling quality. Both Best Skins Ever and InvisibleShield do suffer from peeling in my experience. Exactly how long have you used these skins on your phone? It usually takes awhile for the peeling effect to kick in. If you guarantee that the Phantomskinz never peel, I'd be interested in looking at that product too.

BTW, it's now been well over a week and I STILL HAVE AIR BUBBLES ON MY SCREEN WITH THE INVISIBLESHIELD SKIN and I never had that problem with Best Skins Ever.
    09-08-09 07:57 PM
    You guys are lucky you're getting spray bottles. -_-' My Storm I.S. came with this useless sponge you smear all over your phone / I.S. Long story short, MOST of the shield went on alright (I found out now, two weeks later, that the pieces I thought were nice and straight aren't straight at all) and I have little bits of BLACK sponge between my screen / shield.

Awesome. Definitely worth the $35 I paid for it, piece of sh*t.
    This is just truly unacceptable.

These Zagg guys rant about their lifetime guarantee. I'd be calling them up and demanding a new set. Then when the new set comes in the mail, I'd throw away the namby sponge and do the install process the way Best Skins Ever recommends which is to put a small drop of clear liquid soap in water and use that formula to apply the film to your phone. That process worked far better for me than Zagg's silly spray which did nothing to lube up the film. As soon as the film got close to the screen, it stuck like glue and that makes it very hard to align it properly.

Don't let these guys off the hook so easily. Call and demand your lifetime guarantee replacement. Seriously.
    09-08-09 08:01 PM
    I appreciate your post and your recommendations about Phantomskinz. I'm particularly interested in your comment about the not peeling quality. Both Best Skins Ever and InvisibleShield do suffer from peeling in my experience. Exactly how long have you used these skins on your phone? It usually takes awhile for the peeling effect to kick in. If you guarantee that the Phantomskinz never peel, I'd be interested in looking at that product too.
    the best way to prevent peeling is to place your phone in a lint-free area. I place mine in my holster on my belt clip, or the OEM slip case and never let it roam around in the pocket. this is what causes the shields to peel up on the corners; it's the lint in your pocket/purse/etc
    09-11-09 09:12 PM
    Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I installed my Invisible shield last night, received a phone call this morning. and was told I could barely be heard. Apparently, the Zagg is covering my mic...but I can't locate it. Has anyone else encountered this issue, and if so, how was it resolved? Can anyone tell me exactly where the mic is on the 8350i?
    09-20-09 08:57 AM
    Never mind, I found it.
    09-20-09 03:11 PM
    Installed zagg yesterday for my 9700 very bad experence, the back piece is bigger than the batt pack cover,shield goes off at the edges makes the phone look very cheap.

Wondering weather to even bother for a replacement or switch product.
    01-19-10 01:50 AM
    Installed zagg yesterday for my 9700 very bad experence, the back piece is bigger than the batt pack cover,shield goes off at the edges makes the phone look very cheap.

Wondering weather to even bother for a replacement or switch product.
    Nah. I've used InvisibleShield and BSE for all my previous phones but now I'm using the Epik clear case and there really doesn't seem to be a need for a film protector. I do use a screen protector for the screen on my 9700 (bought from the T-Mobile store) but other than that, I don't see the need for film protection with the Epik case.

Plus, with the 9700 faux leather battery door design, I think the film would look weird on a 9700.
    01-20-10 11:57 AM
    #1 reason I dislike InvisibleShield = the protector turns yellow over time. GROSS!
    01-20-10 12:22 PM
    All clear shield products are patently not the same. The cheap ones scratch, discolor and are more difficult for the novice to use than the premium brands.

I have six years of experience with these types of films.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-10 01:06 AM
    All clear shield products are patently not the same. The cheap ones scratch, discolor and are more difficult for the novice to use than the premium brands.

I have six years of experience with these types of films.
    LOL.

Not sure what you are comparing to what but let's lazer in on the most expensive (Zagg) and least expensive (BSE).

I've used both. Zagg is 4 times the cost of BSE. This price spread is simply ridiculous. The Zagg people abuse the customer with ridiculous pricing.

In applying Zagg and BSE, I found Zagg to be more difficult to apply and less likely to stay attached properly. Part of the problem with Zagg is the lack of precision in cutting their molds properly.

I've had Zagg and BSE on my phone for equal periods of time and noted no discoloration in either product. I also did not note any greater tendency for either to scratch. As mentioned, Zagg seems more likely to not stay attached to the phone.

In my experience, there is no difference between the film product itself. BSE does seem to get the mold cutting process down better than Zagg.

Lastly, you say you have 6 years of experience. No one keeps their phones much more than a year anymore, 18 months tops. It's not practical to say that longevity of the film is an issue when most people will be on to a new device long before they need to worry about the film aging. Moreover, Zagg's supposed lifetime guarantee is really silly when you consider no one is going to keep their phone long enough to worry about lifetime guarantees for film protectors.
    01-21-10 12:41 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD