Check out this link to a car charger for the storm on ebay. It's ridiculous low cost compared to about 30 bucks Bell wants.

Super Low Made In China Crap/Car Charger

I don't know, do I trust a 3 dollar charger with my 500+ dollar phone?
    03-23-09 02:15 PM
    Simple answer.... NO. If you have to ask, that means you already knew the answer was No to begin with... you just wanted some reassurance.
    03-23-09 02:20 PM
    i have a sub3 dollar charger via eBay and it works flawlessly.
    03-23-09 02:23 PM
    I dont see why you couldnt. **** the stuff you get from ATT or any other mall seller have the same stuff. Its all cheap to me but it works.
    03-23-09 02:26 PM
    It probably would be alright, but I didn't take the extended warranty so I don't want to risk frying it. If you have the extended warranty and it fries you would probably have no problem getting it replaced.

Hate to spend 30 bucks when I can get one for 3 bucks, but 1 dollar plus shipping just doesn't seem right.
    03-23-09 02:31 PM
    I use cheapo chargers all the time. Never had any adverse effect on any of my phones. Once or twice the fuse inside blew out, but you can buy a supply of 5 replacements at Walmart for under $2. It's possible after 2 or 3 years an OEM charger will be in better shape and not break, but it's rare I ever keep the same phone that long. By the time a cheapo wears out I'm onto my next phone and charger.
    03-23-09 02:31 PM
    That's some of the cheapest wires and plastic ever o.o.
    Ebay or not lol. I payed 9.99 for mine and works well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 02:36 PM
    One of my customers bought a cheap one off of ebay. He said it was horrible and bought one from me a week later.
    03-23-09 02:41 PM
    verizon has then for 9.99 and then 25% vip discount ....
    03-23-09 02:42 PM
    You are paying $80/Month for a phone... quit whining and pay the 20 bucks for the charger
    03-23-09 02:44 PM
    I vote no. They can void you warranty.
    03-23-09 02:45 PM
    Um...no
    **** NO
    03-23-09 02:51 PM
    ill nvr again buy anything from ebay where the item location is overseas, i.e. Hong Kong, or UK. Not saying anything bad about those countries, I just don't think it's a good idea. I was burned on a bogus USB flash drive from China, won't let it happen again.

That guy is in HK and has a 99.3% positive feedback, so maybe its not such a gamble. Shipping might take awhile... but he did get one negative report today in his feedback. I wouldn't do it.
    03-23-09 02:59 PM
    You can never go wrong with a good name brand product (i.e. Bell).
    But if you're trying to pinch pennies and save a couple of bucks, which in this day and age is not unheard of, then look for a charger that has a built in surge protector.

I've used ebay chargers before without any issues whatsoever. As long as they do the job... they're o.k. by me.
    03-23-09 03:02 PM
    I vote no. They can void you warranty.
    really? i didn't knw that
    03-23-09 03:06 PM
    ill nvr again buy anything from ebay where the item location is overseas, i.e. Hong Kong, or UK. Not saying anything bad about those countries, I just don't think it's a good idea. I was burned on a bogus USB flash drive from China, won't let it happen again.

That guy is in HK and has a 99.3% positive feedback, so maybe its not such a gamble. Shipping might take awhile... but he did get one negative report today in his feedback. I wouldn't do it.
    In this situation... I concur.
    I also look for sellers that are states side.
    If you do decide to go with ebay, do a little searching around and look for a better vendor in the states. I know for a fact that there's a bunch of them that support the Storm.
    03-23-09 03:07 PM
    Had a cheapo charger for my Palm Treo and it worked fine ...bought one for the Storm but after reading these posts I am not sure I'll use it.
    03-23-09 03:27 PM
    You should be fine. The car charger is a very simple piece of equipment. For 3 bucks, there's a decent chance that the thing could crap out on you, or just not work at all. However, the chance of the cheapie doing any damage to your phone is no greater than that from a brand-name charger.
    03-23-09 03:30 PM
    You should be fine. The car charger is a very simple piece of equipment. For 3 bucks, there's a decent chance that the thing could crap out on you, or just not work at all. However, the chance of the cheapie doing any damage to your phone is no greater than that from a brand-name charger.
    Damaging the phone is my main concern. You never know, it could burst into flames like a fireball.
    03-23-09 03:39 PM
    I will buy a $3 one then MARK IT UP and sell it to you for $15 oh and I will even put a fancy logo on it so you will think its good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 03:40 PM
    One downside in buying an aftermarket on Ebay is that you don't always know the voltage output and other specs. Just because a charger has the right tip does not mean it has the right voltage. That said, like I posted above, I've never had an aftermarket charger fry any of my electronic devices (then, again I try to buy the right charger...paying close attention to the specs).
    03-23-09 03:49 PM
    Damaging the phone is my main concern. You never know, it could burst into flames like a fireball.
    Hahah, indeed it could. Really though, there has (to my knowledge) never been anything conclusively proving that cheap chargers are dangerous. I've done the research, too, as I was curious myself.

You'll hear things like, "Don't do it dude, my girlfriend's sister's friend's brother used a cheap one and they said it shorted the phone." That's it, really. People knock things because they're cheap, and the phone-obsessed of us can be a bit snobby. I've been using $5 chargers ordered from eBay on all of my phones for the past 8 or so years, and never once have I had any problem that damaged my phone. I did order one that didn't work at all, but again, paying $5 bucks I can't say I didn't see that coming.
    03-23-09 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD