I was looking on Verizon's site and found this. I don't get how its wireless? It is compatible with the Storm.

Enter your location
    04-05-09 11:35 AM
    Not too many details on the site.... If I had to guess, I would say you charge the device and it stores power for when you do need to charge your phone. The only other thing I could think of is maybe it takes AA or AAA batteries. Not sure, just my $0.02.
    04-05-09 11:38 AM
    i think it just runs on batteries and you plug the phone in from the other side.
    04-05-09 11:39 AM
    There is no wire between it and your phone. To charge it, it plugs into the wall. Key like wording is all it is. Baiscly you have that thing attached to the side of your phone.
    04-05-09 11:40 AM
    Yes you can use it with the Storm...

6750 BlackBerry 6750
    , 7130e BlackBerry 7130e
    , 7750 BlackBerry 7750
    , 8703e BlackBerry 8703e
    , 8830 World Edition Smartphone BlackBerry 8830 World Edition Smartphone
    8830 World Edition Smartphone in Red BlackBerry 8830 World Edition Smartphone in Red
    , Curve™ 8330 smartphone in Pink BlackBerry Curve™ 8330 smartphone in Pink
    , Curve™ 8330 smartphone in Silver BlackBerry Curve™ 8330 smartphone in Silver
    , Pearl™ 8130 smartphone BlackBerry Pearl™ 8130 smartphone
    , Pearl™ 8130 smartphone in Pink BlackBerry Pearl™ 8130 smartphone in Pink
    , Storm™ 9530 smartphone
    04-05-09 11:51 AM
    Yes you can use it with the Storm...

6750 BlackBerry 6750
    , 7130e BlackBerry 7130e
    , 7750 BlackBerry 7750
    , 8703e BlackBerry 8703e
    , 8830 World Edition Smartphone BlackBerry 8830 World Edition Smartphone
    8830 World Edition Smartphone in Red BlackBerry 8830 World Edition Smartphone in Red
    , Curve 8330 smartphone in Pink BlackBerry Curve 8330 smartphone in Pink
    , Curve 8330 smartphone in Silver BlackBerry Curve 8330 smartphone in Silver
    , Pearl 8130 smartphone BlackBerry Pearl 8130 smartphone
    , Pearl 8130 smartphone in Pink BlackBerry Pearl 8130 smartphone in Pink
    , Storm 9530 smartphone
    LOL. I already said it was compatible in my first post. My question was how is it wireless.
    04-05-09 11:52 AM
    LOL. I already said it was compatible in my first post. My question was how is it wireless.
    Its just fancy marketing wording. there is no actually wire on it. It just attaches srtaight to your phone.
    04-05-09 11:55 AM
    Misread sorry my bad...

It's just a battery pack u plug into the wall.. then when the Storm is dead you plug it into the Storm with a inline adapter.
    04-05-09 11:55 AM
    Inline adapter, see maybe if I knew the technical terms my post would have more sence.... lol
    04-05-09 11:57 AM
    Which would be a better purchase: This thing, or a backup storm battery?
    04-05-09 12:01 PM
    Wireless power charging is hardly anything new, but there are a number of problems with it. Usually it involves tightly focused microwaves, because most everything else in the EM spectrum is just not going to be efficient enough.

My guess would be that this thing is probably using radio waves of some kind, and that it barely generates enough power to charge the phone. But then you have to remember that USB is only 5V @ 500mA, which is ridiculously weak. So, getting that kind of power to transmit over a short distance of maybe 10ft or less, isn't all that hard to believe. You get a far bigger jolt than that from your average static shock. That is probably below the threshold of what most people can even feel.

But this isn't likely all it's cracked up to be. It would probably be slower than charging via USB on account of the power stream wouldn't be as steady. It would be subject to interference from all kinds of things, and would need an unobstructed path. Not quite line of sight, but it's likely a very weak signal, so any objects it has to pass through on the way will diminish the range.

You can try it if you like, but don't bother waking me until they come up with a zero-point charger.

Edit: Or it could just be like sideshow said. I didn't really bother looking at the link, and was just speaking as to hypothetically how something like that could work... Assuming there were no wires at all involved in the charging.
    04-05-09 12:03 PM
    Wireless power charging is hardly anything new, but there are a number of problems with it. Usually it involves tightly focused microwaves, because most everything else in the EM spectrum is just not going to be efficient enough.

My guess would be that this thing is probably using radio waves of some kind, and that it barely generates enough power to charge the phone. But then you have to remember that USB is only 5V @ 500mA, which is ridiculously weak. So, getting that kind of power to transmit over a short distance of maybe 10ft or less, isn't all that hard to believe. You get a far bigger jolt than that from your average static shock. That is probably below the threshold of what most people can even feel.

But this isn't likely all it's cracked up to be. It would probably be slower than charging via USB on account of the power stream wouldn't be as steady. It would be subject to interference from all kinds of things, and would need an unobstructed path. Not quite line of sight, but it's likely a very weak signal, so any objects it has to pass through on the way will diminish the range.

You can try it if you like, but don't bother waking me until they come up with a zero-point charger.

Edit: Or it could just be like sideshow said. I didn't really bother looking at the link, and was just speaking as to hypothetically how something like that could work... Assuming there were no wires at all involved in the charging.
    I've heard of this too but i don't think this is the same technology. Plus its $29.99 LOL, what you're talking about would probably cost like $299.99 LOL
    04-05-09 12:08 PM
    I've heard of this too but i don't think this is the same technology. Plus its $29.99 LOL, what you're talking about would probably cost like $299.99 LOL
    That and cause the most AMAZING forms of Brain cancer lol
    04-05-09 12:11 PM
    Which would be a better purchase: This thing, or a backup storm battery?
    I'd go with this... since you'd have to pull the batteries to charge them in and out of the phones... UNLESS you got a charging cradle that had a slot for a extra battery... I'd just get this... Dead battery... pop this on it and just let it set on the desk...
    04-05-09 12:13 PM
    It gets charged and stores the energy until you need it. It says in the description of it that it is, "Reusable – can be recharged over and over, so you'll always have power on the go". If you look at the bottom of it in the picture, it has a notch where you would plug in a charger for it.
    04-05-09 12:15 PM
    is just a backup charger....so when you run out of juice just plug it into your storm.
    04-05-09 12:16 PM
    how about just getting the extended battery & not needing this at all?
    04-05-09 01:24 PM
    Perhaps its like the sync pod...wireless means it still needs wires, they just don't give you any when you buy it roflmao
    04-05-09 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD