I bought a new curve 8530 at the beginning of April, 2010 from Bell. From the outset the reception was terrible ( i live near toronto ). They sent the phone away for repair, charging me for a loaner, now it is a bit better but apparently according to Rim, I now have a 3 month old refurbished phone with no warrantee because of the repair by flextronics. I am just trying to get this phone to make decent calls like my loaner phone did ( a tour). Will a skin help? maybe I have the death grip? Or should I scrap this phone all together? I am considering buying out my contract because of the run around I get between Bell, the independent bell store, and rim ( all who take no responsibility for my lemon phone )
    PS. I also bought a samsung vice at the same time and it works 100 times better than the blackberry.
    07-19-10 08:32 AM
    I wouldn't think so. IPhones problems stem from the fact that the external metal bands are the antenna. The BlackBerry antenna is internal to the phone. You can cover it up but not short it like iPhone. Sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-10 09:08 AM
    No a case wouldn't help, the antenna is inside the phone, not outside (like iPhone's). What you can do to improve your reception is to update to the latest 5.0 (which is .734).

Or you can try updating your PRL...
    Options > Mobile Network > HIT THE MENU KEY > Update Preferred List
    Options > Mobile Network > HIT THE MENU KEY > Update Profile
    07-19-10 11:00 AM
    No a case wouldn't help, the antenna is inside the phone, not outside (like iPhone's). What you can do to improve your reception is to update to the latest 5.0 (which is .734).

Or you can try updating your PRL...
    Options > Mobile Network > HIT THE MENU KEY > Update Preferred List
    Options > Mobile Network > HIT THE MENU KEY > Update Profile
    don't have those options on my phone. Just have a run test or something like that.

what software or o/s version do you have on your 8530?
    07-21-10 12:16 PM
    don't have those options on my phone. Just have a run test or something like that.

what software or o/s version do you have on your 8530?
    Some phone doesn't have that option. I think it's a carrier specified setting.

Well, just try updating to 5.0.0.734, which is what I'm using. See if that works and improves your phone's reception.
    07-21-10 12:47 PM
    Get a skin anyways, keep the resale value up over the time of use.

Examine the "dBm" meter in the status screen under options (higher means worse), with and without a skin/case it won't make a difference. The death grip barely changes it either but it depends on if you're in a weak fringe area or not.

Official statement from Research In Motion in response to Apple's iPhone 4 Antennagate propaganda! | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by sookster54; 07-21-10 at 01:54 PM.
    07-21-10 01:50 PM
    What is the update profile? I'm aware of the PRL. I have 5.0.0.395 and I bought the phone in March. This shouldn't be an old version should it?
    07-21-10 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD