Hello
    I am thinking of purchasing a Blackberry Curve.
    I work in the construction business and need to know hoe this phone will standup to dusty enviroments?
    I am thinking of purchasing a Zagg invisableshield:

Will this product solve my problem?
    Are keys still easily used?
    I also plan on buying a case and holster which will allow the device to be put in with keys and screen facing inward to give even more protection?
    I have also heard dust is a major problem for the trackball?
    Are they cleanable, exchangeable?
    Thank-you for any advice.
    06-28-08 07:22 PM
    I'd suggest you go with an Otterbox - should cover most of your issues. And you can most certaintly replace the trackball should you need to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-08 07:46 PM
    As a recent purchaser of a Pearl, I don't have any long-term experience with it in dusty environments. However I work in an asphalt testing lab and a quarry at an asphalt plant so I'm around very fine dust all the time. I've been carrying my pearl with me at work for about a month now and have had no problems. I am concerned about long term dust exposure, and just picked up a Nite Ize backbone 10 case. I was looking at some other options, but I couldn't find anything else that was completely sealed. This case is heavy ballistic nylon with a pretty solid belt clip, and it zips closed (with a water resistant zipper) so it is completely sealed (no little holes in the corners, etc.) so it should be pretty dust resistant. it is a pretty bulky case and is a little oversized for the pearl...it might fit a curve very well...

MB

Edit: previous experience with other phones in cases that have clear plastic covers over keypads: dust gets in the holes in these plastic covers (like around buttons and mics) and gets stuck between the plastic and the keys and turns them into sandpaper. My Moto v557 isn't very pretty anymore...
    Last edited by Mainiak Blaniak; 06-28-08 at 07:54 PM.
    06-28-08 07:47 PM
    My dad works for Cat as a field service tech and he has a curve with the belt holster and with that the keys face inward and he hasn't had any problems with it getting dirty. Everything works fine just like mine and my roomates.

06-28-08 07:54 PM
    I, too, work in a dusty environment. In fact, much as I dislike touchscreens (bad Palm experiences), I may end up switching to a Thunder if the trackball and keys don't stand up to dust well.
    06-28-08 08:08 PM
    What type of construction industry? Commercial, residential, highway, asphalt/concrete plants, quarry work, or utilities? Would help me understand the environment it will be subject to.

I worked at asphalt plants for 3 years running the loader and doing maintenance and emegency maintenance. I don't think it would have held up to all the dust and everything else unless you kept it in a ziploc bag. But you can always watch when you use it as well. For the past 3 years I have been back with my dad in the remodeling business. It handles it pretty well. When we are doing sheetrock I make sure I wrap it in papertowels in my pocket. Other than that it has handles the different jobs we have been on for the last 3 months. Hope this helps! I have a bse covering my screen and faces of the phone and it has protected it from tons of scratches and dirty hand prints.

06-28-08 08:15 PM
    I always thought that the transition to the Pearl-style devices and more designer, less "sturdy", phones was going to be a disaster for me. I've been in a lot of tough environments and my BlackBerry 8830 and 8703 before it have held up as well as my Panasonic Toughbook.
    06-28-08 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD