I'm in the process of moving and my oem charger got packed away in my storage unit. I bought an aftermarket charger from walmart to use in the meantime. Here is the weird problem: with the new charger connected the touchscreen becomes unresponsive. All the hard keys still work, just not the touchscreen. This problem continues until I do a battery pull. I'm running non hybrid .141. Any ideas?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 11:37 AM
    Yes non OEM wall chargers can do this. I'm not sure if it will cause perm damage, I think not, but I don't know. I stopped using one I had for similar reasons. Now USB cord you connect to your PC are different they are pretty much interchangeable.
    05-21-09 11:56 AM
    Unfortunately I'm at my inlaws and my computer isn't set up. My father in law doesn't like anyone using his computer so us is out. Is buying a vzw charger my only option? And why would a after market charger cause this problem?

05-21-09 01:15 PM
    Anytime you use a non OEM product you run the risk of problems arising. Many times yor warranty would be voided for using such products.
    05-21-09 01:32 PM
    I bought an aftermarket charger from wal mart about 5 mos. ago and haven't had any issues like your describing with it. Wierd....
    Oh....and are we talking about a car or wall charger? I have both and no probs whatsoever.

05-21-09 01:39 PM
    I was told once that an aftermarket charger can void your phone's warranty, because the voltages aren't properly regulated.
    05-21-09 01:59 PM
    I was told once that an aftermarket charger can void your phone's warranty, because the voltages aren't properly regulated.
    this is correct
    05-21-09 03:51 PM
    Do you think this could cause any damage to the phone? Pretty sure my warantee is already voided by running a leaked os so not too concerned about that

05-21-09 04:05 PM
    Bump

10 char

05-21-09 10:25 PM
    It could cause damage to the phone but more than likely its just fine. Bite the bullet and get a real charger from VZW.
    05-21-09 10:30 PM
    I work for vzw and I can't tell you how many people come in with frozen storms because of an after market charger
    Like cenloe said, bite the bullet

05-21-09 10:48 PM
    this is correct
    Not that I don't believe you one way or the other, but where can this be found? Or where can I read about this?
    05-21-09 11:01 PM
    I have had great luck with all sorts of aftermarket electronics stuff. My Storm aftermarket wall charger is the exception. Same problem as you described. My aftermarket car charger and battery are great.

05-21-09 11:11 PM
    I have had great luck with all sorts of aftermarket electronics stuff. My Storm aftermarket wall charger is the exception. Same problem as you described. My aftermarket car charger and battery are great.

I forget to add that I use an aftermarket phillips retractable car charger with no issues but lot of people come in with frozen phones due to cheap chargers

05-21-09 11:25 PM
    I asked a coworker to go over to the Verizon store next to us because I was working and she was going by there anyway and pick me up a car charger. The charger the Verizon store sold her wasn't in Verizon packaging and said something like The Cellular Connection or something on it. It looked similar to something Verizon would put out but the company name made me wonder. The store says Verizon Wireless on it and doesn't say they are a reseller. I'll have to look into it further. Anyway, that charger did the same thing to my phone...had to reboot to get the screen to respond again. Oh, and I forgot to mention this charger was 30 bucks before my employee discount so it wasn't like it was a cheap one or anything.
    05-21-09 11:34 PM
    I work for verizon, and I have the same problem. This post was exactly what I was looking for. OEM chargers do not cause this problem at all.
    05-22-09 04:22 PM
    Yep - you get what pay for. Ripped off either way.

05-23-09 12:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD