Why sell accessories for the 8900...that aren't compatible 8900?

like lanyards and charms...the 8900 doesn't have a slot for them..*i wouldn't know since i don't have it yet*

and a site has SD cards that wont be accepted by the 8900..like a standard SD card...I made sure to specify the selection criteria by selection the curve 8900 but the only have standard SD cards...

what's the point?
    02-02-09 12:00 AM
    Why sell accessories for the 8900...that aren't compatible 8900?

like lanyards and charms...the 8900 doesn't have a slot for them..*i wouldn't know since i don't have it yet*

and a site has SD cards that wont be accepted by the 8900..like a standard SD card...I made sure to specify the selection criteria by selection the curve 8900 but the only have standard SD cards...

what's the point?
    The point is to make money. Since the 8900 is a new phone, a lot of companies will probably try to make profit off of crackberry addicts!
    02-02-09 12:14 AM
    Hate to nitpick, but on the upperleft corner of the 8900 there is a small hole for a lanyard string.
    02-02-09 02:07 AM
    Hate to nitpick, but on the upperleft corner of the 8900 there is a small hole for a lanyard string.
    You sure about that?
    02-02-09 06:44 AM
    I am

It is there!!
    02-02-09 06:50 AM
    I say that because, it seems weird that RIM would want users tampering with the phone in such a way just to put a lanyard on it. I assume you guys are unscrewing the silver screw and looping it around that?

If that is the case, it hardly seems worth it. It's not like they've used a conventional cross head screw... why wouldnt they just do the norm and have a two hole opening.
    02-02-09 07:06 AM
    I'm not sure you need to loosen the screw. Just above the screw (with the back cover off) there is a small plastic nub. It seems to me that you could thread the loop through the side hole and then over the nub, replace the back cover and you're done - not that I would use it or even trust it.
    02-02-09 08:17 AM
    I'm not sure you need to loosen the screw. Just above the screw (with the back cover off) there is a small plastic nub. It seems to me that you could thread the loop through the side hole and then over the nub, replace the back cover and you're done - not that I would use it or even trust it.
    Yep that is what I think it is for too!!!
    02-02-09 09:51 AM
    The point is to make money. Since the 8900 is a new phone, a lot of companies will probably try to make profit off of crackberry addicts!
    do u know how many stores i've been to asking for an 8900 leather case holster only to be told the "8300 series works just fine"

the phones are totally different dimensions! the 8900 is thinnner and actually longer so the top flap doesn't quite close and the sleep magnet doesn't always kick in.

now that i'm using a crystal case, my mission is to find an 8900 case that has enough wiggle room to fit the extra thickness with an effective sleep magnet.

WISH ME LUCK!!!
    02-02-09 10:27 AM
    You sure about that?
    I say that because, it seems weird that RIM would want users tampering with the phone in such a way just to put a lanyard on it. I assume you guys are unscrewing the silver screw and looping it around that?

If that is the case, it hardly seems worth it. It's not like they've used a conventional cross head screw... why wouldnt they just do the norm and have a two hole opening.
    There is not tampering involved and Shorynot is correct on this. There is a small hole on the top left side of the phone.

First take off your battery door then pass the lanyard string into that hole on the top left you will see the string.

Above the screw next to that same hole there is a little piece of plastic with a small hook to catch the string.

Place the loop of your string over that small hook

Pull back your slack and then put your battery door back on.

Enjoy.
    02-02-09 10:39 AM
    cool thanks....i can finally use my anime lanyard
    02-02-09 11:19 AM
    There is not tampering involved and Shorynot is correct on this. There is a small hole on the top left side of the phone.

First take off your battery door then pass the lanyard string into that hole on the top left you will see the string.

Above the screw next to that same hole there is a little piece of plastic with a small hook to catch the string.

Place the loop of your string over that small hook

Pull back your slack and then put your battery door back on.

Enjoy.

I think I'M starting to nitpick here lol..

i just opened my case back...and to be honest what you guys are saying seems illogical. I would be more convinced if it was indeed a small hook, but to me it just looks like a short tiny plastic stub for added support to the case back, and to imagine wrapping string around it seems really risky imo There's nothing really to stop it sliding off.

But hey, it's your phone so do as you please
    02-02-09 11:57 AM
    Well, that's what it is designed to do, hold the lanyard. Quality control question with RIM is something else completely.
    02-02-09 12:36 PM
    Works for me. Always wondered what that useless hole was for. Never noticed the tiny pick at the back but it makes sense now. I too would not trust it on a lanyard but at least now I can put my charms on it =). Thanks!
    02-03-09 12:47 AM
    You can always loosen the screw and use it to secure a Lanyard.
    02-03-09 07:17 AM
    Good call Clint. That sounds like a good idea if you are into lanyards.
    02-03-09 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD