I tried to charge my Pearl via the usb cable and it said it couldn't. Why not?
    06-16-08 04:11 PM
    is the port your using on th ecomputer a v1.1 usb or a v2?
    06-16-08 04:20 PM
    Some USB ports simply dont have enough power output to charge...which leads me to believe that you are running a v1.1 because v2 should charge no problem...(if i am incorrect someone please correct me but this is what i was told)
    06-16-08 04:28 PM
    Some USB ports simply dont have enough power output to charge...which leads me to believe that you are running a v1.1 because v2 should charge no problem...(if i am incorrect someone please correct me but this is what i was told)
    thanks for the echo
    06-16-08 04:29 PM
    I am using a Mac Notebook. I have no idea
    06-16-08 04:32 PM
    thanks for the echo
    Um You answered a question with a question... i gave an answer... but your welcome i guess...
    06-16-08 04:36 PM
    Um You answered a question with a question... i gave an answer... but your welcome i guess...

sometimes echos get distorted when they come back ..

same info different words..

it all lead to the same ending...
    06-16-08 04:40 PM
    This is wierd - again, because this one comes up about every two weeks. IT's not a problem but it just will not go away.

The USB spec is to provide 500mA (half an amp) at 5 volts. This is supplied by a hardware chaip and should need no drivers. I have tried several PCs, wall chargers, Blackberrys and cables. Some work, some don't.

I'm a hardware guy and this makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Now I only charge my phone using the original Blackberry wall charger which works all the time, every time.
    06-16-08 04:42 PM
    You need to install PocketMac, download link available on blackberry website. It wouldn't work for me either until I downloaded the software.
    06-16-08 04:44 PM
    drivers are required to get full power out of a usb port, or rather a device must enumerate and then request full power. ive noticed that my motorola S9 headset just emulates a generic HID (mouse, keyboard, etc) device when plugged in to do that, but the BB needs its drivers installed. I believe this can also be accomplished with some passive hardware, but its been awhile since i looked at the spec.
    Pete6, as a hardware guide, you need to take a browse through the USB spec
    Last edited by devnull; 06-16-08 at 06:40 PM.
    06-16-08 06:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD