03-02-10 06:38 PM
30 12
tools
    While looking through some of my contacts profiles in BBM I notice some of the pins have the letters in lower case, while most are in Capital lettering. Is there any specific reason for that?

Some examples with Caps

Some with lower case

03-01-10 01:43 PM
    why the sky is blue? Doesnt change anything, it's only a letter.
    03-01-10 01:46 PM
    Might it be how you added them? if you typed them in Cap or not?
    03-01-10 01:57 PM
    PIN numbers are based on 16, not the usual 10 we are familiar with. It makes more sense for the computer becasue it matches up perfectly with binary 0 and 1 notation.

In Hexadecimal notation you have the numbers 0-9, a, b, c, d, e, f.

That means that some PIN numbers will have only the usual number and most others will have one or more of the letters.

Taken together, the 8 hex digits allow over 4 Billion unique PIN numbers.
    03-01-10 02:54 PM
    PIN numbers are based on 16, not the usual 10 we are familiar with. It makes more sense for the computer becasue it matches up perfectly with binary 0 and 1 notation.

That means that some PIN numbers will have only the usual number and most others will have one or more of the letters.

My mind has just exploded
    03-01-10 03:09 PM
    I have a couple too that are in lowercase, and would also like to know this too. I have never noticed the different cases before. Good question!

Reed McLay, Can this binary code use lowercase and caps then? So this could be for even more overall unique PIN's?
    03-01-10 03:14 PM
    Upper or lower case is simply a matter of pressing the shift key. In hex numbers it doesn't matter, A=a
    03-01-10 03:18 PM

Yes but how does it explain the differences in the upper case and lower case letters used in the PIN. When you add a PIN to the BBM it doesnt make any difference whether you apply upper or lower case letters since they both represent the same 4 binary digits if im not mistaken. So why the differences in the pictures above.

For example will the bbm distinguish between 1a3a5b7c and 1A3A5B7C?
    Last edited by bushako; 03-01-10 at 03:59 PM.
    03-01-10 03:47 PM
    For example will the bbm distinguish between 1a3a5b7c and 1A3A5B7C?
    Exactly the same.....
    03-01-10 04:06 PM
    Because some people like big letters and others don't.
    03-01-10 04:23 PM

Does that mean that RIM is running out of unique pin #s due to all of the storm and tour replacements?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-10 04:41 PM
    I noticed that on one my contacts too but found out it was because that PIN was no longer theirs. They had changed to a new device and did not load their old contact list. I could be wrong but that was the case for the pin with lowercase letters.

03-01-10 05:11 PM

What I think he could be saying is 0-9 and a, b, c, d are being read as numbers by a compter as well. All caps would be the actual letters....
    so like 1a would actually be a 10 if I understand properly and 1A would be well 1A.
    03-01-10 06:36 PM
    i like lower case. upper case is just annoying because it hurts my eyes.
    03-01-10 06:54 PM
    What I think he could be saying is 0-9 and a, b, c, d are being read as numbers by a compter as well. All caps would be the actual letters....
    so like 1a would actually be a 10 if I understand properly and 1A would be well 1A.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world- Those that understand binary and those that don't.....(old nerd joke, hehe)

03-01-10 07:27 PM
    they are lowercase because thats how you typed it when you added them by PIN i think. it doesnt matter if its lowercase or not, its all the same.
    03-01-10 08:34 PM
    they are lowercase because thats how you typed it when you added them by PIN i think. it doesnt matter if its lowercase or not, its all the same.

Nah I tried that both ways with my friend earlier by deleting and re adding, still the same thing. I'm aware its all the same, and actually noticed this morning for the first time. I just thought there was some sort of reasoning behind it. Oh well I know it's nothing serious a pin is a pin .
    03-01-10 08:55 PM
    Cain is that correct lol?

03-01-10 10:03 PM
    Its just a silly nerd joke, Aaron. . For most people that are not programmers (GEEKS) the number 10 just means ten. In binary, the expression 10 means the number 2. When speaking a binary number aloud, 10 would be phrased as "one zero" or "two", rather than "ten". So, if you are a little nerdy you would read it as "There are only TWO types of people in this world- Those that know binary and those that don't. I hope that explains it because I have just confirmed that I am probably one of the biggest nerds on this forum. Lol

03-01-10 10:41 PM
    when you learned your abcd's in preschool, you were taught both uppercase and lowercase. you had to write them out repeatedly.but in the end to me, lowercase is more user friendly.
    03-01-10 10:46 PM
    I've had this same question for ever, after looking contact by contact, I think that this happens if there are 3 or more letters together. Maybe not.
    03-01-10 10:50 PM
    I've had this same question for ever, after looking contact by contact, I think that this happens if there are 3 or more letters together. Maybe not.
    my PIN has four letters back to back. it shows uppercase for people when they look it up.
    03-01-10 10:52 PM
    It does not matter if the letter is lower or uppercase.
    1a2b3c4d is EXACTLY the same PIN as 1A2B3C4D. This was answered fully
    in the first few post and most definitively by Reed.
    03-01-10 11:12 PM
    You may have added them in that case sensitivity.
    03-01-10 11:26 PM
    Its just a silly nerd joke, Aaron. . For most people that are not programmers (GEEKS) the number 10 just means ten. In binary, the expression 10 means the number 2. When speaking a binary number aloud, 10 would be phrased as "one zero" or "two", rather than "ten". So, if you are a little nerdy you would read it as "There are only TWO types of people in this world- Those that know binary and those that don't. I hope that explains it because I have just confirmed that I am probably one of the biggest nerds on this forum. Lol

I don't really know binary but I understood your joke. But yes, you probably are one of the biggest nerds here though...

03-01-10 11:49 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD