View Poll Results: Use a case or not?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't use a case.

3 23.08%
  • Use a case that forms to BB like a OtterBox.

6 46.15%
  • Use just a case designed to put in and out.

5 38.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    So I have 4 BB Curves and 1 BB Pearl and some of these belong to kids. I have been looking at the OtterBox, but I don't know much about them except the are around $50.
    Does any have or use a OtterBox? If so what do you think of them?
    What would you recommend?

Thank in advance,
    10-03-08 11:49 PM
    Can't vote in your poll as there are no options for:

A) Adds way too much bulk
    B) Is the single most horrid looking case I have ever seen.
    10-04-08 01:57 AM
    There's been much talk about the Otterbox on this forum. If you look at a post from Friday, "I'm thinking of getting an Otterbox" you will see quite a few opinions.

After researching the Otterbox case for my Curve, I decided to got ahead and get one.

I got mine yesterday. It was a rather easy decision seeing that my company paid for it.

It was easy to install and only took about 5 minutes.

The previous post from Graceless does make a point as for it's look. In the holster it looks like a big black block sitting on your hip. And the comment about it's bulk is somewhat true, however I found that the opinions on the comment "Adds way too much bulk" varies among users.

After watching a Youtube video post on the case, I felt it was what I was looking for, which was a case that protected my Curve from random drops, dust/dirt and light rain exposure.

After I installed the case onto my Curve, I just had to do the "Drop Test" onto a concrete floor. I might add my Curve is fully insured. I dropped my Curve from about hip height a few times and was very pleased by the results. Absolutely no damage.

I'm not concerned about it's appearance, but I was concerned about it's bulk, because I like to carry my Curve in my pants pocket. I was very pleased by it's size. It fits in my "busy casual" pants just fine, however with jeans it is a little tight.

If you are looking for protection of your Curves and Pearl in my opinion I don't think there is a better case available that protects better than the Otterbox.

If you like to show off you BlackBerrys and therefore appearance is more important, the Otterbox is probable not the case for you.

After getting mine, if I had the need for another one and my company would not pay for it I would gladly pay for it myself, eventhough $50 does seem a little steep.

In conclusion: my recommendation is if you want it for protection, just buy one and see for yourself if it works for you and if so, then go out and buy the other 4. If appearance is important and you want everyone to know that you have a BlackBerry, go with something else.

Blueraven.
    10-04-08 05:13 AM
    Can't vote in your poll as there are no options for:

A) Adds way too much bulk
    B) Is the single most horrid looking case I have ever seen.
    HA ha AG thats funny but so true.
    10-04-08 06:10 AM
    That has to be the most horrendous case I have ever seen for a cell phone!

I use a clear plastic shell with a belt clip. I'm extremely careful with my phones but if my Curve hits the floor, the plastic shell would take the damage and all I need to do is spend another $10 bucks for a replacement shell.

By the way, this poll is missing one more option. "I just use the sorry excuse for a case that RIM included with my BB."
    10-04-08 10:03 AM
    I use the simple OEM holster. The otterbox appears to add to much bulk to the phone which I don't like. If I had a job that was grimy, greasy, etc. I might feel different about it as I'm sure it does an excellent job of keeping the phone protected. But my preference is to keep the phone "naked" and just use the OEM holster. I like the feel of it that way LOL
    10-04-08 10:07 AM
    During the summers I work at a sports complex. Dirt, water, and grass would be problems for a typical case. My otterbox is awesome in guarding against these problems! The only issue that you will have is that the trackball is exposed through the plastic cover. It is slightly bulky to where you wouldn't want it in your pocket but it. Also if you use apps that cause memory leaks and need to do battery pulls, it is a little annoying! But I highly recommend it if you want something that is durable.

If that isn't appealing and you still want a hard case, I have a friend who has a curve that uses a hard case by body glove.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-08 11:02 AM
    I use an otterbox and I wouldnt have anything else. Its bulky and ugly yes but I dont use it for a fashion show, I use it to protect my beloved berry. If its protection you want, you cant go wrong with an otterbox
    10-04-08 11:18 AM
    I came to my Verizon BB Curve from Nextel, and was looking for something that would make my BB as durable as my naked Nextel was. The Otterbox comes as close as possible, considering that it has to allow access to the trackball.

As far as looks go, it's all a matter of opinion. I frequently see people describe their phone (or a new phone model) as "sexy". If you're one of these people, then clearly the looks of the Otterbox will not appeal to you.

But if the looks of the Otterbox are a non-issue, the protection of the Otterbox can't be beat.
    10-05-08 04:34 PM
    I had a Otterbox for my Curve. I totally loved it, until . . .

I was showing off this great case to someone. They thought it was totally cool and made for awesome protection. I went to show him how it was installed. I peeled off the rubber boot and to my horror, found a big crack across the back of the Otterbox! Have no clue how it happened, but was immediately disheartened. I hadnt realized until then, that this case was made out of brittle polystyrene plastic. I wish they had made it out of Polyethylene, which is extremely tough, yet flexible. Think of the type of plastic that tupperware is made out of, only thick like the otterbox. To me, that would have made much more sense. I even fired off a letter to Otterbox, to which they never replied. So, Im looking for an alternative now.
    10-05-08 04:42 PM
    I had a Otterbox for my Curve. I totally loved it, until . . .

I was showing off this great case to someone. They thought it was totally cool and made for awesome protection. I went to show him how it was installed. I peeled off the rubber boot and to my horror, found a big crack across the back of the Otterbox! Have no clue how it happened, but was immediately disheartened. I hadnt realized until then, that this case was made out of brittle polystyrene plastic. I wish they had made it out of Polyethylene, which is extremely tough, yet flexible. Think of the type of plastic that tupperware is made out of, only thick like the otterbox. To me, that would have made much more sense. I even fired off a letter to Otterbox, to which they never replied. So, Im looking for an alternative now.
    The first Otterbox I got for my Curve arrived cracked. It was shipped in the retail box, inside a FedEx envelope (by a reseller, not Otterbox). I attributed the crack to the poor packaging, and the fact that the case itself was not assembled inside the box. Maybe they are intended to be a single-use item, like a motorcycle helmet?
    10-05-08 04:56 PM
    I am thinking of getting one for my Bold. Any feedback?
    10-05-08 05:54 PM
    try it, you might like it. Buy directly from Otterbox, returns are never questioned if needed. Besides, they're nice people. If you don't like it after giving it a fair shake, send it back.

10-07-08 11:57 PM
    The otterbox is by far the best protection available for your blackberry. The customer service is also exceptional. I called them today because the otterbox on my Curve was not snapping together properly. They are sending me a new one in the mail. No questions asked. I have had an otterbox on my pearl for over a year with no problems. It still looks brand new when I take it out of the case. It's well worth a little bulk to have this kind of protection.

10-08-08 12:13 AM
    yes this is tru i have an otterbox and well lets just say this im going to be selling mine the only thing that is missing is the clip because the person who sent it too me didnt send the case ugh but im pretty sure you can buy the case of crackberry for cheap so if anyone is interested bbm me thanks in advance
    10-08-08 12:34 AM
    I just bought my first pda ever, the curve, and my biggest fear is dropping it as much as I dropped my crappy cell phone.

Sprint offered me an extra $50 rebate so I figured I would invest it on some serious protection. I slammed it a couple of times to test it out and I feel pretty confident that it will do a good job protecting my curve.

Yes, it is bulky. It isn't once you take it out of the holster. I went to a concert Saturday and I slipped it into the back pocket of my jeans and all was well.

To me, the biggest negative is smoothing out the air bubbles and the fact that the film distorts the camera lens. Eh, I will cut a little hole.

I would say, if you are a bit klutzy and/or careless with cell phones, get an otter box. If not, then maybe get something else.
    10-08-08 12:40 AM
    I would say, if you are a bit klutzy and/or careless with cell phones, get an otter box. If not, then maybe get something else.
    I am very klutzy (thus the screen name) and still will never again order or
    put one of those things on my phone. Speck clear case and a BSE is as good
    as it gets for me. Minimal bulk, great protection.
    10-08-08 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD