Hi Just upgaraded from my old Pearl to 8520 OS 5 and as always ordered a now holster to keep it safe in. I have spent all last night trying to find the option of AUTO SLEEP / key lock when in holster but to no sign of option any ideas or is it now an APP i need to buy ???? very lost and dissapointed if so can any one help thanks.
    using side button to lock key pad but was very happy with it locking when put away.
    thanks
    06-03-10 06:44 AM
    Holster Mode (sleep) is invoked automatically by a magnet in the holster when you put the phone into it. There is no app. It is a part of the phone and the holster.

It sounds like the holster you have may not have a magnet built in.

Does the holster stick to the front of the fridge? If it does, you have a magnet built in.
    06-03-10 06:50 AM
    Its a BB Holster and yes it would stick to the fridge ( yes sad enough to try it during lunch. But no lock and even tried phone front in or facing out and still no lock or the option to take off. some site say its been removed from OS5 and now an APP
    06-03-10 07:03 AM
    That is weird. I have never seen a (modern) BlackBerry that did not have a magnetic switch under the keyboard.

The only things I can suggest are that

- you put the phone in the holster with the keyboard facing the side with the magnet.
    - you try another BlackBerry in your holster
    - get a good magnet and hold it over the keyboard and see if the phone goes to sleep.

I would also go to a phone store and ask to test out another 8520 to see if yours is defective or if the 8520 does not have a magnetic holster mode switch but that would be really off base if true.
    06-03-10 08:58 AM
    Check if Options > Password > Lock while in holster (or whatever the last option reads) is On.
    06-03-10 09:01 AM
    thanks for that never thought of looking in paswords Doh.
    All sorted thanks for all the replays.

Keith
    06-03-10 09:56 AM
    My holster has a magnet on the flap and it doesn't put the phone to sleep unless I let the inside of the flap touch the keyboard. Is it possible it's a design flaw of the holster, or is it just a weak magnet? Is your case's magnet located on the flap or on the case itself?

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 08:30 PM
    My holster has a magnet on the flap and it doesn't put the phone to sleep unless I let the inside of the flap touch the keyboard. Is it possible it's a design flaw of the holster, or is it just a weak magnet? Is your case's magnet located on the flap or on the case itself?

Thanks.

Which holster do you have? Is it for the 8520/8530?
    06-03-10 09:10 PM
    I was pulling my hair out trying to get my 8530 to go into stand by like my 8330 did in holster, no need to lock phone or unlock or push standby button. I use the 8330 leather holster and love that case because i work construction and a belt case wont work for me.
    I looked on all sites. rim's site, sprints site, here and was frustrated as ****, called sprit and the moron tech said phone isnt capable of it lol, so i did as i read here and turned phone around in case so keyboard faces the slot where the case has the leather strip and sure as **** it works, yesssss!!!!!!! no more profile changes or calls to guam lol
    06-27-10 10:22 AM
    my wife has 8530 her case wont put hers to sleep, i have to assume because of weak magnet because when i drop it in the otter box holster for my 8350i it sleeps instantly. im assuming there is no way to adjust the magnet sensativity for these phones is there?
    08-05-10 02:23 PM
    my wife has 8530 her case wont put hers to sleep, i have to assume because of weak magnet because when i drop it in the otter box holster for my 8350i it sleeps instantly. im assuming there is no way to adjust the magnet sensativity for these phones is there?
    No, there's no sensitivity adjustment. However, a magnet could be purchased, and glued beneath a piece of soft cloth that could turn any pouch into a sleeper.

Last edited by BergerKing; 08-05-10 at 02:53 PM.
    08-05-10 02:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD