Hey everyone. I'm trying to figure this out. My first bb was 8703e. I could plug it into pretty much any mini USB device or charger and it would charge. Most my chargers were the $5 cheapies on ebay, or I'd use my GPS car chargers and so on.

Next I got the storm, and because it was different I bought a bunch more micro-usb chargers on ebay, but none of these would work, only the official Rim charger it came with. Now I have the Tour, but it's the same deal. For some reason my friend can use a mini-usb to microusb adapter on his tomtom charger in the car and it works, yet the same on in my car doesn't work at all. I just went camping, this adapter didn't work on my tomtom or garmin chargers in the car. I tried plugging the usb cable into the USB in port in my bmw and that didn't work either, it would give a batter with a lightning bolt but never do anything, then finally even my car to home outlet plug that wouldn't work. I just got home, plugged it into the wall with the official charger and it charged right up. So I don't get it, is it only official rim chargers that work or what's the deal? It's so annoying!
    08-16-09 07:57 PM
    I bought a bunch of adapters and they all seem to work fine. I haven't tried one in my car yet, but they all work fine with the Motorola chargers with mini-USB connections that I acquired over the years.
    08-16-09 09:12 PM
    i just tried 3 different chargers and theyve all worked.
    08-16-09 09:37 PM
    The charger (home) that came with the tour no longer charges the tour. It will work with my storm and the storm charger that came with the storm works on the tour. Same home chargers but different results....weird

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-09 09:49 PM
    I have a number of different micro USB chargers and they all have been interchangeable so far. I have not however tries a mini to micro converter so don't know 'bout that one. It dose annoy me though that to charge from a PC you need to have Desktop manager installed. Dose anyone else have this problem?
    08-16-09 11:23 PM
    I don't know it just drives me nuts. The car chargers I bought on ebay for my storm were garbage, they would show charging but never do anything. Just thought maybe I was missing something here. It's just weird that my friend can use a mini to micro adapter on my tomtom charger in his car, but in mine with my adapter it doesn't work.
    08-17-09 08:11 AM
    I don't know it just drives me nuts. The car chargers I bought on ebay for my storm were garbage, they would show charging but never do anything. Just thought maybe I was missing something here. It's just weird that my friend can use a mini to micro adapter on my tomtom charger in his car, but in mine with my adapter it doesn't work.
    There's a reason for this. USB chargers and the devices they charge all have chips in them that determine the max voltage a device can handle. The maximum current a USB port can put out is 500mA. The max voltage is 5v which means the max power is 2.5W. If a USB charger can't properly communicate with the device it's charging then by default the current drops to 100mA 1/5 the current. The voltage is the same so the power is only 1/2 a Watt. At this rate it will take FOREVER to charge your device.

This is the same reason why people have trouble charging their BlackBerry's from their computers. They don't install Desktop Manager (or the correct version, Tour came with DM 5.0 so make sure you use DM 5.0+ on your computers) which also installs the proper drivers for the device. This is why sometimes you'll get a message on the device that says 'not enough current' or something like that, I forget the exact wording.

Your friend's Tomtom charger probably handshakes correctly with the Tour and that's why it works and your "cheapies from ebay" don't. My wife bought a secondary iPod charger, brand name but forget which, and it just has a standard USB power on the other end which you plug in an included iPod sync cable. I thought one time on vacation that I could just plug in my 8830 into it using a mini-USB cable but no dice.

If you plug in the Tour into your other chargers and it shows the lightning bolt but you notice it seems to not charge it's probably under-current (100mA) and will take HOURS to charge. If you notice no lightning bolt icon at ALL then obviously it definitely won't work at all.

The charger (home) that came with the tour no longer charges the tour. It will work with my storm and the storm charger that came with the storm works on the tour. Same home chargers but different results....weird
    Definitely WEIRD... hmm
    Last edited by gimpyviper; 08-17-09 at 08:52 AM.
    08-17-09 08:49 AM
    Great thanks for the reply that's a huge help! It's just weird how in his car using his tomtom charger and his mini to micro adapter it worked, but in my car using my tomtom charger and my own mini to micro adapter it didn't. Just makes it frustrating knowing what to buy, especially when an official rim charger is 10x more expensive than a cheapie on ebay. I guess the best option is really just to email the person and see if they guarantee it will work or money back or something.
    08-17-09 05:05 PM
    I've always stuck with motorola chargers, as I've found they have always worked with any bb I've owned. Now with the tour, I bought 3 of the motorola mini to micro usb adapters from Amazon (for .97 each) and they all work with any of the 10 moto chargers I've accumulated over the years. In the car, I use a moto car charger for my garmin, then plug on the adapter to charge the tour. You can get OEM bb chargers pretty cheap online from multiple sources if you really need to have the bb branded ones.
    08-17-09 05:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD