I would rather keep this phone in my back pocket... whats a good case to prevent dust from getting into my screen?

I know there is an otter box defender out there but for $50 there has to be a better option.

The Commuter and Impact otter box dont seem like they would help out at all either, I do need a pouch I can carry it in that wont give me a lot of dust issues.

(Right now, Im using a chrome top and bottom hard cover, all ports are still open, so no dust prevention)
    Last edited by AaronJP; 01-31-10 at 08:11 PM.
    01-31-10 08:04 PM
    As far as I can tell, and I've been looking, the Otterbox Defender and Commuter series, followed by Case-Mate Hybrid case, are the best cases out there for dust prevention. Case-Mate's Hybrid and Otterbox Commuter have no holster and are much, much easier to get in a pocket than the Defender. I have the Defender so I can't vouch for how easy the other two are to slide in and out pockets.
    On dust intrusion, the Otterbox cases cover more; open areas will be the mic port, edges around the screen, and a slit right above the camera window. The Case-mate doesn't appear to have the ports covered aside from the headset jack and micro-USB port, plus when I viewed the photos it looks like some of the face is bared whereas the Otterbox has it covered (scuze the pun).
    Here's links:

BlackBerry Storm2 Commuter Case // OtterBox.com

Case-Mate BlackBerry Storm2 9550 Hybrid Tough Cases (Case-Mate BB9550HY), BlackBerry Storm2 9550 Cases, Holsters, Skins, and Accessories in Premium Leather

I've always gone with Otterbox personally, I have no experience with Case-mate
    02-02-10 02:09 AM
    I just ordered the case mate, because I looked at the otterbox and it did leave the edges open and as of right now I have enough dust in my screen. Just from the pics of the otterbox I didn't order it because it wouldn't help my cause, plus, people said that the commuter silicone gets a TON of dust stuck to it, leaving the fact that the silicone stops right at the edges of the screen, the dust would either fly off the otterbox and into the air, or down and into the edges.... the latter seems to be a more probable thing to happen. So I thought I'd look around and some people said that the case-mate doesn't get much dust, so I went for that one. I'll let you know when it gets here (if it gets here). They said 3-4 weeks shipping (lame). Until then, I've been using an epik case, and a white one which actually covers more of the screen.
    02-02-10 03:14 AM
    Saran wrap, the wrap of many uses. Cheap, light, and actually works great on phones. Doesn't look that great, but form over function, dude!
    02-02-10 04:03 AM
    Saran wrap, the wrap of many uses. Cheap, light, and actually works great on phones. Doesn't look that great, but form over function, dude!
    Haha. I might agree but the problem is that it rips very easily and there is the problem. Just from taking it out from my pocket the wrap rips and leaves me protectionless for the rest of the day. That meant that I had to carry around and extra roll and then I couldn't keep that in my pocket. So there you go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-10 04:08 AM
    Actually you should try it. It doesn't rip at all, you put a couple of wraps around it and pull it tight. I live in a desert area and all my equipment collects dust like you wouldn't believe, even indoors. One time I wrapped a Nokia in saran wrap and it was good for two weeks before I changed it, and even then it was fine.
    02-02-10 04:12 AM
    Just from the pics of the otterbox I didn't order it because it wouldn't help my cause, plus, people said that the commuter silicone gets a TON of dust stuck to it, leaving the fact that the silicone stops right at the edges of the screen)
    That's the other reason I avoided the Commuter; the Defender has the silicon on the outside, but the screen is bordered by the plastic shell.
    02-02-10 04:45 AM
    Well I have the commuter case and I do deal with dust but its not a major problem in my eyes

02-02-10 06:01 AM
    So the commuter wont solve the dust problem? The defender is $50, and get in and out of a pocket that well... and the other casemate item is a silicone huh?
    02-02-10 07:37 AM
    Is the s2 having dust problems also? Or is this a preemptive question?

02-02-10 07:44 AM

No not any problems yet... I just want to prevent a problem from happening. I not a phone on the hip guy (anymore) and I also go to the gym so I wanted something durable fits into small pockets and prevents dust and sweaty palms from bothering it.
    02-02-10 07:57 AM
    I have a s1 and I use the epic resin case and no scren protector and I have no dust. I also always keep my phone in my pocket and I am always using it. I think that dust is a phone specific problem....my first phone 2 months lots of dust....replacement 10 months no dust.
    Except for the guy in the desert in that environment I guess plastic wrap is the best bet (what a pain that must be)

02-02-10 08:26 AM
    I would suggest just getting the defender possibly. Don't bother putting it in your pocket, no case is going to keep the dust out of your phone if you keep your phone in your pocket all the time.

I have the Otterbox Commuter, and a seidio locking holster. I love it. I bought it before the defender came out.. the Defender appears to be a nice case, but with it being silicone on the back, it may not be easy to put in your pocket.
    02-02-10 08:36 AM
    Amzer-Full-Body-Silicone-Skin-Jelly-Case

To be honest, that would be the best one (but it's for the original storm.)

I wrote them and they said that "soon" it will be available for the storm2.... cut to 2 months later and still no case! Lol. But that one is probably the best for anti-dust
    02-02-10 08:50 AM

I got the Defender for my S2 since I'd gotten a Defender for my last phone, it's due to work being dusty/dirty - I take it out of the case on Friday and put it back in before work on Monday. On weekends I carry in my pocket with the chrome Verizon case because I'm still searching for a non-work case lol

02-02-10 10:41 AM
    I just use an Epik resin case for mine and I keep it in my pocket more than I should. I have no dust issues at all, and the resin case is not sticky. Its easy to pull in and out of your pocket or holster, does not collect dust on the case, yet it has just enough "grip" to it to make it feel very nice in your hands.

And they're like $5 - $6, depending on if you buy it from Hong Kong on eBay, or from Degasis.net in the US.
    02-02-10 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD