03-17-10 11:36 AM
28 12
tools
    What is the best 16GB card to get for my Curve 8520?
    I am not very technical minded so please speak in English and not tech talk!! Thanks
    03-08-10 10:04 AM
    You cant go wrong with Sandisk, in my opinion.
    03-08-10 10:11 AM
    Thanks, I saw all the different ones available and got a tad confused!!!!
    Any ideas on where to cheaply buy one from?
    03-08-10 11:50 AM
    The Sandisk 16gb are only Class 2 speed last time I checked, which is slow. I use an A-Data Class 6 and have been very happy with it. I bought mine from THEMEMSTORE on Amazon.com. You can also get good deals from meritline.com and supermediastore.com if you are located in the USA.

Here is link to card I bought: Amazon.com: A-DATA Turbo 16 GB Class 6 microSDHC Flash Memory Card with SD Adapter AUSDH16GCL6-RA1: Electronics
    Last edited by jackbox; 03-08-10 at 12:11 PM.
    03-08-10 12:01 PM
    03-08-10 10:21 PM
    Personally, for the money, Ive used a ton of SanDisk and have never had a problem with them. You can get a 16GB for around $25 if you shop a little.
    03-08-10 10:36 PM
    SanDisk is what I use. Most reliable in my opinion. You could find cheaper off brands but I don't know of their reliability. Just depends what you need it for. Check out tigerdirect.com or their real store if you have one near you.

A-data is also pretty good I think

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-10 11:23 PM
    Personally, for the money, Ive used a ton of SanDisk and have never had a problem with them. You can get a 16GB for around $25 if you shop a little.
    If a Sandisk is that cheap then it is a Chinese counterfeit and not authentic Sandisk. The counterfeit cards are pure junk.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-09-10 01:01 AM
    If a Sandisk is that cheap then it is a Chinese counterfeit and not authentic Sandisk. The counterfeit cards are pure junk.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Nope, you are comparing apples and oranges. The class 2 cards from SanDisk are that low. The other cards are much higher in price because they are class 6 cards thereby demanding a price premium. I can go to at least a dozen different retailers and find the SanDisk card for $25.00 +/- $2.00. All are reputable dealers and retailers.
    03-09-10 09:51 PM
    Orange is UK right?

Go play.co.uk, you'll find very good prices on the sandisk cards there.
    I got a 8gb one thou.
    03-10-10 07:14 AM
    Nope, you are comparing apples and oranges. The class 2 cards from SanDisk are that low. The other cards are much higher in price because they are class 6 cards thereby demanding a price premium. I can go to at least a dozen different retailers and find the SanDisk card for $25.00 +/- $2.00. All are reputable dealers and retailers.
    SanDisk does not make a class 6 16G card and I'm pretty sure they don't make an 8GB one either. The highest class of card they are advertising is class 4.

Kingston has announced class 10 cards but they won't be cheap! Adata and Transcend make class 6 cards but the reviews were mixed so I bought the SanDisk class 4s (Ultra Mobile). They work pretty well.
    03-10-10 07:20 AM
    Really now people... Why do we need such fast and expensive things?
    I mean, she's not going to run Windows 7 on it...
    It's for the Blackberry, storing music, pics, documents... I'm quite sure a SanDisk SDHC 16gb would do... for probably 80% of all BlackBerry userbase...

Just my 2/12 of cent and feel free to ignore it.
    03-10-10 07:27 AM
    Your price quoted is ridiculously low. The three most reliably low price retailers in the USA for these type of cards are Fry's Electronics, Newegg, Meritline and Super Media Store. Their current prices for the Sandisk 16gb Class 2 card are $59.90, $49.49, $49.95 and $43.99, respectively. If you are buying a card for the price you say then I still contend it is a counterfeit card. Some reputable dealers have been duped by less than reputable distributors. Some of the giant and well known office stores in the USA were unknowingly selling counterfeit memory cards. Once their were notified they pulled them immediately and offered full refunds.

You can buy an 8gb Sandisk for the price you say but not a genuine 16gb.
    Last edited by jackbox; 03-10-10 at 07:54 AM.
    03-10-10 07:51 AM
    @diego I'll tell you why, amigo! The faster card saves you time sideloading. If you have big documents or a music library to refresh, it's painful to sit there for a long time connected to your PC when you could be doing it many times faster. Same thing when you are using the card data, especially for videos, the speed can make a difference in how smooth the video and sound play. More speed is almost always a win. I calculate the price per GB with speed factored in and I usually buy something in the middle, because the high-end cards usually cost a lot more than the midrange card without much additional benefit.

In this case where I also have a phone that can actually run apps off the card (not my BB) this speed is also important.
    03-10-10 07:55 AM
    Ya and on walmart.com, for instance, the Sandisk 16g class 2 MicoSD is $84.84, $100 on bestbuy.com. So I'm assuming if you got one for $25 it's a fake. I got a fake one before I knew they even had fake ones. The card worked fine but the adapter didn't work at all. Can I ask why you need such a big card?
    03-10-10 08:35 AM
    That's kind of personal, ain't it Jen?

16G isn't even a big card these days. The 32s will be out soon if not already and after that who knows?

I guess you were asking the OP but in my case I realized from going from floppys to CDs to DVDs and now DVDs aren't even big enough, data always grows and buying more storage than you need is always a safe bet.
    03-10-10 08:40 AM
    That's kind of personal, ain't it Jen?

16G isn't even a big card these days. The 32s will be out soon if not already and after that who knows?

I guess you were asking the OP but in my case I realized from going from floppys to CDs to DVDs and now DVDs aren't even big enough, data always grows and buying more storage than you need is always a safe bet.
    It was just a question, for the OP. They said they didn't know that much about it so was wondering if they could use a smaller one because they are so expensive. Personally I spent $200 for my phone and wouldn't spend half the price of my phone for an SD card. But that's just me. I use the 2g it came with.
    03-10-10 08:51 AM
    Not every device comes with a card, so it really depends on a lot of factors, like you said. I don't blame you for not wanting to buy a hundred dollar card. The high end cards are really expensive.
    03-10-10 08:56 AM
    You cant go wrong with Sandisk, in my opinion.
    Couldn't be more correct. Sand disk is the way forward
    03-10-10 09:01 AM
    @diego I'll tell you why, amigo! The faster card saves you time sideloading. If you have big documents or a music library to refresh, it's painful to sit there for a long time connected to your PC when you could be doing it many times faster. Same thing when you are using the card data, especially for videos, the speed can make a difference in how smooth the video and sound play. More speed is almost always a win. I calculate the price per GB with speed factored in and I usually buy something in the middle, because the high-end cards usually cost a lot more than the midrange card without much additional benefit.

In this case where I also have a phone that can actually run apps off the card (not my BB) this speed is also important.
    Why do I feel like it's not the 1st time I see you use portuguese words...

Anyway, care to share the equation? It sounds rather useful!

Yuo have a great point and it validades mine is sorts, as you said, BBs won't run apps from the card, and most fo the times, the high-end cards won't deliver as much as mid-end for what they cost. So if it's just media, I don't think she needs to spend too much money (i.e. going for Class 6 card).

But tell me about the equation por favor!!
    03-10-10 09:25 AM
    It's nothing complicated, I just look at the price per GB and the speed ratings. You can see the midrange card usually is the most economical. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but for example: if a 2GB card costs $30, an 8GB card costs $40 and a 16GB costs $75 then I figure the 2GB card is not worth buying, when for an additional 30% I get 400% more storage. Then I see the 16GB card costs less than twice the 8GB card but has twice the storage. Just from a price per GB the 16G is the best deal. You have to work the actual numbers, but you can see my thinking.

As far as the speed, it's also to be factored in. I don't remember the data rates but a class 6 card is 3 times faster than a class 2 card. But it can also be more than 3 times more expensive. So it may not be worth it.

But I don't agree the high speed cards aren't useful for BB. As I said the transfer speed when loading data is a big difference. And video playback is also affected.

Ate logo!
    03-10-10 09:37 AM
    De acordo... But didn't say it was not usefurl for BB, just not useful for most users. Don't you agree most people just need something to stuff info in?

Thanks for explainig the logics, but I was expecting some interesting equation. :P
    03-10-10 12:25 PM
    Sorry for the disappointment, I'm no mathematician...but I can calculate unit prices

I think it gets back to the price per unit and what's a good value. That's what I look at. It seems to usually but not always be the higher end micro SDHC card

But when I bought camera cards recently I saw the middle card was a much better deal. The high-end cards were disproportionately expensive. You have to consider your own needs and budget, etc. Add to this some people like to have the best of things whether they need it or not, and many people want the best multimedia performance they can get. If you're going to be downloading big files often or watching movies, a fast card will make a noticeable difference.
    03-10-10 12:39 PM
    Really now people... Why do we need such fast and expensive things?
    I mean, she's not going to run Windows 7 on it...
    It's for the Blackberry, storing music, pics, documents... I'm quite sure a SanDisk SDHC 16gb would do... for probably 80% of all BlackBerry userbase...

Just my 2/12 of cent and feel free to ignore it.
    You are correct. I use a SanDisk 2gig card, class 2, without any issues. I was just pointing out that if you do desire the speed, there are plenty of options and they aren't that expensive. My preference is also for SanDisk. I have three of their flash drives and all the microSD cards in the 4 phones in our family are also SanDisk, as well as all the SD cards in the digital cameras. You can't beat the quality or the price in my opinion.
    03-10-10 09:13 PM
    You can easily beat the price. They're the most expensive cards around. But that's because they almost always work.
    03-11-10 03:19 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD