Okay, I've searched the forums and come up with nothing similar, so I'll tell my tale as a possible warning...

I had a job that was going to be in the Bakersfield sun for 6 days. I ran out of Bullfrog and the local store didn't have any, so I purchased some Coppertone Sport SPF50 sunblock.

I applied it as one usually applies such stuff. The effects on me were predictable - no sunburn after 10 hours per day for 6 days in the sun.

The effects on my effects were a BIG surprise -

1) The paint on the bottom and side of the blue, Seidio hard case on my Curve was completely stripped off (the plastic underneath is clear). The paint was stripped off where my fingers touched it. I'm SOOOO glad it was the Seidio that took the beating, and not my Curve.

2) Paint was stripped off my Plantronics 510 at two points - exactly where it made contact with my skin while wearing it.

3) The clear plastic face of a counter I was using became cloudy and smeared making the numbers hard to read - I was touching the plastic window while pressing the counter.

4) The rubberized, plastic grip on my mechanical pencil melted away - I mean, almost gone.

Okay, I realize the sunblock is there to protect me. But I have to wonder if a substance that strips paint and melts plastic might do more harm than good.

Regardless, beware when using sunblock (at least the Coppertone Sport variety) that residue on your skin may damage your Berry.
    06-27-08 12:23 PM
    Holy cow.

I wonder if the paints and plastics were oil soluble in some manner?
    06-27-08 12:25 PM
    holy crap! if it does that to plastic and metal, what is it doing to your SKIN???
    06-27-08 12:27 PM
    Yeah... skin and liver. Both occurred to me.
    06-27-08 12:53 PM
    OMG, good to know...I am waiting for a new case and am going to the beach this weekend...thanks for the heads up. >oo<
    06-27-08 02:07 PM
    OMG, good to know...I am waiting for a new case and am going to the beach this weekend...thanks for the heads up. >oo<
    Yeah, I don't know what brands will do this (except for CT Sport), but I thought other people might want to know. I wish I'd known. My almost new case now looks very bad.
    06-27-08 02:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD