For the past two weeks, my Storm wont charge on the wall charger. But on my usb charger for the computer, it charges fine. Sometime i charges on the wall charger, but usually i have to mess with the cable first. There is nothing wrong with the cable, i have checked and looked all over it.

Does anyone know why???
    12-14-09 05:02 PM
    Well there is probably a short in the cord. Even if you cant see it from the outside there could be some stripped wires on the inside. Try charging it on a friends wall charger and see if it charges normal. If it does, then you need a new wall charger
    12-14-09 05:09 PM
    Not to sound like a jer k, but is the outlet your using on a wall switch? Friend of mine did that once, happens to the best of us. Just an idea
    12-14-09 05:16 PM
    Well there is probably a short in the cord. Even if you cant see it from the outside there could be some stripped wires on the inside. Try charging it on a friends wall charger and see if it charges normal. If it does, then you need a new wall charger
    I kinda can't do that because i am the only one with a Blackberry. Everyone else as an iPhone...

And my charger is connected to a regular wall outlet...
    12-14-09 05:46 PM
    Set your Blackberry to turn on the clock when charging and plug the wall charger in. If the clock comes on right away, then very slowly move the cord around near were it attaches to the USB tip ( there is a section of wire that is inside a neck piece off of the plug ), if the clock turns off at all, the charger is bad.
    If the clock does not come on when you plug it in, do the same with the cord. If the clock comes on after moving the wire around a bit, then the charger is bad.
    12-14-09 06:09 PM
    Has happened to me on two seperate Storms and it got worse until it would not charge anymore and eventually could not connect by USB to the computer. It is a bad port. Take it back to Verizon while it is still under waranty and they will swap it out no questions asked.

Back up now before it stops being able to do so....................!
    12-14-09 08:11 PM
    Set your Blackberry to turn on the clock when charging and plug the wall charger in. If the clock comes on right away, then very slowly move the cord around near were it attaches to the USB tip ( there is a section of wire that is inside a neck piece off of the plug ), if the clock turns off at all, the charger is bad.
    If the clock does not come on when you plug it in, do the same with the cord. If the clock comes on after moving the wire around a bit, then the charger is bad.
    Good idea, ill try this out...
    I have insurance on my storm, and if i use it to get a replacement phone will it come with a new charger as well or just the phone? I would rather pay 50 bucks and get everything new( or refurbished phone) than to pay 20 bucks for a charger.
    12-15-09 12:21 AM
    Well its your call, but if its just the charger I would just replace the charger. If you go the replace the device route(which most likely will be the device sans accessories) you will get a refurb. And as many people will attest, you never know what you're gonna get. If the phone is ok and its only a charger problem, just replace the charger. IMHO

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-09 12:37 AM
    Does a charger come with the replacement?

12-15-09 08:30 AM
    Does a charger come with the replacement?

No, usually a replacement phone is just that -- the phone, frequently that doesn't even include the battery or battery cover.
    12-15-09 08:37 AM
    That sucks.. Does anyone know were I can get a charger that's not from the internet?

12-15-09 09:00 AM
    Assuming the charger for the Storm is either Mini-USB or Micro-USB, the charger is pretty generic. Heck, I can charge my Pearl Flip (which uses micro-USB) with the charger from my Motoroal Bluetooth headset.
    12-15-09 10:38 AM
    That sucks.. Does anyone know were I can get a charger that's not from the internet?

Verizon store(s) or dealers. BestBuy or such box stores. RadioShack or such electronics stores.
    Try to stay with a Blackberry brand wall charger, the Verizon CS don't like it when you try to get service/warranty on a phone that has been used with an off-brand part. Not that there really is any difference, it just may save you some unneeded flak.
    12-15-09 12:00 PM
    If it is the charger, I believe Verizon (if you're still under the one year warranty) will replace your charger. Some people forget but everything in the retail packaging are (unless I was given a break by the CSR at Verizon store and that CSR gave me the wrong information, which we know happens all the time) covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
    12-15-09 03:50 PM
    If it is the charger, I believe Verizon (if you're still under the one year warranty) will replace your charger. Some people forget but everything in the retail packaging are (unless I was given a break by the CSR at Verizon store and that CSR gave me the wrong information, which we know happens all the time) covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
    I'm still under the one year warranty. Ill probably try this and hope it works.

Thanks everyone for your help
    12-15-09 05:45 PM
    I'm still under the one year warranty. Ill probably try this and hope it works.

Thanks everyone for your help
    So did you get a new charger from Verizon?
    12-21-09 02:08 PM
    So did you get a new charger from Verizon?
    I haven't had time. I should go either today or tomorrow. Ill let u guys know what happens.

12-21-09 03:07 PM
    Assuming the charger for the Storm is either Mini-USB or Micro-USB, the charger is pretty generic. Heck, I can charge my Pearl Flip (which uses micro-USB) with the charger from my Motoroal Bluetooth headset.
    The Storm charger uses a microUSB plug, but it is NOT generic. The USB standard is 5V, 500 mA, but the Storm charger puts out six volts @ 700 mA.

You can charge a Storm from a USB port as long as the battery is not completely discharged, but if it gets depleted to a point where the phone won't power up, USB charging usually won't work and you need the extra current from the OEM charger.

Last edited by rlmesq; 12-22-09 at 10:30 AM.
    12-22-09 10:27 AM
    mines same way but like others said just swap it out for a new 1 at vzw
    12-23-09 07:36 AM
    I think I may have had this same problem last night, so I thought I would get in on this thread.

My battery meter was in the yellow, and a few seconds after I plugged my phone into the charger, after not getting the little lightning bolt on top of the battery icon, I got a message that said something about the phone not recognizing the USB cable. I think it suggested that the USB cord wasn't BlackBerry-issued or something and that I should try a compatible device. I had to click OK. I just left the phone plugged in because I didn't know what else to do.

But after my battery meter had dipped into the red for a few minutes, it started charging. I'd done nothing else to the phone. Any ideas? Is this the same issue?

Edit: I searched more and a lot of people had this problem after upgrading to .328, so I will try reloading the OS.
    Last edited by JLMitchell; 12-27-09 at 04:00 PM. Reason: I can't type
    12-27-09 03:45 PM
    take your phone and your charger to the store. if your phone charges on one of their chargers, and one of their storms will not charge on your charger, that means your charger is bad and you should politely ask if they will trade the charger for one that works. my first storm stopped charging the right way and it turned out that the charger was fine and the storm was just ********. if its the phone that sucks you should be able to just exchange it for a new one (assuming its less then a year old). its a pretty common thing for the storm. i know people who had to go through 3 before they got one that didnt suck.
    12-27-09 05:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD